Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

The comment "We were just growing fond of the Bavarian Troll and Richmond" is kind of sad. This is the side, talk about whatever you want, section on a Redskins message board. I can see if this was (offensive joke URL MOD edited), but it is not.

Also, looking at the Table, they better hurry up or the FA Cup and that Capital Cup will be the only thing they play for next year.

Back to soccer, Athletico is a tough team and they know Barca. I would like to see a Bayern vs MC semi. Also, be lots of story lines with Pep going there next year, and let Madrids battle it out. Still not convinced they have the back line to win it this year. Have to wait and see.

So, back to Red this, Red that, I stole another ball boy, trainer, guy who carries the towels and some player that hasn't seen the field a lot this year. That said, I like the move for Gotze, but don't make it sound like it is a big loss for Bayern.

• Like 1

Bayern is going after Sanchez apparently. Interesting move. Honestly I think a defender is the way to go. Striker and winger is set. Maybe a good midfielder to store up the middle of the formation but honestly defender is the biggest need.

If bayern get a quality centre half that allow them to move javi Martinez back into midfield to shore up the midfield. Losing badstuber for successive seasons has hurt bayern. Glad barca are out, partly because I have dislike of them, but also blows the champions league wide open. Can make a case for any of the sides winning it but would have to peg Real as favourites.(slim margins though). Edited by Wellred93
  • Like 1

Again the Pool folks just don't work in reality.

Youse constantly need to call out Bayern in some desperate attempt to reclaim lost glory.

Notice I never posted anything during your europa match last week, nothing at all.  I don't need to say anything about Pool to make myself feel better.  And posting the truth is not trolling.  You Pool folks love to throw around your weight to EPL sides, but get all butt-hurt when someone else comes in here.

Bayern is going after Sanchez apparently. Interesting move. Honestly I think a defender is the way to go. Striker and winger is set. Maybe a good midfielder to store up the middle of the formation but honestly defender is the biggest need.

If bayern get a quality centre half that allow them to move javi Martinez back into midfield to shore up the midfield. Losing badstuber for successive seasons has hurt bayern. Glad barca are out, partly because I have dislike of them, but also blows the champions league wide open. Can make a case for any of the sides winning it but would have to peg Real as favourites.(slim margins though).

As for Bayern, they don't need Sanchez, but he would be a nice to have.  As RR and Wellred63 said above, they need another quality center back with some pace to Javi move to his preferred defensive midfield.  I think Ancelotti will be able to find someone to add.

For now, no suspensions in next round, hopefully Boateng is back, and they keep it going.

Mia San Mia

Edited by btfoom

If Ramos and Ronaldo did turn into their summer transfer requests mercy. I don't know I'd want Ronaldo (Even if he's my favorite players). I feel like we'd try to play through him too much. Now Ramos I would want. He's a solid defender and great on set pieces. Damn Real has so much talent rotting on the bench too. Rodriguez has got to be frustrated. I think we wouldn't be a bad replacement for Gotze. Nice compliment to Thiago.

Offensive URL MOD edited

That comment is pure bull****, callous, and makes you look like an ass. Especially 48 hours before the anniversary. Pretend to have some modicum of respect and decency... at the very least for GHH who experienced that he'll first hand.

You want to talk soccer? So talk it. I only see you hear to talk **** when you have plenty of backup. If you'd come around more and bring some actual substance with you, this wouldn't be the red circle jerk you seem to think it is. At least bt sometimes talks soccer without the bull****.

Right.

I've edited the pretend URL out of Fred's post above and out of the post in which its quoted. Given the nature of the events that URL was poking a stick at it was, at best, distasteful. There are some things you don't joke about, especially in a thread about football (soccer).

No one else needs to comment on this. Just talk about soccer - fans of teams other than Liverpool are very welcome to talk about their clubs in here as well by the way.

Hard to have legit soccer convo on the Liverpool board.

"Klopp is awesome."

"Kop is the best stadium ever."

"Every other team sucks."

If you aren't a Liverpool fan you suck."

"We have 5 Cups that are better than everyone else even if they are rusting. Real has 10? No those are fake. We have the most. Trust me I'm a doctor."

"We don't spend major money so we're cooler than you."

Anything else?

You acting like a pre-pubescent teenage girl having a hissy fit because her favourite boyband isn't number #1?

Don't pander to the idiots. It brings you down to their level and you end up looking as small time as them. 

Although to be fair Klopp is awesome so you at least started off right.  :D.

Not sure exactly what went down here the last 2 pages but glad I wasn't a part of it. 

Hail. 

Lack of technical ability, low soccer IQ, no tactical education, poor American coaches who are obsessed with raw athleticism.

I've just moved to Arizona from the UK. Both my boys are playing club soccer.

I've been favourably impressed. They are playing at a good club, eldest sons age group are nationally ranked and the younger sons age group team are not quite as strong but they are still one of the better sides in the State. Both my sons played at a high competitive level in the UK - youngest son was in a pro teams academy so I'm used to watching the best young players in the UK at various age groups.

