Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When do you think racism will end?

desioreo87

I am not talking about completely eradicating racism because thats not possible but I'm talking about a day where no one talks about it any more and there are no more stories where a man did or did not get a job due to his race.

It is my thinking that racism lessens with each generation. As we continue to teach tolerance we heal our country a little bit more. I think that in 3-4 generations time that racism will be noticeably gone.

thoughts?...

I hope that someday it would be possible for the concept of racism to only exist in the annals of history. However, if/when racism were to end, another form of discrimination would surely arise. I admire your idealism, but humans consistently categorize the world around them, in terms of the way that things are ordered and perceived. If racism truly does become eradicatedm, then I feel that another issue would arise that would allow a certain set of people to discriminate against another set of people b/c in the end, everyone wants to feel better about themselves, to which some individuals (or even whole classes) do so by putting down others. Whether it be social, economic, religious, whatever...this is a consistent attribute of human behavior. Of course, ideally, it would be amazing for everyone to get along and a beautiful thing for the color of someone's skin to not matter to anyone, but I feel like discrimination and subsequently persecution will continue to exist, regardless of whether racism does.

I'd like to add that the first step is to stop calling black people "people of color" and "African Americans"

I have a white friend from South Africa and a friend from Egypt. I guess I have a couple "African American" friends.

I'm half Italian, I'm an Italian American!

when everyone becomes brown

I kind of agree, racism will end when everyone mixed with everyone, and we only have one race.

If the world never does fully mix like this, isn't that evidence of some type of racism?

My guess, this will happen in 500 to 1,000 years

Racisam will never end. If we all looked the same, racisam would still exist. It is not about physical differences as much as it is about monetary wants. In the Thirties in Germany, Racial prejudice existed for Jews. They didn't look different then other Germans, per say, but they were characterised as different. It was so because the Jewish people had something the German's wanted. They had financial prosperity and they were an easy target. It's never been about the physical. It's always been about wants and needs. From the begining of time, racial differences sprang up between tribes because each tribe of people were vying for the same resources. The more segregated each tribe became, the more pronounced the physical differences but it was never about physical appearance. It was always about one having what the other wanted.

The Tutsi/Hutu genocidal wars in Rwanda and Burundi are between what are essentially the same people. The differences are based on financial wealth. They have commited a blood fued between the two for hundreds of years for no other reason. It's not about being different. It's about haves and have nots.

You can go on and on but Racisam will never die because you will always have some people who have and some who do not. Those who do not, regardless of why they do not, will always want and that will always manifest itself into take. You can make a case that right now, in America today, the differneces between Liberal and Conservative are really the manifestation of racial inequity. Not talking about skin color here. I'm talking about those who have and those who have not. Today in America, there is a political agenda being served for the have nots.

It will always be there.

I kind of agree, racism will end when everyone mixed with everyone, and we only have one race.

If the world never does fully mix like this, isn't that evidence of some type of racism?

My guess, this will happen in 500 to 1,000 years

The entire world will one day look like Brazil.

Which is a damn cool concept.

Until that point, you cannot "eradicate" racism, because racism is inherent in Western World. It's one of the main reasons that the Western World is what it is. The US is not the US without slavery, The Indian Wars, Jim Crow, exploitation of South American resources, etc. The Great Britain is not Great Britain without the slave trade, India, the Opium Wars, etc. If you live in the Western World and you in any way benefit from it, you owe part of your lifestyle to centuries of murder, forced labor, and exploitation.

It just is. It would be like attempting to eradicate oxygen.

Humans are a clannish animal, so I don't think it well ever truly end. We can be accepting of one another though, and I think in just my lifetime we as a society have made great strides in that direction.

Until that point' date=' you cannot "eradicate" racism, because racism is inherent in Western World. It's one of the main reasons that the Western World is what it is. [/quote']

The notion that racism is somehow confined to the Western world is ridiculously naive. Asian countries are very racist, Japanese believe they're superior to Chinese, Chinese to Koreans, etc etc etc. In Africa the slave trade is alive and well, Africans enslaving other Africans, and the darker the skin the lower the standing. India still has a caste system.

In fact, the Western World is much more advanced in acceptance than many parts of the world. We have our problems, but we make much more of an effort to confront and decrease the problems than many other places in the world.

