Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honestly, We Should Cut Landry

WizSkinsO's

I'm still confused as to how people are saying Landry is playing out of position. SS is the position he has the least amount of experience with, and he wasn't that good at it.

As an LSU football fan, I have to say you have no idea what you're talking about. As a Strong Safety ,Landry started 10 games his freshman season and started every game his last three years and was an All-SEC SS all four years of his college career, as well as First Team All-American and Jim Thorpe award semi-finalist his Senior year. During his time at LSU, we were considered one of the best defenses in college football largely due to the play of our secondary.

All this being said, I do agree that has really blown it for us since his rookie season. Is it his own fault? Mostly. I agree with those that say Blache is not a guy that gets in players' faces and gets the most out of his players, and we can look at our ENTIRE secondary to see that. Terrible tackling discipline, terrible angles, just overall bad defensive play. Would it be a different story with a guy like Williams still here as DC? We'll never know because it probably won't be seen in the near future.

Still got love for my Tigers in the NFL though.

Hail.

Don't worry some of these posters will get their wish and then ***** and complain about Synder not keeping him. Ya'll can't have it both ways. What Landry needed was Gregg Williams not only coaching him up,but also getting in his face when he made poor decisions.

Maybe Jerry Gray becoming the D coordinator may change things.

Who knows??

*fingers crossed*

You hit it right on the nose, he definitely needs some better coaching right now. I know it won't happen but it would be nice to see snyder pull something outta his sleeve to get GW back. Blache's fire is nowhere close to his. None of the coaches seem to be correcting simple things with bump coverage obviously being one.

Landry was drafted to play SS and be a partner of Sean Taylor as the safeties of the future for the Redskins.

Do you think Gibbs and Gregg Williams would have suggested drafting Landry if he played the same position as Taylor? :)

The fact is the coaching staff has made some questionable calls about WHERE and HOW certain players are being used.

And it seems as if that is to cover other decisions that were made such as the one to pay Andre Carter all that money to be the rush end for the Skins on the DL.

When the Redskins cut Marcus Washington they should have had a backup plan in place to trade, sign or draft a replacement.

Instead they did the worst thing possible - draft a potential pro bowl talent and have him play out of position to cover the mistake at SAM.

Bobby Beathard would NEVER have done something like that.

Trade for a veteran SAM, sign a free agent at the mid-tier, play Blades on the strongside for 2009 with plans to upgrade in 2010.

But you don't take your Cadillac players and retard their development.

That's a loser's call.

Do you remember when #21 (RIP) played completely out of control and made stupid mistakes.

Then he got good, solid coaching from Gibbs and Gregg Williams, and it took a couple of seasons, but he turned into an all pro, and turned his life around. Remember when ST got a drunk driving arrest his rookie year, and Gibbs sat him for a week?

That doesn't exist any more. There is no tough love. There is no coaching. And players that have all the skills, don't get the coaching and growth they need to turn into pro bowl players.

Landry is still making the stupid penalties he made his rookie year.

Exactly, ST was just like this when he had no guidance. And Landry is showing us that Blache has no control over this defense. I didn't even see Blache yell at Landry for the late hit, or Hall for getting involved in the scrum. Blache is as much to blame as Landry is, bring in a coach who isn't scared to sit a guy and yell at him and this doesn't happen.

I wouldn't cut Landry but bench him. He's needs to know that his performance is not acceptable. He lacks discipline. Landry comes off as an arrogant punk who doesn't really care about winning games. He just want to put the big hit on someone (and end up failing) giving up big plays with his horrible angles and bad decision making.

I agree. He cannot tackle anyone. Always tries for the big hit instead of wrapping up.

This is a "technique" that our entire secondary uses. Until the 'technique' becomes something that our coaching staff addresses, it doesn't matter who we put in there. We are too laid back all the time on defense. We read and react. Until that changes, we're doomed.

As an LSU football fan, I have to say you have no idea what you're talking about. As a Strong Safety ,Landry started 10 games his freshman season and started every game his last three years and was an All-SEC SS all four years of his college career, as well as First Team All-American and Jim Thorpe award semi-finalist his Senior year. During his time at LSU, we were considered one of the best defenses in college football largely due to the play of our secondary.

I don't watch college football, but are you sure? A quick search shows this for his senior year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview06/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2559509&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- There aren't many freshmen anywhere in Division I-A who can arrive on campus and start. For most of them, just getting from class to dorm to locker room is a good day. Free safety LaRon Landry not only proved himself good enough to start as a freshman but also started 10 games for the LSU team that won the 2003 national championship.
Three years later, Landry is the consensus pick as the top free safety in the nation.

This next part is from LSU sports on his previous years.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=174956

Played in all 14 games with 10 starts ... Started for the first time at cornerback against Mississippi State before shifting to strong safety for the Florida game ... Finally settled in as LSU's starting free safety for the final eight games of the season

Played and started all 12 games at free safety.

Played and started all 13 games at free safety.

So, it's ESPN and LSU vs you.

wow.....I feel like a jack*** now. I was checking myself after accidently hitting post prematruely and I didn't recover in time.

My bad dude. I asked for that. I guess I got used to seeing him line up where the SS usually does, because LSU used to blitz him from then offensive right side A LOT. I accept my defeat in this one, lol.

wow.....I feel like a jack*** now. I was checking myself after accidently hitting post prematruely and I didn't recover in time.

My bad dude. I asked for that. I guess I got used to seeing him line up where the SS usually does, because LSU used to blitz him from then offensive right side A LOT. I accept my defeat in this one, lol.

No worries. A lot of people seem to say he was an SS. Maybe because he was drafted as one? Not many people would have been able to unseat Taylor.

ES Fails at posting the right posts, lol

Either way, I think that Landry, and the whole D for that matter, NEEDS a coach like GW to come in here and rattle their cages a little bit, because they just aren't playing up to what they're capable of. It's just unacceptable that the current state of this is the status quo for this defense right now.

I don't know too much about Jerry Gray, but there seems to be a lot of people that like him on these boards. Can someone direct me to a good place to find info on him or just straight give me some good info on him? I'm interested.

Hail.

We should just play him at SS for the rest of the year to show how productive he can be in the box. Let him build up his stats with tackles and sacks and then trade him in the offseason because as of right not I think we would be lucky to get a 3rd rd pick for him.

I agree to a point that it's the coaches fault for having him at the wrong position, for not getting in his ass for always trying to kill a player instead of just tackling him. and these STUPID !!!!!! penalties he's always getting, UNREAL!!!!!. Our whole secondary sucks for the most part.

the guy did have one REALLY great one on one tackle in the backfield today to save a 1st down.

But yea...he's definitely proving my jersey choice to be a bad one right now. The talent is there but the execution isn't. Usually that has a hell of a lot to do with coaching.

Angle and basic tackling are skills that are taught from the earliest levels.

Landry fails utterly in every single phase of his position.

His angles are horrible, completly off. So far off they're nearly comical. His ability to judge the point of contact is completely non-existant. He misses by YARDS. When he does get close to a tackler, he DIVES at their knees like a caricature of a real football player. Whenever he mans up to hit someone he gets knocked backwards,, it happened again today when he shouldered up on Turner during the first drive.

(OH, and that is on the relatively few hits he actually makes on players that are in bounds.)

When he posed up today after making his ONE tackle of the season, I wanted to piss on my television.

~Bang

Everyone talks about the big free agent signings ruining this team, but not signing Ryan

Clark to an extension was a big mistake that no one really talks about. You end up spending tons of money on Archuletta and using a top ten draft pick on Laron Landry.

Archived