Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Charles Mann calls out Albert Haynesworth

authentic

Will there be 100% attendance at the mandatory OTA's?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be 100% attendance at the mandatory OTA's?

• Yes. 100%!!! (Except for any excused absences.)
    • No. Everyone is not going to show up.
    • Who cares? I'm a Troll and not a Redskins fan!

By the way, I just read your name outloud and it got a good laugh out of me. I always read it as HB (half back) not Blades and didn't understand what the hell you were talking about. Now I get it. Three years later. :doh:

Yea, my nickname growing up was always HB (my initials) and when we drafted HB Blades I said "Hey that's my name". So now I'm HB, but not HB Blades.

You know what is funny about what Charles Mann says? He didn't have to worry about OTAs back in the day. There were mini-camps and training camp. And Russ Grimm and others have said that the first week of TC was used simply to get into shape. So basically, Mann is complaining that AH is enjoying his offseason the same way Mann enjoyed his....

And I love Charles Mann. Got an autographed 8x10 hangin on my basement wall.

Was Charles Mann ever out of shape? Was or Is Andre Carter out of shape. I don't seem to remember either of those two guys taking plays off. Now your above thinking would be fine if indeed AH was in great shape or is in great shape, but that is the rub, he was not in great shape last year. And being paid that sum of money would lead most to think that would be a given.

I hope he shows up in great shape, but until he does I can't disagree with the likes of Charles Mann.

Again with the ridiculous comparisons.

Come on, Irep, you're a smart guy, what's with this crap?

Riggins: Hall of Fame; all-time leading rusher for the Redskins; Riggo Run, etc.

Hayensworth: A piece of crap.

I mean, really?

I wasn't comparing their careers; Haynesworth's isn't even over yet. I was pointing out how some posters exaggerate how "team oriented" former generations of football were. I only brought up Riggins because he supposedly did what so many people act like never happened before the year 2000; he held out for more money.

My comparison really wasn't even specific to Haynesworth; I just get frustrated with some of the exaggerations.

Did anybody follow the drama in Chicago with Urlacher being all butt hurt because of Sayer's comments? This is no different. IAveteran team LEGEND has an opinion. The media puts the opinion into print and you have instant controversy. I for one agree with Mann, AH needs to show up and play. Needs to be a TEAM player, no two ways about it.

Certain expectations come with a $100M contract, showing up to build chemistry with your team should be one of them.

Why keep talking about chemistry, when multiple players have made comments, including one player making a thread on this board, saying that they understand the situation and will welcome Albert when he comes.

Do any of you watch NFL Network?? There are tons of players holding out for all kinds of reasons. Haynesworth is not even holding out, he's working with his proven trainers. People need to keep the entire situation in perspective and stop with the politically correct "tunnel vision" type statements.

Again with the ridiculous comparisons.

Come on, Irep, you're a smart guy, what's with this crap?

Riggins: Hall of Fame; all-time leading rusher for the Redskins; Riggo Run, etc.

Hayensworth: A piece of crap.

I mean, really?

So using your logic, as long as you are a productive player you can hold out for an entire seasons worth of games and that is ok? Yet if you are a "failure" as a player, it is unacceptable to miss voluntary offseason training?

Did you just call us The Over The Hill Gang? lol

B&G never fades !!!!!

Haha nothing but respect for the veteran fans from me. I just have to stick up for the younger guys from time to time. Still, in the back of my mind, I know that I may look back on these debates I had with you all 10 years from now and think, "What was I saying??"

ONCE A REDSKIN ALWAYS A REDSKIN, MANN IS JUST THAT. This is AMERICA Mann can say whatever he wants to. If your hired by a company for a LOT of money, and after the first year the CEO leaves, would you tell the new CEO hey I dont like the way your running this company. Who's running this team anyway. I know 99.9 percent of us would be out the door before we knew what hit us. I think they sould trade him for a good WR.
Actually, the new CEO would do nothing if you not showing up for VOLUNTARY training was all you did. Do you think a new CEO would fire someone who didn't show up to the company picnic? Especially if it was a union employee whose CBA specifically bargained what was voluntary vs mandatory?

Most employers are thrilled if you show up and do your job. AH will show up and do his job.

I wish Haynesworth had half the heart of Charles Mann. Charles loved player the game and always had a smile on his face through the battles in the trenches while this guy takes plays off and complains about a defense that might be suited for him. What a shame, let's hope Albert surprises us all

You can really tell it's the offseason when something like this gets blown up to epic proportions.

Reporters are scrambling for something, anything to write, doesn't matter whether its relevant or substantial or anything else. So, a guy sticks a mike in Mann's face and prods him to make some comment that he can weave into a story before his deadline. BFD

I love how the age card gets thrown around with utter abandon too. If this board has not proven anything else, it is that the "kids" are frequently knowledgeable and right, and there are plenty of immature A-holes in their 40's and 50's. Age don't mean jack****

Yep, I agree. This is much, much different to me. Hell, this is even different than when Riggins was bashing Snyder because Riggins, despite being an all-time great on the field, is viewed by many as a little nuts and flaky.

