Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: North Korea Threatens US As World Anticipates Missile (MET and please learn)

SiCkSoULjA

considering their leader shot like -158 his first time golfing despite acid rain and hurricane-strength winds, id say we are in some serious ****ing trouble

but all jokes aside - and i really will admit that i dont know as much about North Korea as im sure a lot here do - this kind of talk seems to be mainly directed towarsd its own people.

they read nothing other than "north korea could do this at any time if they wanted to" in their state-run papers, and with no other information it would be easy for them to believe in this false pretense of "power" and "buy into" (for lack of a better term) the system.

(as if they had a choice)

this statement makes me feel for the citizens of north korea more than it scares me.

To the best of my knowledge, North Korea do not have weapons that have a range of being able to hit the continental US. Hawaii would be the closest in the vacinity.

Don't discount the fact that it would be virtually impossible for them to launch any missles without us knowing. The missles would then be neutralized. Hussein tried the same thing with SCUD missles back in the day. We shot them down.

considering their leader shot like -158 his first time golfing despite acid rain and hurricane-strength winds, id say we are in some serious ****ing trouble

but all jokes aside - and i really will admit that i dont know as much about North Korea as im sure a lot here do - this kind of talk seems to be mainly directed towarsd its own people.

they read nothing other than "north korea could do this at any time if they wanted to" in their state-run papers, and with no other information it would be easy for them to believe in this false pretense of "power" and "buy into" (for lack of a better term) the system.

(as if they had a choice)

this statement makes me feel for the citizens of north korea more than it scares me.

You make a good point. Maybe they just want to make it seem like they could do something if they really wanted to, but would they? Would North Korea really want to try and start a war with the US, China, or Russia? I don't like their chances in either of those 3.

You guys really have to read into this for the truth.

The only map they have of the world is on a dry-erase board.

Kim's got his eraser handy.

(By the way, for any interested, we recorded the new episode of the Bang Cartoon Radio Hour last night, and Li'l Kim hijacks the studio for a while. Coming soon!)

~Bang

The story:

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea threatened Wednesday to wipe the United States off the map as Washington and its allies watched for signs the regime will launch a series of missiles in the coming days.

Off China's coast, a U.S. destroyer was tailing a North Korean ship suspected of transporting illicit weapons to Myanmar in what could be the first test of U.N. sanctions passed to punish the nation for an underground nuclear test last month.

The Kang Nam left the North Korean port of Nampo a week ago with the USS John S. McCain close behind. The ship, accused of transporting banned goods in the past, is believed bound for Myanmar, according to South Korean and U.S. officials.

The new U.N. Security Council resolution requires member states to seek permission to inspect suspicious cargo. North Korea has said it would consider interception a declaration of war and on Wednesday accused the U.S. of seeking to provoke another Korean War.

"If the U.S. imperialists start another war, the army and people of Korea will ... wipe out the aggressors on the globe once and for all," the official Korean Central News Agency said.

The warning came on the eve of the 59th anniversary of the start of the three-year Korean War, which ended in a truce in 1953, not a peace treaty, leaving the peninsula in state of war.

The U.S. has 28,500 troops in South Korea to protect against an outbreak of hostilities.

Tensions have been high since North Korea launched a long-range rocket in April and then conducted its second underground atomic test on May 25.

Reacting to U.N. condemnation of that test, North Korea walked away from nuclear disarmament talks and warned it would fire a long-range missile.

North Korea has banned ships from the waters off its east coast starting Thursday through July 10 for military exercises, Japan's Coast Guard said.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported Wednesday that the North may fire a Scud missile with a range of up to 310 miles (500 kilometers) or a short-range ground-to-ship missile with a range of 100 miles (160 kilometers) during the no-sail period.

A senior South Korean government official said the no-sail ban is believed connected to North Korean plans to fire short- or mid-range missiles. He spoke on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.

