Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Thanks for judging. 

Anyways, I'm here's to hoping that Oubre puts in the work over the summer and over the course of the season.  I think him being 2-3 years away is accurate.  That being said, maybe later in the season, he can carve a niche for himself in the rotation (hopeful thinking) and get somewhere between 10-15 min per night.  I think that's the best case scenario. 

Best case scenario for me would be Oubre coming out breathing fire and hitting that jumper and carving out a spot coming off the bench for 20+ minutes a game this season.  He's confident, that's for sure.  And he can play the passing lanes, run the floor and finish, and knock down trailing threes.  So you can see NBA type plays that are in his repertoire right now.

But I think you're right that he's at least two years away.  The game is going to be so fast for him. We really need to find a way to keep it simple for him this season.  Just focus on doing a couple of things on the court, and don't match him up with their best perimeter scorers.

But Oubre might have to play this year.  Otto and Beal can't play 48 minutes a game.  If Pierce leaves, we really don't have anyone else behind them.  Heaven help us if one were to get hurt.

I don't know, maybe Webster isn't done and he can make a come back.  But It sure looked like he was last year.  I think we're going to have to make a trade or get lucky with a cheap signing to find someone who can eat up minutes at SF or else Oubre is going to have to play.

And we also need a back up SG that is a real shooter.  I've looked at the FA guard class and it isn't very appealing, so I don't know where we're going to get one.  Going to have to make a trade I think.

The ginger kid from Iowa that we picked actually looks decent.  His numbers are very good, he is more athletic than you think, and he has a decent jumper.  I think he could be a player for us at some point.  I'd love for him to make the team this season, especially if we don't keep Gooden or Seraphin.

Speaking of which, if we lose Seraphin, unless Nene is willing to fill the role, we are going to need a back up C.

The ginger kid from Iowa that we picked actually looks decent.  His numbers are very good, he is more athletic than you think, and he has a decent jumper.  I think he could be a player for us at some point.  I'd love for him to make the team this season, especially if we don't keep Gooden or Seraphin.

Speaking of which, if we lose Seraphin, unless Nene is willing to fill the role, we are going to need a back up C.

Nene has already said he'll play center...though he's not thrilled with it.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/wizards-no-longer-a-lottery-team-but-they-hope-to-cash-in-on-kelly-oubre-jr/2015/06/25/d2773a3e-1b81-11e5-93b7-5eddc056ad8a_story.html?postshare=7571435326956712

Wizards no longer a lottery team, but they hope to cash in on Kelly Oubre Jr.

With some patience and development, the Wizards might wind up with a steal in a draft that turned wild Thursday night. They didn’t play it safe and choose a decent player. The Wizards went for the highest reward possible, figuring they have a strong enough core to absorb the enormous risk of such an unrefined youngster. Oubre is a lottery-type talent, a 6-foot-7 small forward with a ridiculous 7-2 wingspan and the defensive potential to match those long arms.

The NBA draft is so much about potential now. As a team that advanced to the second round of the playoffs this past season, the Wizards had two options in this deep and intriguing draft: Target a lower-ceiling player who could help a little now, which likely would have been a backup big man. Or use their solid current roster as reason to take a chance on a player who could be much better in the long run.

“He gives us something different,” Grunfeld said.

He gives the Wizards an athlete who can run with John Wall. Eventually, he should be able to have an impact without having plays run for him. And even if Oubre doesn’t reach his full potential, even if he doesn’t become the jewel he declared he would, he still can become a useful player in an NBA rotation.

Who was the last undrafted player to have any kind of impact on a roster?

not criticizing Wells, just genuinely curious

I'm sure there's been a few though I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Most of the guys I can think of went to the D-league/overseas before having an impact.

Wells, a 6-4 shooting guard who averaged 15 points as a senior for the Terrapins, is expected to make the 15-man roster for the 2015-16 season because of his ability to score and it fills a need off the bench.

Certainly not because he's Walls buddy. That has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

Oubre: "I'm blessed to be apart of this organization, I'm ready to work. I want to help this team win games." #WizDraft

Oubre: "I play with a chip on my shoulder, if you say I can't do something, I'm going to work my tail off to prove that I can." #WizDraft

Oubre says one area he wants to improve is ball handling, wants to be able to help the other guards #WizDraft

Grunfeld: "We feel good about the pieces we're putting together here for the short term and the long term." #WizDraft

Two second round picks on the surface may not seem that bad, but I'm not thrilled about giving them up.

When I saw we drafted Jerian Grant, I was like oh nice, a really good backup PG for Wall.  Then I learned we traded for Oubre.

Time will only tell. 

I'm also not sold on our big men.  I think that is what this team is lacking.  Someone who can *ahem* rebound.

Does he realize we'd toss him into the Potomac if it got us a chance to get Durant? I like the confidence but there are limits.

I heard on the radio that Durant stated he hoped the Wizards would get Oubre on IG. After that, the Wizards made the trade to get him. Coincidence or nah? 

Aaron White's agent said White, picked 49th last night, will play SL then decide whether or not to go overseas next season. #Wizards

Oubre said he was buried on the bench early last season because Self wanted him to become a 2-way player. Said he eventually bought in.