Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Official Quitting Smoking Thread

Titaw

I am on a sabatical form most posting here now, but wanted to jump in and say that I'm still going strong at nearly 42 days with no smokes.

Thats 840 cigs that I didnt smoke and more than $200 I havnt spent.

Listen to Titaw and Jeffschmeff, the book is gold....pure gold.

It's amazing isn't it?

Knowing you will NEVER smoke another cigarette in your life.

I have to say that it has been nearly a year and I honestly can say that I have forgotten what it is like to smoke.

It truly does take a full year to get over smoking because you have to reprogram yourself. There have been times like the holidays where smoking crossed my mind before events. As soon as the event started, the uneasiness of not smoking subsided and didn't think about it at all.

the real challenge ia comin up...goin back to richmond

just walking around campus, im sure ill be like uugghh, literally evwryone around me is gonna be smoking and im afraid it will be real tempting

two nights ago, i even had a dream bout giving in and taking a drag of a cig haha. well see what happens tho. i may even have to tel my friends to refuse giving me a cigarette if i end up tryig to get one off of them sometime in the future.

I quit smoking recently after I started my freshman year of college so I guess I smoked about a pack a day for 5 years. I don't get cravings any more except when I'm around my friends who are heavy smokers. It sucks but I just limit the amount of time I'm with them, especially when we're drinking.

A key for me to learn was not to make a big ceremony or production out of smoking a cigarette. So many times I was like, alright, this is my last cigarette, let me enjoy it and then never again will I smoke. Inevitably, you always end up smoking another one eventually and you end up losing confidence in your ability to quit. It helped when I finally accepted that I didn't have to swear to never smoke another cigarette in my life to finally stop being a smoker. If I was drunk at a bar one night with my friends and desperately craving a cigarette, I'd bum one, smoke it, and then be done with it and it would be out of my mind. But the key is, I made a commitment to never buy a pack of cigarettes again, nor do I live with any other smokers. So I just never had them around.

Eventually, I went from smoking about a pack a day down to a handful a day, down to a handful every couple of days, to one or two a week, to the point now where it's been a month or two since I smoked. Now I can actually take it or leave it with cigarettes and if I do bum another one, I'm not afraid of falling off the wagon and going back to smoking. I'd stopped finding smoking pleasurable some time before I was able to cut down so much, and now I no longer have that physical addiction compelling me to do it so I just don't. Making something so forbidden in my mind actually made it harder to resist. The key for me in the end was making that firm commitment to never buy cigarettes again and thus never keeping them around.

BTW, do you go to VCU? I went to UR, but spent a great deal of time downtown in those parts. Everyone really does smoke there, and if you really struggle with quitting, an eventual change in environment could really help. I think part of the reason it was relatively easy for me to quit smoking was because hardly anyone smoked at UR and then when I graduated and moved, I wasn't around smokers except for a few of my close friends. It's a strong motivational tool when you're surrounded by people who think you are ugly when you smoke.

I truly am here for you because honestly this board helped me through the "worst" of it. If you ever feel like you need a smoke just post here in the thread and hopefully one of us will be able to "talk you down". just remember there's no such thing as just one and you'll be fine.

I appreciate the support. I just have to get past the initial withdrawal symptoms and I will be fine. And there is a such thing as just one and I say that because as long as I dont buy any more cigarettes, its a lot harder for me to ask my neighbor for a cigarette if I need to help curb the withdrawal. He knows I am quitting plus I hate feeling like a mooch. I just keep focusing on the money that I am not spending and it will help me get there. The driving time is the worst right now. I also chose now because I have projects to do around the house to keep me busy so I dont think about it so much. I smoke more when I have nothing to do. Its a boredom thing.

Had 2 cigarettes yesterday with my neighbor. Got past the initial withdrawal symptoms so my body doesnt have that desire any more. If I have one here and there, I have no problem with that at all. I refuse to buy them so if I stick to that I will be good. My reason was the money I was spending so I dont get upset about smoking one here and there that doesnt cost me anything. Difference of opinion from those who quit for health reasons Im sure! Once I am sure I am not going to spend any more on cigarettes, I can take that money and put it towards a car payment to replace my wife's car.

• 2 weeks later...

I quit two summers ago cold turkey. Came down to a decision I had to make with myself. Decided I wasn't going to let cigarettes get the best of me anymore, got mad at myself for allowing it, and decided it was a battle I was going to win.

Ultimately....it all comes down to a decision...the decision of whether or not to allow it to run and ruin your life. Take a stand against it...get mad at it...make the decision to kick some cigarette ass.

Good luck to all that want and need to quit.

