Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Super Bowl or USA World Cup Victory?!?!

Skinz4Life12

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm definitely not saying that I don't want to see a Redskins SB championship, but the Skins have much better odds and many more chances to win a SB than the US does to win a WC. That's why I said the US. However, if it meant never winning a SB again, I would have definitely voted for the Skins.

No, it's your opinion, it's fine. Personally, I'm a soccer fan for about a month every 4 years so it's not a big deal to me. If you follow soccer around the same level you follow the Skins, more power to you.

I just wanted to clear up that this isn't asking which is more historic/more important to the country/more respected by the world...it's asking what would you, as an individual, enjoy more.

No, it's your opinion, it's fine. Personally, I'm a soccer fan for about a month every 4 years so it's not a big deal to me. If you follow soccer around the same level you follow the Skins, more power to you.

I just wanted to clear up that this isn't asking which is more historic/more important to the country/more respected by the world...it's asking what would you, as an individual, enjoy more.

I'm in the same boat at you TD, I pretty much just follow the WC (I watched a little in the Confederations Cup two years ago, but I digress) when it comes to soccer. Just, for that month, especially since there's really nothing football wise going on, I'd love to see a WC win, and I enjoy it more than the talk about mini camps and trianing camps.

I just don't really appreciate the people who are saying that if we voted for the WC we're not Skins fans and that soccer isn't worth the field it's played on...

Simple answer. Do you remember the USA and Russia hockey game? Hockey isn't the most popular sport in the US either but its a moment in history every American cares about. Besides when it comes down to it Americans love to see our teams beat the world. Look no farther than how many Americans were watching the US Canada hockey game in both games.

Don't really care about the miracle on ice either. And I really enjoy hockey, even though I never played it (unlike soccer).

The Patriotism seems to be skewed.

Simple answer. Do you remember the USA and Russia hockey game? Hockey isn't the most popular sport in the US either but its a moment in history every American cares about. Besides when it comes down to it Americans love to see our teams beat the world. Look no farther than how many Americans were watching the US Canada hockey game in both games.

America winning the World Cup would be memory Americans would remember cuz we would have beat the world at their own game.

The US winning the World Cup would not come close to the Americans winning gold in hockey in '80. Sorry. You weren't even around then, dude. C'mon.

The US winning the World Cup would not come close to the Americans winning gold in hockey in '80. Sorry. You weren't even around then, dude. C'mon.

Just because someone wasn't around for something doesn't mean they can't appreciate it's impact. I was only an infant when the 'Skins won their last Super Bowl, but I still look at all the old film with enthusiasm and wonder.

Also, how come it doesn't come close? I think they're quite comparable. Remember, the United States got CREAMED by the Soviets in a friendly before the Olympic tournament. We weren't even one of the top five teams in the world and the Soviets were numero uno.

Furthermore, after we beat them, we had to beat Sweden, a team that was almost as good as the USSR.

Now, look at us in the World Cup. We're up against some of the best talent the world has to offer and we're a second tier soccer country. If we won this thing, it would be a complete shock. No one expects the USA to even make it out of the first round, much less win the whole thing; just like our hockey team in 1980.

Apparently there must plenty of stupidity along with snow up there if they are willing to forsake their national sport for something they know nothing about, though I'm thinking some hackers were just doctoring the results.

Or maybe the Olympic hockey tournament isn't 1/100 as impressive as winning the World Cup?

No hackers. Results were public and I read through the reponses. It was at least 85% World Cup votes.

Also, how come it doesn't come close? I think they're quite comparable. Remember, the United States got CREAMED by the Soviets in a friendly before the Olympic tournament. We weren't even one of the top five teams in the world and the Soviets were numero uno.

Cold War tensions are a huge difference between then and now

Just because someone wasn't around for something doesn't mean they can't appreciate it's impact. I was only an infant when the 'Skins won their last Super Bowl, but I still look at all the old film with enthusiasm and wonder.

Furthermore, after we beat them, we had to beat Sweden, a team that was almost as good as the USSR.

Now, look at us in the World Cup. We're up against some of the best talent the world has to offer and we're a second tier soccer country. If we won this thing, it would be a complete shock. No one expects the USA to even make it out of the first round, much less win the whole thing; just like our hockey team in 1980.

Italy won the last World Cup, right? And they didn't even make the round of 16 this year. And didn't France win it in 2002? Neither of those teams was any good this year. Seems to me there aren't any real dominant teams in the WC every 4 years. Yeah, it would be a shock if the US won it. A really big shock. But not on the same level, imo, as the US hockey team in '80. And it wouldn't have the same impact. That was the Olympics. I think people care alot more about that then some dopey WC, where the majority of Americans don't even care about soccer.

Italy won the last World Cup, right? And they didn't even make the round of 16 this year. And didn't France win it in 2002? Neither of those teams was any good this year. Seems to me there aren't any real dominant teams in the WC every 4 years. Yeah, it would be a shock if the US won it. A really big shock. But not on the same level, imo, as the US hockey team in '80. And it wouldn't have the same impact. That was the Olympics. I think people care alot more about that then some dopey WC, where the majority of Americans don't even care about soccer.

