Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Players ask front office to publicly endorse zorn

Hooper

"Sometimes it's tough, but at the same time you've got to try stand in there and continue to keep your eyes downfield," he said. "Try to feel the rush but try not to look at it. If you start to focus on the rush, you start to lose part of your game."

Thanks, Jason, glad to know it's still kinda tough for you to act like an NFL QB and not pay attention to the rush so that you can make plays downfield.

The key here is not so much that the players are supporting Zorn, it's that they seem somewhat unified in their criticism of ownership and the front office. Think about it. They're basically saying that as an organization, the leadership needs to be more steady and not allow the rumors and speculation to get out of hand. This is the PLAYERS saying this. I don't recall hearing such an outcry from players on any team in the past.

I'm not sure that I have ever heard players criticize their owner, or GM in any sport before.

Criticizing the coach, or other players? Sure, plenty of times.

But criticizing their own owner? The guy that cuts their checks?

Amazing. Truly amazing.

I'm not sure that I have ever heard players criticize their owner, or GM in any sport before.

Criticizing the coach, or other players? Sure, plenty of times.

But criticizing their own owner? The guy that cuts their checks?

Amazing. Truly amazing.

Another week of this, and it is all going to be on the record

Can you imagine a big name with a big contract like Chris Cooley calling out Dan Snyder directly?

Chris Samuels?

Portis?

DeAngelo Hall?

If someone has the balls to say it, on the record, what everyone at Redskins Park knows, that the organization is broken and its Dan Snyder's fault, they will forever be a Redskins hero.

And hopefully its someone with an untouchable contract. I'd dare Snyder to cut or trade Cooley if Cooley calls him out

Another week of this, and it is all going to be on the record

Can you imagine a big name with a big contract like Chris Cooley calling out Dan Snyder directly?

Chris Samuels?

Portis?

DeAngelo Hall?

If someone has the balls to say it, on the record, what everyone at Redskins Park knows, that the organization is broken and its Dan Snyder's fault, they will forever be a Redskins hero.

And hopefully its someone with an untouchable contract. I'd dare Snyder to cut or trade Cooley if Cooley calls him out

Would it really surprise you?

Dan seems like a total egomaniac to me, I think he'd be willing to take the hit to protect his ego.

The key here is not so much that the players are supporting Zorn, it's that they seem somewhat unified in their criticism of ownership and the front office. Think about it. They're basically saying that as an organization, the leadership needs to be more steady and not allow the rumors and speculation to get out of hand. This is the PLAYERS saying this. I don't recall hearing such an outcry from players on any team in the past.

QFT!

This F.O. has no sense of responsibility, accountability, or leadership. The players are basically calling them out for their cowardice and abdication of leadership in the face of adversity.

First 'Los says it's management's fault, then D. Hall says we don't have the right personnel, and now this. Equal parts amazing and unprecedented. Oh, and embarrassing. Really, really embarrassing.

I agree with those claming this WP article's title is not completely accurate; it's more about Skins players wanting resolution to all this media speculation because they don't want to be the ones questioned about something they have no control over.

Yet as you read further into the article, it's obvious a lot of the players still like Zorn -- and feel that he's getting blamed for things he shouldn't be blamed for. There are some endorsements for Zorn in all this.

But as a player just how loudly do you want speak up like that, if the coach may be gone tomorrow? What if Zorn is replaced by some interim coach like a defensive coordinator who've you admitted may not have gotten the most out of his talent? Or a special teams coach whose charges you conceded may have cost Zorn the Panther game? Nope, at these times it's duck and cover, and the players are having a hard time with that.

And what a foolish thing for Snyder to do -- prolonging the suspense, keeping everyone on pins and needles, completely emasculating his coaching staff, and paralyzing his players. That's a terrible way to run a business. This is behavior is more like someone trying to produce a soap opera, or mini-series.

I hope Snyder steps up and just slaps down all this media speculation. Dan needs to do the right thing and endorse Zorn for the entire year, and state that he's given Zorn every opportunity (including benching Campbell) to show how this team is pointed in the right direction and to prove Zorn's worth extending for a third year. After all, this franchise needs to ensure some consistency, as it develops a winning identity, without Campbell.

Bottom line -- this franchise needs stability both in the short run, and the long-run. And that won't be accomplished by Snyder and Cerrato hinting at the possible appearance of a new 'guest star' featured in a cameo role of Skins Head Coach for next season's edition of ..."All My Coaches." :doh:

My unsolicited advice to Dan Snyder -- Just tough it out and stick with Zorn. Concentrate your energies on finding him some decent linemen and a bona fide WCO QB.

Danny has put a tight lip on this because he is trying to decide what he wants to do plus he wants to wait until the end of the season just in case the team turns it around. He also wants to change his impression around the league and with potential new HC's.

In an uncapped year, nobody would have an untouchable contract. Snyder could unload any player he wants with no cap ramifications.

Actually, my dream as a fan of this team is that Snyder would hire a GM and that GM would have the power to use the uncapped year as an excuse to blow up the team and get rid of all these dead weight overpaid players.

I gotta be honest...I'm very impressed with the way the players are sticking up for Zorn. They've had every opportunity to throw him under the bus - it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he'll be gone by the end of the month. But still, even when given the opportunity, they aren't blaming Zorn.

I think this is the way the FO will change if the players the FA etc refuse to come here and site Vinny or Dan Snyder ... Remember Reggie White who did a wirlwind tour of the NFL but specifically ruled out the Redskins because of their FO .... Imagine if another high profile player did the same now ...but VERY publically told Danny to stuff it ...OR if our first round pick did a Eli and come out in the press and say they would rather never play football again rather than play for the Redskins ....

In an uncapped year, nobody would have an untouchable contract. Snyder could unload any player he wants with no cap ramifications.

Actually, my dream as a fan of this team is that Snyder would hire a GM and that GM would have the power to use the uncapped year as an excuse to blow up the team and get rid of all these dead weight overpaid players.

Wooo, now there's a threat for you. :)

Vinnie: OK Rogers, Hall and the rest of you bums that dared call out Lord Farquaad and me for our general suckiness. We're going to eat your contracts and let you go to a less dysfunctional team where you can get another fat signing bonus and have a shot at winning more than 6 games a season.

Entire Team: (jostling for position) Oooh oooh me first!!

Sorry as nice of a guy he is it's clear he's not growing into the head coach position. You can watch film from last year and the games from this year it's easy to see he's made little to no adjustments in his calling or thinking and is stubbornly trying to push forward in a system that doesn't work.

If Zorn is fired, Vinny has to go with him. He's the guy who said Zorn "blew them away in the interview" They knew he didn't have head coaching experience when he was hired. And they also knew the O-Line was a weakness, but still did not address it enough in the offseason. They set Zorn up for failure. If you are not going to give a guy with no previous head coaching experience a chance to grow in the job, then fire the people who picked him and didn't put the players in place to help him succeed.

Cerrato's gotta go!

Archived