Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KTLA:Fraternity Mocks Black History Month With "Compton Cookout"

Zguy28

the big deal is that they are associating that stereotype with the HISTORY of black people. Have a Irish HISTORY (not St. Patricks day) party with nothing but none Irish people talking with Irish accents, with there hair painted red, doing nothing but getting plastard, and see if people are going to be pissed off. NO race wants to have their entire HISTORY associated with stupid azz stereotypes.

And I would tell the Irish people the chill out as well. Its not a big deal. Why the heck do people get so offended over stupid crap like this? Does it define you as a person? Do you fit any negative stereotypes? If not, then why the heck do you care? We need to go back to the sticks and stones motto. Someone calls me a dumb inbred redneck or has a party themed around that, do I get upset because I came from the country and my family grew up on a tobacco farm? No because its dumb to get upset! I laugh at the jokes that are funny and dont worry about the rest.

Let a bunch of none whites have a White HISTORY month party with all the negative white stereotypes. Everyone poppin pills, doing meth, coke, crack, oxycontin, wearing fake blood acting like they just committed suicide, eating mayonaise sandwiches, 16 year olds dressed like they are pregnant holding hands with "black gangsta guys", wearing trench coats with guns, everybody hair smelling like wet dog, nobody being able to dance to save their life, and so on. That ---- wouldnt so funny.

All of these cool guys in this thread talking all of this "black people need to stop playing the raise card" crap would be outraged. And next time they have one of these black history parties, they should make sure they have the token white girls there who worship us and all of the white guys who try their best to be us and copy every got dam thing we do, because they are lame as hell.

I would go to a party like that and think it was funny as heck! We all need to learn to laugh at ourselves. People are always going to hate. The only time hate becomes powerful is when it gets a reaction. Let people hate if they want. Know who you are as a person and dont let anyones opinion change that. If someone wants to try to judge you based on a stereotype, they are not someone you want to be friends with anyway.

And I would tell the Irish people the chill out as well. Its not a big deal. Why the heck do people get so offended over stupid crap like this? Does it define you as a person? Do you fit any negative stereotypes? If not, then why the heck do you care? We need to go back to the sticks and stones motto. Someone calls me a dumb inbred redneck or has a party themed around that, do I get upset because I came from the country and my family grew up on a tobacco farm? No because its dumb to get upset! I laugh at the jokes that are funny and dont worry about the rest.

When I'm in Ireland I like to get my friends there going on their American stereotypes - it's hilarious. Some of their perceptions of us are hysterical, and some of their questions ("do you have KFC in the US?") are great too. But the best is getting them to do the accents. A few of them are dead on, but most are like the guy in your office who does an Indian accent, a Jamaican accent and a British accent that all sound the same (like no accent you've ever heard). Classic.

When I'm in Ireland I like to get my friends there going on their American stereotypes - it's hilarious. Some of their perceptions of us are hysterical, and some of their questions ("do you have KFC in the US?") are great too. But the best is getting them to do the accents. A few of them are dead on, but most are like the guy in your office who does an Indian accent, a Jamaican accent and a British accent that all sound the same (like no accent you've ever heard). Classic.

I love when people crack jokes on white people or Americans or anything. As long as its in jest, who cares? Jokes are supposed to be funny. Its not like someone is trying to hurt me because they have some stereotype in their head of what type of person I am since I am a white American. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I was a minority but I just dont think I would. I know plenty of minorities that feel the same way and we joke back and forth about it all the time. Im going to play poker with my friend who likes to call me honky all the time. I find it hilarious.

I actually dont think they did it to celebrate or mock. I think they thought it would be a fun idea for a party and because it was black history month, they went with a black themed party.

And there lies the problem. The "black" theme to these idiotic students was one of derogatory terms, lesser mental capabilities, and horrid character traits. Just read the invitation again from the link. This definitely isn't just a "fun" idea. It was worse.

Hate does become powerful when it gets a reaction, but only when it gets a negative reaction. All posts in this thread from those opposed to the party aren't threatening these student (negative reaction) but we're actually frustrated that this mindset still exists. Unfortunately events like this often lead to hate crimes or just violence in general from all those involved (party throwers and those offended) Why not just avoid it? This party was more than a joke. Wish people would realize that. They put time, effort, emotion, and money into this event that highlighted EVERY negative stereotype of African-Americans and named it after a month-long holiday that is suppose to acknowledge the great contributions AA's have given to America over the centuries. So while I am not hurt or scarred by their actions, I do worry about these students and would have no poblem with someone sitting down with them and explaining how crass and crude their party was. An effort to rid them of their beliefs and ignorance would do them well. I think it is fair to say that everyone in this thread would HATE for these college students to enter the real world and live the rest of their lives with these stereotypes in mind. It would only bring them shame and hatred toward them. *

I love when people crack jokes on white people or Americans or anything. As long as its in jest, who cares?

