Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

He could be dangerous playing along side Suarez.

Only if Suarez didn't have breakfast. 

By mega club, I meant one that spends endless cash buying every player at an inflated price that flashes a modicum of potential. In the short time I've been a fan, I've gotten the sense that FSG and/or Rodgers are looking for relative bargains that can be found in youth, system players, or long in the tooth vets. Mega clubs to me: Barca, Real Madrid, Chelsea, both Manchester teams, Bayern. Liverpool, it seems, would rather spend £20m on a player that may develop into a stud; the others are more likely to buy said stud for £100m.

Now, in terms of history and support? None finer than the Reds.

But that's just me, and I'm new to this.

Clubs spend what they can afford to spend. Manchester City didn't use to have the ability to spend.  Then they fell into a jackpot with foreign investors.  If Liverpool wants/can afford to drop dime they will.  No one holds back trying to get the best players.  True some develop their players more than going out a buying them.  For note Man Utd, Barca, and Liverpool all try to build a fair amount through their academies and youth system.  Unlike Real Madrid and Bayern who take stars from other teams once developed. I would throw Dortmund in the developing category as well since they have become like a feeder system to Bayern lately.

For note any club that is willing to put in the hard work of developing a player because it takes lots of time and patience has my respect.  That's why I have lots of respect for Liverpool even being a Utd supporter.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

The only good thing I'd say is the fella' would walk from Southampton to Liverpool to play as it's his dream move and it looks like Borinis off.

But he's 31, no pace, an average at this level with little experience.

£ 8-10 million. I'll pass.

Hail.

I do like the idea of getting a different type of striker for a specialized role. I would not like it if he was the first striker off the bench (to use a basketball term), but if Liverpool needs to play more direct and want to bring to Lambert to change style I am fine with it. I just don't want this to count as one of their big signings. On a side note, you know Lambert will play his heart out for his boyhood club.

Clubs spend what they can afford to spend. Manchester City didn't use to have the ability to spend. Then they fell into a jackpot with foreign investors. If Liverpool wants/can afford to drop dime they will. No one holds back trying to get the best players. True some develop their players more than going out a buying them. For note Man Utd, Barca, and Liverpool all try to build a fair amount through their academies and youth system. Unlike Real Madrid and Bayern who take stars from other teams once developed. I would throw Dortmund in the developing category as well since they have become like a feeder system to Bayern lately.

For note any club that is willing to put in the hard work of developing a player because it takes lots of time and patience has my respect. That's why I have lots of respect for Liverpool even being a Utd supporter.

Agree with that... I was just giving my reason for not picking a club that buys players, which I (correctly one incorrectly) labeled as a "mega club." Also, since I started following the EPL/BPL late, City has "always" been a big spender. I know now that it hasn't always been the case, but as far as I knew when I was picking a team to support, they were. ManU may or may not be as egregious in buying players (I honestly don't have the historical perspective, distant or recent), but they have certainly seemed the bandwagon team of late. Nothing wrong with that, but I didn't want to follow the Patriots/Cowboys of the BPL.

Enough about that, though...

This whole Man Utd=Cowboys is so overblown.  American compare because it's how they view sports.  Any club with success has a following.  Liverpool will always have tons of followers because of its past history.  Man Utd has supporters because of its past and recent history success.  Man City- supporters are just kind of there.  They weren't before the money rolled in though.  Arsenal-  Moderate success and usually promising seasons.  Chelsea-  Just lots of recent success.  The fans are kind of up and down though.  I remember them walking out at home during a Utd game when it was tied in mass exodus.  But any club with success will have its mass supporters.  If you don't have some kind of mass support/bandwagon group you probably haven't won crap.  In fact I'd say you haven't won crap.

Well...my son set four goals for his soccer season this year.

1) make the team....check

2) make the A team (middle school varsity)....check

3) earn starting keeper position on the A team....check

And as of last night....

4) get called up to play on the High School Junior Varsity team......check

He was one of two sixth graders who have been called up to play on the High School JV team for the Fall season. He will begin summer conditioning just about as soon as school ends for the year. He will also get to attend a four day soccer camp at a leading soccer university not far from here.

