Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KTLA:Fraternity Mocks Black History Month With "Compton Cookout"

Zguy28

Ok, I'll get into this, why do white people especially when they are younger get into the whole black culture?? I went to a catholic high school and the majority of them acted black. I still remember a guy wearing timberland boots, baggy pants and a 2 Pac shirt. Plus he wore this plastic chain with a tank as the emblem.

Ok, I'll get into this, why do white people especially when they are younger get into the whole black culture?? I went to a catholic high school and the majority of them acted black. I still remember a guy wearing timberland boots, baggy pants and a 2 Pac shirt. Plus he wore this plastic chain with a tank as the emblem.

baggy pants are not a black thing. it's a generational thing. nor are timberland boots. i guess since 2pacs black....but does that mean whites just shouldn't listen to any black artists?

and listen to Eminem :silly:

Enablers are present in this thread. It's evident that they were not celebrating Black HISTORY month at all. They cloaked their CURRENT negative stereotypes of African-American intellect and personality into a racist party labeled "Black history month" I don't understand what is so hard to understand about that lol and if this was a "joke" as some of you are proclaiming, is it acceptable to joke about how uneducated and unrefined you believe an ENTIRE race is? Racism isn't only hating a race. It is also believing that race determines character, personality, and mental capabilities. That is precisely what took place.

And FTR I could care less what they served @ the party. Who cares about that? It's the proclamation that was made by the invite.

It pisses me off, because when I'm watching my favorite channel, BET, during the month of February, all that Black History stuff takes away airtime from those BET music videos with all those hot black women, with junk in their trunk, which makes me :laugh:

So, instead of drooling over those black babes, I gotta deal with my least favorite subject in school : History. Bleccchh......Can't wait til March 1st. In fact, I pronounce March 1st a new holiday. It's called "Bring back the BET black Booty Video" holiday.

Wow

baggy pants are not a black thing. it's a generational thing. nor are timberland boots. i guess since 2pacs black....but does that mean whites just shouldn't listen to any black artists?

this was in 1996, the whole timberland boots and baggy pants were associated with the look. You could cleary see he was trying to be the syterotypical black rapper. I also knew the person, he would usually dress up in a rugby shirt and khakis. The chain was over the top and he looked like a white guy trying to be a black rapper.

Unless the MLK white person colored themselves brown, no one would get the reference and as soon as that happened it would be racist. As far as the stereotypes, I dont think it excuses anyone from anything but there is much more outrage for the white people that think that way than there is for the black people who act that way. Hip hop culture is a culture of ignorance. It makes good, intelligent, hard working black people look bad. I get upset when any people act like that. Its just like inbred hill billy white folks make the rest of us look bad. I dont get mad at anyone for stereotyping me that way but you can bet every time I meet one of those people, I do what I can to educate them. Heck if we all stopped whining about how bad we have it and started looking for solutions to our problems instead, how much better would the world be?

I've dressed up as superman, spiderman, and batman as a kid for Halloween. No need to paint my face white unless I was the joker or something lol. And if you are NOW concerned about how realistic a costume is, please read the party invitation again.

Hip Hop actually IS NOT a culture of ignorance but we won't get into that argument. Just know that your statement is akin to saying that white culture is one of ignorance b/c there have been and are SOME white people who glamorize and idolize sex, money, violence, and drugs. Not accurate at all.

I can relate to you attempting to educate those of your race to perpetuate negative stereotypes. Similar to my case, education is the key. Those few African-America students who preferred to curse, fight, talk about guns and girls EVEN in elementary school needed to be educated on the negative consequences of such things. Just like those white, asian, european, etc. students across America who do the same.

They cloaked their CURRENT negative stereotypes

How is it negative

Racism isn't only hating a race. It is also believing that race determines character, personality, and mental capabilities.

So then the countless people bellowing that white people are inferior as athletes, dancing, computer nerds/dorks, etc would qualify as racism according to your definition, yet it goes unchecked.

Would you be just as upset, if a group of blacks had a party where they dressed up in embarrassingly nerdy clothes with pocket protectors, horn-rimmed glasses, flood-pants and suspenders, dancing weird by mimicking a supposed "white" dance, and pretending like they're running really slow, pretending like they can't jump higher than 2 inches, and talking strange ?

It's no different than the scenario you despise.

I think it's hysterical and so do the black friends I've sent it to. People need to stop throwing the race card at everything they can. Are they having mock hangings? Are they inviting black kids to come so they can sell them? I think that would constitute racism....

