Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals - Playoff Hockey - Next Season Guys! Congrats!

Springfield

the caps had better shore up their D if they hope to make out past round 2.
AMEN! If I were coaching, Poti would be my healthy scratch each night. That man has turned into a human turnover machine. his +/- has to be -10 over the last 5 games. He was really strong early in the season, but lately he has been full of :doh:.

AMEN! If I were coaching, Poti would be my healthy scratch each night. That man has turned into a human turnover machine. his +/- has to be -10 over the last 5 games. He was really strong early in the season, but lately he has been full of :doh:.

I'd rather scratch Shultz. I think Poti is probably the best all around defensman on the team.....I've only been watching hockey for a little over a year though...so what do I know?

I'd rather scratch Shultz. I think Poti is probably the best all around defensman on the team.....I've only been watching hockey for a little over a year though...so what do I know?
Poti has given up WAY too many goals lately. He was on ice for 3 the other night (I wanna say the L 4-1 @ Carolina). I think Morrison is the best true defensman, but without a doubt Green is the best all around. 30 goals, 18 on the PP, and a +24 prior to yesterdays game (those PP points don't factor into +/-). Those are redonculous numbers.

Poti has given up WAY too many goals lately. He was on ice for 3 the other night (I wanna say the L 4-1 @ Carolina). I think Morrison is the best true defensman, but without a doubt Green is the best all around. 30 goals, 18 on the PP, and a +24 prior to yesterdays game (those PP points don't factor into +/-). Those are redonculous numbers.

Green is 90% offensive to me....he is definitely our best defender in a player in general sense, but I'd rather have Poti or Erskin back there if we had the lead w/ the game on the line and 1 minute left.

If you forgot how intense the playoffs were last year, many of us who were at Game 1 really thought the roof would blow off

You couldn't hear a thing

Game 1 was LOUD on tv as well. If I had to guess, I'd say that if were on an even scale, that it'd have been equal to a game at Arrowhead.

Green is 90% offensive to me....he is definitely our best defender in a player in general sense, but I'd rather have Poti or Erskin back there if we had the lead w/ the game on the line and 1 minute left.

I'd have Green and Schultz no question. Poti has been absolutely horrible lately and has quickly gone from our "most reliable defenseman" to a guy who should be up in the pressbox. He's really been that bad. I don't think he will be scratched ofcourse, because he can play in all situations where others like Jurcina normally don't. But man, it has gotten to the point where you'd rather see John Erskine get more ice time than Poti.

Green's defensive ability is so underrated by almost everyone; it's ridiculous. The guy is a plus 24, he plays 26 minutes a night so there's no chance that he's not out there against the opposition's top guys, he's the top D on the team in takeaways, he's 2nd on the entire team in blocked shots despite missing a bunch of games, and his average goals against when he's on the ice is better than both Zdeno Chara and Nicklas Lidstrom, by a pretty decent margin too, in fact it's the best among defenseman in the entire NHL. If you want to say that he uses his offense to help his defense than sure, absolutely he does. He keeps the puck out of his net mainly by pinning the other team deep in their zone with his offensive ability, but in the end isn't it the job of the defenseman to keep the puck out of his net? That seems like the point to me and this year no defenseman has been better at doing that than Mike Green. Add on being the first defenseman to score 30 goals since 1993, and the first defenseman to average a point per game since Brian Leetch in over a decade, plus winning the defenseman scoring race outright, and I think you have your Norris trophy winner right there.

The way he does it may be "unorthodox" but people aren't calling Tim Thomas a bad goalie because he plays an unorthodox style, he keeps the puck out of the net and that's what it's about. The same should hold true for a defenseman like Green.

Green's defensive ability is so underrated by almost everyone; it's ridiculous. The guy is a plus 24, he plays 26 minutes a night so there's no chance that he's not out there against the opposition's top guys, he's the top D on the team in takeaways, he's 2nd on the entire team in blocked shots despite missing a bunch of games, and his average goals against when he's on the ice is better than both Zdeno Chara and Nicklas Lidstrom, by a pretty decent margin too, in fact it's the best among defenseman in the entire NHL. If you want to say that he uses his offense to help his defense than sure, absolutely he does. He keeps the puck out of his net mainly by pinning the other team deep in their zone with his offensive ability, but in the end isn't it the job of the defenseman to keep the puck out of his net? That seems like the point to me and this year no defenseman has been better at doing that than Mike Green. Add on being the first defenseman to score 30 goals since 1993, and the first defenseman to average a point per game since Brian Leetch in over a decade, plus winning the defenseman scoring race outright, and I think you have your Norris trophy winner right there.

I agree with everything stated right here.

Poti has to have a nagging injury, I can't believe how bad he has played lately. Penguins are trying to slip from 6th to 7th. :) What a bunch of tools. Should be very interesting to see how this race turns out in the next few days.

SHF, thats an awesome pic, I can't believe I didn't see that last year.

I hope I can score some tickets to game one again this year. I'm a lucky fella and things usually work out my way. Hope this one does too.

I've got 4 locked up already for game 1 :groupwave: Cant goto them all like last year, but hope to make it to at least one game in each series. And as my sig says....

Schultz has been playing well lately. Taking up space on the ice and getting in people's way. He's even bringing in some physical play. I like what I've seen from him lately.

The other funny thing, and I know it's been brought up before, is that back in the day the North Americans absolutely loathed the Soviet hockey players and thought that they were robots becaused they never smiled or showed any enthusiasm on the ice. The Canadians were jumping all over each other when they beat them in the Canada Cup in 87, and that's how you were "supposed" to play and act as a hockey player. Now apparently Don Cherry is saying it's the exact opposite, weird.

That's because you are using logic, which is good, it's just not Don Cherry's logic, where anything that is not Canadian is crap.

Also, you note how Russians where called robots, but Ovech has the best personality of any NHL superstar in recent memory. Sidney is a monotone machine when he has a microphone in his face "we give 110%" "play as hard as you can" "we don't look ahead to the next game, we are focusing on the 2 periods left in this one". For some dumb reason, people have taught these kids not to speak their minds, reveal any emotion or even listen to the questions asked, and just spit out the cliche's, and then wonder why hockey doesn't appeal to a broader audience than the hard core hockey fan. If these guys would let the general public know they are human, I think you would see more casual fans showing up or watching games.

Poti has to have a nagging injury, I can't believe how bad he has played lately. Penguins are trying to slip from 6th to 7th. :) What a bunch of tools. Should be very interesting to see how this race turns out in the next few days.

per Tarik:

Poti Out Tonight

Defenseman Tom Poti won't suit up tonight in Atlanta and will instead rest the groin muscle that's dogged him most of the season. Poti said the injury, which has forced him to the sideline three times for a total of 26 games, started to bother him again about two weeks ago but he continued to play through the nagging pain.

Now that the Caps have clinched the Southeast Division, however, Poti and the team have decided it's time to give it a rest ahead of the playoffs, which start next week.

"We're being smart about it this time," Poti said.

Archived