Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honestly, We Should Cut Landry

WizSkinsO's

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE REDSKINS IN GENERAL; THERE IS NO DISCIPLINE, TEAMWORK, AND DEDICATION. TOO MANY GREAT PLAYERS "SPOIL THE BROTH". LANDRY HAS THE PHYSICAL ABILITY TO BE A STAR. HE IS ONE OF THOSE GREAT PLAYERS "SPOILING THE BROTH".

IF LANDRY DECIDES TO WORK OUT ON HIS OWN NEXT YEAR AND DECIDE WHEN HE COMES INTO WORKOUTS AND CAMP, GET RID OF HIM IMMEDIATELY. I DON'T CARE WHO IS A STAR AND WHO IS TRYING TO FIND A JOB, MAKE EVERYONE WORK HARD STARTING WITH PRACTICES AND PRESEASON. MAKE EVERYONE EARN THEIR JOB INCLUDING PORTIS, SELLERS, LANDRY, AND, YES, HAYNESWORTH (HAS HE PLAYED WORTH HIS CONTRACT?.....NO)

MAKE EVERYONE A TO Z EARN HIS JOB NEXT YEAR. THAT IS WHAT GIBBS DID WHEN HE CAME IN AND CLEANED UP THE MESS IN 1980 AND THE TEAM WAS BETTER FOR IT, AND HE KEPT THAT PHILOSOPHY THRU THE LAST SUPERBOWL YEAR IN 92. EVERYONE KNEW WHAT THEY HAD TO DO......NO PRIMADONNAS !!!!!!!! TO HECK WITH THESE SO CALLED STARS PLAYING ONE QUARTER IN ALL THE PRESEASON GAMES AND STANDING ON THE SIDELINES SOAKING UP GATROADE AND STANDING BY THE FAN. IF THEY GET HURT, THEY GET HURT.

OHHHHH YEAH , I FORGOT.......BRING "CHUCKIE" IN TO KICK EM IN THE BUTT !!!!!!!!!! FIRST GAME IN LIKE 55 YEARS I DIDN'T WATCH. I COULDN'T BEAR. THEY NEED TO EARN MY RESPECT. LISTEN TO THE ANNOUNCERS, REDSKINS, NOT THE FRONT OFFICE AND THE FRONT OFFICE RUN TV SHOWS.:helmet::logo:

Dude. ^^^^ People are trying to sleep here. ;)

16. REFRAIN FROM POSTING IN ALL CAPITALS.

On the internet, posting in all capitals is considered shouting, and as such is considered rude and offensive. Overuse of capital letters also creates a strain on the eyesight, and makes it difficult to read text. Caps should be used to show emphasis for only one or two words.

Ugh.

Laron Landry was an All American STRONG safety in college.

Gibbs pick, Blache position decision

Orakpo was an Award Winning DE in college.

Blache decision

D. Hall is a very good ZONE corner, not so great at man. Guess where he spends most of his time?

Vinny Signing that doesn't fit scheme

Blades is London Fletcher, not Rocky McIntosh. Guess who he backs up the most.

Blache but Vinny and Gibbs gave him the material

Heyer played LT in college, not RT.

Bugel. Oh, no one is free of blame for this disaster

*11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures. *

Sorry

I hate Vinny as much as the next guy, but this team was not built in the past 2 years alone. Our issues have been building for years through quick fixes and mismanagement of players across the board. We need a lot more than just a new GM, but that is certainly the first step.

Oh, and my couch coach idea for Laron Landry... have him put on 30 pounds and put him at SLB. I am only half kidding.

He deserves every ounce of hate directed toward him

One good play does not erase the multitude of bad plays.

He is a liability out there on the field.

What is the excuse for his consistent use of the "dive at a player's legs" style of non tackling?

Why is he always leaving his feet to make (miss) tackles?

\What is the reason he consistently takes angles SO bad that he completely whiffs on ballcarriers?

Why is it when he DOES make contact it is a weak attempt at an arm tackle?

How on earth did he miss the point of contact on Turner's second quarter 30 yard TD run by nearly SIX yards? How does anyone with eyes take THAT bad of an angle? Turner didn't cut back until Landry had already over committed. Landry ran RIGHT by him, spinning around so late that he had no chance of even being within ten yards of making the tackle.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81405e92/Turner-30-yd-touchdown-run

No safety in the NFL should be THIS off on his angle. He flat out turns his BACK and runs AWAY from the play, instead of altering his angle, or maybe standing his ground. Either way, his initial angle was SO bad that he would have missed no matter what he did.. just so happens he chose to turn his BACK on the ballcarrier without a blocker within five yards of him.

Good post.

I won't make excuses for Landry. He's made mistakes, some of which happen consistently. Many of which I think could be addressed with good coaching. I think that he needs somebody who he believes in to take him under his wing, show him what he's doing wrong and what he needs to do to correct it.