U.S. defense and counterproliferation officials in Washington said they also expected the North to launch short- to medium-range missiles. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.

South Korea will expedite the introduction of high-tech unmanned aerial surveillance systems and "bunker-buster" bombs in response to North Korea's provocations, the Chosun Ilbo newspaper said, citing unidentified ruling party members.

Meanwhile, a flurry of diplomatic efforts were under way to try getting North Korea to return to disarmament talks.

Russia's top nuclear envoy, Alexei Borodavkin, said after meeting with his South Korean counterpart that Moscow is open to other formats for discussion since Pyongyang has pulled out of formal six-nation negotiations.

In Beijing, top U.S. and Chinese defense officials also discussed North Korea. U.S. Defense Undersecretary Michele Flournoy was heading next to Tokyo and Seoul for talks.

South Korea has proposed high-level "consultations" to discuss North Korea with the U.S., Russia, China and Japan.

___

Associated Press writers Jae-soon Chang in Seoul; Pauline Jelinek, Pamela Hess and Lolita Baldor in Washington and Min Lee in Hong Kong contributed to this report.

To the best of my knowledge, North Korea do not have weapons that have a range of being able to hit the continental US. Hawaii would be the closest in the vacinity.

Don't discount the fact that it would be virtually impossible for them to launch any missles without us knowing. The missles would then be neutralized. Hussein tried the same thing with SCUD missles back in the day. We shot them down.

Actually, if I remember right, the success rate of those intercepts was very small.

I believe dwbiggs is right on this one. Patriot missiles were our defense against SCUDs in the Gulf War, and the success rate wasn't that high. I remember at least one incident where an American military building was hit, I want to say we lost 20+ soldiers in that one.

I read the ship name as the John McClain and I was like HOLY CRAP THATS THE GUY FROM DIE HARD!

Then I noticed it was John McCain which makes far more sense and felt like an idiot. Anyways...

If they want to wipe us off the map then they basically want to end the entire world. We have thousands of nuclear devices capable of blowing up the planet 1,000 times over, so do the Russians, so the the Chinese, so do plenty of other countries. I'm pretty sure we've been down this road before with a much more scary threat in Russia. Nobody is crazy enough to push the button because they know it is a death sentence for themselves.

Khrushchev: "We will bury you."

Zhu Chenghu: "We will turn Los Angeles into a cinder"

add N. Korea's "We'll wipe you off the map once and for all"

its all a bunch of BS

Don't forget he also invented the sandwich.

Actually, if I remember right, the success rate of those intercepts was very small.

Yes, back in 1990 the success rate was very small. I'm pretty sure we've gotten a lot better at it since then.

I read the ship name as the John McClain and I was like HOLY CRAP THATS THE GUY FROM DIE HARD!

Then I noticed it was John McCain which makes far more sense and felt like an idiot. Anyways...

If they want to wipe us off the map then they basically want to end the entire world. We have thousands of nuclear devices capable of blowing up the planet 1,000 times over, so do the Russians, so the the Chinese, so do plenty of other countries. I'm pretty sure we've been down this road before with a much more scary threat in Russia. Nobody is crazy enough to push the button because they know it is a death sentence for themselves.

Khrushchev: "We will bury you."

Zhu Chenghu: "We will turn Los Angeles into a cinder"

add N. Korea's "We'll wipe you off the map once and for all"

its all a bunch of BS

Don't doubt the man, he is going to launch missles in the direction of Hawaii.

I think he is going to send a real one at Japan or S.Korea.

If he does that as Arnold Schwarzenegger said in Commando..."All ****ing hell is gonna break loose."

I agree, North Korea, will no longer be N. Korea.

I think our government is being very quiet about this because the threat is very real. Based on his past, why would anyone not think the worse?

What about him transporting or selling nuclear parts to other countries that DO have the capability of hitting the U.S. ???

Since we're apparently not enforcing the ban on his ships carrying forbidden weapons materials.

Archived