Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Williams vs Mario Williams predictions (also my 1,000th post!!!)

DeadExField

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Poll added

After a good (not perfect) performance against a hungry D. Ware, how do you think Trent fairs against possibly an even hungrier Mario Williams? I think he will play smart, but the Texans have tape on him now so they might scheme some this week.

its been said that Mario Williams primarily plays opposite of the LT, but I've seen him move around so who knows...

He'll get beat here and there, and need help on certain plays. But i expect him to hold his ground for the most part. Everything i've seen, or read, about him and his attitude tells me that even if he starts off getting beat, he'll get so angry he'll start punishing Mario every chance he gets.

I just hope he plays smart.

All, I can say is as good as Ware is Super Mario is better (possibly the best Defensive End in the league). So if Trent Williams can control him as well as he controlled Ware then we know we've got a star left tackle in the making.

Ummm... I think Dwight Freeney, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, and even Trent Cole might disagree w/ your statement.

Ummm... I think Dwight Freeney, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, and even Trent Cole might disagree w/ your statement.

Agreed. Living in Louisiana, the games on CBS are Texans games, so I've seen Mario Williams play a lot. He's a great talent, don't get me wrong, but he either has a stellar game or he's invisible. He did great against the Colts, but the Colts LT is young and inexperience, and no where near the talent of Trent Willams. I'm not saying Trent is going to dominate, but I think he'll hold up against Williams.

Neither...I don't think either will "dominate" I think Trent will hold his own but will get beaten once or twice. So Mario will get his, but I think the Rook will do a decent job.

This.

Mario Williams will be an even bigger physical challenge than Ware. He will be a different type of challenge, not quite the speed or pass rush moves but a lot more power and strength. It will be interesting to see how Trent goes not just in pass pro but can he get some movement on running plays.

Hard to see any tackle in the NFL 'dominating' Mario Williams but I expect Trent to hold his own and for us not to have to gameplan based on that matchup which is a great compliment to Trent.

I will give you Peppers. I will also take Freeney and Allen over Mario as pure pass rushers but IMO Mario is a better all round DE than both Freeney and Allen who can both be liabilties against the run. Cole does not belong in this discussion.

I don't think a lot of people understand just how good Mario Williams is. The guy is a stud. I'd agree with the assessment that he's the overall best defensive end in football... yes, I think he's better than Peppers. The guy is a flat out monster and will be an incredible challenge to Trent Williams. In fact, I'd venture that Trent has a much rougher week this week than he did last week, but I still think he'll hold his own.

What a way to start your rookie season. The (arguably) best pass rushing OLB in the NFL in week one and the (arguably) best defensive end in football in back to back weeks. After these two weeks he'll be ready for anything :ols:

what kind of rusher is he? finesse, power, both?

Both. The guy is a man-child. He's not quite as quick as a DeMarcus Ware or Dwight Freeney, but he's got good speed and agility combined with damned good strength. The guy can flat out play the game.

I think Trent will mostly do his job, but that MW will get a sack and a couple of pressures. Trent's still a rookie after all. That said, I think Mario was better last week than he'll be this week because of the difference in teams. Houston was gunning for the Colts with all they had. 1-15 lifetime, they watned to make a statement, and the D had to step up for that to happen. I think this week they'll have a lot less emotion and have a bit of a letdown as a result.

I voted for Trent, because even allowing one sack to Ware wasn't being "dominated", yet holding Ware to 0 sacks wouldn't have been "dominating" either, IMO.

I think he'll do a great job. After seeing him play as well as he did against the #1 pass-rusher in the league, for his FIRST game, I'm not sure how you could vote against him.

Even Dallas' beat writers are saying Williams and Ware were one-on-one for most of the game:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/18279/trent-williams-had-a-nice-debut

It's really promising when even the Dallas homers are willing to say he did a pretty great job against one of their own.

Archived