Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KTLA:Fraternity Mocks Black History Month With "Compton Cookout"

Zguy28

Didn't actually go to the article, but where does it say they were having the party to specifically mock Black History Month? Sounds like they just thought of another way to get girls to dress in almost nothing. Nothing in bad taste :ols:

But hell, I went to a small ass D-3 college and we had a Pimps n hoes party at least once a month. I can't imagine what the big schools are coming up with.

Didn't actually go to the article, but where does it say they were having the party to specifically mock Black History Month? Sounds like they just thought of another way to get girls to dress in almost nothing. Nothing in bad taste :ols:

You should probably read the article. It has NOTHING to do with dressing slutty.

Didn't actually go to the article, but where does it say they were having the party to specifically mock Black History Month?

This is the first paragraph of their invitation:

"February marks a very important month in American society. No, i'm not referring to Valentines day or Presidents day. I'm talking about Black History month. As a time to celebrate and in hopes of showing respect, the Regents community cordially invites you to its very first Compton Cookout.

whats the big deal.. in college they throw politically incorrectly themed parties all the time..

"pimps and hos" for one is an example...

My Frat had "Golf Pro's and Tennis Ho's"

That was always a blast. We also would have around the world where every room was a different country. The mexican room had tequila. The Russian room was full of Vodka. My room was the south pole so I had rumpleminz.

As far as the story goes, I think it kinda crossed the line, but I still laughed.

We dont say nigg-ER, we say nigg-A. HUGE difference. We use it as a term of endearment. It's like when we added the A at the end, it took the power out of word nigg-ER. My best friend mother says that it doesnt matter. Even if the word is altered, the origin of the word is still the same. Hate.

But like the great George Carlin said, words dont hurt you, "it's the intent behind them when they are used". When we hear that word used in a certain way by someone of the opposite race, we KNOW that they know the history behind the word, we KNOW that they are trying to cut deep. It's a word, that when said to the wrong person at the right time, can for a split second give you flashes of burning crosses, hangings, and all of the other horrible images you think of when you think of the black experience back in the day. Its weird, because even though I wasnt alive during those times, I can still feel it slightly whenever a see or experience a racial situation. Like a ghost enters my body.

I had it said to me one time in my life. I was coming out of a strip club in West Virginia, and this drunk dude shouted it out at me for no reason. On my soul, I broke a bottle over his head and beat the crap out of him. The way he said it to me, it came off his tongue so naturally, I just blacked the hell out.

No, there is not a big difference in the word, its a difference in who is saying it. Do you really think its a different word? Its the same word translated into ebonics (aka lazy english). How many words get the consonants cut off at the end and just end in vowels in inner city language? Does it change the word? Or is this word special?

Also, the word is only what you allow it to be. So, since there is history behind the word that you and most people you know had nothing to do with, its more meaningful? If you have flashbacks to things that never happened to you, you are allowing culture to drive your feelings and not experience. Do you know variations of the word are used in other cultures all around the world to refer to black people and no one things twice about it? Its a word. Now, if someone is and *******, they are an ******* regardless of what words they use. Is someone who comes up to you saying they are going to kick your ass you n bomb worse than someone who comes up to you and says they are going to kick your ass you mother bleeper? If so, why should they be?

And I will admit, I have used the word in a hateful way one time. I had some one run down a set of stairs and punch me square in the mouth. I didnt expect it and it was over a misunderstanding I found out after the fact. I dropped the n bomb as soon as I hit the floor. But I could have called him any other name in the book and it wouldnt have changed how I felt or how angry I was at the moment. Fortunately, after the misunderstanding got sorted out, we were both friends and apologized to each other. I got in more trouble from the school than he did because of what I said. The guy punched me in the mouth and I called him a name and I got in more trouble! Seriously?!?! I have been called a hick or redneck by people who have been ticked at me (I have a little bit of a southern draw so people automatically assume that about regardless of anything else). I dont make a big deal out of that cuz yea they were trying to be hateful and angry or whatever but they are trying to do the same thing when they call me an *******. Its not any different to me. Its not like I was mad before but now Im REALLY mad because you called me a hick! No, Im just as ticked as I was before.