The US kids have excellent technical ability. Excellent. The better kids would survive in an academy environment from a technical perspective. The coaching I have seen has been very good overall - not quite what I've seen in pro academies but better than what I saw in club football in the UK. Tactical and team shape training is OK at this club - but it is an area that could be improved.

Goalkeeping coaching is not as good at this club as we are used to but we have been spoiled in that area and it's something I can cover for personally anyway.

Where things do fall down a bit is on the football IQ side - especially in the final third. All those technical skills are great but too often there is not enough final product - not enough penetrating passes into the final third, when the ball does get into the final third not enough penetration into the box, players not running past the ball, too much over playing on the ball.

Players have to learn how to use those great technical skills to a purpose.

Now I'm only 2 months in. Not seen that many games yet. But I'm telling you the talent is there at youth level.

IMO the club structure and fees system is choking it though. At least around here most of these clubs are businesses - $2500 a year to join plus uniform and league fees plus travel costs if your playing State cup or regional competitions beyond State level. It's a middle class sport. Heaven knows what talent is priced out of the sport.

• Like 2

$2500 ..... What's that, 1700 quid or so? Plus having to buy the kit etc.

Frigging Hell. I'd NEVER of played Sat'day/ Sunday League growing up if my parents had to pay anything like that because we just didn't have anything like that. New boots were a luxury. I appreciate change times and different cultures but that's absolutely scandalous.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 4

Ok. Today's the day. Let's frigging do this!

Already quite a bit of yellow and black in town. (They're awake WAY too early for a LONG day on the ale haha). MASSIVE day. Europa League completely and utterly over shadowing the Champions League for the second straight round. Tie on a knife-edge. Two of the most passionate fanbases in the World. The Klopp factor. The old place will be bouncing on what I anticipate will be one of the all time great Anfield nights.

Can 

Not 

WAIT!

Hail. 
  • Like 2

I think Atletico takes down Real if they match. Barca's defense is what made me think they would get exposed. City really hasn't been battle tested. PSG is obliterating Franch but what does that equate to in Champions league? Right now Dortmund is pushing Bayern which will happen for years to come if their turnaround this year is any indication. Motivated Bayern with Carlos at head. That is a dangerous combo. If Bayern wins in despite the Pep tactics this year (especially on the road) then imagine with Carlos. The big question mark is Robbin. When healthy he's a destroyer but his health is a severe question.

$2500 ..... What's that, 1700 quid or so? Plus having to be the kit etc. 

Frigging Hell. I'd NEVER of played Sat'day/ Sunday League growing up if my parents had to pay anything like that because we just didn't have anything like that. New boots were a luxury. I appreciate change times and different cultures but that's absolutely scandalous. 

Hail. 

Travel over here is a pain in the butt.  There are a few states as big as England.

I suspect a lot of the money goes to that.

Ok. Today's the day. Let's frigging do this!

Already quite a bit of yellow and black in town. (They're awake WAY too early for a LONG day on the ale haha). MASSIVE day. Europa League completely and utterly over shadowing the Champions League for the second straight round. Tie on a knife-edge. Two of the most passionate fanbases in the World. The Klopp factor. The old place will be bouncing on what I anticipate will be one of the all time great Anfield nights.

Nervous wreck today.  Was up late watching playoff hockey then woke up and did squats and leg presses.  I'm not even a little tired.

Between the 2nd Leg and the Caps starting their playoffs tonight I'm a picture of the Sheldon breathing into a paper bag gif.

Glad to see that Dortmund fans are class with their plans to have a "96" mosaic.  Clearly they get what it's all about. 

Hopefully we get them in Champions League in the near future, that's one I'll make for sure.  Nothing but respect.

Where things do fall down a bit is on the football IQ side - especially in the final third. All those technical skills are great but too often there is not enough final product - not enough penetrating passes into the final third, when the ball does get into the final third not enough penetration into the box, players not running past the ball, too much over playing on the ball.

Players have to learn how to use those great technical skills to a purpose.

It really is amazing that this has been my biggest complaint (and our biggest weakness) with the National Team as well.  From picking the right ball on a counter, to working the ball around the 18 in possession and creating a chance.  I think a lot of it is work off the ball and vision. 

I think this next generation is going to get it right if they aren't stifled by the coaching of the previous generation.

Glad your boys have a good club to play for.  I was worried you'd have to leave them in England when I heard you were moving.

Edited by DC9

Had two girls play club soccer here in Charlotte, NC, younger one on a couple nationally ranked clubs.

Costs for me: $1350 per season (2 seasons per year) club fees; $100+ yearly boots; travel to 3 or 4 regional tournaments each season (Richmond, Raleigh, Atlanta, Savannah, Disney World, and the like), and state playoffs after Spring season.

Final tally in the $5000-$6000 yearly area.

She, younger daughter, begged out of club 3 years ago saying she wasn't enjoying the game anymore, and just wanted to play for fun. She now dominates the rec leagues even though she's a couple years younger than many, has a blast, and makes dad happy because he's only paying out about $500 yearly.