I feel like Blache has him out there freelancing. Much like the rest of the defense, it doesn't seem to be very organized. It's just a bunch of talented guys playing a basic defense to the best of their ability. I don't think that Blache is beneficial to Landry, among others on defense.

My main point is that Landry has a ton of talent. He certainly has the skill set to be a great starting safety in this league. He needs to learn from his mistakes. It seems to me that he doesn't really have any sort of mentor figure to help him become a more complete player. He isn't putting his talent to go use.

I won't use the argument that Blache has him out of position. I think that the mistakes we see would be made at SS as well.

All in all, I think that Landry's mistakes can be addressed. He needs somebody to believe in though. Why try to adjust your playing style when you don't believe the person who is trying to change it?

Maybe he just doesn't care to improve though. Who knows.

Scuse me, but what does "Dude. ^^^^" mean? Maybe you were blinded so much that you hit the wrong key. I see that the rules say that now; that is just about all you needed to say. I'm no "dude"!!!

Relax. It's not personal, I'm sure, and it's certainly no more of an insult than "Guy" or "Hey".

~Bang

Good post.

I won't make excuses for Landry. He's made mistakes, some of which happen consistently. Many of which I think could be addressed with good coaching. I think that he needs somebody who he believes in to take him under his wing, show him what he's doing wrong and what he needs to do to correct it.

I feel like Blache has him out there freelancing. Much like the rest of the defense, it doesn't seem to be very organized. It's just a bunch of talented guys playing a basic defense to the best of their ability. I don't think that Blache is beneficial to Landry, among others on defense.

My main point is that Landry has a ton of talent. He certainly has the skill set to be a great starting safety in this league. He needs to learn from his mistakes. It seems to me that he doesn't really have any sort of mentor figure to help him become a more complete player. He isn't putting his talent to go use.

I won't use the argument that Blache has him out of position. I think that the mistakes we see would be made at SS as well.

All in all, I think that Landry's mistakes can be addressed. He needs somebody to believe in though. Why try to adjust your playing style when you don't believe the person who is trying to change it?

Maybe he just doesn't care to improve though. Who knows.

Part of me wants to agree .. with proper coaching maybe he can be what we expected with the 6th overall pick.

But wow... whether it's him, Blache or Gray causing these unbelievably glaring mistakes, it's enough to damn them all.

~Bang

Scuse me, but what does "Dude. ^^^^" mean? Maybe you were blinded so much that you hit the wrong key. I see that the rules say that now; that is just about all you needed to say. I'm no "dude"!!!

It means I was speaking to you,(without quoting your post), and doing so in a lighthearted manner,(sort of like all those commercials an..never mind. If you have to explain the joke....). Now I'll make it official. Edit that post to comply with the rules.

Part of me wants to agree .. with proper coaching maybe he can be what we expected with the 6th overall pick.

But wow... whether it's him, Blache or Gray causing these unbelievably glaring mistakes, it's enough to damn them all.

~Bang

I've never been sold on Blache. I always thought his defense lacked creativity and isn't exciting. Sure we are #2 against the pass, but it just doesn't work for me. It's too vanilla.

Given Blaches constant fumbles with the media, to the point where he decided to stop speaking with them, leads me to believe that he isn't very good with the players either. If he is so confrontational and ignorant to the media, I can only imagine how he is with the players. From what I have seen from him publicly, he doesn't really come of as the "teaching" type.

Yes, they are Landry's mistakes. He needs to own them. It's not Blache or Gray on the field. Perhaps though, with somebody that Landry trusted (assuming that he doesn't get help from Blache or Gray), he could study game film and practice his technique to become better.

I just feel like the guy has a bunch of talent. A good coach should be able to bring out the most in a player like Landry.

Unfortunately I live in CO and haven't had the chance to watch but a few games so I just saw the video. To me, although it was an out of bounds hit, I didn't think it was all that bad. At full speed it was close, maybe closer than it looked and I can understand him wanting to level the QB. At least he got out of there, and even Ryan got up and slapped his butt or whatever as if to say no big deal. However, from what I read I guess Landry has a habit of this. Too bad, he looks like an exceptional athlete the little I've seen of him.

Hall looked a little bit worse in my opinion because he didn't leave. I'm kind of embarrassed that he's going to pursue something with the commissioner. It's not like he was hurt at all, except maybe his feelings. Get over it. Let your actions speak for you.

He deserves every ounce of hate directed toward him

How does he do this with all this hidden talent? How on earth can he make such basic fundamental mistakes play after play ..week after week?

Wait wait. Let me guess. He's not playing his natural position, so of course he now tackles like a kid who never played the game before.

No excuse for his failings.

These things are taught to kids from the earliest levels on up. No one at this level should have to be taught any of this stuff.

~Bang

Keeping singing the point.