From growing up in DC and attending those public schools (and this can probably be said in most inner city schools nationally), I can tell you, the biggest problem with a lot of inner city schools is that, a lot of kids are scared to show their intelligence, not because they are going to be considered acting white, but because they are scared that their intelligence is going to be perceived as a weakness. They fear they are going to get tested more by the tougher kids if they keep their heads in the books. Not every single school is like that, but it is definitely a HUGE problem in the black community. Im sure that happens at a lot of white schools to. Bullies always testing the nerds.

When I moved to VA, that type of pressure wasnt in the atmosphere as much. You could actually try to focus on getting your work done and not be considered soft.

But the way Ive always been, I never was afraid to fight anyway. So I never was afraid of people trying to bully me, just because I raised my hand in class if I knew answers. But yeah, black students in the inner city arent afraid of being accused of being white if they're smart. They just dont want to come off as being corny.

Interesting, though I can't agree completely with your last paragraph. That WaPo article definitly had interviews of inner city high school students, and the "acting white" accusation was definitely brought up, nothing was mentioned about being corny. I'm not sure how answering questions/getting good grades = corny anyway.

Now I understand the bullying the nerds thing, I grew up in suburban virginia and I saw plenty of that in my high school as well, but I never saw it as being because they were answering questions and getting good grades. I saw it as more of an appearance thing...whether they were skinny, frail, looked like an easy mark, etc. We had plenty of jocks who got good grades and weren't bothered.

That I can understand, the human nature of strong over the weak. That happens everywhere regardless of race. What I'm wondering is where the accusation that you were "trying to act white" ever came from just because you wanted to study. It makes no sense to me, but I didn't grow up in that environment.

By the way, here are some links to stub articles from the WaPo archives. None of them are the story I remember, but it's what I'm talking about.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost/access/74684549.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=May+19%2C+1991&author=Nwamaegwu+Jeremi+Duru&desc=You%27re+Just+Trying+To+Act+White%27

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost/access/849401841.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Jun+5%2C+2005&author=&desc=The+Price+of+Acting+White

Dumbest perpetually-regurgitated line in the history of perpetually-regurgitated lines.
I always thought that the better argument should be that President's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving, and even Valentine's Day and Halloween (and arguably Christmas and Easter) are all celebrations of European-American history. And many of those are actual Federal holidays rather than a symbolic month.

We celebrate plenty of white Americans every year like Washington and Jefferson, Columbus and Pilgrims, leprechauns, witches, cupid, Santa Claus and the Cadbury bunny. So it's not every month, but it's several days in many different months.

I always thought that the better argument should be that President's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving, and even Valentine's Day and Halloween (and arguably Christmas and Easter) are all celebrations of European-American history. And many of those are actual Federal holidays rather than a symbolic month.

St. Patrick, Columbus, and St. Valentine were invididuals. President's Day no longer counts. :D

We celebrate plenty of white Americans every year like Washington and Jefferson, Columbus and Pilgrims, leprechauns, witches, cupid, Santa Claus and the Cadbury bunny. So it's not every month, but it's several days in many different months.

So why don't we continue to have MLK Day, add a Rosa Parks Day, an Obama Day, and a few others and call it even?

Or have all the other kids in my daughter's class have to right a paper about a great white American, and read it in front of the class.

Seriously, white kids today, and whites in general are taught to be ashamed of history. And it is, as you well know I believe, bull****. :)

Dumbest perpetually-regurgitated line in the history of perpetually-regurgitated lines.

Then you're not even remotely close to living in reality.

I guarantee you that you have zero knowledge of the intent and reasons behind having a Black History Month to begin with, if you feel that way. For decades, if not centuries, the government-sponsored and government-funded education system extolled the history, stories and virtues of white Americans and their place in the development of the U.S....blacks, by and large, were ignored or outright omitted from those same educational lessons. We essentially had no valuable place in the founding, development and history of America as a country. Black History Month was essentially a way of acknowledging that serious omission from what was being taught in public schools and a way of truly making sure the contributions of black Americans throughout history were no longer overlooked. It is far more symbolic today than a necessity...but it still holds a valuable purpose.

