Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Charles Mann calls out Albert Haynesworth

authentic

Will there be 100% attendance at the mandatory OTA's?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be 100% attendance at the mandatory OTA's?

• Yes. 100%!!! (Except for any excused absences.)
    • No. Everyone is not going to show up.
    • Who cares? I'm a Troll and not a Redskins fan!

If Charles Mann was that concerned about Haynesworth and not trying to make this all about himself, he would have just gave the man a call to talk to him. But did he do this, no, he went straight to the media to run his mouth like so many other people have done.

I'm sure 980 was on the phone just trying to find a big name they could get on the air to stir things up and boost there ratings, that's all this was about anyways.

If Charles Mann was that concerned about Haynesworth and not trying to make this all about himself, he would have just gave the man a call to talk to him. But did he do this, no, he went straight to the media to run his mouth like so many other people have done.

I'm sure 980 was on the phone just trying to find a big name they could get on the air to stir things up and boost there ratings, that's all this was about anyways.

Who said he was "that concerned" about it? Someone asked for his opinion on a subject and he gave it. Being a world class athlete and ex-player for the team, he's a perfectly fine person to ask. Why would Mann call him about it?

People are getting so defensive about Haynesworth that they are actually really starting to make no sense.

Actually, Mann went on 980 to talk about his football camp. They just asked him his opinion on the Haynesworth situation first.

Who said he was "that concerned" about it? Someone asked for his opinion on a subject and he gave it. Being a world class athlete and ex-player for the team, he's a perfectly fine person to ask. Why would Mann call him about it?

People are getting so defensive about Haynesworth that they are actually really starting to make no sense.

And what amazing new insight did Charles Mann provide to the situation? Nothing at all, all he did was add to the already massive pile of bs concerning Haynesworth.

Actually, Mann went on 980 to talk about his football camp. They just asked him his opinion on the Haynesworth situation first.

And I'm sure when they set it up, they never once asked him if he wouldn't mind talking about Haynesworth. :ols:

And what amazing new insight did Charles Mann provide to the situation? Nothing at all, all he did was add to the already massive pile of bs concerning Haynesworth.

Who cares? His opinion is just as valid regardless of any insight he added. As a former player, he expressed that he wouldn't appreciate this behavior from a teammate. Seems valid and reasonable to me.

What am I missing? Where do you disagree?

Actually, I thought his response to one of the questions was very interesting.

When he was asked, basically, if he thought it was unfair to expect players to attend 'voluntary' workouts, and shouldn't maybe something be done about that, as a player I would have expected him to say something like teams shouldn't be pressuring players to do extra stuff or something. Instead, he said the players should take it on themselves to make sure the entire team attends. He comes from the mindset that the players need to look out for each other, motivate each other, and if necessary kick each other in the ***. Not the coaches. Not the owners. The players, because Team is the most important thing. That's something you don't see as much of these days in pro sports, ESPECIALLY at Redskin Park. And I think it was a good and useful observation.

And I'm sure when they set it up, they never once asked him if he wouldn't mind talking about Haynesworth. :ols:

So you make the false assertion that he went to the media about this. When that is debunked, you make a ridiculous assumption that he was already told that he would be asked about Haynesworth.

Man, the lengths that people will go when grasping for straws.

I still don't see why you all over analyze Haynesworth missing the voluntary workouts like this. Seriously, players miss these workouts every year, on every team, for every reason; winning and losing teams, teams with new or steady coaching. Other than Haynesworth having a lot of money, what makes his situation so TERRIBLE that you all are so up in arms?

Even if you are mad about his play last year, that isn't a good reason to be mad about this, because the whole point of him returning to his trainers was to get back to his best form- but you all knew that.

Even if you want to use the whole chemistry line, multiple players have already spoken out about the situation, and have said they understand and will accept AH when he arrives. Also, if missing the watered down OTA's was such a big deal then no team in the league would have chemistry, because MANY players missed their teams' for different reasons.

The only thing about Al is he's really really rich; which many of you don't like, and he's not a media darling; which sets up the media negative hype for you all to feed in to.

Since when exactly has the fat man been anointed League Defensive MVP, or any other season MVP for that matter Siven? Was this a Madden season you'd like to share?

