Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Saw Christian Pulisic in extended duty for Dortmund yesterday. The kid can really play and he's only 17. He created multiple chances and got the assist on Kagawa's goal. Fast and creative.

Is he locked in for USMNT or does Croatia have a shot (grandfather)?

H played in the last WCQ game for us. But it didn't really matter, he was never going to play for them. He got citizenship with them so he could play for Dortmund. Has a grandfather from Croatia but he is as American as they come.

We didn't need to cap tie him or anything.

• Like 3

Here's Tony Evans telling me that I should be rooting for LCFC... but to answer IX, this is why I don't like them.  And no, that doesn't make it any less impressive of a story.  I think it's great for the game, but I don't like them.

Tony Evans @TonyEvans92a 3m3 minutes ago

Tony Evans Retweeted Standard Sport

The 'purists' won't like the Tottenham and Leicester style, but I love it. You can keep your 'beautiful game' stuff.https://twitter.com/standardsport/status/719463873720512512 

Tony Evans added,

CfwMlIHW4AAum9n.jpg
Standard Sport @standardsport
#LCFC & Tottenham will never win prizes for style - it’s great for the #BPL (@TonyEvans92a) http://bit.ly/EvansColumn 

Saw Christian Pulisic in extended duty for Dortmund yesterday. The kid can really play and he's only 17. He created multiple chances and got the assist on Kagawa's goal. Fast and creative. 

Is he locked in for USMNT or does Croatia have a shot (grandfather)?

H played in the last WCQ game for us. But it didn't really matter, he was never going to play for them. He got citizenship with them so he could play for Dortmund. Has a grandfather from Croatia but he is as American as they come.

We didn't need to cap tie him or anything.

Right down to telling the Euros to pronounce his name "Pull-a-Sick" instead of "Pugh-Le-sitch".   Cause "I'm from Pennsylvania and that's how they pronounce it there".

Amazing... take that Rossi.... and don't get me started on Andy Najar

Edited by DC9
  • Like 1

Evans, Scouse red or not, is a pretentious tit.

That is all.

Hail.

Normally spot on with what I think in terms of our club... but he's also a trip on twitter.  When it gets late here (East Coast US) he's up on twitter dropping science at what has to be 2 or 3am Liverpool time :lol:

His well-sauced opinion :lol:

I have no problem with LC winning the title. This title wasn't bought and paid for by some billionaire. It will be won by mostly castoffs and a couple future Barca players. It just makes the Liverpool campaign two years ago that much more painful...

• Like 1

I have no problem with LC winning the title. This title wasn't bought and paid for by some billionaire. It will be won by mostly castoffs and a couple future Barca players. It just makes the Liverpool campaign two years ago that much more painful...

Oh that definitely has something to do with it.

That LFC team walks this league.

Yeah I'm bitter.  And I'm getting older!  Deal with it! :lol:

• Like 1

Vardy has had his off-field troubles, and that's why you'll see a bunch of people show disdain toward him personally.  As for Leicester, I think it's great for the BPL.  All the new TV money is going to add parity.  It's probably not sustainable as Kante and Mahrez are probably gone this summer transfer window.  

Next year I don't think you'll have a team like Leicester in the top 5.  Chelsea by all accounts will be spending big, and as much as I hate to say it Tott'm looks set up for sustainable success.  If Jose goes to ManU they're going to be on the up and you've got Arsenal Man City and Liverpool all probably vying.  Everton will be getting worse before they get better as Lukaku/Stones are primed for a move away.  

Anyway, as long as Tottenham don't win it this year I'm pretty happy.   

Played the 9 in our game tonight... it's bad when a 225lbs, 32 year old is playing the 9... we'll start there.

What's worse is me and my dudes just wanted to have fun in this league, but the team we played tonight showed up in full Arsenal kits from the undefeated season.  I'm talk these boys had names on the backs and numbers on the shorts... matching socks... the whole 9.

We pretty much got played off the park.  It was 5-0 at HT and I was pretty proud of that.  I got two shots on goal the whole match, both from well outside the box.  The lino was a **** and called me off when I was clear in off a well played ball.

Any who... it was a good run out there.  Still had a good time.  I night on the pitch doesn't suck unless your down several men.

BTW, we re-played that team that folded us up last week, but we had them 11 on 11 and we beat them 9-1.

So we're 2-2 on the year right now.  Not sure we're going to make the top 4. :lol:

Vardy has had his off-field troubles, and that's why you'll see a bunch of people show disdain toward him personally.  As for Leicester, I think it's great for the BPL.  All the new TV money is going to add parity.  It's probably not sustainable as Kante and Mahrez are probably gone this summer transfer window.  

