Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When do you think racism will end?

desioreo87

Racism, Bigotry, Stereotyping is all part of the human condition-ie it will never end.

stereotyping ends when the stereotype no longer has any validity. For instance when is that last time that you saw a cartoon of a Chinese American with thick glasses and sanpan hat, or a African American domestic attendant with a bandana and full length dress?

The stereotypes of African American's as pimps, hos, drug dealer, and gangsters will disappear in time after those, involved in such ativities, are gone.

America is in many ways far ahead of the rest of the world in living with racism and working to reduce its effects.

I'd be interested in what other nations in the world are more racially heterogeneous than the US? And handle it better?

Perhaps there exists such a place, but I'm not aware of it.

I think most places where racism doesn't seem to exist are racially homogeneous and it's often accepted that their race is superior.

Good nature/nurture question

There is a part of me that thinks that we are hardwired to notice differences and react to them. There is also a part of me that notices how carefully people must be taught to hate. I think most of it is socialization and I think we have made enormous strides in reducing overt racism within the United States. Can we ever get rid of fear/hate/dislike of the other? Probably not until we stop defining it as "the other"

As Senator Jay Billington Bulworth said:

Rich people have always stayed on top by dividing white people from colored people/ but white people got more in common with colored people then they do with rich people/ we just gotta eliminate them. White people, black people, brown people, yellow people, get rid of 'em all/ All we need is a voluntary, free spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction/ Everybody just gotta keep f*****' everybody til they're all the same color

i'm not sure when/if racism will end, but even if it does end, humans will still find a way to form groups. and some of these groups will find reasons to hate each other. after that these groups will exhibit characterstics of what we call racism, but it will be called some other type of -ism.

<Picture of Hitler>

Good point. I'm not going to get deep into a definition of racism, I was more so pointing out that in many places (especially places where the race of the population is largely homogeneous), that racial superiority is perceived as a matter of fact, rather than a troubling social issue that needs remedy.

I am not talking about completely eradicating racism because thats not possible but I'm talking about a day where no one talks about it any more and there are no more stories where a man did or did not get a job due to his race.

It is my thinking that racism lessens with each generation. As we continue to teach tolerance we heal our country a little bit more. I think that in 3-4 generations time that racism will be noticeably gone.

thoughts?...

When liberals and demographics that use the race card and or seek racial purity among their demographics, as well as true racists are significantly reduced.

When liberals and demographics that use the race card and or seek racial purity among their demographics, as well as true racists are significantly reduced.

I think that the way you utilize liberals is a form of prejudice and blind stereotyping very similar to racism. Although, I do think that you do so somewhat for effect and with a wink like I was doing in today's Reid thread.

Still, hatred of the "other" is rarely a good thing.

Racism will end when governments stop making laws that allow you to be racist. Most of the so-called civil rights laws either allow one to be racist and still competitive, allow you to blame your own inferiority on "reverse-racism", help put the less competent in more highly visible positions and often put an asterisk next to the name of the superior performers who are the beneficiaries of that law.

Archived