When someone says "every month is white history month", they simply say that at no time in U.S. history have the contributions of white Americans been overlooked, ignored or marginalized. So there is no equivalent need for a month bringing attention to their place in U.S. history. Every month taught, extolled and championed the very real contributions of white Americans to this country.

And please, tell me everyone here is knowledgeable enough to understand that reality.

As for the party, it was indeed in incredibly bad taste..."Let's celebrate Black History Month by perpetuating every stereotype about Blacks that they find offensive! Yeah, that'll be fun! And because we're mere college students nobody will care!! Excellent!"...Did they view it that way at the time? No. But they should have.

Then you're not even remotely close to living in reality.

I guarantee you that you have zero knowledge of the intent and reasons behind having a Black History Month to begin with, if you feel that way. For decades, if not centuries, the government-sponsored and government-funded education system extolled the history, stories and virtues of white Americans and their place in the development of the U.S....blacks, by and large, were ignored or outright omitted from those same educational lessons.

History. Not present. And despite the condescension I receive constantly for having an unpolular opinion on this topic, I DO understand the HISTORY behind having a black history month. I actually would have supported it fully back then. Believe it or not, everyone who disagrees with you isn't stupid, or halucinating. And it's your condescension that prevents dialogue; not my difference of opinion.

We essentially had no valuable place in the founding, development and history of America as a country. Black History Month was essentially a way of acknowledging that serious omission from what was being taught in public schools and a way of truly making sure the contributions of black Americans throughout history were no longer overlooked. It is far more symbolic today than a necessity...but it still holds a valuable purpose.

Like I said, at the time I would've supported it. Now, I don't see any reason to celebrate someone based on skin color. If we're going to do that, we should do it for kids of all races. If we're going to right papers in public schools on important black Americans, then we should do the same for important white, hispanic, Indian, on down the line....Americans.

Obviously, that's not practical, so I'd do away with it all together. I don't see any reason why my girls should be taught that someone else deserves special recognition because of skin color. And as far as the "every month is white history month" crap; we celebrate the accomplishments of Americans who happen to be white throughout the year. We don't celebrate them BECAUSE they are white.

When someone says "every month is white history month", they simply say that at no time in U.S. history have the contributions of white Americans been overlooked, ignored or marginalized. So there is no equivalent need for a month bringing attention to their place in U.S. history. Every month taught, extolled and championed the very real contributions of white Americans to this country.

See above.

And please, tell me everyone here is knowledgeable enough to understand that reality.

As for the party, it was indeed in incredibly bad taste..."Let's celebrate Black History Month by perpetuating every stereotype about Blacks that they find offensive! Yeah, that'll be fun! And because we're mere college students nobody will care!! Excellent!"...Did they view it that way at the time? No. But they should have.

As I've said before, it's about skin thickness, not skin color. It's perfectly fine to mock, joke about and insult some races, but not others. It's all OK, or none of it is. (If you want to be consistent in your argument.)

Seriously, white kids today, and whites in general are taught to be ashamed of history.

I think there is some truth to this- and hog knows how I feel about the persecuted white man- we've been at it before :)

It is easy, for instance, for folks to look back 200 years and just be outraged at the "travesty" inflicted upon the American Indian. From their position on the couch shoving doritos in their mouths it seems like a terrible injustice. And in many respects it was.

Make college dorm posters with famous Indian speeches about who owns the rivers and streams and you have full-fledged white guilt.

People forget- or never care to know- the absolute savagery of so many of the native people. Do a little research on the Aztecs... you'll find yourself motivated to write an open letter to the people of Spain thanking them for ridding the world of those barbarians. Or- do a little research on Lewis and Clark and some of the Indians (untouched by white men) they ran into. This idea that all of the Indians were sitting around a fire smoking herbs and singing kumbaya until the evil white man showed up makes me want to puke. If the Native Americans had the means- they would have wiped the white man off the map. Make no doubt in your mind about it.