Hence, my quote earlier about soccer being a "rich white kids" sport here in the states.

Oh, and GO YOU REDS!!!!!

Have an absolute blast GHH!

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

Im looking forward to the game today. Follow Dortmund haphazardly after first seeing what their atmosphere was like on match day a few years ago, love how they play. Been nice to have the Bundesliga on TV in the US now. But I am mainly hoping to see Pulisic get the winning goal to sink Liverpool. :D

• Like 1

Yeesh. I didn't realize it was so expensive to play soccer here. That's absolutely an issue in regards to not getting some of our top youth athletes into the game. Not saying AAU basketball, travel baseball, or Pop Warner is cheap by any means. But I had no idea soccer cost that much. Typically you hear of hockey and football costing the most simply because of equipment alone. You're out a few hundred bucks before the kid even sets foot on the field just buying pads, cleats, and the like. Hockey much more so considering the cost of skates and the way those pads tend to get worn down.

Exactly my point from earlier, minus the agreement on technical ability.

What club did you end up at?

You observed a funny truth about the attacking third. There's been a movement to "build up like (Pep's) Barca teams" but little to no emphasis on what to do when you get into the attacking third.

It's misleading because at some point someone has to pay the tab. Facilities, trainers, travel ain't cheap. Who foots the bill in the UK? Clubs? parents?

Columbus Crew picks up the tab for their academy players from uniforms to team related travel. But parents have to get them to training and games "individual travel".

The talent is there at youth level and the rest of the world therefore pulls away in the mid teens, because their best get more hours of training, with great trainers and the focus seems to be to get players readybforntuenfirst team or to sell on. Not to win State Cups Or showcase tournaments.

Edited by Elessar78

The emphasis in youth soccer is about touches and individual skill. They don't play 11 v 11 until they are 12 years old. Kids don't understand team concepts. My son plays U10 travel. A majority of the time kids are just taking on other kids. It's tons of 1 v 1. We don't read the game because we don't ask our kids to understand how to play. Go to any youth soccer game and I guarantee you will see kids standing around watching their teammates dribble through as many defenders as they can. You will not see anyone making runs or one touch passing. It's just not taught...

Edited by jobaga
  • Like 1

It's kinda backfired. U10 and younger the training should focus on the individual player, so lots of 1v1s is appropriate BUT... The pendulum swung too far. A decade ago you had youth parent coaches teaching too much team concepts too early so USSF started preaching about individual skills. So now you see the pendulum has swung. But in the most recent USSF curriculum for the u8-u10 they mention multiple times how players should be discouraged from over dribbling.

Very few coaches here know how to bridge the 1v1 into a 2v1 and learning to work with one teammate.

It all goes hand in hand. You'll never develop a player that can play possession soccer if they don't have the confidence that, if you close them down, they won't cough up the ball.

• Like 2

The emphasis in youth soccer is about touches and individual skill. They don't play 11 v 11 until they are 12 years old. Kids don't understand team concepts. My son plays U10 travel. A majority of the time kids are just taking on other kids. It's tons of 1 v 1. We don't read the game because we don't ask our kids to understand how to play. Go to any youth soccer game and I guarantee you will see kids standing around watching their teammates dribble through as many defenders as they can. You will not see anyone making runs or one touch passing. It's just not taught...

Honestly, even if its not taught correctly which would be shocking in itself, if they are kids that like soccer they should know this stuff. A lot of stuff I did while playing baseball and soccer growing up was from watching both of those sports and seeing how the pros played. Just did what they did. I would say the kids that are standing around arent passionate about soccer and arent going to be growing up looking to play.

• Like 1

I think it's a lack of instruction, not passion. Kids just don't know where to go. They are told not to bunch, so they don't go to the ball. The ones that make the runs are not getting rewarded with passes, so they get frustrated. The team concepts are not being taught.

I understand the need to cultivate individual skill, but I think they focus on the wrong aspects of it. Passing, movement, and first touch are all individual skills that are often overlooked. You know immediately the players that are skilled by their first touch. Our kids are not being taught the basics...it's a simple game that we are trying to over complicate.

I think it's a lack of instruction, not passion. Kids just don't know where to go. They are told not to bunch, so they don't go to the ball. The ones that make the runs are not getting rewarded with passes, so they get frustrated. The team concepts are not being taught.

I understand the need to cultivate individual skill, but I think they focus on the wrong aspects of it. Passing, movement, and first touch are all individual skills that are often overlooked. You know immediately the players that are skilled by their first touch. Our kids are not being taught the basics...it's a simple game that we are trying to over complicate.

Its got to also depend on the group/area. I used to play pickup soccer a lot, bunch of random guys/kids getting together to play. Pretty much everybody there knew how to move to the ball, make runs, etc. And there were always different people every time. But that may go back to those that want to get together and play pickup really love soccer.

I still go back to the biggest hindrance to a proper soccer education and proper development in this country is the thought process that everyone has to go to college or they are wasting their lives.

Edited by MisterPinstripe