Stuff about Olympic TV ratings: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1029559220080811

Stuff about WC TV ratings: http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/07/25/world-cup-ratings-are-astounding/

If I were in charge of an American television network, I would be brainstorming ways to get Americans excited about soccer. The ratings for World Cup are out of this world. The average television audience, worldwide, for the month-long tournament was 93 million viewers for each match. 93 MILLION. And more than 5.6 BILLION (yes, that's a 'B') watched matches live in 54 global markets. The final match between Italy and France garnered an estimated 284 million viewers.

Reuters compares those numbers to America's biggest sporting event, the Super Bowl, and determines that World Cup numbers are equivalent to 64 Super Bowls. Mama mia!

Looks like the World Cup wins going away and don't forget there are more countries in the Olympics than there are in the World Cup.

Bubble seriously you are just a bit off with this. Look, 1980 was different because it was in the middle of the Cold War and it was as much about ideology and politics as it was hockey. It was also a big upset in that we had college kids playing professionals.

But for one, how many teams competed for the 1980 Olympic hockey gold medal...

The World Cup has 32 teams and each one except the host had to qualify to make the tournament. Qualifying for the World Cup is much harder than for Olympic hockey, especially in 1980.

The U.S. is nowhere near as behind in hockey as they are in soccer worldwide. Since 1952, Canada has won 2 golds, same as the U.S. in Olympic hockey.

The world's best athletes (except ours) compete in the World Cup. They get to pick from the top leagues in the world.

Winning the World Cup would be a far more impressive feat. Not as important politically as 1980 (nothing will ever be) but much more impressive.

Plus you are talking about one game where anything can happen, we are talking about winning the biggest tournament in the world which would require an insane amount of flukes.

Plus FIFA obviously hates us and has tried to have us eliminated.

----------

Also, the World cares 10x more about the World Cup than the freakin' watered down IOC Olympics. Guess what, when an Italian or French athlete loses at the Olympics they don't care. When they are eliminated from the World Cup the country goes into depression. Newspapers destroy them.

The World Cup ratings blow everything else out of the water.

------------

Brazil won in 2002. France won in 98 on home soil.

I've found it's a pointless battle to try to convince some people that the World Cup is important. They associate "World Cup" with a sport they hate, and immediately think it's a worthless trophy.

Truth is, whether these soccer haters like it or not, a World Cup win would mean a whole hell of a lot for the entire United States of America.

And for the one hundredth time, I don't care if you like soccer. You can hate it and burn a soccer ball in effigy every damn day for all I care. But you must respect the importance of the World Cup, because that is a fact, and if you can't respect facts then you're just an ignorant fool.

As I said before, selfishly, I want the Redskins to win and therefore I almost voted Super Bowl.

But (a) because of the widespread ramifications a WC victory means to the U.S., and (B) because I'll get to celebrate with ALL of my family who are Patriots, Ravens, Eagles, and 49ers fans, I chose World Cup.

I would remember both victories for the rest of my life. I would remember the World Cup post-victory celebration much more vividly.

It doesn't make me any less of a Redskins fan than you are. It makes me a Redskins fan with a different opinion. Respect my opinion or kiss my ass.

If you weren't around during the time you aren't able to comprehend the full impact of the Cold war, Communism vs the free world, etc. Heck nowadays Communist freedom fighters are fashion statements on purses and T shirts.

College and professional Hockey was already established for decades in the US. The olympics have always been political or used for propaganda.

Soccer in the USA will always be seen as a way for mothers to tire out kids with sugar rushes or an alternative for suburban kids who are picked 6th on 5 man basketball teams in the park or on the playground.

and btw the world cup is meaningless in north america except to a few people who seem to place national or ethnic pride over where they are NOW.

Don't you have some moose to hunt up there in Canada? This doesn't concern you, your country cannot even qualify for the World Cup.

By the way that video sort've reminds me of basketball, or hell a wide receiver crying and demanding a call after being nudged.

If you weren't around during the time you aren't able to comprehend the full impact of the Cold war, Communism vs the free world, etc. Heck nowadays Communist freedom fighters are fashion statements on purses and T shirts.

College and professional Hockey was already established for decades in the US. The olympics have always been political or used for propaganda.

Soccer in the USA will always be seen as a way for mothers to tire out kids with sugar rushes or an alternative for suburban kids who are picked 6th on 5 man basketball teams in the park or on the playground.

Oh yeah, soccer's really the new thing in the United States.

Wait, that's right. We participated in the first soccer match ever held outside of the UK...with Canada...in 1885.

Furthermore, we were semi-finalists in the first World Cup ever held in 1930. Granted, few European super powers went to the tournament, but soccer in the United States isn't just some fad mothers came up with 20 years ago. Our international soccer team has been participating in international competition for over 120 years. American football is only twenty years older and, if you recall, when the game was first created, PLAYERS WEREN'T ALLOWED TO USE THEIR HANDS.

Sheesh, I understand not liking a sport, but I swear, a lot of you guys really don't have any perspective.

Archived