Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honestly, We Should Cut Landry

WizSkinsO's

Whatever, I remember another hard-hitting safety who seemed wildly undisciplined and like more of a headache than he was worth his first couple years in the league. I'm not ready to give up on Landry yet.

Agree 100%.

Landry will be this weeks whipping boy.

It's amazing how some members of ES first turned on Snyderatto (which I have no problem with) and are now turning on various players (which I do have a problem with).

Whatever, I remember another hard-hitting safety who seemed wildly undisciplined and like more of a headache than he was worth his first couple years in the league. I'm not ready to give up on Landry yet.

ST's problems were off the field. You are definitely trippin when comparing ST to Landry. ST as a rookie would make Landry of 2009 look like a middle schooler.

Just to add to the overall topic of the thread, Landry pisses me off more than any other player on the team. Standing over top of guys that he arm-tackled after 30 yard gains like he's something fearsome. Get over yourself, Landry. Your ego barely fits in the stadium and your game barely fits in the NFL.

ST's problems were off the field. You are definitely trippin when comparing ST to Landry. ST as a rookie would make Landry of 2009 look like a middle schooler.

ST was much better when coached up by Gregg Williams. LL doesn't have that luxury. LL's current DC does nothing to help him become a better player, much like many others on defense.

Agree 100%.

Landry will be this weeks whipping boy.

It's amazing how some members of ES first turned on Snyderatto (which I have no problem with) and are now turning on various players (which I do have a problem with).

This:)

How soon we forget huh??

ST was much better when coached up by Gregg Williams. LL doesn't have that luxury. LL's current DC does nothing to help him become a better player, much like many others on defense.

Give me a break, Landry couldn't sniff ST's jock. If you can't see that then I'm sorry. I'd take Ryan Clark back in a heartbeat over Landry. Big muscles and posturing over people he dragged down with his pinkies doesn't impress me. Neither does missing every big hit you try to line up besides the ones out of bounds.

Just to add to the overall topic of the thread, Landry pisses me off more than any other player on the team. Standing over top of guys that he arm-tackled after 30 yard gains like he's something fearsome. Get over yourself, Landry. Your ego barely fits in the stadium and your game barely fits in the NFL.

Amen.

Some people appear to be clueless or willfully choose to forget how good Sean Taylor was his first season. He did have his issues on and off the field, but his rare talent was undeniable and flashed often. Landry has been this bad from day 1 and has not progressed one bit in three seasons. Perhaps it is coaching, but honestly I have not even seen any natural talent displayed by Landry either. At least not any rare talent worthy of the sixth pick in the draft.

Give me a break, Landry couldn't sniff ST's jock. If you can't see that then I'm sorry. I'd take Ryan Clark back in a heartbeat over Landry. Big muscles and posturing over people he dragged down with his pinkies doesn't impress me. Neither does missing every big hit you try to line up besides the ones out of bounds.

Absolutely ST was the better player. I'm not arguing that one bit.

Landry is talented though. He can certainly improve leaps and bounds. Our current DC does not seem to be doing anything to help Landry improve at all. He takes chances and sometimes he fails. A good DC would help him improve on that.

Look at the 3rd down run by the Falcons back up RB late in the game. That stop was all Landry. He sniffed out the play and stopped it well short of the line. Nobody else on the team is capable of making that play.

In all honesty, Landry has the natural skillset for a strong safety, where he played his rookie year. His speed and blitzing ability were huge for him at LSU, he's not doing much being 30 yards off the LOS. His coverage skills and hands were the biggest knocks on him going into the draft. I'd like to see if someone could take over FS and move Landry around into a position where he can't give up such big plays.

I don't have a problem with him going for the big hit, the problem is he never deliver's it unless he's hitting someone out of bounds. Even if they could get him to stop trying for the big hit he's worthless. He takes the worst angles to the ball I've ever seen and really doesn't deserve to be on the field.

I'm not against trying him at SS once again before cutting him, but regardless I wont cry if they cut him next year.

I've thought for a long time he just doesn't want to play here. He's previously stated he wants to play with his bro in Baltimore. Just another example of a player collecting a paycheck here and not playing/performing at all. Another bust, another bad decision another VC f-up.

Did he really say that or are just guessing?

Lol, if he were to play he'd have to compete with his brother for playing time... unless one of them can play corner which I highly doubt.

Dude, Peterson would be running for 800 yards and 3 TDs a season here. I'm glad he went to a place where his talent isn't being squandered.

Damn that's pretty good analysis! So tell me how many yards would Barry Sanders have had playing here???

Ugh.

Laron Landry was an All American STRONG safety in college.

Orakpo was an Award Winning DE in college.

D. Hall is a very good ZONE corner, not so great at man. Guess where he spends most of his time?

Blades is London Fletcher, not Rocky McIntosh. Guess who he backs up the most.

Heyer played LT in college, not RT.

Rhinehart played LT for a tiny school, not RG.

Jason Campbell is a drop back, Air Coryell type QB, not a quick hitter WCO guy.

We dont have an actual SAM backer on the roster.

We never had a back up RG on the roster and still dont have a back up LG.