He will be a seventh grader on a JV team with only 14 other players...he should get playing time, not sure how much.

Needless to say we are extremely excited about the opportunity he's been given.

Thank you all so much for your support all season long.

I'll need it even more when he's doing two-a-days this summer!!!!

14030303229_4f57630bb3_b.jpg

• Like 3

This whole Man Utd=Cowboys is so overblown. American compare because it's how they view sports..... .

Let's see now .....

Most hated ball club in America- Check.

Most hated football club in England- Check.

Media/ esrablisent darlings in America- Check.

Media/ esrablisent darlings in England- Check.

Most bandwagon fans in America that would struggle to find Dallas on a map and have never been to a game- Check.

Morst bandwagon fans in England that would struggle to find Manchester on a map and have never been to a game- Check.

Overhyped every pre-season into SB winners, even when crap- Check.

Overhyped every pre-season into Champions, even when crap- Check.

Biggest money making brand in American Sports- Check.

Biggest money making brand in British Sports- Check.

The Cowboys analogy is PERFECT as regards Utd.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

And as of last night....

4) get called up to play on the High School Junior Varsity team......check .....

Now y'all are just showing off.

How much was the bribe?

Other than the success.

Give it a few years and we can add that one too. -:)

Hail.

• Like 1

Arsenal is the most popular team in Philly from what I've seen.

They have the black guy market cornered btw. Must have been Theirry

Not entirely. 

chelsea-tour-3.jpg

garnett-chelsea.jpg

But I imagine having Jay Z and little spike Lee help with recruiting. 

Like I said, all the northern VA kids I knew who morphed into Arsenal fans did so from an adopt British culture, emulate, standpoint. Big with the music scene, they saw a DJ rocking the shirt, so it was something adopted quickly. But more importantly, Arsenal was big and successful back in the late 90s, early 2000s, so whenever you have success, enrollment goes up. 

I do grant you the Henry factor because that dude was international and definitely marketed. He sparked interest. I do remember sports programs over here naturally gravitated toward him. 

But, I'm not sure how much of it was due to the iconography itself, because let's be honest, image is 99% of the ballgame when "picking" a club. Using quotes to differentiate. If you are born into a club, that's a different story. But if picking a club, let's not pretend that the criteria of choice can get superficial, or at least more whimsical, pretty fast.

I remember back in the day of Eazy E, lots of folks who ended up wearing LA Raiders and LA Kings merch because they saw Ice Cube rocking it and because it was "gangsta." It was more of a social statement than, "I'm a fan of a football team," thing. No connection to LA or those teams, lived nowhere close to LA, but they rocked the gear for its iconography. Symbolic of the early 90s hip-hop culture, a tough look. So it wasn't some pragmatic philosophical thing.

So, I mean, using the gunners as a term, the weaponry images, it does evoke a specific response. You know, it's not tinker bell and puck dancing around blue bells. Obviously the origin of the club and the etymology of the name can only leave so many options. Yet, in some sense, it has similar social parallels to that phenomenon back in the day, that I previously mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if a certain group of people were attracted simply to the name and weaponry iconography. The cannon on the shield is a great image. It definitely puts out a certain vibe. And let's be honest, it looks good. The design and marketing of the image, the colors and scheme is definitely attractive. 

Of course there will always be folks who just wear whatever hats and shirts that tickles their fancy due simply to the look, or "colour," or fashion of it.

We're not like that on ES though. :)

Interestingly though, the military connection to Chelsea by way of the pensioners is what initially drew my Dad to the club, being military abroad himself in the Air Force. So, ironically, the association to the men in service, not the munitions, was the attraction ... for a certain type of sophisticated gent. 

I guess if fans of Laurence Olivier were looking to start a love affair with an English soccer club, they know who to go to. But I doubt Sir Laurence can compete for market share with today's youth.

Has Jay Z ever told his story of indoctrination? I'm sure Mr. Z is more relatable to the average 22 year old than Sir Laurence, but we all know the passion of Heathcliff, and appreciate him for it. 

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

Sagna leaving the Gunners wish he could leave our national team too.

Not fancing the chances of Les Bleus in Brasil huh?

