Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Charles Mann calls out Albert Haynesworth

authentic

Will there be 100% attendance at the mandatory OTA's?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be 100% attendance at the mandatory OTA's?

• Yes. 100%!!! (Except for any excused absences.)
    • No. Everyone is not going to show up.
    • Who cares? I'm a Troll and not a Redskins fan!

Just because Jim Zorn's offseason program was not up to AH's standards (according to him) doesn't mean that Mike Shanahan's program fits into the same category.

But Haynesworth never gave Shanahan or the team a chance.

And THAT is what makes him a poor leader and teammate. Like it or not, you bring in a guy for that much money and he says his goal is to be a HOF DT, and you expect SOME sacrifice on his part.

Instead this guy has shown he is nothing but an oversized child.

Or, he's decided he's not going to depend on the team to get him into the shape he needs to be in to be a top performer and it going with what worked for him in the past. While it is certainly a "me first" move either way you look at it, it is a reflection of the NFL in recent years.

Anyways, we will have answers to some of this when he does come in, which is likely to be soon.

i don't necessarily think old players are trying to stir up trouble! i think a lot of our older/former players actually cared about this team and thats why we used to be great in the 1st place...if something you loved and busted your *** for to make great was now suddenly taken as a joke and looked at more as a paycheck, wouldn't you be inclined to say something? we need more players who "LOVE" this team and are willing to do whatever and are fed up with crap, then maybe we could get back to where we were.

Or, he's decided he's not going to depend on the team to get him into the shape he needs to be in to be a top performer and it going with what worked for him in the past. While it is certainly a "me first" move either way you look at it, it is a reflection of the NFL in recent years.

Anyways, we will have answers to some of this when he does come in, which is likely to be soon.

This statement and many others are banking on this guy coming into shape. I for one hope so as I'm sure Shanahan does as well. We'll soon find out as I do not believe he is being shopped around right now.

If you're tired of this story now, wait until he shows up out of shape (i hope not) then it'll be daily. Will make Charles Mann look like Larry Weisman.

Difference in generations. I for one think that Mann has earned the right to have an opinion just like Sayers in Chicago and these punk ass biatches currently playing in the NFL need to have some respect for the game, show up and be team players. I'm sick of these "me" ****s that think they're bigger than the game.

Individuals don't win championships! Selfish ****!

:rotflmao:

There's always one of you! :ols:

So you're a minority, but glad you agree with us old ****s.

I'm well over 30 and think anyone trying to push an asinine statement like "over 30 you fall into this opinion here" and "over 30 your opinion this is your opinion" really just shows how ignorant you are. The saddest part is that you don't realize how stupid this makes you look. Ignorance is flowing all over this thread. And even when it's pointed out to you that you look dumb you still don't care.

This statement and many others are banking on this guy coming into shape. I for one hope so as I'm sure Shanahan does as well. We'll soon find out as I do not believe he is being shopped around right now.

If you're tired of this story now, wait until he shows up out of shape (i hope not) then it'll be daily. Will make Charles Mann look like Larry Weisman.

Why if that happens the sun will rise in the east and set in the west, the haters will keep on hating, so called fans of the team will still be asking for us to dump this player or that one, what the hells gonna change about anyone's feelings regarding any of this if he comes into shape or not? I'll bet money that the same lame posters who've been riding AH like a rented mule will continue to ride him if he's in the best shape of his life. There is something mental about people who find so much enjoyment in pure misery and enjoy rooting for a team and hating it's players like many of you

I don't think so, either lol...but the idea that it doesn't matter if it's a problem because Mann has "room to talk" is what I was referring to.

I don't think it matters. Sorry.

Someone not affiliated with the team/a radio station/etc. verbally sparring with our DL?? I'll ask again...Who really cares??

Haven't you noticed that someone from almost every sports team in the country deals with something like this. I can't foresee it being a huge problem for the 2010 Washington Redskins.

Am I reading this right?...is Mann saying that if he were making $1 million he WOULD skip the voluntary stuff? lol...How can he say that and then go on to say that "team success" is all that matters? Would he be nodding his head in support if one of our low round D-Linemen was off doing his own thing instead of joining the team for the voluntary OTAs?