We have a rookie back up center, and an undersized starter who's best known for reading defenses, not for pushing piles.

Our only backups at tackle? A guy who's already starting out of position, a reclamation project, a guy we just signed three weeks ago, and a bunch of never have played a down in the NFL project types.

Our "change of pace", third down back is a virtual twin to our starting back.

Last year, when our 300lb run stuffing defensive end went down, we traded max picks for an under-sized (240-250?) pass rusher and played him out of position in spite of the fact that the guy playing his natural position is a shadow, career wise and stat wise.

This guy? Former defensive player of the year. Our guy? double digit sacks in a couple of seasons over 8-10 years.

Anybody seeing a pattern?

His initials are VC. :doh:

I don't have a problem with him going for the big hit, the problem is he never deliver's it unless he's hitting someone out of bounds. Even if they could get him to stop trying for the big hit he's worthless. He takes the worst angles to the ball I've ever seen and really doesn't deserve to be on the field.

I'm not against trying him at SS once again before cutting him, but regardless I wont cry if they cut him next year.

So I guess everyone in this thread forgot about the great hit on Aaron Stecker on 3rd down. Perfect line to the ball, hit with impact and stopped him well short of the line.

That's OK though. Let's keep hating on Landry.

Ugh.

D. Hall is a very good ZONE corner, not so great at man. Guess where he spends most of his time?

We have a rookie back up center, and an undersized starter who's best known for reading defenses, not for pushing piles.

Our only backups at tackle? A guy who's already starting out of position, a reclamation project, a guy we just signed three weeks ago, and a bunch of never have played a down in the NFL project types.

Our "change of pace", third down back is a virtual twin to our starting back.

Last year, when our 300lb run stuffing defensive end went down, we traded max picks for an under-sized (240-250?) pass rusher and played him out of position in spite of the fact that the guy playing his natural position is a shadow, career wise and stat wise.

This guy? Former defensive player of the year. Our guy? double digit sacks in a couple of seasons over 8-10 years.

wish i could make that my signature. well said.

Can Kareem Moore play FS? should we draft Taylor Mays with our #1 if he's there?

what do you mean "If he's there?"

everyone will be there since we are going to finish 2-14 and have the #1 overall pick in the draft. And no, we shouldn't draft him. Eric Berry safety out of Tennessee is better anyways.

Ugh.

Rule 11.

Those faults of Cerrato should be listed as formal charges that he has committed against this team. The guy knowingly put this team in this situation and defends those decisions by saying the team should have a better record than they do. Vinny, honestly, DESERVES to be FIRED!!!

Taylor was great because Taylor was great and wanted to be great. Not because Gregg Williams coached him. He would have been a super star no matter what team took him.

I don't know why Landry is a bench player, but it ain't cause Williams isn't coaching him up. If he were a physical freak and could make up for missteps some of his stupidity could be forgiven. But that dude makes unbelievably costly and stupid errors without the physical ability to make up for them.

Sure Landry is fast, but not fast enough to make up for his horrible angles and limp wristed tackling. And one third down stop doesn't make up for stupid personal fouls that kill defensive momentum.

Ugh.

Blades is London Fletcher, not Rocky McIntosh. Guess who he backs up the most......................

Awesome post.

The only response I could give to your entire post is.........."What HE said."

So I guess everyone in this thread forgot about the great hit on Aaron Stecker on 3rd down. Perfect line to the ball, hit with impact and stopped him well short of the line.

That's OK though. Let's keep hating on Landry.

He deserves every ounce of hate directed toward him

One good play does not erase the multitude of bad plays.

He is a liability out there on the field.

What is the excuse for his consistent use of the "dive at a player's legs" style of non tackling?

Why is he always leaving his feet to make (miss) tackles?

\What is the reason he consistently takes angles SO bad that he completely whiffs on ballcarriers?

Why is it when he DOES make contact it is a weak attempt at an arm tackle?

How on earth did he miss the point of contact on Turner's second quarter 30 yard TD run by nearly SIX yards? How does anyone with eyes take THAT bad of an angle? Turner didn't cut back until Landry had already over committed. Landry took SUCH a bad angle that he had no chance of even being within ten yards of making the tackle.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81405e92/Turner-30-yd-touchdown-run

No safety in the NFL should be THIS off on his angle. He flat out turns his BACK and runs AWAY from the play, instead of altering his angle, or maybe standing his ground. Either way, his initial angle was SO bad that he would have missed no matter what he did.. just so happens he chose to turn his BACK on the ballcarrier without a blocker within five yards of him.

How does he do this with all this hidden talent? How on earth can he make such basic fundamental mistakes play after play ..week after week?

Wait wait. Let me guess. He's not playing his natural position, so of course he now tackles like a kid who never played the game before.

No excuse for his failings.

The mistakes he makes are basic fundamental football. Hit hard. Stay on your feet. Maintain a proper angle. Hit with your face or your shoulder into a man's chest or his belt. NOT his ankles. Do NOT arm tackle. (In fact, any coach will tell you, if a guy is making arm tackle attempts, it's because he's missed.)

These things are taught to kids from the earliest levels on up. No one at this level should have to be taught any of this stuff.

~Bang

Archived