Again, for all the hype, he's done next to nothing in this game to date to justify the praise thrown his way. It must make you so proud to blindly disrespect anything that comes to hand to vainly defend the man, the latest being a HoF bound, two time SB winning HC's wishes through an all time Redskin and league great who HAS done it all in the game and then some; to continue to make the case for a current player who's a complete nobody in reality to those two men alone.

And yet again, your missing by the preverbal Country mile the point on the context of "voluntary" in every facet when it comes to pro-sports, so we'll agree to disagree to save going around in yet more circles.

Hail.

Can we both agree that it's "you're" not "your"

OK, I concede I mistakenly said he won an MVP award... fine, he was universally agreed to be the best defensive tackle in the league and is considered an elite player (hence why he gets so much press)

Furthermore, CLEARLY, I blindly disrespect the opinion of a man that has been so far removed from the game he's no longer relevant. What does Charles Mann know about today's game; the endorsements, the millions, player responsibilities.

Give me a break, Albert Haynesworth might not be doing what we want him to do, but he's not our slave either.

Also, please refrain from inferring that I in somehow "get off" on disrespecting "football greats." Seriously, grow up and stop using ad hominem arguments.

It must all be in my master plan of destroying every trace of the Redskins respectability!

<steeples fingers>

I still don't see why you all over analyze Haynesworth missing the voluntary workouts like this. Seriously, players miss these workouts every year, on every team, for every reason; winning and losing teams, teams with new or steady coaching. Other than Haynesworth having a lot of money, what makes his situation so TERRIBLE that you all are so up in arms?

Even if you are mad about his play last year, that isn't a good reason to be mad about this, because the whole point of him returning to his trainers was to get back to his best form- but you all knew that.

Even if you want to use the whole chemistry line, multiple players have already spoken out about the situation, and have said they understand and will accept AH when he arrives. Also, if missing the watered down OTA's was such a big deal then no team in the league would have chemistry, because MANY players missed their teams' for different reasons.

The only thing about Al is he's really really rich; which many of you don't like, and he's not a media darling; which sets up the media negative hype for you all to feed in to.

It's not the workouts, it's the mini-camps. Personally, I couldn't care less if he misses the workouts. And sure lots of players miss workouts. Fewer miss mini-camps. And usually the guys who miss minicamp have a contract issue and haven't signed the richest contract for a defensive player one year ago. It's one thing to miss mini-camps with an established system and quite another when they're installing a new scheme.

Al being rich isn't an issue. It's not why people are upset. ALL of the players are rich. And he's not a media darling because of his actions. This is a guy who stomped on another players head in a game among other things. Does that make him a bad guy? I don't know, but it sure doesn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

If it wasn't for Dexter, Charles Mann would have been just a twist above average. Dexter took on the double coverages and still was great. So please don't try to sugar coat Charles' importance to this franchise.

This.

People like to think that the Redskin glory years were down to a bunch of average, blue collar guys that busted their butts for victory year after year.

More like some elite players with a lot of average ones playing in (what was at the time) an elite scheme and coaching group.

But, hey, lets not have facts get in the way of a debate.

This.

People like to think that the Redskin glory years were down to a bunch of average, blue collar guys that busted their butts for victory year after year.

More like some elite players with a lot of average ones playing in (what was at the time) an elite scheme and coaching group.

Um, it was already proven that Manley made the Pro Bowl during his best season while winning the Super Bowl for the SECOND time, all WITHOUT Manley.

But, you know, let's not have facts get in the way of a debate. ;)

This.

I think what you mean to say is "let's not have my opinion get in the way of a debate"

You have presented no facts in your post whatsoever.

If you look strictly at facts you'll have to note that Mann went to four pro bowls while Manley only went to one. You'd also notice that Mann went to a pro bowl without Manley opposite him but Manley never went without Mann on the other side. Both are members of the Redskins Ring of Fame. Both are listed amongst the 70 Greatest Redskins. Those are actual facts.

Now, I'm not saying Mann was the better player. But calling Mann a smidge over average because he dared to say unkind things about a current player is silly, in my opinion. It would be like saying Osi carried Strahan when they played together instead of recognizing they were both pretty darn good players in their own right.

Odd then, isn't it, that Mann went to the pro-bowl when we won the Superbowl in 1991, leading the team with 11.5 sacks, when Manley was playing for Tampa Bay. It's also kinda funny that while Manley went to the pro-bowl in '86, it was Mann who went in '87, '88 and '89. The man was a full-time starter for the Redskins for 11 straight years, three NFC championship teams and two SB winning teams, missing no more than two games in any season save his last. We should be so lucky to get half that out of Haynesworth.