Can't see beyond the hosts, Argentina, or from a European perspective the two teams already acclimatised after last Summer Italy and Spain.

I shall mostly be supporting Italia as is my tournament want; with a large dose of America and Belgium down to some very close friends thrown in.

Hail.

Not fancing the chances of Les Bleus in Brasil huh?

No my friend, I don't like Sagna (always a non factor), Evra is a Knysna arrogant prick, Remy is a bust, Grenier has only one cap back in June 2013 !, Mavuba is average, Benzema broke the record of the most consecutive scoreless games.

On the positive side we have Pogba, Varane, Matuidi, Ribery is an ahole but he's a fighter on the field.

Latest poll showed only 40% of the french people support this team, lowest support in Europe, the second lowest is England at 43%.

Edited by FrFan

Now y'all are just showing off.

How much was the bribe?

LoL!

We knew it was being discussed by the coaches, but we kept it quiet from our son. The coach told me he was being pulled up after the post-season banquet, on the way out to the car my son was commenting on the shirts the team all received so I just casually mentioned that he will be able to wear it this summer during conditioning. He looked at me confused, that's when I reminded him that JV conditioning starts shortly after school lets out. That's when it hit him, he was super excited but then said...."woah...that means I'll be playing against high schoolers!!!!"

Let's see now .....

Most hated ball club in America- Check.

Most hated football club in England- Check.

Media/ esrablisent darlings in America- Check.

Media/ esrablisent darlings in England- Check.

Most bandwagon fans in America that would struggle to find Dallas on a map and have never been to a game- Check.

Morst bandwagon fans in England that would struggle to find Manchester on a map and have never been to a game- Check.

Overhyped every pre-season into SB winners, even when crap- Check.

Overhyped every pre-season into Champions, even when crap- Check.

Biggest money making brand in American Sports- Check.

Biggest money making brand in British Sports- Check.

The Cowboys analogy is PERFECT as regards Utd.

Hail.

So Liverpool would be the Steelers then?  Big fanbase but mainly living on past success? Only issue is the Steelers have won championships recently. Maybe you guys are the 49ers?

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

So Liverpool would be the Steelers then? Big fanbase but mainly living on past success? Only issue is the Steelers have won championships recently. Maybe you guys are the 49ers?

9ers isn't far off, but I'd throw the skins in there too. Dominant for a stretch, and then mostly toiling in mediocrity for the last 20 years. Might be a bit harsh on the reds there...

So Liverpool would be the Steelers then?  Big fanbase but mainly living on past success? Only issue is the Steelers have won championships recently. Maybe you guys are the 49ers?

I usually go with the Orioles. At one time both were the best team ever in their respective sports. They built teams the right way and had a distinctive style that was easily recognized. Both teams were damaged by poor ownership. Richer teams surpassed them with their ability to spend much more money on the top talents in their sports (yes this is a Manchester United/Yankee comparison). Both have returned to their winning ways. Finally, both have an iconic number 8...

I'm kind of tempted to take teams compare them to American teams in our leagues.  I assume Man Utd is gonna get compared to Celtics/Lakers.  I'm not sure about Man City with NBA.  I almost want to say Celtics but Man City's success has been recent.  Possibly the Heat then?  Buying stars and it clicking right.  Not sure about Chelsea. 

Man Utd= Lakers/Celtics

Man City= Heat/ maybe Giants (Clutch in last season)?

Liverpool= 9ers/ I really want to say Celtics because most of the championships are awhile ago minus 2008

Chelsea= Clippers/ Seahawks

Arsenal=Pacers/ Packers

Um the Pacers haven't won **** like ever. The Packers are fine tho

I usually go with the Orioles. At one time both were the best team ever in their respective sports. They built teams the right way and had a distinctive style that was easily recognized. Both teams were damaged by poor ownership. Richer teams surpassed them with their ability to spend much more money on the top talents in their sports (yes this is a Manchester United/Yankee comparison). Both have returned to their winning ways. Finally, both have an iconic number 8...

Except the Orioles have what like 2 titles?

Liverpool is wayyy more successful than the O's are.

