Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Preacher is fined for homophobia

Zguy28

Preacher is fined for homophobia

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland/Preacher-is-fined-for-homophobia.6186156.jp

Published Date: 28 March 2010

By Alastair Dalton

A STREET preacher has prompted concerns over religious freedom in Scotland after being fined £1,000 for telling passers-by in Glasgow city centre that homosexuals deserved the "wrath of God" and would go to hell.

Shawn Holes admitted breaching the peace earlier this month by "uttering homophobic remarks" that were "aggravated by religious prejudice".

The American Baptist, who was touring Britain with colleagues, was arrested by police while responding to questions from people in Sauchiehall Street on 18 March.

Holes, 47, from New York State, when asked his views on gay people, said: "Homosexuals are deserving of the wrath of God – and so are all other sinners – and they are going to a place called hell."

He said later: "There were homosexuals listening – around six or eight of them – who were kissing each other and cuddling, and asking 'What do you think of this?'

"It felt like a set-up by gay campaigners. When asked directly about homosexuality, I told them homosexuals risked the wrath of God unless they accepted Christ."

Full Article at link

Or hand them the bible and say "here, read it out loud to the crowd".

Yes.

Although, as a technical point, I don't see how this is really hate speech... he didn't say people should ridicule/disrespect/physically harm gays or anything like that. All he said was it's his opinion that homosexuals are going to hell, along with all other sinners (meaning everyone else in the world), unless they accept Christ.

So, it's basically wrong to say gays are like everyone else?

Weird law.

England is not America....
Nobody claimed it was. :whoknows:
with that said preachers should be mindful of the laws when they preach, and if they decide to go against those laws then they should be willing to accept the consequences. Personally, preach about Jesus Christ lift Him up and you can't go wrong.
What did Jesus do, who did he do it for, and why?

England is not America....with that said preachers should be mindful of the laws when they preach, and if they decide to go against those laws then they should be willing to accept the consequences. Personally, preach about Jesus Christ lift Him up and you can't go wrong.

I would agree with that as per Rom. 13, however when the government makes reading/quoting the Bible illeagal then we have problems.

I'm thinking he probably would have won in court if he had the time to stay and fight.....

Seems the law is unclear

more from article:

Gordon Macdonald, of Christian Action Research and Education for Scotland, said: "This is a concerning case. I will be writing to Chief Constable Stephen House of Strathclyde Police for clarification of the guidance given to police officers in these situations."

The Roman Catholic Church, which backed stiffer "hate crime" penalties, said the fine seemed to criminalise anyone who repeated a widely held conviction.

Peter Kearney, its spokesman, said: "We supported this legislation but it is very difficult to see how this man can be charged for expressing a religious conviction.

"The facts of this case show his statement was clearly his religious belief.

"Yes, it is strong language he has used, but it is obviously a religious conviction and not a form of discrimination."

By pleading guilty he's really screwed the locals who want to preach on the street.

Essentially he has admitted that his views on homosexuality are "homophobic" and "aggravated by religious prejudice".

But street preachers are not uncommon in Northern Ireland and Scotland. He must have had a particularly aggressive tone to result in police arrest.

At the race in Pocono last year, I was berated by a street preacher who lambasted me for "worshipping NASCAR." :ols:

True story.

Same thing happened to me at last year's Super Bowl.

Some loony was riding around on a bicycle with a megaphone screaming out how we were all going to a devil-worshipping game

Archived