~Bang

Racisam will never end. If we all looked the same, racisam would still exist. It is not about physical differences as much as it is about monetary wants. In the Thirties in Germany, Racial prejudice existed for Jews. They didn't look different then other Germans, per say, but they were characterised as different. It was so because the Jewish people had something the German's wanted. They had financial prosperity and they were an easy target. It's never been about the physical. It's always been about wants and needs. From the begining of time, racial differences sprang up between tribes because each tribe of people were vying for the same resources. The more segregated each tribe became, the more pronounced the physical differences but it was never about physical appearance. It was always about one having what the other wanted.

The Tutsi/Hutu genocidal wars in Rwanda and Burundi are between what are essentially the same people. The differences are based on financial wealth. They have commited a blood fued between the two for hundreds of years for no other reason. It's not about being different. It's about haves and have nots.

You can go on and on but Racisam will never die because you will always have some people who have and some who do not. Those who do not, regardless of why they do not, will always want and that will always manifest itself into take. You can make a case that right now, in America today, the differneces between Liberal and Conservative are really the manifestation of racial inequity. Not talking about skin color here. I'm talking about those who have and those who have not. Today in America, there is a political agenda being served for the have nots.

It will always be there.

OK that was genocide (Rwanda) and not racism. I assume the OP meant people of different skin color.

I for one believe that racism will not be around forever. That is, if the human race can survive that long:)

It will always be there.

I would argue that have and have nots is not racism. There will likely always be violent conflicts, between different groups, but I don't think you can call it racism.

Having two groups that are opposed to each other is not necessarily racism. The Bloods and the Crips may each think that they are superior to the other, but their quarrel is not race related.

Until that point' date=' you cannot "eradicate" racism, because racism is inherent in Western World. It's one of the main reasons that the Western World is what it is. The US is not the US without slavery, The Indian Wars, Jim Crow, exploitation of South American resources, etc. The Great Britain is not Great Britain without the slave trade, India, the Opium Wars, etc. If you live in the Western World and you in any way benefit from it, you owe part of your lifestyle to centuries of murder, forced labor, and exploitation.

It just is. It would be like attempting to eradicate oxygen.[/quote']

This is not about "The Western World". The whole world takes part in this practice. All countries have taken part in this practice and all countries "owe" so to speak.

I would argue that have and have nots is not racism. There will likely always be violent conflicts, between different groups, but I don't think you can call it racism.

Having two groups that are opposed to each other is not necessarily racism. The Bloods and the Crips may each think that they are superior to the other, but their quarrel is not race related.

What is the difference? Racisam is simply a means by which to identify a comminality. Going back to the begining of time, racisam has existed. It has been changed to be representative of color etc. but the core of it is still the same. Understand what it really is and that's the first step to ever having any hope to overcome it. Buy into racisam and you feed it IMO.

I think racism has ended in many places. I see none of it in my workplace. You'd have a tough time calling me a racist based on who I've hired and who I've given good raises to.

I think there are some areas it's still going to take some time. If you to up to the board level in companies or you go to a trailer park somewhere, you'd still find quite a bit of it.

OK that was genocide (Rwanda) and not racism. I assume the OP meant people of different skin color.

I for one believe that racism will not be around forever. That is, if the human race can survive that long:)

What's the difference?

rac⋅ism

  /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA

Use racism in a Sentence

See web results for racism

See images of racism

–noun

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Until that point' date=' you cannot "eradicate" racism, because racism is inherent in Western World. It's one of the main reasons that the Western World is what it is. The US is not the US without slavery, The Indian Wars, Jim Crow, exploitation of South American resources, etc. The Great Britain is not Great Britain without the slave trade, India, the Opium Wars, etc. If you live in the Western World and you in any way benefit from it, you owe part of your lifestyle to centuries of murder, forced labor, and exploitation.

It just is. It would be like attempting to eradicate oxygen.[/quote']There is plenty of racism in Brazil.

http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/afrolatin/part3/index.html

We are not going to **** ourselves into some magical mulatto racial harmony. People will always have different skin tones, and if it's not skin tone, then it's language or religion or culture. We'll always find ways to divide ourselves along racial lines.

There will always be racism; the question is how to deal with it as a society. America is in many ways far ahead of the rest of the world in living with racism and working to reduce its effects.

Archived