• 3 weeks later...
Today is a year for me of no smoking. Not a drag, nothing. I'm pretty proud of myself and am happy that chapter of my life is closed. I feel like it was so long ago that I can hardly remember what it felt like to smoke. Anyway, just patting myself on the back. :)

Wifey and I are 11 months in and we are taking the money we saved and celebrating one year in Vegas next month. I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to remember what it is like to be a smoker.

Wifey and I are 11 months in and we are taking the money we saved and celebrating one year in Vegas next month. I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to remember what it is like to be a smoker.

That's great stuff. I just realized that when I told you about the book I was only a month or so in, which shows how confident I was. Crazy.

That's great stuff. I just realized that when I told you about the book I was only a month or so in, which shows how confident I was. Crazy.

What's crazier is when you suggested the book I bought it, no questions asked. Best decision of my life. I can't believe that I took your endorsement without one question.

• 3 weeks later...

So, next week I'll be in Vegas celebrating ONE EFFING YEAR!! You guys have no clue how excited an proud I am. I am welling up right now and I truly can't thank everyone in this thread for the support. No matter what you posted, it helped me. JeffSchmeff I owe you, BIG TIME. If it wasn't for your suggestion of the book I probably would have cracked and smoked a cig. LaxBuddy21, I owe you as well. Our debates allowed me to talk about what I was reading and helped me learn. Zoony, your constant encouragement ever single time this thread was bumped made me realize that even though I have NEVER met you in person, you honestly care. EVERYONE that posted in this thread, even if I didn't mention your name, you helped, know that!

To all that I have inspired keep it up! If I can do it anyone can, hold yourself accountable and tell as many people that you care about that you are quitting, for the first few weeks, months, hell the first year, let them know how everything is going. Everytime you get a craving think of them and if you take a drag you will be letting them down.

After the year is official I will be changing the name of the thread to the "OFFICIAL: ES MEMBERS QUITTING SMOKING THREAD" where members can come and quit for good! Everytime a milestone is reached I will update the title and the OP to note the milestone. FYI milestones are ANYTHING. One Week, Four Days, Thrre Months Two Years, Christmas, etc. I don't care because at least you can come here to this thread and know that someone does care and truly wants you to succeed.

With tears in my eyes, thank you, all of you! I would not have been able to do it without you

Good job Titaw! Keep up the good work. Don't get suckered back into it over some typical stressful situation. I quit a couple times for a few years at a time and started again. This time it's be 21 years. I quit the same time that I quit drinking and drugs.

I just quit drinking coffee and diet coke January 1. I've felt like a slug for the last couple months but I'm starting get some energy going now. Again Congrats and well done!

Titaw, Good Luck!

It does get easier. I smoked for nearly 25 years and have all but quit. I am still having troubles being around people that smoke and my true weakness is when I drink (still havent conquered that monster). But as far as the day to day, I have that beat. I still get urges from time to time but a quick brush of the teeth or a mint usually fixes it.

If you need to yell at someone that understands just let me know.

agreed. I smoked a pack/pack and half a day for 18 years. I quite cold turkey when my son was born. The cravings subside after two weeks. I couldn't go to a bar for about two months. Between drinking and driving (not together) those are the two biggest hurdles. Bottom line, if you don't really want to quit you won't. I tried to quit probably 10 times before it stuck. Good luck!

***probably should have read the whole thread....congrats on your success!!!!

Congrats man - I'm proud of you!! It's a great feeling, isn't it? To anyone trying to quit, and even to people that have quit, I'd recommend the book. It takes away the desire so much that drinking isn't even a risk situation - you just don't want them. Congrats again, and good luck in Vegas!

Its been over 3 months for both my wife and I and we will never go back. The book was amazing! Since #ecember, we've ,oaned it out to 4 family members who were multi packaday smokers. All 4 are done too

****ing AWESOME!!!!

I am so happy for you guys and your family. So far this book has helped 3 board members and 5 family members that I know of. If you don't believe that reading a book will help you quit, there's som legit proof.

Congrats SnyderShrugged, I'm proud of ya!!!

Thanks man! I never would have believed how easy it would be!

****ing AWESOME!!!!

I am so happy for you guys and your family. So far this book has helped 3 board members and 5 family members that I know of. If you don't believe that reading a book will help you quit, there's som legit proof.

Congrats SnyderShrugged, I'm proud of ya!!!

Congrats! Really happy for you. I was doing well and then went back because of the stupid snow. Gonna try again next week. Might have to actually pick up the book since it has helped so many people. I am worried it will just agitate me more and make me want a cigarette though...lol My reasons for quitting are not the same as most in that the health concerns really dont bother me. Hopefully you keep it up and will forever be an ex smoker!

Archived