Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Well put Jo.

They played their asses off today.  To the brink of exhaustion for the players and the supporters.

Coulda, woulda, shouldas will drive a man crazy. 

Here's to pulling off the treble next year!

A bit of perspective:

Of course this draw hurts. The title was essentially lost last week in the Chelsea loss. I admire them going for it. Ultimately they want to win the game to keep the pressure on City, but they had to try and make up the goal difference. They had a very slim chance of winning the title, but they went for it. I love this team. They play an exciting style and have a fantastic core to build around. I am confident that they will be back next year. I think they will attract top class players with their style. I fully expect them to contend next year. 

It sucks because the team was so close, but I think everyone will learn from this experience. I fully expect Suarez to be even better next year, as he is at his best when he has a chip on his shoulder (I think that chip will be pretty big next year). I would have never predicted that they would have played this good this year and am excited that they are returning to the Champion's League and I believe that FSG will invest in the club. 

Great year Red men! You made us believers! I can't wait to see what you do next year...

PS....I don't think GHH has a pint tally today. I'm guessing it's whiskey and it's in double digits!

It is admirable but the result had to come before the romance, which is something Rogers will learn as he gains experience in these kind of situations. City have dropped points at home against teams they weren't supposed to drop points against so if City end up winning the title on goal difference after only getting 4 points from the next two games even I might not be able to get a chuckle out of that.

It is admirable but the result had to come before the romance, which is something Rogers will learn as he gains experience in these kind of situations. City have dropped points at home against teams they weren't supposed to drop points against so if City end up winning the title on goal difference after only getting 4 points from the next two games even I might not be able to get a chuckle out of that.

There's a lot of truth in that. Still the biggest mistake was not taking the point that Chelsea was willing to giftwrap for them and maintaining control of their destiny...

There's a lot of truth in that. Still the biggest mistake was not taking the point that Chelsea was willing to giftwrap for them and maintaining control of their destiny...

They would have battered Chelsea if they played the way they had played today. Gerrard's mistake would have led to a consolation goal at best.

Edited by SJValleySkinz

They would have battered Chelsea if they played the way they had played today. Gerrard's mistake would have led to a consolation goal at best.

Well Palace only played with a back 7, instead of Chelsea's back 10. Either way, that was their first loss of the season for 2014. That's a pretty remarkable run...

the on adjustment I saw was Suarez and Sturridge would both run to the side of the area and Johnson tried to sneak in behind them from the wing.  Didn't see that last week.  Everything else we tried.

They may have played a similar style but the there is something to be said about Chelsea's talent level.  LFC needed that early goal to pull Chelsea out, it just never came.

Absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

I love yer j man, but it's not ''admirable' we went for it. It's not even naive. It's absolutely ****ing ridiculous. 3-0 up and coasting to this. We were NEVER going to make up the goal difference over the last 2. We just had to win out and hope Citeh ****ed up. Yet we capitulate like that against a team with nottin' to play for. Absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

In our own hands with 3 games to go and now bar a miracle we've ****ed it up through complete ineptitude the last two games from coach and players alike.

NEVER been this down at a game as I was earlier and still am as I type wide awake from a Kings Cross Travel Lodge fast sobering up.

The entire last 8/ 9 months just feels like a complete waste after the last two games. Yeah, it's been a fantastic season, but how it's ended negates that. We had it in our own hands with 3 to go. All we had to do was not lose to Chelsea and get any win the last two. Instead we completely **** up tactically theasr two games and are left looking at nottin' after getting this close. (And Hell knows when we'll get this close again..I don't subscribe to the 'same again/ kicking on next year thing when you put everything into context along with the lack if spending power compared to City and Chelsea who'll strengthen again.).

Absolutely ****ing ridiculous Liverpool and as Carra said totally unacceptable.

And if I run I to Glenn Johnson this week I may well be doing time but that's another story.

Totally demoralised with 6 hours or so to brood before more brooding on the train back so I'll stop and leave it before I take someone's head off that I don't want to do.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Right now, I just root for our boy "Brad Guzan" to have the game of his life and see the rest of his Villa teammates come through against an over-optimistic Citeh.

Nothing about the match today - just hope for Wed.

Trying so hard to get some hope for Villa but failing miserably.

Tonight's disgrace changed things MASSIVELY. They can drop a game now and still win it with 4 more points.

We need them to lose one of. Can anyone realistically see that happening now?

Threw it away Liverpool. Hard to have sympathy with any of years when you panic and defend as pathetically as that last 10 minutes. All against the lowest scoring team in the league.

Can't even slate Mingolet as he played well.

Hail.

Glen Johnson's tweet after the match seems to be aimed at Neville and Carragher. England will get exposed down the right all World Cup if he starts.

Glen Johnson@glen_johnson 15m

So many sofa experts in this game.... Absolutely no idea about football what so ever! #Jokers

Not fit to lace Neville or Cara's boots.

Take a LONG hard look at yourself and your ****house performance last night Glenn before you react like a prick to the MORE than justified criticism.

Hsil .

Have to agree with GHH here - Brendan Rogers is a very good coach but he has to learn, and fast, how to manage games if Liverpool are gong to become regular title contenders and winners. They had zero chance of pulling back the goal difference on City and it was both stupid and arrogant to think they could just empty midfield and of for broke against a Premiership team of any calibre.

Losing a 3 goal lead in the way they did was a criminal waste of all the hard work and great football over the last few months that got them to that point. Take the 3 points and put the pressure back on City - make them win it. That's not what happened.

• Like 1

Have to agree with GHH here - Brendan Rogers is a very good coach but he has to learn, and fast, how to manage games if Liverpool are gong to become regular title contenders and winners. They had zero chance of pulling back the goal difference on City and it was both stupid and arrogant to think they could just empty midfield and of for broke against a Premiership team of any calibre.