Also, is the below not funny? I mean, isn't it just as "racist" as this party?

1-Fkl0OF7j0

Most black kids these days would not no if something was being racist or not. The only thing racist they know is the N word. If you offered them fried chicken and watermelon or went to their house and asked "where are you hiding the grape soda" they would not even know you were making fun of them.

So here is a question. How do you have a themed party honoring African Americans? I dont mean honoring Africans (so no traditional African clothing etc). If you want to have a themed party honoring African Americans and their culture during black history month, how would you do that without offending anyone? Honest question.

You wear regular clothing and not acting a fool.

This is completely using the race card in vain. They are making fun of a stereotype....the big deal is....

Maybe the students shouldn't have labeled it a "Black History Month celebration" Maybe they could have named it "The Black Stereotype Party in February" I think you're missing the point here. They are perpetuating the stereotype as well as making fun of it. When you brainstorm, plan, invite people to, and host a black history month party and EVERYONE is told to come dressed and acting in a condescending manner, I strongly question how you really feel about said race. Man I swear I never put this much time into a tailgate thread but this is just absurd. As well as the responses from some posters that accept this type of behavior lls

That's a good point.

How is this much different than when most of America mimics and sterotypes the Irish, with a nationwide holiday called St Patricks ?

I bet the true Irish look at that and laugh, and say "What a bunch of idiots, what do they know ?" but probably not offended, is my guess.

Right on the money. My wife is Irish and she doesn't take offense. Believe me, here in Boston, the partying is so over-the-top assinine that it's irritating, but it is what it is - a bunch of people using the day as an excuse for getting hammered. The bad accents and stupid jokes about leprechauns and such are wince-inducing, but rate no more than eye-rolling on the take offense scale.

the problem i have is that the invite appears to specifically mention black history month as the reason for the party and then goes on to reinforce negative stereotypes. that, to me, makes this more of a slap in the face of their black friends and classmates.

That's the reason it's offensive to me. Hell, have a black gangsta party if anything. But the party is dedicated to black history month, that's what annoys me. Like the entire history of blacks in this country is based on those ignorant azz stereotypes. Next time they should promote their little cook out better so that they have some citizens of Compton who really fit those stereotypes can come through and help them celebrate. Beat the crap out of everyone wearing costumes.

And I dont even celebrate no dam black history month. I dont need the shortest and coldest month of the year to come around for me to be proud of my heritage. And Im not some overly sensitive dude who catches feelings everytime a black joke is made. All I ask is that the dam joke be funny, so I can laugh my azz off.

It's one thing to say the party isn't a huge deal; it's quite another to say that it's like St. Patrick's Day (i.e., a day in which people honor their Irish heritage).

So, getting paralytic drunk, puking all over the place and falling down on the sidewalk = honoring your Irish heritage? Hmmm.

I like to honor my Irish heritage by being sarcastic and intelligent. The drinking part is actually something I learned as part of my American cultural heritage. :evilg:

Right on the money. My wife is Irish and she doesn't take offense. Believe me, here in Boston, the partying is so over-the-top assinine that it's irritating, but it is what it is - a bunch of people using the day as an excuse for getting hammered. The bad accents and stupid jokes about leprechauns and such are wince-inducing, but rate no more than eye-rolling on the take offense scale.

Are you comparing someone wearing green on St Patricks the same as what these kids did? There's a difference between honoring and mocking.

How is it negative

So then the countless people bellowing that white people are inferior as athletes, dancing, computer nerds/dorks, etc would qualify as racism according to your definition, yet it goes unchecked.

Would you be just as upset, if a group of blacks had a party where they dressed up in embarrassingly nerdy clothes with pocket protectors, horn-rimmed glasses, flood-pants and suspenders, dancing weird by mimicking a supposed "white" dance, and pretending like they're running really slow, pretending like they can't jump higher than 2 inches, and talking strange ?

Proclaiming that black women are not respectable, have limited vocabulary, and fight often to name a few. Oh, and that all black men carry guns or "stay strapped" as the invite states. Are those positive? IF not, then they are negative.

I definitely would be appalled and pissed off @ that party you described and I DAMN sure would not brush it off as just "some blacks", as you say, having fun. Add serial killers, molesters, and rapists to your party and i'd be just as outraged (I added those since you chose not to include some of the more damning stereotypes of white americans that i've heard) Black people are racist as well and I don't hesitate to admit and address it when I see it. THIS thread though is focused on the actions of those students at UCSD. When I see a thread about your party described or anything similar, I'll be sure to post.

Archived