This is coming from someone who not only played at a championship level but was also epitomized being a team leader and classy, intelligent player. This (rightfully) carries a lot of weight.

Do you actually think Albert Haynesworth cares what anyone says about him?

You people are taking this dead beat story to seriously. Let the man come to this mandatory training session first before you give in to what others are jealous about - Albert makes "X" amount of money. The magic word here is VOLUNTARY, with the exception of this upcoming mini-camp.

I mean my stance on Haynesworth is this:

A good majority of people would give up on working in general if they were paid 100 million dollars. Their life would be set.

This means, when you hand out this kind of money, you have to make sure that this is the kind of person that eats, sleeps, and breathes football. This person can't be satisfied with his life unless he has a completely dominant football career and wins multiple superbowls.

I don't think Haynesworth is this type of person... so it was a mistake to pay him this much and still expect him to perform.

Reality check to all those out here stating 'get off AH' or 'It's not mandatory'.

How are you and your family doing? 100 million give you some stability?

Just like Mann, I would crawl on the ground backwards too, but you can add a big pile of pig S!!! on the ground.

What are we asking from AH. Oh yea... to play football. Anyone defending him or anything other than being at Redskin park has lost touch between reality and what has become modern day sports.

So we want you to 'work from May to possibly January for 100 million. What? you need more 'me time'...ok

Just because Jim Zorn's offseason program was not up to AH's standards (according to him) doesn't mean that Mike Shanahan's program fits into the same category.

But Haynesworth never gave Shanahan or the team a chance.

Shanny didn't have an offseason program at the time. The training staff was hired shortly before the Draft.

I read what was posted here after I left but as I expected most of you just don't get this. I'll try one more time but I don't expect this crowd to actually comprehend what I'm saying and will just try and gang up on me and silence this voice.

Most of those who have been very vocal about displeasure with Albert Hanyesworth missing volentary practice don't seem to get it that volentary is VOLENTARY. Just because your company pays your salary doesn't mean that they own you. If your boss said "Working Saturday is volentary" how many of you would come in? If you don't come in do you expect to get fired?

If your AH and you just helped your new team double it's sack production would you expect the fans of the team to turn on you like this because you missed VOLENTARY practice? Of course not but alas this is Washington DC Redskins fans, the wanna be Eagles fans who boo everything these days and think it's cool. Guys like Portis get trashed by the same people who trash AH.

Played great....doesn't matter the same old fans hate you.

Did more then expected...still doesn't matter same old fans still hate you.

Hated on for things not in your control like a trade...still doesn't matter the same old fans will still hate you.

AH is no different in fact it's popular to hate AH today just like it was popular to hate Campbell last year and Portis since he came on board. We have far too many haters on this forum for my liking. Maybe I don't like reading this because of all of the Redskins hate I see all the time in the real world. Maybe I defend AH just to prove this point. Honestly none of us knows what AH is going to be like this year. But we do know this...

Last year AH did come into camp and do those volentary workouts and we saw how out of shape AH was last year. Some fans complained about it then and still do complain about it today. However to me this is a case of insanity. Some of you expect AH to do the same thing this year and expect a different result because Shanny is here....it was a complete waste of time last year and didn't work but you want AH to do the same thing again this year and automatically expect it to be different. That's a classic case of insanity in my opinion. He did it last year and failed, so he tried something different but something he knew very well and knew would work. Yet some of you aren't happy with that.

The reason why I think most of you big mouths in this thread are really haters is because you refuse to think for just one minute that just maybe AH knows what AH is doing. You won't admit that maybe AH is right, maybe what he needed was to get away and get in shape his way. You won't admit that maybe this whole "team building" crap in June is just that...crap. The idea isn't very far fetched yet the same old big mouth fans who based on the tags they got post all the time over and over again the same old crap and talk in certainities that this won't work even though they have no proof to think that way.

And yet here I am being called emotional because I say have a little faith. You think actually believing and hoping the best is going to happen just is impossible and anyone doing that is living in a dream world. Anyone who speaks against the overall negativity is ganged up on. Anyone who says "hey guys have faith" is given 100 reasons why that can't be, instead of seeing 100 reasons why it could. Why aren't you ganging up on the negativity? I'm am sick of all of the negativity being put at the feet of the players. All along all I've said is WAIT UNTIL HE SHOWS UP.

If you want to bring up what the man did 6 years ago then your a hater in my eyes.

If you want to say every player must be at volentary practices or they don't care, aren't good team players, and should be traded you are a hater in my eyes.

If you refuse to give AH a single break in this then your a hater.

You hate the man because he has much more money then you do and expect that with money comes great responsibility...well this isn't Spider-man and that's just not the way it works in the real world. Before AH was the 100 million dollar man, he was AH. He is the same dude that he's always been, money doesn't make you suddenly responsible. He like you and I makes mistakes. The problem is so many of you already judged him and sentenced him before training camp even started. It's a damn shame that our players don't have been fans then this.

