Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: North Korea Threatens US As World Anticipates Missile (MET and please learn)

SiCkSoULjA

What about him transporting or selling nuclear parts to other countries that DO have the capability of hitting the U.S. ???

Since we're apparently not enforcing the ban on his ships carrying forbidden weapons materials.

As was stated in the last thread about this - the situation is a lot more complicated than you seem to be willing to acknowledge.

It goes far beyond not "enforcing" a ban.

As was stated in the last thread about this - the situation is a lot more complicated than you seem to be willing to acknowledge.

Let's be honest here, we're already involved in two conflicts, Iraq and Afghanistan. If we get involved rashly with North Korea, or do something "incorrect" in regards to them, we risk pissing off China and Russia. We may be a superpower, but it's not unlimited, and we can't afford to go to bat against everyone, not at the same time anyway.

Let's be honest here, we're already involved in two conflicts, Iraq and Afghanistan. If we get involved rashly with North Korea, or do something "incorrect" in regards to them, we risk pissing off China and Russia. We may be a superpower, but it's not unlimited, and we can't afford to go to bat against everyone, not at the same time anyway.

Exactly my point.

People seem to forget about consequences that could come from one bad or ill-timed decision.

Despite what many think we're not invincible.

I agree, and I am hoping the China or Russia get a little bit more aggressive in trying to persuade N Korea to stand down... I think in order for something to happen, they will need to initiate it.

I am just hoping something happens soon, because normally common sense would keep someone in check, but Kim Jong Il seems to be unstable enough to pretty much do anything...

I agree, and I am hoping the China or Russia get a little bit more aggressive in trying to persuade N Korea to stand down... I think in order for something to happen, they will need to initiate it.

I am just hoping something happens soon, because normally common sense would keep someone in check, but Kim Jong Il seems to be unstable enough to pretty much do anything...

Very true Pez...Kim Jong Il reminds me of a drunk in a bar who is looking to pick a fight with anyone in the room...and right now no one is trying to get him to settle down before things get ugly.

I agree that if we were to get our military involved with N. Korea, we would be at great risk of spreading ourselves too thin. That being said, if we are provoked, it's not just us they will be dealing with.

I agree that if we were to get our military involved with N. Korea, we would be at great risk of spreading ourselves too thin. That being said, if we are provoked, it's not just us they will be dealing with.

True...whatever happened to good old fashioned assassination?;) One sniper bullet from a mile away, and all that.

Of course, I know nothing about the kid that's been picked to be Il's successor. I remember one of the things about Iraq, a downside that was mentioned to taking out Saddam Hussein, was that his two sons were worse than he was. Does anyone know anything about this 26 year old that is supposed to take over when Il either dies or steps down?

True...whatever happened to good old fashioned assassination?;) One sniper bullet from a mile away, and all that.

Of course, I know nothing about the kid that's been picked to be Il's successor. I remember one of the things about Iraq, a downside that was mentioned to taking out Saddam Hussein, was that his two sons were worse than he was. Does anyone know anything about this 26 year old that is supposed to take over when Il either dies or steps down?

I don't know anything about him either, but that is always the concern. Even if the next guy is no crazier, what does it buy you to most likely be implicated in assassinating another country's leader?

Unless the whole government will topple with the death of the leader, it's really a high-risk/low-reward option.

Now that you have addressed the risk of enforcing the ban, I would like to see someone acknowledge and address the level of threat, that comes from N. Korea shipping dangerous weapons to other enemies of ours in closer proximity to us. Couldn't that be a greater threat, than policing their ships, and pissing some countries off ?

Now that you have addressed the risk of enforcing the ban, I would like to see someone acknowledge and address the level of threat, that comes from N. Korea shipping dangerous weapons to other enemies of ours in closer proximity to us. Couldn't that be a greater threat, than policing their ships, and pissing some countries off ?

There are other countries that could be supplying enemies or terrorists with WMD's.

The risk here isn't just "pissing some countries off".

Making the wrong move and ending up in a war with North Korea at the present time would be a huge risk.

It is a huge threat.