Personally I'm getting tired of people using salaries to justify their stances.

Huh? He's saying the EXACT opposite. Haynesworth SHOULD be there. I don't know how you could read it any other way.

I'm well over 30 and think anyone trying to push an asinine statement like "over 30 you fall into this opinion here" and "over 30 your opinion this is your opinion" really just shows how ignorant you are. The saddest part is that you don't realize how stupid this makes you look. Ignorance is flowing all over this thread. And even when it's pointed out to you that you look dumb you still don't care.

Wow man, calm down.

Why if that happens the sun will rise in the east and set in the west, the haters will keep on hating, so called fans of the team will still be asking for us to dump this player or that one, what the hells gonna change about anyone's feelings regarding any of this if he comes into shape or not? I'll bet money that the same lame posters who've been riding AH like a rented mule will continue to ride him if he's in the best shape of his life. There is something mental about people who find so much enjoyment in pure misery and enjoy rooting for a team and hating it's players like many of you

Questioning fanhood of posters makes you look pretty out there. We're 4-12 and on this board. I don't question the motivations of anyone here, pro- or anti- any player. And the point is that he should be there. I don't care about what shape he's in.

It's really sad to see this because bottom line is its just another case of player hating. Mann didn't make 100 million during his day, and its because of that damn contract that he feels the need to say some hater crap about AH like this. What the hell did AH do so wrong to make all of you haters just act like flies on crap?

Hey Charles Mann, guess what? The players today in 2010 won't make the same as the players in 2030. I guess that means the guys today get to whine and complain about those players just like you set the example huh? What a bunch of bs. Way to go overblowing and showing your true colors.

Our season does not sit at the feet of how AH performs in June. It's how a player performs in Sept-Jan that decides his season. If AH comes into camp like I expect then this crap will end. It needs to end and former players like Mann need to mind his own business

Yeah, did you read the article? It mentions his contract and it also mentions teamwork. I think that Mann knows one or two things about being a defensive lineman on a Super Bowl-winning defense.

And Heaven forbid a player who gave his all for this team has an opinion. If Monk came back and said that he supports Haynesworth, then I doubt that you'd be telling him to mind his own business.

These athletes from that era and before helped build the NFL into the monster it is today. If it weren't for them and the CBA that they fought for these players wouldn't be making the ridiculous sums of money that they do.

Basically. Mann and many players from his generation are saying that a lot of these players don't appreciate the game like they should considering the coin they are making and the sacrifices made by the players before them.

You're 20 and hardly have an appreciation for the players in that era. Seldom did you see those guys come out of a game unless one of their limbs were dangling. You're generation has a higher tolerance level for the AH's of the game then us older folks because we saw what those guys went through. Just look at the old NFL films and the blood and broken bones those guys played through.

Today's players are bigger and stronger, but they are certainly not tougher.

The money they are making makes them appreciate the game less in my opinion. Like everyone says..it is a business. For both sides. All parties involved.

I agree with what others have said. Mann didn't have OTA's and mini camps and off season conditioning. They cleaned out their lockers and showed up for the next training camp.

Football is different now. And of course the players of the 2000's aren't as tough as the players of the 90's who weren't as tough as the players of the 80's who weren't as tough as the players of the 70's etc etc etc

And Heaven forbid a player who gave his all for this team has an opinion. If Monk came back and said that he supports Haynesworth, then I doubt that you'd be telling him to mind his own business.

To me, it's not that he has an opinion, and frankly, IMHO, a good one. I'm of the opinion that no matter what his opinion is, he keep it to himself (or tone it down a lot), especially at this point of the season and in the state that the Skins are in.

Calling out a player like Haynesworth (big ego) will do nothing but cause dissention among the ranks. We all know Big Al is going to respond, and I can easily see this turning into their own version of LaVar-Portis, which is going to be a distraction when we don't need any, what with learning new offensive and defensive schemes, and in the case of the defense, a whole new system.

Hopefully Haynesworth will leave it be, and give his response on the field in his performance, using what Mann said as motivation to wreak havoc this season. Judging by the past and how big a contract and ego he has, he won't.

This has the chance to turn real ugly real fast.

Our former players' talk too much.

