Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something cool thread

Bang

I had a small accident in the spring, and while i was in the body shop, the skies opened up and a downpour started.. i joked to the counter person that I bet that would be good for business..  she said nothing is better for business than deer.

~Bang

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.sfgate.com/local/science/article/Leaked-space-signal-report-has-SETI-groups-9191121.php

Click for full article

"Leaked' space signal report has SETI groups scrambling"
By JAKE ELLISON, SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF Updated 1:33 pm, Monday, August 29, 2016

Year-old notes that included a potential radio signal produced by aliens were leaked to the media last week, and they are causing scientists within the search for extraterrestrial intelligence or SETI community to race to confirm the signal blip.

So far, the signal has not been confirmed.

Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute in Mountain View,Calif., said his group pointed the Allen Telescope Array (a complex of 42 antennas) at the possible source of the blip Sunday night and found nothing. His group will be listening in again tonight.

Reports of the signal were first published Saturday on the website Centauri Dreams, a site for aficionados of deep space exploration.

"An international team of researchers has announced the detection of 'a strong signal in the direction of HD 164595' in a document now being circulated ... The detection was made with the RATAN-600 radio telescope in Zelenchukskaya, in the Karachay–Cherkess Republic of Russia, not far from the border with Georgia in the Caucasus."

HD 164595 is a star about 95 light years away in the constellation Hercules. It has one known planet called a "warm Neptune."

Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute in Mountain View,Calif., said his group pointed the Allen Telescope Array (a complex of 42 antennas) at the possible source of the blip Sunday night and found nothing. His group will be listening in again tonight.

Cool! I interviewed Seth twice back in the Prism days. Very smart guy, funny too.

• 2 weeks later...

An overlooked corner of West Texas is believed to contain billions of barrels of newly-discovered shale oil.

Apache (APA) revealed the huge find this week after more than two years of stealthily buying up land, extensive geological research and rigorous testing.

The Houston company estimates the discovery, dubbed "Alpine High," could be worth at least $8 billion.

Apache believes the new shale play spans at least five formations, contains over three billion barrels of oil and 75 trillion cubic feet of rich natural gas.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/apache-huge-oil-discovery/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We now have a duck hero:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/airplane-passengers-fall-love-emotional-support-duck-accompanying-192315632--abc-news-topstories.html

Airplane Passengers Fall in Love With Emotional Support Duck Accompanying Owner With PTSD

Meet Daniel Turducken Stinkerbutt, aka Daniel the Duck.

He's an emotional support animal for 37-year-old Carla Fitzgerald, who has been battling post-traumatic stress disorder ever since a bad accident in 2013.

Daniel rose to fame this weekend when he accompanied Fitzgerald on two airplane flights — one from her hometown of Milwaukee to Charlotte, North Carolina, and one from Charlotte to Asheville, North Carolina.

"Everyone just took notice of him and fell in love," she said. "I mean, he's an adorable, funny and sweet little guy. He was very well behaved at the airport and during the flight.

"I think his little red shoes and Captain America diaper were also really well received," Fitzgerald added with a laugh.

<more at link>

• Like 1

I hope they made him take off his shoes going through TSA...

https://www.thedodo.com/rescue-pig-surfing-swimming-hawaii-2053655801.html

Rescued Pig Loves To Surf — And Swims Faster Than Anyone

980x.jpg
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
  •  
  •  

@KAMATHESURFINGPIG

"We took a paddleboard out one day — one of those soft top ones," Holt said. "And Kama hopped on. Everything happened so quick."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, China said:

<pic of free wings>

It would be hilarious if it was just some guy who got 'lucky' and went home with a chick.  Next he comes back for free wings. Would be a win-win.

Edited by btfoom