Next year I don't think you'll have a team like Leicester in the top 5.  Chelsea by all accounts will be spending big, and as much as I hate to say it Tott'm looks set up for sustainable success.  If Jose goes to ManU they're going to be on the up and you've got Arsenal Man City and Liverpool all probably vying.  Everton will be getting worse before they get better as Lukaku/Stones are primed for a move away.  

Anyway, as long as Tottenham don't win it this year I'm pretty happy.   

Everyone keeps forgetting the Hammers.

They're flirting with 4th right now and their moving into the new Olympic Stadium, thus expanding their funds.

It looks like they can't wait to buy Benteke with it, which is alright with me, but it's a pivotal offseason in East London, too.

• Like 3

Sounds fun DC, thanks for sharing. Wish I could run the pitch still, but age and many years of football (American style), basketball playing and officiating, and soccer officiating have taken a toll on the knees. Never a bad injury, but I've had to hang up my referee boots as I just can't run the line any more (those HS boys are fast!) Without my knees screaming for a couple days after. It's strictly the links for me now, and a nice 4 hour stroll.

Sunday was a blast! Beginning with a nice Reds dismantling of Stoke, minus their best player, then a 3-0 win for my daughter that afternoon. She netted the first on a nice pass from her friend, then returned the favor later. Closed out the scoring with a laser of a corner to the near post that went in off a defender's leg.

The wife and I drove separately, and as we walked over to say goodbye she was all smiles and said, "A goal and two assists, not too bad, huh?"

In typical dad fashion, I went over and whispered in her ear, "Yeah, but you blew to sitters, coulda had the Hatty!"

Any of you who've been blessed with 16 year old daughters will know the look I got, and the dismissive hand flick. Any of you who WILL have a 16 year old daughter...just wait! :)

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

We pretty much got played off the park.  It was 5-0 at HT and I was pretty proud of that.  I got two shots on goal the whole match, both from well outside the box.  The lino was a **** and called me off when I was clear in off a well played ball.

What was the final?  

:lol: Nice, brother!  That's a heck of an outing!  Glad she's playing it in well and finishing well.  Can't think of a much better day than that!  Good job, Dad!

I think a lot of Americans were concerned about Landon Donovan and Abby Wombach retiring around the same time... but I also think that we're about to have some very dangerous youth coming up.  The game is more competative than ever.  And to be honest, this has been a fear of the world for a while... "When will America start taking world football seriously?  Cause when they do, watch out".

We're still a few years off, but we may indeed see a World Cup final appearance in our lifetime.

What was the final?  

Ahem... 8-0.

Weird that we're either dusting someone off or getting dusted off, but I'm pretty sure that's the team that will win the league.  They were ridiculous.

No bueno. You're probably joking, and even if she understands that it's a joke, it doesn't end the day in a positive vibe. 

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/more-family-fun/201202/what-makes-nightmare-sports-parent

Hundreds of college athletes were asked to think back: "What is your worst memory from playing youth and high school sports?"

Their overwhelming response: "The ride home from games with my parents."

The informal survey lasted three decades, initiated by two former longtime coaches who over time became staunch advocates for the player, for the adolescent, for the child. Bruce E. Brown and Rob Miller of Proactive Coaching LLC are devoted to helping adults avoid becoming a nightmare sports parent, speaking at colleges, high schools and youth leagues to more than a million athletes, coaches and parents in the last 12 years.

Those same college athletes were asked what their parents said that made them feel great, that amplified their joy during and after a ballgame.

Their overwhelming response: "I love to watch you play."

Sounds fun DC, thanks for sharing. Wish I could run the pitch still, but age and many years of football (American style), basketball playing and officiating, and soccer officiating have taken a toll on the knees. Never a bad injury, but I've had to hang up my referee boots as I just can't run the line any more (those HS boys are fast!) Without my knees screaming for a couple days after. It's strictly the links for me now, and a nice 4 hour stroll.

Sunday was a blast! Beginning with a nice Reds dismantling of Stoke, minus their best player, then a 3-0 win for my daughter that afternoon. She netted the first on a nice pass from her friend, then returned the favor later. Closed out the scoring with a laser of a corner to the near post that went in off a defender's leg.

The wife and I drove separately, and as we walked over to say goodbye she was all smiles and said, "A goal and two assists, not too bad, huh?"

In typical dad fashion, I went over and whispered in her ear, "Yeah, but you blew to sitters, coulda had the Hatty!"

Any of you who've been blessed with 16 year old daughters will know the look I got, and the dismissive hand flick. Any of you who WILL have a 16 year old daughter...just wait! :)

Coached my daughter from age 3 to 18.  Lots of great times along the way - mostly going to/from games and the tournaments they played.

