Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something cool thread

Bang

57785d2070688.image.jpg?resize=300%2C400   Pasadena couple celebrates 75th anniversary

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/pasadena/news/pasadena-couple-celebrates-th-anniversary/article_9fa66662-f955-5c4b-9d26-a86a6c93d7f1.html

Life in post-war America was good and the newlyweds built on that foundation with a family that included three children and eventually seven grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren and one great-great granddaughter.

Mary Acton, 91, remembers those early years as one of beginnings and adjustments, but also of a promise to each other that their union would be all or nothing.

“We made a resolution that if it ever was bad enough to leave, there was no going back,” she said. “So we made a vow that we would stick it out.”

Acton says she has no secrets to a long marriage, or a long, happy life, but believes that love, faith and mutual respect are more than words and ideas.

“You love each other through thick and thin, and put God first in your life and that makes a big difference,” she said. “I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

To her husband, it’s simpler than that. Why bother making a promise you won’t keep?

“I just can’t understand people saying they’re going to do something or make a vow and then break it,” he said. “I just don’t understand that. My words are my bond, absolutely.”

Asked to sum up the last 75 years, James Acton’s response was emphatic.

• Like 1

It's not "cool" in that sense of the word I don't think,but it is frightening and awe inspiring just how fast these fires out here in the West can spread. These are two time lapse videos of the Hot Pot fire that is still somewhat active in North Central Nevada. North of Battle Mountain. Lightning caused this one. Within 45 minutes of its estimated start,(July 2),it had already burned 1000 acres. Just after dawn the next morning,it was up to 56,000 acres and double that by around 11 pm that evening. Came very close to scorching a wide spot in the road called Midas,(second video).  Right now,sitting at over 122,000 acres with 40% containment. 

Can you translate this from nerd for the rest of us?

Looks like someone was establishing contact (a basic ping) with a spacecraft that should be orbiting Jupiter about now. The round-trip time on the packet being sent seems to be around 45 minutes what with it having to go all the way out to Jupiter and back.

edit:

I feel like that can't be round-trip time even though it says it is, because Jupiter is 883.5 E9 meters away from Earth right now, the speed of light is approximately 300 E6 m/s. That gives radio waves a travel time of over 45 minutes one-way.

Edited by PokerPacker

3D Printing of a Living Tissue with Stem Cell Bio-Ink

Scientists at the University of Bristol have developed a new kind of bio-ink. This discovery could allow the production of complex tissues for surgical implants. The new stem cell-containing bio-ink allows 3D printing of a living tissue, also known as bioprinting.

This bio-ink contains two different polymer-based components. One, extracted from seaweed, is a natural polymer. The other, used in the medical industry, is a sacrificial synthetic polymer.  Both of these had a big role to play in the development of the bio-ink. The synthetic polymer alters the bio-ink from a liquid to a solid when its temperature rises. When cell nutrients are added the seaweed polymer provides structural support.

The formulation of bio-ink was prepared for use with a retrofitted benchtop 3D printer, as it converts from a liquid to gel state at exactly 37°C (98.6°F). This allows for a complex assembly of living 3D structures.

The team was able to separate the stem cells into osteoblasts (a cell that secretes the bone material) and chondrocytes (a cell that secretes the matrix of cartilage and becomes nested in it). The whole engineering process of 3D printing tissue structures took five weeks, including a full-size tracheal cartilage ring.

Findings could lead to the ability to print complex tissues using a patient’s own stem cells.  One of the application could be to print surgical bones and cartilage implants, which could one day be used as replacements in knee and hip surgeries.

Click on the link for the full article
  • Like 2

Looks like someone was establishing contact (a basic ping) with a spacecraft that should be orbiting Jupiter about now. The round-trip time on the packet being sent seems to be around 45 minutes what with it having to go all the way out to Jupiter and back.

edit:

I feel like that can't be round-trip time even though it says it is, because Jupiter is 883.5 E9 meters away from Earth right now, the speed of light is approximately 300 E6 m/s. That gives radio waves a travel time of over 45 minutes one-way.

Reminds me of a couple docs I've seen with people experimenting with "spooky action at a distance" quantum mechanics for "on / off" style communications between two points to achieve faster then light communications.