Not entirely.

chelsea-tour-3.jpg

garnett-chelsea.jpg

But I imagine having Jay Z and little spike Lee help with recruiting.

Like I said, all the northern VA kids I knew who morphed into Arsenal fans did so from an adopt British culture, emulate, standpoint. Big with the music scene, they saw a DJ rocking the shirt, so it was something adopted quickly. But more importantly, Arsenal was big and successful back in the late 90s, early 2000s, so whenever you have success, enrollment goes up.

I do grant you the Henry factor because that dude was international and definitely marketed. He sparked interest. I do remember sports programs over here naturally gravitated toward him.

But, I'm not sure how much of it was due to the iconography itself, because let's be honest, image is 99% of the ballgame when "picking" a club. Using quotes to differentiate. If you are born into a club, that's a different story. But if picking a club, let's not pretend that the criteria of choice can get superficial, or at least more whimsical, pretty fast.

I remember back in the day of Eazy E, lots of folks who ended up wearing LA Raiders and LA Kings merch because they saw Ice Cube rocking it and because it was "gangsta." It was more of a social statement than, "I'm a fan of a football team," thing. No connection to LA or those teams, lived nowhere close to LA, but they rocked the gear for its iconography. Symbolic of the early 90s hip-hop culture, a tough look. So it wasn't some pragmatic philosophical thing.

So, I mean, using the gunners as a term, the weaponry images, it does evoke a specific response. You know, it's not tinker bell and puck dancing around blue bells. Obviously the origin of the club and the etymology of the name can only leave so many options. Yet, in some sense, it has similar social parallels to that phenomenon back in the day, that I previously mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if a certain group of people were attracted simply to the name and weaponry iconography. The cannon on the shield is a great image. It definitely puts out a certain vibe. And let's be honest, it looks good. The design and marketing of the image, the colors and scheme is definitely attractive.

Of course there will always be folks who just wear whatever hats and shirts that tickles their fancy due simply to the look, or "colour," or fashion of it.

We're not like that on ES though. :)

Interestingly though, the military connection to Chelsea by way of the pensioners is what initially drew my Dad to the club, being military abroad himself in the Air Force. So, ironically, the association to the men in service, not the munitions, was the attraction ... for a certain type of sophisticated gent.

I guess if fans of Laurence Olivier were looking to start a love affair with an English soccer club, they know who to go to. But I doubt Sir Laurence can compete for market share with today's youth.

Has Jay Z ever told his story of indoctrination? I'm sure Mr. Z is more relatable to the average 22 year old than Sir Laurence, but we all know the passion of Heathcliff, and appreciate him for it.

I'm pretty sure the Nets met Arsenal as well during that tour.

But I made that assessment just from what I've seen around. All the black soccer fans I know are predominantly Arsenal fans and I think Spike Lee and a few other celebrities are gooners as well

Also, from the good ol eye test (kits I see around), Man U and Arsenal might be the top two clubs in America

I see a few Pool and Chelsea shirts tho

Um the Pacers haven't won **** like ever. The Packers are fine tho

Except the Orioles have what like 2 titles?

Liverpool is wayyy more successful than the O's are.

I wouldn't disagree, but its all relative. At one point (in either the late 80s or early 90s) the O's were the winningest franchise in baseball. They don't have the hardware that Liverpool does, but they were considered a great franchise. The analogy isn't perfect (most cross-sport anaolgies aren't perfect), but both teams where considered the model franchise in their respective sports and teams tried to emulate the way they played on the field and ran their team off the field.

Check out this advertisement for the Chile national team going to Brazil:

It is in Spanish, but you can put on the closed captions into English.

They may not win it all, but this ad was really cool.

• Like 2

So Liverpool would be the Steelers then? Big fanbase but mainly living on past success? Only issue is the Steelers have won championships recently. Maybe you guys are the 49ers?

'9ers works.

Most successful team in the league trying to recapture former glorys.

Although recent success on the biggest stage of all with a 5th one for keeps clouds that somewhat.

4 mil is a drop. Not upset about this at all and glad it got done before Brasil.

Don't like it all and a sign we're still struggling financially to keep up with the big boys.

Hail.