Yeah, but that's the problem, all jokes are not in jest. Read the post in this thread where it instructs the females how to act and dress on the invitation to this party. That ---- read like a dam hate letter. I LOVE comedy. I watch all kinds of stand up and comedy movies from all types of races. You can make black jokes all day, and I will laugh my ass off. I will roll on the ground with tears coming out of my eyes. But when it comes off as blatant disrespect, aiming to hurt, and not even funny, I cant laugh it off and chalk it up as being just comedy.

I think it's hysterical and so do the black friends I've sent it to. People need to stop throwing the race card at everything they can. Are they having mock hangings? Are they inviting black kids to come so they can sell them? I think that would constitute racism....

Are you kidding me, how could you not throw the race card, that's what this is about? I'm sure your "black" friends are just as immature and ignorant as you. If you don't have a problem with it, you don't have a problem with it. But for you to get your panties in a bunch and be outraged that they're are actually people out there who do have a big problem with it, is pretty unbelievable.

Ok, I'll get into this, why do white people especially when they are younger get into the whole black culture?? I went to a catholic high school and the majority of them acted black. I still remember a guy wearing timberland boots, baggy pants and a 2 Pac shirt. Plus he wore this plastic chain with a tank as the emblem.

Can you please explain to be how you "act black"? Please enlighten me on how black people act.

Can you please explain to be how you "act black"? Please enlighten me on how black people act.

Why don't you ask a black guy....

All of these cool guys in this thread talking all of this "black people need to stop playing the raise card" crap would be outraged. And next time they have one of these black history parties, they should make sure they have the token white girls there who worship us and all of the white guys who try their best to be us and copy every got dam thing we do, because they are lame as hell.

:paranoid:

Hip Hop actually is a culture of ignorance. Its a culture that promotes lazy ignorant english. It promotes selling drugs and keeping hoes in line. It promotes baggy clothes falling off you with big flashy jewelry not how to look respectable in the real world. It doesnt promote growing up to be all the can be and to get an education and a good job. It promotes ignorance. Not every part of hip hop culture does but in general it does.

WOW, speaking of ingnorance! A topic like this really helps you to understand what kind of person some people truly are and how they truly feel.

Why don't you ask a black guy....

I'm sure you would use that statement about someone "acting black" and I'd love to hear what that means from your point of view, no matter how ignorant and narrow minded I know it is. I'm sure you're the same guy who's mister friendly and all chummy with black people and make racists comments about them when you're not around them. They're A LOT of you around. May you grow up one day.

I'm sure you would use that statement about someone "acting black" and I'd love to hear what that means from your point of view, no matter how ignorant and narrow minded I know it is. I'm sure you're the same guy who's mister friendly and all chummy with black people and make racists comments about them when you're not around them. They're A LOT of you around. May you grow up one day.

Well, I'm glad that your so open-minded and don't jump to conclusions at all. I offered NO stance on this topic at all. Just pointed out that another black guy already used just about the same language to say 'how black people act' - and also stereotyped white people in the same breath.

By the way - I don't blame you for being pissed about the party. It was obviously a mockery and racist. Hell, they even called it a monstrosity. But you can **** off very kindly for even hinting that I'm a racist with absoultely less than zero evidence to make such a claim.

1). I think you misread what he was saying.

2) Be very careful with what you're implying there. Matter of fact,I'd recommend you don't.

This is one of my pet peeves, and one of the reasons I take offense to the invitation. I don't care if they talk about the food, or anything like that, anyone who knows me knows I'm not one to overreact to issues regarding race. But the precedent that the invitation sets is that in order to act black you've got to act ignorant, dumb, rude, obnoxious, etc. Which goes against the obvious meaning of the "holiday" they are celebrating (I really don't know if it should be called a holiday, but that's a different debate).

I've had people tell me I'm not a real black man because I speak well and I'm not obnoxious and rude to people. So essentially acting dumb is inherent to blacks, and if you're not acting like an idiot you obviously can't be black. So when I see something like the invitation coming out, or people saying things like "you're not black enough", you sorta have to wonder, "Do you really think that's true, is that what being black is to you?" Even if they are joking, because sometimes people use jokes as a way to express their true feelings without sounding like *******s.

college students are adults, not little kids, if you want people to grow up, treat them like their age. People will aim to meet the expectations laid out for them. If you expect college students to be ignorant and stupid douchebags all you do is a get a bunch of ignorant, stupid douchebags into society once they graduate.

Archived