We'll get there, same way I expect space travel to take off way faster then we'll have the resources the justify without someone growing the balls to put a Hilton on the moon. Saw this and had to post (super excited):

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/07/reaction-engines-moves-ahead-with-single-stage-to-orbit-sabre-demo-engine/

SABRE, if you haven't heard of it before, stands for Synergistic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine. Despite the rather buzzwordy name, the engine is fundamentally a hybrid rocket-jet engine: at low altitudes it's a jet engine, at higher altitudes it's a rocket engine.

The engine, in theory, will be able to provide enough thrust to get a spaceplane from sea-level tarmac all the way to low-Earth orbit (i.e. single-stage-to-orbit, SSTO). "Air-breathing" is the key element here; usually, above a certain altitude, the air is too thin (i.e. there's not enough oxygen) for a jet engine to operate. SABRE, however, can apparently reach Mach 5.5 at 28.5km (17.7mi) before it has to switch over to stored liquid oxygen, which then takes the air/spacecraft to orbital velocity (Mach 25-ish).

Reminds me of a couple docs I've seen with people experimenting with "spooky action at a distance" quantum mechanics for "on / off" style communications between two points to achieve faster then light communications.

Ah, yes, quantum entanglement is an interesting topic. They say that it can't be used for communication, but I prefer to append "yet" to that because who knows what someone will come up with? Sure is a complicated topic, but man, if we figure that out, it could be a real game change in space exploration.

We'll get there, same way I expect space travel to take off way faster then we'll have the resources the justify without someone growing the balls to put a Hilton on the moon. Saw this and had to post (super excited):

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/07/reaction-engines-moves-ahead-with-single-stage-to-orbit-sabre-demo-engine/

The idea seems so simple that it leaves me kinda surprised we hadn't already done it. Of course I'm sure implementation is easier said than done. My hype for revolutionizing space-travel, however, lies with the Alcubierre drive.
  • Like 1

This is a VERY cool idea that I really hope catches on around the country:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kansas-city-community-kitchen-restaurant-style-soup-homeless_us_56d87303e4b0000de4039a01

One organization has souped up the traditional soup kitchen.

Kansas City Community Kitchen in Kansas City, Missouri, serves food restaurant-style to homeless people, a process which includes greeters, waiters and a side of respect.

"They're treating me good, like they don't know I'm homeless." YES. #KCCK #NotJustASoupKitchen

“We are trying to flip the photo of what a soup kitchen looks like,” Mandy Caruso-Yahne, director of community engagement at Episcopal Community Services, which runs the kitchen, told Upworthy.

The Kansas City Community Kitchen has been serving the community for 30 years, according to its website, but on Feb. 5, it re-opened with its new restaurant-style initiative that allows the homeless to “dine with dignity.”

Each weekday between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., volunteer wait staff serve high-quality lunches to the homeless, according to a press release. Individuals are greeted at the door by a host who seats them at a table with a menu. A waiter then asks them what they’d like to eat and a freshly made meal is delivered to them.

• Like 1

Now one of 2 flying B-29s in the world:

It wasn’t easy, but B-29 Doc takes to Wichita skies

"Doc", a World War II-era B-29 that was built in Wichita, but was left to rot in the Mojave Desert after being decommissioned in 1956, made a triumphant return to flight on Sunday. The plane, purchased by former B-29 crew member Tony Mazzolini over two decades ago, was brought to Wichita in pieces in 2000. For 16 years, volunteers brought the plane slowly back to life. Hundreds were on hand on the perimeter of McConnell Air Force Base to watch the historic moment where "Doc" made its first flight since 1956.

Click on the link for the full article and video
  • Like 2

FOUND CAT. Cream color. Well cared for. No collar/tags. Doubt it's chipped. Can't keep it because my dog seems afraid of it.

Nice kitty, kitty.  I bet he's good at protecting his humans from those murderous deer:

Too Many Deer on the Road? Let Cougars Return, Study Says

What large mammal regularly kills humans in the Eastern United States?

And what other large mammal might significantly reduce those deaths?

The answer to the first question is the white-tailed deer. Deer do not set out to murder people, as far as anyone knows, but they do jump out in front of vehicles so often that they cause more than a million collisions a year, resulting in more than 200 deaths.

The answer to the second question, according to a new scientific study, is the cougar.

Click on the link for the full article