Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Cerrato Resigns (with statement)

authentic

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Vinny Cerrato has resigned as the Redskins' executive vice-president of football operations, the team has announced.

"We agreed that the franchise needs someone different in this position," Cerrato said in a statement released by the Redskins this morning. "I'm thankful to Dan Snyder and other members of this ownership team for the opportunities I've been given over the years."

"Of course I am disappointed with this year's results," he continued, "but I strongly believe that with outstanding picks and encouraging performance by our younger players, we have laid a strong foundation for the franchise."

Cerrato has served two stints with the team, and assumed the title of executive vice president of a football operations on Jan. 22, 2008, following the resignation of Joe Gibbs. He played a central role in the team's hiring of head coach Jim Zorn and has effectively served as the team's general manager since that time, charged with building a roster that might snap the franchise's 17-year Super Bowl drought.

Asked on Oct. 27 if he felt he'd given the Redskins' coaching staff a playoff roster, Cerrato said, "Yes."

But with a 4-9 record heading into Monday night's game against the New York Giants, any postseason hopes are deferred at least one more year.

Cerrato hasn't spoken publicly with local reporters since that Oct. 27 meeting. He acknowledged at the time that accountability would be a prevalent theme around Redskins Park.

"I got to look at myself, we got to look at everybody and we got to just go out now and you know what you got to do -- you got to get to better day to day, week to week," he said. "And that's what it's about, it's about improving each game. It's one game at a time, one day at a time."

I can't stop smiling!!!! :D

Hey - at least it was a pretty classy statement and he's not being booted out kicking and screaming. The last thing we need is more drama.

"I've had the pleasure of working with some great coaches such as Joe Gibbs, Greg Blache and Sherman Lewis????, great people on the Redskins staff

Classy statement? You're going to acknowledge Coach Fresh Eyes and not Zorn? Talk about a shot to the gut before you walk out.

After hearing that dumbass statement vinny made about Samuel's injury being some what a "mental thing", I have absolutely no remorse what so ever for this bumb.

I hope he never steps foot into FedEx field ever again. If he does, have security throw his ass out like they did the fans protesting his termination.

"I've had the pleasure of working with some great coaches such as Joe Gibbs, Greg Blache and Sherman Lewis????, great people on the Redskins staff

Classy statement? You're going to acknowledge Coach Fresh Eyes and not Zorn? Talk about a shot to the gut before you walk out.

I didn't catch that. And, you could argue that Zorn is not a great coach, but more of a likeable or even great guy. Besides, given the fact that Vinny can hardly say his own name right, I'm not sure you can say it was done on purpose. You know, it was like mental and stuff. :silly:

Anyway, my point was that he could have chosen to go out fighting, which is not what we need.

Well, fans got what they wanted. While I'm surprised, I also realize that Vinny was always going to have baggage associated with him and he was never going to get away from that.

I hope this isn't a sign for major upheaval again, tho. If it is, it will be the same story as it has been in the past. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Archived