Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Scheduling formula will remain for 2010 and beyond (Merged 3x and counting...)

HigSkin

With that schedule, 10 wins in the minimum next season. Depending on how quickly Shanahan shakes off the rust, 11 or 12 is possible.
I'm expecting 6-7 win season. It's going to take more than Mike Shanahan to get back on track. I could careless if he comes here or not.

If I was making the schedule for 2010, it would look this way.

Week 1: Tampa Bay

Week 2: @Tennessee

Week 3: @St. Louis

Week 4: Indianapolis on MNF

Week 5: @Dallas

Week 6: Houston

Week 7: @ Jacksonville in London, England

Week 8: Bye Week

Week 9: Philadelphia

Week 10: N.Y. Giants

Week 11: @Detroit

Week 12: Minnesota

Week 13: @Philadelphia

Week 14: @Chicago

Week 15: Green Bay

Week 16: @N.Y. Giants

Week 17: Dallas- Flexed to SNF

The schedule is made like this:

Each division plays all the other teams from one NFC division and one AFC division -- this rotates each year. Next year, all NFC East teams are playing all four teams from:

1. The NFC North

2. The AFC South

Then depending on your position in the division, you play the other 2 teams in your conference that finished in the same place (so the 4th place team from the NFC West -- Rams -- and the NFC South -- Bucs.

Finally, of course two games against all teams from the division.

Here is the link from the NFL that lists out every team's 2010 opponents: http://tinyurl.com/yc6bfcy

Of note here is that they did change the two western divisions to where the road trips are no longer both to the west coast. Road trips to Seattle and San Francisco or Oakland and San Diego are no more, and I'm sure teams that had to play at all four venues in the same season made enough complaints about that.

For the NFC West ... the pairings are Arizona and San Francisco, and St. Louis and Seattle. For the AFC West, it is Denver and Oakland, and Kansas City and San Diego.

In 2011, we get the NFC West again and it remains to be seen where we go but I suspect that it will be Arizona and San Francisco in 2011. Then again, I reserve the right to be wrong. :laugh:

cheers

With that schedule, 10 wins in the minimum next season. Depending on how quickly Shanahan shakes off the rust, 11 or 12 is possible.

If you're going to make an unrealistic prediction, might as well go all-out and say 16 wins, baby!

Back in reality, I don't see more than 6-7 wins next year.

Thx man!

but god damn we have a tough schedule next year!

Not sure if the Redskins will win a home game with the teams on that list. Although the last team to be added for the home game is Tampa. The last road game will be the Rams.

Breakdown of our opponents 2009 record (sorry, I can't quite figure out how to format this as more of chart; the 'columns' would be our opponent, their overall record, and the opponent's record at the appropriate venues, i.e, the road record for our home opponents and the home record for our away opponents):

Home Overall Road

DAL 11-5 5-3

PHI 11-5 5-3

NYG 8-8 4-4

GB 11-5 5-3

MIN 12-4 4-4

HOU 9-7 5-3

IND 14-2 7-1

TB 3-13 2-6

Total 79-49 (.617) 37-27 (0.578)

Away Overall Home

DAL 11-5 6-2

PHI 11-5 6-2

NYG 8-8 4-4

CHI 7-9 4-4

DET 2-14 2-6

JAX 7-9 5-3

TEN 8-8 5-3

STL 1-15 0-8

Total 55-73 (0.430) 33-31 (0.516)

So, as a .250 team, we have seven games against teams in the play-offs, seven games against teams with 11+ wins, 11 games against teams that are .500 or better overall, and a grand total of three games against opponents that are below .500 in the applicable venue (one of them being, of course, the Lions that we lost to). And, according to http://theredzone.org/Features/NFLStrengthofSchedule.aspx, we have the eighth toughest 2010 schedule. At least we'll retain the title of Off Season Champs for another year!

As much as the NFL changes from year to year, anything is possible. It just take a good draft/offseason to get the pieces together and anything could happen. The Giants, Panthers, Steelers, and Titans (the top 4 seeds from last year) missed the playoffs this year. Bad teams have turned it around and made the playoffs the next year. So I'm not ruling anything out yet. We have our work cut out for us, but its not impossible.

Breakdown of our opponents 2009 record (sorry, I can't quite figure out how to format this as more of chart; the 'columns' would be our opponent, their overall record, and the opponent's record at the appropriate venues, i.e, the road record for our home opponents and the home record for our away opponents):

The trick is to surround your data with the code tags.

Home    Overall   Road
DAL        11-5     5-3
PHI        11-5     5-3
NYG         8-8     4-4
GB         11-5     5-3
MIN        12-4     4-4
HOU         9-7     5-3
IND        14-2     7-1
TB         3-13     2-6
Total 79-49 (.617) 37-27 (0.578)

Away  Overall Home
DAL     11-5  6-2
PHI     11-5  6-2
NYG      8-8  4-4
CHI      7-9  4-4
DET      2-14 2-6
JAX      7-9  5-3
TEN      8-8  5-3
STL      1-15 0-8
Total   55-73 (0.430) 33-31 (0.516)

Thanks, MTH. Much easier to read that way.

P.S. Could you please PM me how you did that? I tried reading through the BB codes in the FAQ, but still couldn't figure it out.

you put the word Code in between [] at the begining of the segment and the word /Code between [] at the end of the segment or highlight the section and click the # button

Yep, just tried messing around with it a bit, and you aren't kidding about fiddling with the alignment. But at least now I know how it's done. The down side is, the more I stare at all those records, the worse I feel. Just to add something new to the thread, the Redskins went 4-12 against the 16th strongest schedule in 2009, according to http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4027503 But 5 of the top 10 strongest team schedule made it to the play-offs.

the Redskins went 4-12 against the 16th strongest schedule in 2009

This might just be me being WAY too optimistic, but we played a whole lot better against the better teams (i.e. shoulda beat the Pukes at Dallas, shoulda beat the Saints) than we did against the weaker teams save the Raiders, so who knows?

Archived