Give the man and every player a chance. Santana Moss was caught cheating yet there isn't this backlash. We've had players beating each other up before and there wasn't this much hate. I think if AH was oh IDK say maybe Rocky MCIntosh this wouldn't even be an issue, but since he's got 100 million many of you just get off on trashing him...classic hate

Reality check to all those out here stating 'get off AH' or 'It's not mandatory'.

How are you and your family doing? 100 million give you some stability?

Just like Mann, I would crawl on the ground backwards too, but you can add a big pile of pig S!!! on the ground.

What are we asking from AH. Oh yea... to play football. Anyone defending him or anything other than being at Redskin park has lost touch between reality and what has become modern day sports.

So we want you to 'work from May to possibly January for 100 million. What? you need more 'me time'...ok

Just maybe voluntary workouts were not a part of the agreement Albert signed up for. Maybe his contract says screw the voluntary ----.

Dan Snyder does not have the right to be disappointed with AH not being at the voluntary workouts. Remember, Vinny and Dan signed Albert to his contract. They made Albert what he is to you, the fan, to the media and to other players by giving him the inflated sport's money.

It's VOLUNTARY, what is it you don't understand.

Its funny that EVERY other Redskin on the roster showed up except AH.

Is he better then the other 80 players trying to WIN on this team. It has nothing to do with Mandatory or not. Its all about being a team player.

Didn't we see this same thing with other players on this team in the recent past.

Some of you people in here just don't get it.

Mr. Mann was a integral part of our Superbowl era. He can say whatever the hell he wants in IMO. He earned his stripes and AH hasn't. Yet, some of you continue to defend this guy as if he's been a Redskin for ten years.

YES! opinions should be defended regardless of their intellectual merit or relevancy!

Of course!

YES! opinions should be defended regardless of their intellectual merit or relevancy!

Of course!

Your questioning the intellectual merit of the views from an all time Redskin great and the relevancy there in when it comes to the continued, on going disrespect of coaches, fans and teammates alike from a man that's done next to nothing in this game.

SERIOUSLY?

Hail.

Actually, the new CEO would do nothing if you not showing up for VOLUNTARY training was all you did. Do you think a new CEO would fire someone who didn't show up to the company picnic? Especially if it was a union employee whose CBA specifically bargained what was voluntary vs mandatory?

Most employers are thrilled if you show up and do your job. AH will show up and do his job.

Well, the Redskins aren't threatening to withhold his money or anything since AH isn't doing anything against the rules.

However, to use your analogy accurately, I don't think it would be ridiculous for a brand new CEO to want his inherited management team (best comparison I can use for a highly-paid player from a previous regime) to want to be up front and center at all of those company-sponsored events. Furthermore, if one exec decided to skip ALL OF THEM, I wouldn't think it was out of bounds for members of the board or other people associated with the company to want that guy to be present.

I'm not saying he should be cut/benched/disciplined. I'm just saying that other players and ex-players who ARE or DID give their all to this organization have every right to comment on his lack of dedication.

AH is no different in fact it's popular to hate AH today just like it was popular to hate Campbell last year and Portis since he came on board. We have far too many haters on this forum for my liking. Maybe I don't like reading this because of all of the Redskins hate I see all the time in the real world. Maybe I defend AH just to prove this point. Honestly none of us knows what AH is going to be like this year. But we do know this...

Last year AH did come into camp and do those volentary workouts and we saw how out of shape AH was last year.

To be fair, very few people hated JC other than for his inadequacies as a QB. I personally think he trained hard, studied hard, and played hard. He just wasn't that good. I think the coaches were forced into playing him before he was ready, and that's sad. JC's a good guy who cared about the Skins.

The offseason workout program and voluntary OTAs are two different things. Very few people on ES care about AH attending the offseason workout program - I'm sure that AH could get better workout elsewhere. The question is whether AH could take of 3-4 weekends out of his busy offseason to learn a new defensive scheme. OTAs don't get you in shape, they are the introduction to new schemes for the year. Its not that AH can't learn the new scheme in 4 weeks of training camps; its that he'll be holding back all his teammates who attended OTAs while he learns it.

Pretty funny that AH played college ball for the Volunteers. I guess there aren't any teams called the Mandatories.

The offseason workout program and voluntary OTAs are two different things. Very few people on ES care about AH attending the offseason workout program - I'm sure that AH could get better workout elsewhere.

Actually, a helluva lot of people were pissed the eff OFF that Haynesworth chose to work out on his own. Before there was even one voluntary minicamp we had scores of threads trashing Haynesworth over his wanting to train with his own guys instead of with the team. Most criticisms said that it was just an excuse, that the real reason was because AH was "fat and lazy", that he placed himself "above the team" for not working out with them, and that he used the same training team last year and "still showed up out of shape".

It's only recently that the criticisms changed to "Well, working out by himself is not the issue" lol...If I had even an ounce of desire I'd go back and bump all the threads from after the first team voluntary workouts that slammed Haynesworth for not showing up.

(EARTHQUAKE AS I TYPE THIS!! LOL :paranoid: )

Archived