Just because they have a history with the team, doesn't mean they should be allowed to come back and wise crack on the current players.

Now, if Haynesworth responds, he will be the bad guy for speaking his mind.

Charles Mann has my respect but he doesn't know what is happening inside Redskins park, what type of arrangement was made between Shanahan and Haynesworth, or does he know what all the players think. He is as clueless as any of us fans and the media. Not one player on the current roster has a major problem with what Haynesworth is doing. Hayenesworth worked out last year with the team and the results of that were shown in his play. So this year he decided to work out with the trainer that got him into shape during his Pro Bowl year with the Titans. Is that so wrong?

Another thing that is being said is that he is going to be the starting noose tackle for the team. I have never heard that at all because they signed two guys that have played nose tackle so Haynesworth can play DE. He may play NT at times but he is not the starter at that position in my opinion. NO ONE KNOWS what they have planned for him or the team. Everyone is guessing and making up stories to see which one is going to stick. So if he comes into camp in shape and dominates this year then everyone will forget that he even missed OTA's. But if he doesn't perform then he deserves to be burnt.

You're 20 and hardly have an appreciation for the players in that era. Seldom did you see those guys come out of a game unless one of their limbs were dangling. You're generation has a higher tolerance level for the AH's of the game then us older folks because we saw what those guys went through. Just look at the old NFL films and the blood and broken bones those guys played through.

Today's players are bigger and stronger, but they are certainly not tougher.

Exactly! I've been coaching High School and rec for 25 years. And it gets worse every year. The number of mama's boys is growing out of control. That's why women all swarm after real men; even if he's already taken. Cause there aren't many of them! My boys will be real men though. They play thru bumps and bruises all the time. Luckily they haven't been seriously injured or I'd hold them out. But Man! There a whole lotta kids and young men that need to harden the Eff up!!

Our former players' talk too much.

Just because they have a history with the team, doesn't mean they should be allowed to come back and wise crack on the current players.

Now, if Haynesworth responds, he will be the bad guy for speaking his mind.

Two things...having success with an organization actually does give someone the right to comment on the current state of that organization. It's nice to see guys who we've watched hoist Lombardi trophies give their opinions about the team. I think it shows the city and the players/coaches that there is a precedent and standard. If the organization itself won't enforce it, the alumni and fans will.

The second thing is that Haynesworth IS the bad guy if he speaks his mind and it's disrespectful. It would do the current players (and this goes for all players, not just Redskins) some good to respect those that came before them.

If Haynesworth keeps quiet and shows up in shape, fine. Even if he responds respectfully to give his side and assure everyone that he's working out hard, I think that's fine. If he spouts off about why some old guy is getting on his case, he'll be correctly labeled the bad guy in this "feud" between ex-player and player.

Hate to be blunt about it but some of you are idiots, saying mann is a hypocrite because he didn't have OTAs blah blah blah

How much money did Mann make, and how much money does AH make....... Bam, Correct, AH is a selfish Idiot who has never won a superbowl, and had always cause problems.

Really a non issue for me. Mann can say what he wants, but like others in the media, I think he's way off base without knowing the facts. Why doesn't he go to AH's house to see if he's working out or scarfing down donuts? In other words, he doesn't know anymore than any of us and needs to keep his opinions to himself.

Hate to be blunt about it but some of you are idiots, saying mann is a hypocrite because he didn't have OTAs blah blah blah

How much money did Mann make, and how much money does AH make....... Bam, Correct, AH is a selfish Idiot who has never won a superbowl, and had always cause problems.

That argument is getting really old. It is becoming very apparent that a lot of you all hold a grudge against the players because they make a lot of money. For the wear and tear that these players take, compared to other sports, they are UNDER paid.

Wow man, calm down.

Living in Texas surrounded by all of these Cowboys fans has really opened my eyes to why there is such a bad aurra around the Redskins. A few minutes on the forum today shows me..

1. Many of our fans are ignorant.

2. Many of our fans are haters of our own players

It's sad to see. Why so many of you out there can't be like 99% of the normal rational football fans is beyond me and actually support your team and it's players. So many of you just support hating everyone in a Redskins uniform today and use our storied past as the measuring stick for current players. Instead of actually supporting players you rather support hating. I'm sorry if you feel as if I need to "calm down" but really it is you that needs to wise up and realize that your making other fans of the team look as dumb as you appear.

