Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Charles Mann calls out Albert Haynesworth

authentic

Will there be 100% attendance at the mandatory OTA's?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be 100% attendance at the mandatory OTA's?

• Yes. 100%!!! (Except for any excused absences.)
    • No. Everyone is not going to show up.
    • Who cares? I'm a Troll and not a Redskins fan!

click for the rest

"Man, lemme tell you this, for a million dollars I would have done all those things, not a hundred million," Mann told Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro last week. "And I've sat with Albert and his wife and his mother at an event in the community. I just don't think he realizes. I'm looking at athletic events, I'm looking at the way these athletes handle different situations, and I look, and I say gosh..lee.

"I mean, you go through it, you're young, and you think this is the way it's supposed to be and this is just regular life, and they have no clue as to the opportunity that they'r'e in the midst of. I'd crawl on the ground backwards for a hundred million dollars.

"I mean, just do the work. He looks more like a nose tackle, and a 3-4's gonna be great for him. You know why a 3-4 would be great? Because all he'll have to do is what he did last year, and that's just fall on the ground, pile it up a little bit and the linebackers roll past you and make the plays, He doesn't even have to make a play in the 3-4."

The next question was whether the NFL needs to work out some better offseason system, so that every June isn't consumed with stories of who's going to voluntary camp and who isn't. Mann demurred.

"My success is based on the team's," he said. "If the team goes to the playoffs and does well and ultimately gets to the Super Bowl, then guess what, there'll be a lot of All Pros on that team, there'll be a lot of accolades for the individuals. Everything happens if you do well as a team. And so if I'm out there slaving and working my butt off, and Albert is sitting at home cooling it or complaining or whatever, me as a teammate of his is gonna go handle this situation. I don't need Coach Shanahan or anybody else or the league to do anything they need to do. We've got to get to the bottom of this. Is it about winning, or is it about you being comfortable or uncomfortable?"

So, does Mann think Haynesworth shows up this week in shape?

"HECK no," he said. "Heck no. Did he show up last year in shape for the league, for the season? I mean, c'mon now."

And does he think Haynesworth will be traded before the season?

"You know what, Mike Shanahan's a smart guy, and he's won some Super Bowls," Mann said. "Just saying that, the next breath would be absolutely. He's just trying to get the right number."

wow. :munchout:

Hopefully this won't turn into the LaVar-Portis level trash talk. I respect his opinion and understand where he's coming from, and hopefully it will motivate AH to show him up, but I can see this just turning into another distraction off the field, which we don't need it to be. Too many players on our current roster have too big egos to let someone talk bad about them and let it slide.

On the other hand though, too many of our former players are trying to stir up trouble where we don't need it. Granted, they have room to talk as they are some of the greats, but do we really need to start this war now? Wait till he shows up out of shape to begin the talk...

Love Mann, but........

E. Nough. With the AH "news".

Oh wait, its not news. Its everybody running with a story that stopped being a story 3 months ago, when he informed everybody of his offseason plans and then proceeded to follow them exactly, from that point on. Even former Skins greats aren't immune to the draw of this old-as-**** "story".

Love Mann, but........

E. Nough. With the AH "news".

Oh wait, its not news. Its everybody running with a story that stopped being a story 3 months ago, when he informed everybody of his offseason plans and then proceeded to follow them exactly, from that point on. Even former Skins greats aren't immune to the draw of this old-as-**** "story".

Exactly! 1/2 of these talking heads will have nothing to say and the other half will back-pedal if he comes in here in great shape. The Leauge rules say the sessions are voluntary. Voluntary means just that. Voluntary does not ahve a different meaning if you make $1 per year or $100M dollars per year.

Q:How many OTA's did Mann attend? A:0 because when he playeed training camp was the only thing they had to attend to prepare for the season. I respect Mann for all he did with the B&G but taking the temparrature of anybody that has a pulse and name on this issue is really sad.

"I mean, just do the work. He looks more like a nose tackle, and a 3-4's gonna be great for him. You know why a 3-4 would be great? Because all he'll have to do is what he did last year, and that's just fall on the ground, pile it up a little bit and the linebackers roll past you and make the plays, He doesn't even have to make a play in the 3-4."

**snort**

:ols:

Mr. Mann was a integral part of our Superbowl era. He can say whatever the hell he wants in IMO..

I did think Mann was a bit over-the-top in some of his comments. But i tend to agree with you here. He has earned enough respect to say what ever he wants about the team. Guys like Mann, Manley, Monk, Clark....basically all the key contributors to the "glory days" can say what ever they feel about the team. That's my opinion though.

Guys like Mann, Manley, Monk, Clark....basically all the key contributors to the "glory days" can say what ever they feel about the team.

But you don't hear anything coming from Manley, Monk, or Clark...and you could justify Monk or Clark with the apparent shortcomings we have at receiver. You just don't need to stir anything up right now. Too much else to focus on in preseason, especially with two new systems being integrated.

