Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Scheduling formula will remain for 2010 and beyond (Merged 3x and counting...)

HigSkin

After emailing a couple people at redskins.com, the schedule has been corrected. Packers are at home, Chicago is on the road, just like we thought:

Old unfixed link: http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:Qu5AQCt2kN4J:www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Future_Opponents_608.jsp+future+opponents+site:redskins.com&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

New fixed link: http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Future_Opponents_608.jsp

I know I may be looking too far ahead but I just saw the 2010 Schedule and It looks like it may be a hard road for the Skins. Green Bay, Vikings, Tixans, Colts. are our Home games and all are in the playoffs this year. Tampa was the only one not going. Away Games are a little better, Bears, Lions, Jaguars, Titans, and Rams. But now Add Dallas, Eagles, Giants to the mix. I always though the NFL made up the Schedule by your Win Lose Ratio. Has that changed and I missed it??

there's a thread on this already, but i'll explain it breifly for you.

Each division plays one division in their conference, and another division in the other conference.

We're playing the NFC North and AFC South next year (i believe...)

However, that only adds up to 14 games (4 from NFC North + 4 from AFC South + 6 divisional games = 14). The remaining two are decided this way: two other divisions are chosen (i forget which two) and the teams are lined up according to rank (this is where win/loss comes in). So if we're suppose to play the NFC west for our 15th game (for example) we would play the #4 team in the NFC west, the giants would play the #3, the eagles the #2, and the cowboys the #1 (thats the ranking of the NFC East vs the ranking of the NFC West).

Edit: i see the guy below me corrected me - your 15th and 16th games are inter-conference.

'll try to find the thread for you.

Edit: the wins/losses may come into effect in determining home vs away for those games - although I'm not sure about that and can't come up with a reasonable way to make that work. If the team is better you play them at home, if they're worse you play them away?

ps: thats why we got detroit (again) this year - we were matched up against the NFC north for our 15th game, and they were the last team in the division.

I know I may be looking too far ahead but I just saw the 2010 Schedule and It looks like it may be a hard road for the Skins. Green Bay, Vikings, Tixans, Colts. are our Home games and all are in the playoffs this year. Tampa was the only one not going. Away Games are a little better, Bears, Lions, Jaguars, Titans, and Rams. But now Add Dallas, Eagles, Giants to the mix. I always though the NFL made up the Schedule by your Win Lose Ratio. Has that changed and I missed it??

The schedule is made like this:

Each division plays all the other teams from one NFC division and one AFC division -- this rotates each year. Next year, all NFC East teams are playing all four teams from:

1. The NFC North

2. The AFC South

Then depending on your position in the division, you play the other 2 teams in your conference that finished in the same place (so the 4th place team from the NFC West -- Rams -- and the NFC South -- Bucs.

Finally, of course two games against all teams from the division.

Theoretically, the Skins schedule should be comparable to all the other teams in the NFC East, with the exception that they play the 4th place teams in the NFC West and South.

However, that only adds up to 14 games (4 from NFC North + 4 from AFC South + 6 divisional games = 14). The remaining two are decided this way: two other divisions (one from each conference) are chosen (i forget which two) and the teams are lined up according to rank (this is where win/loss comes in). So if we're suppose to play the NFC west for our 15th game (for example) we would play the #4 team in the NFC west, the giants would play the #3, the eagles the #2, and the cowboys the #1 (thats the ranking of the NFC East vs the ranking of the NFC West) - repeate for the AFC division for the 16th game.

I'll try to find the thread for you.

Actually, it's the other two NFC divisions.

We play within our division 6 times.

1 other entire NFC division

1 entire AFC division

2 games against similar finishers from the other two NFC divisions. We will play the #4 teams from the NFC West and South next season, the Rams and the Bucs.

Texans missed the playoffs this year, but they're still going to be a tough foe. As for scheduling parity, that only comes into play for two games; otherwise, the rest of the schedule is determined by an established formula. We'll get our NFC East division foes (of course), plus one other NFC division (looks like the NFC North in 2010) and one other AFC division (AFC South), and these will be the same divisions the rest of the NFC East faces. We'll then get two 4th-place foes (due to scheduling parity) from the other NFC divisions (if I'm understanding the system correctly), which should be Rams and the Bucs.

Actually, it's the other two NFC divisions.

We play within our division 6 times.

1 other entire NFC division

1 entire AFC division

2 games against similar finishers from the other two NFC divisions. We will play the #4 teams from the NFC West and South next season, the Rams and the Bucs.

Bolded portion is the only difference in our schedule and the Cowboys schedule. We play the Rams and Bucs, the Cowboys play the Cards and Saints.

This scheduling applies for 2010:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/28/scheduling-formula-will-remain-for-2010-and-beyond/

The thread title should read "2010 Opponents", not schedule. Sorry it is a pet pieve of mine. The schedule does not get released until April.

Here are the opponents, in an easier to read format:

Home: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Minnesota, Houston, Indianapolis, Tampa Bay

Away: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee, St. Louis

The thread title should read "2010 Opponents", not schedule. Sorry it is a pet pieve of mine. The schedule does not get released until April.

Here are the opponents, in an easier to read format:

Home: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Minnesota, Houston, Indianapolis, Tampa Bay

Away: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee, St. Louis

Wildly tipped that Jacksonville will be one team that gives up a home game for the International Series. Just a thought ;)

Eeeeeeeee :) :)

We need to drop this west coast offense B.S. and get down to basics. We need to go back to our roots. The Redskins are supposed to be rough and tough. I think we were on our way before someone, who has hopefully been since fired, decided the Gibbs offense was antiquated and we had to hire Saunders. Big mistake, we need to go back 2005 when Coach Gibbs had us going in the right direction.

Archived