The strongest throughout history survive. That's nothing to be ashamed of, by and large.

/rant

Oh- and I think Black History month is a very important thing for Americans. Califan says it very well. They have helped this country immensely- and have received little to nothing in return.

St. Patrick, Columbus, and St. Valentine were invididuals. President's Day no longer counts. :D
St. Patrick's Day and Columbus Day in particular are probably the best analogues to Black History Month, since Irish-Americans and Italian-Americans actually use the days to hold parades celebrating their heritage. They don't really celebrate the individuals but their culture.
So why don't we continue to have MLK Day, add a Rosa Parks Day, an Obama Day, and a few others and call it even?
I am sure that the NAACP would actually prefer real federal holidays to the ad hoc month that requires a proclamation every year.
Or have all the other kids in my daughter's class have to right a paper about a great white American, and read it in front of the class.
I'm sure they write more than one paper every year about a great white American ... hopefully February isn't the only month when they are required to write papers.
Seriously, white kids today, and whites in general are taught to be ashamed of history. And it is, as you well know I believe, bull****. :)
I don't really see that at all. As a non-white, non-black student who made it through elementary school with many Black History Months, I don't remember learning to blame whites for history at all ... Everybody loved Columbus and the Pilgrims, Paul Revere and Benjamin Franklin, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln ... Edison and Einstein. I remember a lot more about those guys than anything I learned during Black History Month ... I think there was something with George Washington Carver and peanuts.

I think you are overestimating the effect of one month on the psyche of your children.

I think there is some truth to this- and hog knows how I feel about the persecuted white man- we've been at it before :)

And I respect the discussions I've had with people like you, and Tj, Predicto, and others who formulate logical arguments; as opposed to just saying, "Hog, you dumb, fantasizing racist."

I know my opinions aren't popular. And contrary to popular belief, I even understand why. The thing is, I just want to get to a point where we have true equality; in everything, in every way, for everyone. Now, is that a fantasy? Sure. But I think it's one most of us share.

It is easy, for instance, for folks to look back 200 years and just be outraged at the "travesty" inflicted upon the American Indian. From their position on the couch shoving doritos in their mouths it seems like a terrible injustice. And in many respects it was.

Make college dorm posters with famous Indian speeches about who owns the rivers and streams and you have full-fledged white guilt.

People forget- or never care to know- the absolute savagery of so many of the native people. Do a little research on the Aztecs... you'll find yourself motivated to write an open letter to the people of Spain thanking them for ridding the world of those barbarians. Or- do a little research on Lewis and Clark and some of the Indians (untouched by white men) they ran into. This idea that all of the Indians were sitting around a fire smoking herbs and singing kumbaya until the evil white man showed up makes me want to puke. If the Native Americans had the means- they would have wiped the white man off the map. Make no doubt in your mind about it.

The strongest throughout history survive. That's nothing to be ashamed of, by and large.

I couldn't have dreamt of saying that any better.

Oh- and I think Black History month is a very important thing for Americans. Califan says it very well. They have helped this country immensely- and have received little to nothing in return.

Is that still true? I'm asking. I'm not saying it's not. But I honestly can't think of any opportunity available to whites these days that is not available to blacks.

Is it true that the slaves on whose backs this country was largely built got nothing in return? Of course it is. And that is shameful beyond words. But I feel like today we're much closer to Dr. King's dream than we are to the alternative. And even cracka-ass hog is smart enough to know that is a great, great thing. :)

serious question DJ- do you think there should be an Asian history month? One could make the case imo

(maybe there already is :ols: )

May is Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month (it's heritage and not history, because there just isn't very much Asian-American History but plenty back in the old country). APA Heritage Month didn't start until 1992, so I didn't get the elementary school treatment on that one.

I actually think all these months are pretty harmless ... and there are now so many of them that people don't even really notice anymore. (Did you know that November is Native American Heritage Month?)

If white people cared enough, there could be more recognition for Irish-American Heritage Month (March), and Italian-American Heritage Month (October), German-American Heritage Month (September), etc. but the only month that really seems to have any real fanfare (or criticism) is Black History Month.

Archived