Mr. Mann was a integral part of our Superbowl era. He can say whatever the hell he wants in IMO. He earned his stripes and AH hasn't. Yet, some of you continue to defend this guy as if he's been a Redskin for ten years.

Yes, he was. Why does that give him a right to comment on current goings-on at Redskins Park? Being great in your era doesn't mean you're qualified to comment on your old team decades later. Not in that manner. Just like being a great player doesn't mean you'll be a great coach or great commentator, it doesn't mean you'll be a great sounding board on something like this, either.

If anything, it sounded like he was pretty bitter about getting paid jack-**** compared to today's players, and AH is the poster boy for that.

Exactly! 1/2 of these talking heads will have nothing to say and the other half will back-pedal if he comes in here in great shape. The Leauge rules say the sessions are voluntary. Voluntary means just that. Voluntary does not ahve a different meaning if you make $1 per year or $100M dollars per year.

Q:How many OTA's did Mann attend? A:0 because when he playeed training camp was the only thing they had to attend to prepare for the season. I respect Mann for all he did with the B&G but taking the temparrature of anybody that has a pulse and name on this issue is really sad.

Yes, agreed. With no real stories out of Redskins park, its like the Media has to search out controversial interviews on old stories such as this.

**snort**

:ols:

While that was a funny quote, its still representative of what I said above to KingGibbs. If Mann was going to comment on this, he could have at least been informed. Like the media all off-season, he just spouted what we've been reading for months about AH playing NT. When, if you read the only things that actually DO matter, the quotes from coaches, we know he'll actually be moving around and playing a lot of end.

I'm sorry, but Mann just came off as insulting and ignorant, saying that he'll be able to do what he does best and not make plays. The entire reason for all of this media-fed bull-**** is the fact that AH is a playmaker, and thought that a 3-4 would limit his potential to....yup....make plays.

It sounds like Mann is bumming that he missed out on the era of overpaid players.

And he does give some support to Haynesworths argument that he is wasted in the 3-4. Haynesworth may be boycotting optionals because he felt he was lied to as to how he was going to be used here. He thinks the organization lied to him, while we think it was Vinny Blache and Zorn. They represented the Redskins. Now we at least are openly telling him we arent going use him in the way he likes.

Doesnt change anything, the damage done under the previous regimes will take a few years to play themselves out. Contracts prevent a turnkey solution to all the problems they caused.

You know what is funny about what Charles Mann says? He didn't have to worry about OTAs back in the day. There were mini-camps and training camp. And Russ Grimm and others have said that the first week of TC was used simply to get into shape. So basically, Mann is complaining that AH is enjoying his offseason the same way Mann enjoyed his....

And I love Charles Mann. Got an autographed 8x10 hangin on my basement wall.

Yes, he was. Why does that give him a right to comment on current goings-on at Redskins Park? Being great in your era doesn't mean you're qualified to comment on your old team decades later. Not in that manner. Just like being a great player doesn't mean you'll be a great coach or great commentator, it doesn't mean you'll be a great sounding board on something like this, either.

If anything, it sounded like he was pretty bitter about getting paid jack-**** compared to today's players, and AH is the poster boy for that.

Yes, agreed. With no real stories out of Redskins park, its like the Media has to search out controversial interviews on old stories such as this.

These athletes from that era and before helped build the NFL into the monster it is today. If it weren't for them and the CBA that they fought for these players wouldn't be making the ridiculous sums of money that they do.

Basically. Mann and many players from his generation are saying that a lot of these players don't appreciate the game like they should considering the coin they are making and the sacrifices made by the players before them.

You're 20 and hardly have an appreciation for the players in that era. Seldom did you see those guys come out of a game unless one of their limbs were dangling. You're generation has a higher tolerance level for the AH's of the game then us older folks because we saw what those guys went through. Just look at the old NFL films and the blood and broken bones those guys played through.

Today's players are bigger and stronger, but they are certainly not tougher.

From the article:

So, does Mann think Haynesworth shows up this week in shape?

"HECK no," he said. "Heck no. Did he show up last year in shape for the league, for the season? I mean, c'mon now."

Does he realize that last year was a result of Albert working out with the team?

Mr. Mann was a integral part of our Superbowl era. He can say whatever the hell he wants in IMO. He earned his stripes and AH hasn't. Yet, some of you continue to defend this guy as if he's been a Redskin for ten years.

i agree with all of this. i love it when all-time redskins go off on present-day stuff. these guys are part of the history of this team and i think it is fascinating when they care enough about their legacy being upheld to make public comments about the current situation.

that being said, you have to take it as just one more piece of information on which to form your own opinion. mann isn't automatically any more right about this issue than shanny or haynesworth himself. as for the speculation about his conditioning... we'll find out soon enough, right? can't we just wait and see what we actually get?

These athletes from that era and before helped build the NFL into the monster it is today. If it weren't for them and the CBA that they fought for these players wouldn't be making the ridiculous sums of money that they do.