2-3 years down the road, assuming we're still going the same route, Orakpo will get the same thread. Why? Not because he can't play, but because he'll look just as bad as Landry looks now.

Frustration will set in, he'll stop playing to his ability, not because he can't play, but because he's been put in a position to be less than he could be.

Moreover, he'll see and hear from others in the league that this is not a league-wide phenomenon.

Meanwhile, he'll see lesser players exceed expectations. Don't think for one second he doesn't look at his draft class and those who came after and realizes that he's being poorly utilized and played out of position.

Meanwhile, he talks to other players and realizes, it's not the league, it's the team.

Orakpo could be a good SAM. He could also be an All-Pro pass rushing DE. With our front office the way it is, he'll never get the chance to be great at his natural position.

"Square pegs-Round holes."

Step 1: In the Vinny philosophy of football: Draft a player who is great, not good, great, at his position.

Step 2: Make him learn and play a different position because he has the talent to be good at that position. Not great. Just good.

Step 3: Have him play that position fairly well, but not excel.

Step 4: By year three he's frustrated, and not giving everything that made him great in college.

"Frustration, temptation, so bad it makes him cry."

It's the Vinny way. Learn it. Love it. Accept it.

Had Landry been able to remain at the strong instead of being shifted to free, we'd have a solid strong playing close to the line who was good if not great in close coverage.

Wasted talent. It's the new Redskins way. Nothing makes me more angry. :mad:

As an LSU football fan, I have to say you have no idea what you're talking about. As a Strong Safety ,Landry started 10 games his freshman season and started every game his last three years and was an All-SEC SS all four years of his college career, as well as First Team All-American and Jim Thorpe award semi-finalist his Senior year. During his time at LSU, we were considered one of the best defenses in college football largely due to the play of our secondary.

Still got love for my Tigers in the NFL though.

Hail.

pretty much every player from that defense has been average to a bust

As an LSU football fan, I have to say you have no idea what you're talking about. As a Strong Safety ,Landry started 10 games his freshman season and started every game his last three years and was an All-SEC SS all four years of his college career, as well as First Team All-American and Jim Thorpe award semi-finalist his Senior year. During his time at LSU, we were considered one of the best defenses in college football largely due to the play of our secondary.

All this being said, I do agree that has really blown it for us since his rookie season.

Im confused why so many redskins fans dont already know this. I scratch my head in shame when people say he was a FS in college

What progress did he show when Williams was here?

His biggest hits always cost us 15 yards.

~Bang

he played alot of cover 1 for Williams and only way if you are going to play for Williams is if you can tackle...

well I thought that tackling was kind of riding a bicycle... after you learn how to do it then you basically KNOW how to do it for rest of your life...

I guess there is always an exception...

So Landry was getting the job done under Williams but he really did regress. Maybe when earlier in the year when DeAngelo Hall was saying something about some guys thinking that they have arrived when they really havent yet... maybe he was talking about Landry...

and talking about D Hall... if Williams was here, I don't think we would have brought him in cause he can't tackle anything...

We could have had Adrian Peterson instead of Landry

Stems back to when we let go of Stephen Davis, he went on the help the panthers get to the superbowl, we ended up having to trade away champ bailey for Portis since we needed a back, then we ended up having to draft a replacement for Champ.

Stems back to when we let go of Stephen Davis, he went on the help the panthers get to the superbowl, we ended up having to trade away champ bailey for Portis since we needed a back, then we ended up having to draft a replacement for Champ.

hind sight is always 20/20

Wow, I thought it just me. There's no way you can even attempt to compare him to #21. Its as if every play he's out of position and the only time he ever really hits somebody they're either already down or out of bounds. But then again look at the entire secondary w/ their 10 yd cushions, aligator arms, and ghost tackling. Beyond the Carter,LFB,Orakpo, #52, and Haynesworth we could start from scratch on defensive. The CB's scare nor present a challenge to no one. What good is Hall's speed playing 10+ yds off at the snap and the missing the tackle. What kind of corner is Rogers? Coverage or zone, cause I don't see him as decent in either roll

Ugh.

Laron Landry was an All American STRONG safety in college.

Ugh, will this never end?

A quick search shows this for his senior year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview06/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2559509&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- There aren't many freshmen anywhere in Division I-A who can arrive on campus and start. For most of them, just getting from class to dorm to locker room is a good day. Free safety LaRon Landry not only proved himself good enough to start as a freshman but also started 10 games for the LSU team that won the 2003 national championship.
Three years later, Landry is the consensus pick as the top free safety in the nation.

This next part is from LSU sports on his previous years.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=174956

Played in all 14 games with 10 starts ... Started for the first time at cornerback against Mississippi State before shifting to strong safety for the Florida game ... Finally settled in as LSU's starting free safety for the final eight games of the season

Played and started all 12 games at free safety.

Played and started all 13 games at free safety.

Archived