Just imagine getting that look from a whole squad of 16 year old girls. :D

• Like 1

Coached my daughter from age 3 to 18.  Lots of great times along the way - mostly going to/from games and the tournaments they played.

Just imagine getting that look from a whole squad of 16 year old girls. :D

I am going to wait just a few more years before I get involved in the coaching.  And then yeah... as soon as school starts I'm out :lol:

But yeah... no desire to deal with that many teenage females.  Respect. :lol:

I think a lot of Americans were concerned about Landon Donovan and Abby Wombach retiring around the same time... but I also think that we're about to have some very dangerous youth coming up. The game is more competative than ever. And to be honest, this has been a fear of the world for a while... "When will America start taking world football seriously? Cause when they do, watch out".

We're still a few years off, but we may indeed see a World Cup final appearance in our lifetime.

I've been saying for years that if soccer ever gets "urbanized" like it is in the rest of the world, and doesn't continue to be a rich white kids sport here in the states, it won't be long till the guys are a world power.

Can you imagine a guy with Lebron's measurables and some tactical savvy? He'd be unbelievable. Bigger than Ibra, fast as Ronaldo with a 40" vertical...would be a stone killer striker.

• Like 1

I've been saying for years that if soccer ever gets "urbanized" like it is in the rest of the world, and doesn't continue to be a rich white kids sport here in the states, it won't be long till the guys are a world power.

Can you imagine a guy with Lebron's measurables and some tactical savvy? He'd be unbelievable. Bigger than Ibra, fast as Ronaldo with a 40" vertical...would be a stone killer striker.

I have spent many hours, after a match sitting at a local watering hole, discussing this with a few of my fellow teammates/coaches.

I don't buy the 'we need urban kids' to be good at soccer; at least not for the physical attributes (maybe the determination they bring, like the kids out of the barrios in Latin America/South America).

First, soccer isn't about being the fastest (even ManU considered Bolt, but never materialized), biggest, or strongest.  Soccer is a game of endurance and skill.  Big people tire faster, especially muscular people, due in part to increased metabolism.

Next, the major skills needed aren't physical attributes necessarily, but come down to practice (and natural ability).  Look at the best players in the world right now.  None of them are particularly big, fast, or the best athletes.  Yes, they are good athletes, but the things that make them great are (1) skills and then (2) athletic ability.

Anyway, the more people playing just gives the US a larger pool of players.

• Like 1

I have spent many hours, after a match sitting at a local watering hole, discussing this with a few of my fellow teammates/coaches.

I don't buy the 'we need urban kids' to be good at soccer; at least not for the physical attributes (maybe the determination they bring, like the kids out of the barrios in Latin America/South America).

First, soccer isn't about being the fastest (even ManU considered Bolt, but never materialized), biggest, or strongest.  Soccer is a game of endurance and skill.  Big people tire faster, especially muscular people, due in part to increased metabolism.

Next, the major skills needed aren't physical attributes necessarily, but come down to practice (and natural ability).  Look at the best players in the world right now.  None of them are particularly big, fast, or the best athletes.  Yes, they are good athletes, but the things that make them great are (1) skills and then (2) athletic ability.

I agree with you to an extent. Being fast doesn't just make you good at soccer. But I think the point is valid that when we have more of our top athletes choosing soccer over football or basketball or baseball it will make a big difference. And I do think you are going to see parents preferring their child play soccer as opposed to football.

Obviously we couldn't just stick Lebron how he is now and he be any good at soccer. However, if someone like Lebron grew up playing soccer its a totally different story and he would be built a little differently, and I think thats what most people mean when they talk about our best athletes playing soccer.

• Like 2

Bingo. If all it took was sick physique africa would've won it a long time ago. Jamaica has a strong street soccer culture yet don't produce much.

German, Spanish, Dutch kids aren't exactly "urbanized" yet they do well for themselves. The rest of the world simply has better training and their players get more volume training. Their 10 year olds train 5 days a week with pros compared to 2. American highschoolers go play half a year for their high school and focus on trying to make playoffs and half a year with a club team practicing 2-3 times per week. Their counterparts are with a pro academy 10-12 months, train daily and are focused on development to push into the senior squad. College players have restrictions on contact with the coaching staff, while their counterparts, again, train year round in a professional environment. 

But it's changing with the MLS academies and other USDAs. Hopefully they can swing the tide. 

We wouldn't instantly be world powers, but to say that having our best athletes playing soccer wouldn't make us better I think is a little short sighted. It would definitely have an impact. Better training methods and kids not playing in the college system will of course help a ton, but so will better athletes playing and loving soccer.