Basically. Mann and many players from his generation are saying that a lot of these players don't appreciate the game like they should considering the coin they are making and the sacrifices made by the players before them.

You're 20 and hardly have an appreciation for the players in that era. Seldom did you see those guys come out of a game unless one of their limbs were dangling. You're generation has a higher tolerance level for the AH's of the game then us older folks because we saw what those guys went through. Just look at the old NFL films and the blood and broken bones those guys played through.

Today's players are bigger and stronger, but they are certainly not tougher.

I don't deny the truth of any of that, at all.

But its a different era now, and in some ways, a different game and a different league. That's where my comments about Mann not being qualified to analyze this situation come from.

He's not fully informed on the situation, which is obvious from some of his comments, and frankly, he comes off as bitter and ignorant (on this topic).

The place he has in Redskins history gives him a lot of leeway, just like all the other old-school players that, as you say, built the foundation for these younger players who perhaps don't appreciate it. But the way he expresses his opinions in this article don't get a pass in my eyes, while they obviously do in yours.

I don't deny the truth of any of that, at all.

But its a different era now, and in some ways, a different game and a different league. That's where my comments about Mann not being qualified to analyze this situation come from.

With all due respect grasshopper. Charles is more qualified to analyze this situation then you, I and all of the members combined on this board. He is still very in touch with today's game and players.

BTW. Let's not forget that Mann was a D'lineman. He knows what it takes to be able to succeed at this level. So again, his experience warrants his opinions IMO.

Charles Mann, two years in a row, was a no-show at a Freddie Mac-sponsored charity event for Wednesday's Child. Right or wrong, that's colored my opinion of him in subsequent years, and does especially in this case... him talking about someone not showing up for something.

Charles Mann, two years in a row, was a no-show at a Freddie Mac-sponsored charity event for Wednesday's Child. Right or wrong, that's colored my opinion of him in subsequent years, and does especially in this case... him talking about someone not showing up for something.

I did not know this. Personally, I think that is BS, especially since it is for a good cause.

But, that's comparing apples and oranges when we are talking about the MILLIONS AH has/is making.

Come on, Charles... really?

This is going to be the same thing as the Urlacher soap-opera going on in Chicago right now.

Why can't retired players just keep their mouths shut? Unless they're on their coaching staff, they don't really have a right to talk trash. Their days are up. They're no longer a part of what's going on.

What's next? Are current players going to watch tape of retired players and make fun of their fumbles or blown coverage?

The game has changed, the economy has changed... NOTHING is comparable. Just shut up and watch football already, man!

Thanks to this intervew, ESPN thinks Haynesworth is back on the market...

Haynesworth trade rumors back on?

8:17 AM ET

Albert Haynesworth | Redskins | Interested: Raiders?, Lions?, Titans? Top Email

Last week, there was a report that Albert Haynesworth was expected to return to the team for mandatory mini-camp that begins this week. Prior to that, most of the rumors regarding Haynesworth this offseason had centered on the possibility of his being traded. Fundamentally, there are two big problems: one, Haynesworth has soured his reputation with the Mike Shanahan regime by his absence and two, there are some who feel that he might not be well-suited to play on a three-man defensive front -- Albert is included in that cohort, by the way.

While we don't know how clued-in former Washington Redskins players might be to the current regime's thinking, it was interesting to read the comments Charles Mann made during an appearance on ESPN 980, per Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. Mann went on a diatribe about Haynesworth not showing up in spite of being so well-paid before commenting on the trade possibility. "You know what, Mike Shanahan's a smart guy, and he's won some Super Bowls," Mann said. "Just saying that, the next breath would be absolutely. He's just trying to get the right number."

So perhaps all it would take is for another team to sweeten the deal just a tad. Prior speculation on trade destinations for Haynesworth has included the Tennessee Titans, Detroit Lions and Oakland Raiders.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors#5079

With all due respect grasshopper. Charles is more qualified to analyze this situation then you, I and all of the members combined on this board. He is still very in touch with today's game and players.

BTW. Let's not forget that Mann was a D'lineman. He knows what it takes to be able to succeed at this level. So again, his experience warrants his opinions IMO.

I wasn't talking in terms of football knowledge, of course he would be qualified in that regard.

I was speaking in terms of this specific situation and interview, and his specific, pretty uninformed opinions on it.

His comments about AH's use as a NT rather than a DE, about him being a player who doesn't make plays, about the reasons for his poor conditioning last season, and even about the probability of a trade before the season starts, are all examples of his ignorance, on some level, in regards to this specific situation.

Edit: And see? I'm not the only one who feels this way ;)

Love ya Charles, but you are kinda being an ass here, and one who has little knowledge of the situation.

But, mostly because he didn't frame his thoughts on these things as opinions in his responses, but acted as though his opinions were fact, I have a problem with it. If he is going to use his status as a Skins' great to comment on a current, polarizing issue in a public forum, he should make sure he's fully informed. That is what I meant by not being qualified to speak on this topic.

Archived