Mann didn't have Manley's raw talent, but very very few players did, or do. You do Mann a great disservice by understating his importance to this organization, or his understanding of the importance of teamwork.

I'm looking forward to Haynesworth being the leader on a dominant defensive unit. When that actually happens I'll be thrilled.

Haynesworth is a natural DT. Charles Mann was a DE. Point being you can't compare their importance for the positions they played at or still playing, in Haynesworth's case. I don't think a former player should comment on another players situation. It looks good if everyone is in attendance for a VOLUNTARY workout. Other teams don't have total attendance and things don't get blown out of proportion. Except when it comes to the Snyder circus.

Mann played with passion and dedicated to learning from Dexter. Manley was naturally quick. Remember, Dexter fell out of grace and never looked back. Mann didn't allow that to happen to him. In my opinion, Dexter Manley was a better player.

Dexter was on the same radio station and was asked his opinion of the Albert situation and Manley did not denigrate Haynesworth's decision to work out with his personal trainer. My point here, some people talk too much but that's their prerogative. I like the Dexter approach.

Exactly! 1/2 of these talking heads will have nothing to say and the other half will back-pedal if he comes in here in great shape. The Leauge rules say the sessions are voluntary. Voluntary means just that. Voluntary does not ahve a different meaning if you make $1 per year or $100M dollars per year.

Q:How many OTA's did Mann attend? A:0 because when he playeed training camp was the only thing they had to attend to prepare for the season. I respect Mann for all he did with the B&G but taking the temparrature of anybody that has a pulse and name on this issue is really sad.

Yeah, He may not have had OTA's but when the NFL went on strike that team got together on their on time as a team without being paid and practiced. I gurantee if there had been OTAs Charles Mann would have been at everyone. AH has done **** in this league with the exception of 2 good seasons. I guess you can count being constantly out of shape, stomping on the head Andre Gurode, almost killing people with sports cars. The guy is an *******. Charles Mann has always been the definition of a class act and if someone asks him about the state of the Redskins or a player on the team he has every right to speak his mind.

So, this great teammate who just wanted to workout with his trainer is now skipping mini-camp and requesting a trade. Does anyone else want to challenge those of us who thought a good teammate would have been here all along?
No one here had issue with you saying he should be here. It was the adamant insistence that he should be "required" to be here during voluntary training.

If the media stories being reported are true, eff him. But until tomorrow morning when he misses mandatory training I still have no issue with how he has handled himself. He met with Shanny and told him to his face he was goig to skip any voluntary training.

EDIT: Additionally, with the way you react upon thinking you have been proven right, I hope you are never wrong about anything.

EDIT: Additionally, with the way you react upon thinking you have been proven right, I hope you are never wrong about anything.

That's not cool. I had two or three guys railing on me all day today because I dared to think that a good teammate would be there with the rest of his teammates during the off-season. I'm not typically an I-told-you-so type of person and I think my conduct on ES will speak to that. I just needed to show my face back here in order to see if the people (they know who they are) will bother to come back themselves.

That's not cool. I had two or three guys railing on me all day today because I dared to think that a good teammate would be there with the rest of his teammates during the off-season. I'm not typically an I-told-you-so type of person and I think my conduct on ES will speak to that. I just needed to show my face back here in order to see if the people (they know who they are) will bother to come back themselves.
This was not meant as a "I can't wait to prove you wrong" statement. It came across as you calling out any one who dismissed the drama. My bad if I read too much into it.

This was not meant as a "I can't wait to prove you wrong" statement. It came across as you calling out any one who dismissed the drama. My bad if I read too much into it.

It was a "I feel justified for saying that AH should have been here all along and, because he's not, he's not being a good teammate" statement. Granted, it's immature, but since I've been called a "hater" and been told I am jealous because Haynesworth is rich, I feel like I'm entitled to some immaturity in this thread.

Anyway, no worries.

It was a "I feel justified for saying that AH should have been here all along and, because he's not, he's not being a good teammate" statement. Granted, it's immature, but since I've been called a "hater" and been told I am jealous because Haynesworth is rich, I feel like I'm entitled to some immaturity in this thread.

Anyway, no worries.

I dismissed the media drama. And I am jealous as hell that he got $32M for 12 games. I want to attend a class taught by him about how to retire early without doing ****!

Archived