We've got technology that can allow us to look from a distance through the ships to see the makeup of what is inside. It's been used since 9-11 to inspect trucks and cargo containers. I'd say if they had nuclear material on this ship to Myanmar we'd know it and would have stopped it.

As it is we have not detected nuclear material, and even though ANY arms is a violation, this ship is simply the finger poke in the shoulder, designed to provoke a response.

While I agree it is not a good idea to let even that slide (give an inch, they take a mile theory) it's a dicey game to decide when to start the war.

~Bang

Exactly my point.

People seem to forget about consequences that could come from one bad or ill-timed decision.

Despite what many think we're not invincible.

Hasn't everyone already agreed that IF N.Korea sends a missle in the direction of Hawaii, this action would be considered a act of war?

I am pretty sure we already have China and Russias support when it comes to the little prick.

North Korea is going to wipe the US off of the map once and for all?

Thanks for the advance notice. You've just saved me a ton of money since there's no need to send in my mortgage payment now. ;)

And you just saved 15% or more on your car insurance.

There are other countries that could be supplying enemies or terrorists with WMD's.

The risk here isn't just "pissing some countries off".

Making the wrong move and ending up in a war with North Korea at the present time would be a huge risk.

It wouldn't be much of a war, it would be air strikes destroying potential missle locations. I don't think anyone has a plan to invade N. Korea.

Hasn't everyone already agreed that IF N.Korea sends a missle in the direction of Hawaii, this action would be considered a act of war?

No, we agreed that it depends on how close it gets to Hawaii, not just sending one in the "direction" of Hawaii, say landing like 2000 miles away.

It is a huge threat.

We've got technology that can allow us to look from a distance through the ships to see the makeup of what is inside. It's been used since 9-11 to inspect trucks and cargo containers. I'd say if they had nuclear material on this ship to Myanmar we'd know it and would have stopped it.

As it is we have not detected nuclear material, and even though ANY arms is a violation, this ship is simply the finger poke in the shoulder, designed to provoke a response.

While I agree it is not a good idea to let even that slide (give an inch, they take a mile theory) it's a dicey game to decide when to start the war.

~Bang

This post makes me wonder how many times Navy Seals have been in contact with these N.Korean ships carrying supposed nuclear material.

I guess N. Korea can talk all they want. I'm sure in their eyes they have already defied the Great America. My question is: why start a fight with Mike Tyson, when you are Michael Spinx.

The only problem is that we haven't fought like Mike Tyson in a very long time.

Thats not your fault, mine, or anybody serving presently. It's washington and all of its bureaucracy . Simply put, they wont let us do what we need to do to annihilate our opponents like the old days.

If we invaded Korea we would likely get massacred because that guy is a nut and would nuke his own people if it meant killing us in the process. Now what should really be done is that we nuke him and all of those crazy North Koreans first, but that would never happen. But that would be the only way to beat them, because he's crazy and would kill everyone if we set foot on there first...

The only problem is that we haven't fought like Mike Tyson in a very long time.

Thats not your fault, mine, or anybody serving presently. It's washington and all of its bureaucracy . Simply put, they wont let us do what we need to do to annihilate our opponents like the old days.

If we invaded Korea we would likely get massacred because that guy is a nut and would nuke his own people if it meant killing us in the process. Now what should really be done is that we nuke him and all of those crazy North Koreans first, but that would never happen. But that would be the only way to beat them, because he's crazy and would kill everyone if we set foot on there first...

Wait, what?

Didn't we march right into Iraq and Afghanistan in the past 8 years losing very minimal troops?

You are right, we aren't fighting like Tyson, cause Tyson's a chump. We are fighting like Ali in his prime.

Tough crowd round these parts.

Wait, what?

Didn't we march right into Iraq and Afghanistan in the past 8 years losing very minimal troops?

You are right, we aren't fighting like Tyson, cause Tyson's a chump. We are fighting like Ali in his prime.

Tough crowd round these parts.

I guess it depends what you mean by minimal.

I found this one on the Iraq War: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3359080/

Archived