Questioning fanhood of posters makes you look pretty out there. We're 4-12 and on this board. I don't question the motivations of anyone here, pro- or anti- any player. And the point is that he should be there. I don't care about what shape he's in.

Really don't care how you think I look. As a fan you support the team and it's players. You give them a chance to show you what they got and you listen to the coaches. They say he's coming in. He says he's not there and getting into shape. You have nothing to support any other opinion other then hate by running him down now. You suck up to old washed up people who have no business ripping on current players because they like you are haters. You identify with the love of hating Redskins and identify with anyone who also wants to hate on our current players. I am a fan first and as a fan I believe you support your team. If AH comes in fat and out of shape then I will reevaluate my opinion. Until that happens there is nothing to see here other then the same old posters just showing what they are, haters.

Yeah, did you read the article? It mentions his contract and it also mentions teamwork. I think that Mann knows one or two things about being a defensive lineman on a Super Bowl-winning defense.

Timmy Smith couldn't hold Clinton Portis's jersey and he was a Superbowl winning player to. Winning a superbowl has nothing to do with anything. I lived in DC during the 1980's and there wasn't this existance of hate towards our players like there is now. A ring doesn't make you a better player. A Superbowl doesn't mean you can speak on anything and be correct about it. Go sleep at a holiday inn and let me know if you still don't comprehend

No I wouldn't, this is the only thing correct you've said here. I wouldn't say I disagreed with any current or former player that says that. Why? Because the message isn't one to cause discontent within the team. This message causes hate and discontent. There is ZERO proof of AH not being ready. Show it otherwise, otherwise continue to hate and show your a real "fan"

Really a non issue for me. Mann can say what he wants, but like others in the media, I think he's way off base without knowing the facts. Why doesn't he go to AH's house to see if he's working out or scarfing down donuts? In other words, he doesn't know anymore than any of us and needs to keep his opinions to himself.

Maybe his point has nothing to do with donuts or working out, but being at team events with his teammates?

To be honest, I don't doubt that Haynesworth is working out with his trainer like he said he is. I just don't see why he couldn't have compromised more and come to the mini-camps or something.

If he wants to do his own working out day in and day out, I get that. But he could have come to the 3-day mini-camps and spent some time with the team.

Two things...having success with an organization actually does give someone the right to comment on the current state of that organization. It's nice to see guys who we've watched hoist Lombardi trophies give their opinions about the team. I think it shows the city and the players/coaches that there is a precedent and standard. If the organization itself won't enforce it, the alumni and fans will.

The second thing is that Haynesworth IS the bad guy if he speaks his mind and it's disrespectful. It would do the current players (and this goes for all players, not just Redskins) some good to respect those that came before them.

If Haynesworth keeps quiet and shows up in shape, fine. Even if he responds respectfully to give his side and assure everyone that he's working out hard, I think that's fine. If he spouts off about why some old guy is getting on his case, he'll be correctly labeled the bad guy in this "feud" between ex-player and player.

He's not commenting on the state of the organization, he is taking direct shots at a player. If some guy that worked for your company 20 years ago comes out of nowhere and starts ripping you for what you do in your free time, I doubt you'll be as understanding.

I don't care how much an individual player makes. I don't care how much the coach makes.

What I do care about is seeing quality football :D

And THAT is not going to happen in a team sport when you still have guys with a loser's mentality who are the headliners.

Why didn't Haynesworth resign with Tennessee any time during the 2 plus years he was working under the franchise label?

It wasn't ONLY the money.

Obviously, Fisher and others in the Titans' organization knew the jekyll and hyde nature of what Haynesworth could do.

He could dominate a football game if in shape and ready to play.

Or he could be a coach killer.

Or he could end up being involved in some ugly incidents like stomping another players' face when lying on the ground or in allegedly threatening his estranged wife.

This guy is not Junior Seau or Darrell Green who is going to 'lead' a defense into the postseason.

This is a guy that OTHER players have to watch and confront when necessary to get him to perform and stop whining.

Archived