Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Super Bowl or USA World Cup Victory?!?!

Skinz4Life12

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

What is soccer? :ols:

It is just water polo for those who can't swim...

For those of you who are taking the US > Rest of World at Soccer approach, I have to ask you the same question twisted around.

At what point do you draw the line: Ping-Pong? Tiddlywinks? Competetive Tanning? How about video game soccer?

The point I am making is Redskins Football > that all other forms of entertainment (regardless of who/what is being played, with the possible exception of personal mattress sports). Not that I don't enjoy other sports or activities, they just are lesser entities to the Redskins.

Those saying otherwise are not serious Redskins fans or haven't experienced a Redskins SB victory.

Man, do I have to pick? Like someone said earlier, its like picking your favorite of two kids!

I'd have to go with the WC, only because its only happens every four years, its a much bigger sporting event that includes the whole damn world, and its something that we've never done before and the whole world expects us to suck at. I like the the US actually gets to be an underdog in something.

And lets be honest. We wont be winning a Superbowl this year. Maybe in the next 3-5. :P

So you want the Redskins to win in order to make other people miserable?

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

and come on there's international soccer fans everywhere around here.

I'm sure we all know at least some.

Exactly.

What, do some of you watch sports ONLY to make other people's lives miserable?

I watch sports because I enjoy it. But with the teams I root for it's been pretty hard lately. Anyway, it would be HUGE if the US won the WC, but I'll go on record now and say the Skins win SB before the US wins a WC.

And were you guys in here when the Giants won the SB two years ago? It was hell. I want the Redskins to win so I can be a part of something special (even though I didn't do a damn thing), but yes, bragging rights are part of it and if we win a SB, I'll be in the ATN talking so much smack, I might get banned.

I watch sports because I enjoy it. But with the teams I root for it's been pretty hard lately. Anyway, it would be HUGE if the US won the WC, but I'll go on record now and say the Skins win SB before the US wins a WC.

Duh. Winning a SB is incredibly easier than winning the World Cup.

Thing is, I love the USA already. I won't love it any more (or less) no matter what it does in the World Cup. I'm not going to confuse my genuine patriotism for my country with winning in a soccer tournament. I'll cheer hard for the USA team, but win or lose, I will feel the same about my country.

The Redskins, however, are in my blood in a sports sense. All of my other sports interests are meaningless compared to the Redskins. So this is not a case of "not caring about America." It is a case of not caring about the results in soccer, at any level, as much as I care about the results in the NFL.

That's well-said. I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us win a World Cup. But I'd be lying if I said it would mean more to me than the Skins winning the Super Bowl would.

If you reverse the question in a way and ask, if they both made the championship game, whose loss would hurt more, it'd be the U.S. without question.

No way. The Skins loss would hurt way more. Hell just for the US to get to the finals of the WC would be a big story. But after all the years spent rooting for the Skins, to finally see them get back to the Super Bowl only to lose, alot of people would lose it on here.

No way. The Skins loss would hurt way more. Hell just for the US to get to the finals of the WC would be a big story. But after all the years spent rooting for the Skins, to finally see them get back to the Super Bowl only to lose, alot of people would lose it on here.

Agreed. I expect us to lose in soccer. We arent the heavyweight in that sport. If we were to make it to the final in the next couple of WCs, we will likely be underdogs.

If the Skins make the SB, I damn well expect us to win and I will be crushed if we dont.

True. In the short term I agree. But from a long-term perspective...If the Redskins were that good, they could make the SB again in the next few years. The U.S. making it would have to be a massive fluke of proportions surely never to be seen again and even if they were actually that good, it's four years of waiting.

If this poll were put up any other time than DURING the World Cup, it would be 99.9% in favor of the Skins. Some people currently have a sense of pride in soccer because we're in contention. Things will be back to normal before long :)

If this poll were put up any other time than DURING the World Cup, it would be 99.9% in favor of the Skins. Some people currently have a sense of pride in soccer because we're in contention. Things will be back to normal before long :)

I have no pride in soccer, but I do have pride in my country on the biggest stage in the World.

True. In the short term I agree. But from a long-term perspective...If the Redskins were that good, they could make the SB again in the next few years. The U.S. making it would have to be a massive fluke of proportions surely never to be seen again and even if they were actually that good, it's four years of waiting.

I see your point there, but think about it. How invested are you into US World Cup Soccer? How invested are you to the Washington Redskins? If you said the Skins winning the Super Bowl would mean more, wouldn't them losing it hurt more? I love watching the World Cup, but that's about as far as my soccer fandom goes. But for me to see the Skins get to the Super Bowl only to lose, would suck big time.

I'm gonna make a comparison here. Look how many people were into the US Hockey team during the Winter Olympics. Everyone was talking about it, but it didn't really translate into anything big for the NHL. Why? Because everyone here is going to root for the US teams in any sport because we love to support our country, once that even is over we kidna forget about it until it comes around again. I think the same thing will happen here, yeah everyone is pumped about the World Cup right now, but how many people are going to start watching MLS because of it?

That is ultimately why the Redskins winning the Super Bowl would mean more. Its something I would take pride in and would remember forever. If the US wins the World Cup, yeah I'd be excited, but it would last for like a week since I'm not a huge soccer fan. But the Skins SB would mean bragging rights for a long time!

It's weird because on HFboards, there was a thread on this same thing. Would you rather win Olympic hockey gold or the World Cup and the Canadians of all people said WC by far and Canada doesn't even know soccer let alone not care about it.

I guess we know it enough, to know not to care.

Archived