Losing a 3 goal lead in the way they did was a criminal waste of all the hard work and great football over the last few months that got them to that point. Take the 3 points and put the pressure back on City - make them win it. That's not what happened.

Gut wrenching stupidity Martin, which bar an absolute miracle collapse from City blows all the recent hard work.

And no word of a lie we could well be sat here in 10 years time still waiting for the league looking back on this season when most everything went for us (barely any injuries/ no Europe et all) and thinking 'what if?' That's Gerrards last chance. We aren't getting this close again like this year in a hurry.

In our own hands with 3 games to go. The party to end all party's next Sunday is now a nightmare wake.

Ridiculous. Totally and utterly ****ing ridiculous.

Congrats City in advance of the inevitable.

Hail.

For me, the first hour of the game was Glenn's best game in Red (that I've seen).  He apparently didn't like that road so he flipped around immediately.

Even with the Wizards winning game 1 and the Nats taking over first place last night, this emptiness is very deep.  Just ready for the window to open.

Looks like UEFA is coming after City after all.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11679/9299320/uefa-manchester-city-fined-50m-for-financial-rules-breach

For me, the first hour of the game was Glenn's best game in Red (that I've seen). He apparently didn't like that road so he flipped around immediately.

Even with the Wizards winning game 1 and the Nats taking over first place last night, this emptiness is very deep. Just ready for the window to open.....

Emptiness is an understatement lil' bro.

There's a lot of reds on this train who stayed over and to say its a somber atmosphere is an understatement. Getting this close and throwing it away through outright ****ing stupidity will grate for a LONG time.

Carragher wants to go down Melwood and chin that arrogant ****ney prick. ****ing modern day footballers are that mollycoddled they don't think they deserve ANY criticism. Johnson's been ****e for weeks now.

Hail.

I still believe that the title was lost at Anfield versus Chelsea. I would rather see them go out swinging than lose by a 5 goal differential. That is what Rodgers has to learn, he needs to figure out when to slow down. They should have slowed down against Chelsea. Many of you have argued (and are probably right) that they should have slowed down after the lead against Palace. It is a tough lesson, but can help this club in the future...

That's Gerrards last chance. We aren't getting this close again like this year in a hurry.

I blame Rogers the most as he is the manager but I also question what Gerrard was doing and thinking on the pitch. He is so experienced and I presume has a brain. At some point you need leaders on the pitch to take charge and physically drag your full backs behind the ball and demand they mark someone and tell your central midfield partner we are not getting ahead of the ball for the next 10 minutes.

• Like 2

Live by the sword, doe by the sword, except it didnt have to be that way! Pool played an ignorant match against Chelsea by trying to boss them and the same mindset has now buried them for good.

I know everyone loves beautiful football, but closing shop for two or three games would not have changed anyone's opinion of how Liverpool plays. Now they just look like fools, maybe they will learn but unlikely.

• Like 1

Financial fairplay sued

Lawyer Maître Jean-Louis Dupont (the same lawyer who initiated the Bosman judgement) leads a lawsuit before the European Commission and the Court of First Instance of Brussels to invalidate the system.

"This system is inadequate and, hence, illegal under European law," he judged. According to him, the financial fair play creates the following restrictions of competition: limiting investments and the structure of existing competition, fewer transfers, their amounts and the number of players under contract by the club, deflationary pressure of the players wages.

Edited by FrFan

Financial fairplay sued

Lawyer Maître Jean-Louis Dupont (the same lawyer who initiated the Bosman judgement) leads a lawsuit before the European Commission and the Court of First Instance of Brussels to invalidate the system.

"This system is inadequate and, hence, illegal under European law," he judged. 

If every pan European law or system that was "inadequate" was judged illegal there would not be that many left on the books ....

I blame Rogers the most as he is the manager but I also question what Gerrard was doing and thinking on the pitch. He is so experienced and I presume has a brain. At some point you need leaders on the pitch to take charge and physically drag your full backs behind the ball and demand they mark someone and tell your central midfield partner we are not getting ahead of the ball for the next 10 minutes.

We were screaming exactly the same at him in the ground last night. He's not a striker. He sits in front of the back 4 now for Petes sake and he couldn't marshall them and pull them together. 

ZERO leadership or nounce on or off the field. From our first title in 24 years being in our own hands with three to go culminating in last nights complete, embarrassing ineptitude still beggars belief. 

'89 was bad enough but that was the tail end of a great side and the most trying couple of months in the clubs history. But this debacle ..... this could haunt us for years. One hand on the title and then the last two 'performances.' I made the cardinal sin of crowning us but I was convinced we'd won it after Sunderland's great week at Citeh and the Chavs. (I even had yesterday marked as the day we might well clinch it.). I hadn't accounted for the complete schoolboy naivety and ineptitude of the last two games. In particular the last 11 minutes last night at a team with nottin' to play for who'd scored the fewest goals in the entire league. 

Absolutely ****ing ridiculous from ALL concerned. (Bar Mingolet who did have a good game for once.). 

This is our Devon Loch and then some. 

Hail. 

Just dropping in to say how similar this feels to when Utd blew it a few years ago.

Yeah but at least you knew you'd be challenging at the death the following year and weren't coming off a 24 year wait. 

With Liverpool still needing major surgery, without the major money that Chelsea and City will spend again (and Utd reportedly); there's as much likelihood of a drop off back to battling Arsenal. 'Spurs, Everton et all to make up the top 4 as taking it this close again next season. 

This collapse could really haunt us. You're left wondering how many years it might be before we're this close again? And no word of lie that's how I feel. 

Of course Villa could pull off an even bigger surprise tomorrow but in reality we've thrown a golden opportunity away. 

Hail.