Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JMU "Springfest" Riot

Dan T.

They should be able to get identies of several of the clowns throwing bottles in that video, arrest and charge them, and if they're students, throw their asses out of school.

This will probably ruin VCU Chill and Grill tailgate. The Chill and Grill ended up getting canceled though due 3 weekends straight of snow last fall. Chill and Grill was always a big event where VCU ropes off its roads and has huge tailgating party since its hard to tailgate in the city every home game. We found it ironic that this was the first Chill and Grill the tailgaters would have to pay vendors for alcohol and Mother Nature doesn't let the thing happen.:ols:

Now alcohol might be banned after this.:(

I go to JMU and was over there for all this, here's my take: Based on what I saw most of the crowd was peaceful and having a good time. At one point someone threw a bottle up at a group of people standing on one of the apartment balconies. That pissed off the people on the balcony and they retaliated with chucking a couple bottles of their own. Then a lot of bottles started pelting that apartment, breaking windows and such I think. That's the incident that made the riot gear necessary I believe. If I were the kids in that apartment I probably would've wanted someone to step in too.

I saw the swat team walking up before they started tear gassing, but I knew what was coming and backed out from the mob and just watched from a distance. Stupidity on both parts as far as I'm concerned. The cops showing up only made it worse. A lot of kids acting like idiots, and some excessive actions by the cops. Could've been handled a lot better.

As far as the rest of the weekend went, great fun.

Black man gotta lot a problems

But they don't mind throwing a brick

White people go to school

Where they teach you how to be thick

An' everybody's doing

Just what they're told to

An' nobody wants

To go to jail!

White riot - I wanna riot

White riot - a riot of my own

White riot - I wanna riot

White riot - a riot of my own

All the power's in the hands

Of people rich enough to buy it

My freshman year in the fall of 00' we had the first riot. It was out of control. I would think that the cops would learn from their mistakes (and for a while they did).

When you decide to break up a party with force after giving the kids 5 hrs to get good and drunk, you tend to see these types of repercussions.

They should have had police presence keeping people off the street from the get go. When I was there they had one simple rule. If you are on the street with a beer, you get a ticket or go to jail. If you piss in plain sight. You get a ticket.

It's simple. Control the scene from the get go and you dont have this problem.

Was really close to going to this.. but last minute decided to head to go to vcu to visit the gf.

Glad i skipped out on this.. there is no excuse for what went down on behalf of the minority of the folks who started the 'riot'. & i understand the cops had to keep the situation under control.. but there has to have been a better way to keep control without causing havoc

Ah, one of the rites of spring, getting drunk and rioting.

Sounds like they're aspiring to be like other schools.

Unfortunately, one of those is mine, and they've been rioting at Cedarfest at MSU since I was there in the '80s. Not one of the traditions at my school I'm proud of.

Hopefully JMU students will wise up and/or authorities will crack down on this.

Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son.

What a blast !!

Beer bottles thrown at me, tear gas sprayed at me, deafening noise, half-naked smelly college dudes puking around me, tripping on me, dodging their puddles of piss, trash everywhere, my car has scratches and dents on it......so tell me, where do I sign up for this ?? :laugh:

:ols::ols::ols::ols:

Dumb asses.

Whoever said a lot of the main culprits probably weren't even JMU students was probably right. Back when I was a student you could almost guarantee that any problems at parties were caused by friends from out of town or just random people who knew about the "open" JMU parties and came into town to take advantage of them.

Sucks that it made headlines like this.

I didn't even bother going to this.

Spring-Fest used to be about hanging out with your friends, enjoying the nice weather, and listening to music. It has gotten way out of hand, and is a joke now.

too many visiting dbags if you ask me

hopefully it will be much smaller, and much more of a local event from now on

Dumb asses.

Whoever said a lot of the main culprits probably weren't even JMU students. Back when I was a student you could almost guarantee that any problems at parties were caused by friends from out of town or just random people who knew about the "open" JMU parties and came into town to take advantage of them.

Sucks that it made headlines like this.

truth, and it's not because we are inherently better, or worse, but because when people visit other schools they just decide to stop giving a **** about all social norms and just go over the line in every way possible.

too many visiting dbags if you ask me

hopefully it will be much smaller, and much more of a local event from now on

truth, and it's not because we are inherently better, or worse, but because when people visit other schools they just decide to stop giving a **** about all social norms and just go over the line in every way possible.

Well said...but we all know that JMU students (and ex-JMU students) ARE inherently better.

I go here and I had to work the entire weekend, not one beer, and a month's worth of buisness in one day. Subway and Pancheros close down right next to us so everybody was in Salad Creations, It was crazy. I worked a 17 hour shift that day, and heard so many stories.

The one thing that bothers me the most is when talking to a cop at work, he said he was embarrased for everybody at jmu, and espically his fellow police officers in the area because we all were in the wrong, as well. Thier is block party every year and nothing like this happens, it is always this big, if not bigger, it just when the cops came with thier new riot gear for the first time they got they wanted and people reacted badly.

Intetesting stat out of 80 some college kids arrested this weekend, less than 10 went to JMU. People just do not know how to react when they away from home.

I will never understand the thought process behind picking up bottles and throwing them at police officers like those kids were doing. This "**** the police man!" attitude.

Can somebody explain that to me?

And then, if one of those same kids had got beaten up in a fight during the party, or their car broken into or something, they'd be calling the police, demanding quick action.

Quadfest might be the largest gathering of degenerates outside of Foxfield :pfft:

Quadfest used to be a Radford sponsored event until idiots like the ones at JMU decided to set a car on fire my freshman year. The students still recognize a Saturday every April as Quadfest, but it's a lot more of just random parties now... of course I haven't been to one in like 4 years.

Can anyone really say the police were out to get students? They were throwing beer BOTTLES at PEOPLE and lighting things on fire! How many car and apartment windows were destroyed that day? Mob mentality is crazy.

I've had my share of crazy times at college and it would be nuts to actually see something like that happening, but I totally understand the police response.

Archived