Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Movie for 2009?

nonniey

I don't watch the Academy Awards but notice all the headlines saying it was a competition between Avatar and the Hurt Locker. I hope they're wrong. Of the nominees I've only seen those two plus District 9 and the latter was definately better than the favorites. Avatar was too predictable with a cookie cutter story, while the Hurt Locker was weak on getting the small easy details correct (Great movies generally do put effort in getting the small background stuff right e.g. the correct uniforms for instance - example in 2004 the Army wore DCUs not ACUs). I'm not saying District 9 should win (I do think it is worthy), I am say the other two should definately not win.

Don't get me wrong I liked all three I just don't think Avatar and Hurt Locker are worthy. I forgot about Basterds - Mixed feelings on if it should win (I hated it until the end and then got a surprised). I still would rank District 9 the best of those four with Basterds a close second. (note I agree on Waltz). There may be a more worthy candidate (heard good things about Precious).

I don't watch the Academy Awards but notice all the headlines saying it was a competition between Avatar and the Hurt Locker. I hope they're wrong. Of the nominees I've only seen those two plus District 9 and the latter was definately better than the favorites. Avatar was too predictable with a cookie cutter story, while the Hurt Locker was weak on getting the small easy details correct (Great movies generally do put effort in getting the small background stuff right e.g. the correct uniforms for instance - example in 2004 the Army wore DCUs not ACUs). I'm not saying District 9 should win (I do think it is worthy), I am say the other two should definately not win.

FWIW, they didn't get the uniforms wrong because they overlooked the small easy details, they got them wrong because they made a conscious decision to do so (artistic license) so that the uniforms would match what people see on tv now, since the movie is about current events.

But even if they did get it wrong, who cares? It's not a documentary. The goal is to create dramatic effect and interesting characters. Seems awfully nitpicky

FWIW, they didn't get the uniforms wrong because they overlooked the small easy details, they got them wrong because they made a conscious decision to do so (artistic license) so that the uniforms would match what people see on tv now, since the movie is about current events.

But even if they did get it wrong, who cares? It's not a documentary. The goal is to create dramatic effect and interesting characters. Seems awfully nitpicky

My point is that great movies get the easy nitpicky details right (I'll give them a pass on the harder nitpicky stuff). It was an average to good movie but that was an easy fix and easy thing to know. There was other stuff that bothered me but figured artistic decisions caused that (EG running round in a single vehicle, Green Zone with hostile areas, etc). Again, liked the movie but it is just not Oscar worthy.

I think the reason they got the uniforms "wrong" is that the military did not endorse the movie. You are not allowed you have to make the uniform "wrong" if you intend to show a military picture with out military endorsement. Its against the law to accurately depict the uniform. So it was a legal issue, not a overlooked detail.

What was the Redskins reference in Hurt Locker again? I think I remember it, but it's blurry.

I've only seen Hurt Locker, District 9 and Up. I liked both. I never seen a movie as riveting as Hurt Locker—great tension in that movie. District 9 I enjoyed it, but it didn't blow me away. I thought UP was great. I hope it wins.

Hurt Locker or Up.

I'd also be fine with Inglorious Basterds winning it.

All three of those movies just pummel Slumdog Millionaire (although 2008 was kind of a weak year overall for movies). Slumdog Millionaire and Crash are two of the worst "Best Picture" winners of the past decade.

Of the movies I've seen:

1. District 9

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Moon

4. Zombieland

5. Where The Wild Things Are

In regards to Moon, I'm really becoming a fan of Sam Rockwell's acting ability. Between Moon and The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, I've been blown away. He's a joy to watch and fun.

Of the movies I've seen:

1. District 9

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Moon

4. Zombieland

5. Where The Wild Things Are

In regards to Moon, I'm really becoming a fan of Sam Rockwell's acting ability. Between Moon and The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, I've been blown away. He's a joy to watch and fun.

I watched Moon when i was...not in a normal state of mind if you know what im saying.

Absolutely incredible, though I also watched The Goods right after and thought it was one of the best movies i'd ever seen as well haha.

(a few minor spoilers)

I thought The Hurt Locker sucked. I was very disappointed. Combat scenes were boring and unrealistic, and the whole movie was basically them going to diffuse a bomb, then repeating it, then repeating it again. Just when you think the plot is going to develop a little, it doesn't. Then the movie mercifully ends, without much significance. The whole thing was about how he was so used to his job he wasn't happy with anything else? Really? Two effing hours and that's the best you could come up with? LAME.

Of the ones I've seen, I liked Inglourious Basterds best.

I personally think it's a weak Oscar class this year. Avatar was great to look at but it was basically Ferngully or Pocahontas. I honestly tried The Hurt Locker twice and fell asleep both times. District 9 was very good, Moon was very good.

For my money the best picture was Inglourious Basterds. However, if Basterds was up against Oscar winners of the past I would not have voted for it. Tarantino was so close to making something legendary but he can't resist throwing in his little quirky aspects from short-lived genres that might be cute but are unnecessary.

My point is that great movies get the easy nitpicky details right (I'll give them a pass on the harder nitpicky stuff). It was an average to good movie but that was an easy fix and easy thing to know. There was other stuff that bothered me but figured artistic decisions caused that (EG running round in a single vehicle, Green Zone with hostile areas, etc). Again, liked the movie but it is just not Oscar worthy.

Again, I think they intentionally got that detail wrong, so that people in the audience would connect it with what they see in the media now. But realism and nitpicky details are only important if the director wants them to be important. It was very important for Saving Private Ryan. It wasn't the slightest bit important for Apocalypse Now. Both great movies.

I liked The Hurt Locker, but I don't know about best picture. Basterds is finally coming up on Netflix. Definitely looking forward to it. I really enjoyed Up and District 9 and heard great things about Up in the Air, but it's hard to see any of those winning. And while Avatar was definitely stunning, it doesn't deserve Best Picture anymore than Titanic did. I think the academy has buyer's remorse on that one, I'll be very surprised if Avatar wins Best Picture.

Archived