Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Official Quitting Smoking Thread

Titaw

Hear, hear! :D

I have been a smoker for 24.5 years. I have tried to quit dozens of times. I've tried Zyban, Chantix, patches, gum, homeopathic, and gimmick methods. On Christmas day I had my last cigarette. This is the longest I've been without a cigarette since I started smoking. These e-cigarettes are a life saver. Literally.

I have been using the patches, and when I get the cravings I use an e-cigarette. I started with step 1 (21mg) patches and 1.8% e-cigs and have been stepping them down on a weekly basis. Today I'm switching to step 3 (7mg) patches and I'm using the last of my 1.2% cigs before I step them down to .6%. I figure in another month I'll be down to no nicotine at all. Then I plan on getting the chocolate cartridges. From the testimonials, users say that the flavored ones are just like eating the candy and satisfy their sweet tooth but no calories.

Good for you! Hang in there. The cravings will soon be over!

For those that are still smoking, or those that need further incentive to quit, there's an interesting article on the Richmond Times Dispatch front page today about smoking & healthcare:

"The Affordable Care Act allows health insurers to charge smokers buying individual policies up to 50 percent higher premiums starting next Jan. 1. For a 55-year-old smoker, the penalty could reach nearly $4,250 a year. A 60-year-old could wind up paying nearly $5,100 on top of premiums."

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/national-world/penalty-could-keep-smokers-out-of-health-overhaul/article_06e89eb9-18cd-582a-b2a0-f410c5765714.html

I'm not trying to derail this by getting into a political debate about healthcare. I just want to point out penalties for health insurance that are coming next January 1st for smokers.

• 1 month later...
Maybe tomorrow. :ols:

Something changed in me and I need to get my mind and body right again. I tend to go through very dramatic cycles, but I didn't notice much change in me this time and I feel good and balanced. It'll happen soon come.

Take a deep breath (without a cigarette!), flush all of your smokes, then go take a nice long walk on the beach. Sit and watch the waves rolling on the shoreline. Breathe in the air and remember all of the reasons you quit.

I've never been a smoker but I've been around alot of my family who have successfully quit smoking. You have to get your mind right. Any addiction starts with you 100% wanting to quit. Any doubt that you want to and you will not be able to. Both my parents were 40 and 44 when they quit. They had smoked for close to 30 years. They are 65 and 69 now and been smoke free for 25 years and did it cold turkey. No aids, no patches. They just decided it was time. If you can convince your mind that you don't need it, you can quit. Come on KB, get your mind right. You went 6 months. You can do it again.

You can do it kb we pulling for you! I myself was a smoker for about 8 years between cigs and black and milds and one day on TV a show came on and was smoking a cig and it was a horrendous show to see if you was a smoker, I wish I could find it because it happened to be about tobacco and cigs. Immediately I threw my pack away put that cig out and haven't bought a pack since. There was times I would bum one but that's been well over a year. Must do it for yourself and wanna do it to succeed though

• 7 months later...

I don't want to say that I quit but I haven't smoked a cigarette in 5 days.

I had to have a tooth extracted and of course they told me I couldn't smoke for a couple of days. Here I am 5 days later (6 being technical) still not smoking. I'm afraid that if I declare that I quit then I'll beat myself up if I have any miscues. So, as of now, I just haven't smoked any.

I'm planning on having a cigar or two this weekend when I'm drinking. I figure that will help me avoid any cravings when I'm drunk.

I will be at 1.5 years without a cigarette in 2 weeks. 

Being around others doing it made it difficult at times, so after a year or so I did buy e-cigs (Blu) a few times. They would last me a month which was great, but I also tried to keep those limited by not having them in every social situation and I moved beyond those early this past summer. They were a good coping mechanism that helped prevent any relapse because social situations where you're drinking and others are smoking are very tempting, perhaps the most tempting. Mentality is the biggest thing to stay off, just sheer will power and remembering what they can cause, and knowing how bad they make you stink, how much money they cost, and how unnecessary they are is a big help.

We're trying the "quit drinking first" method. 

E-cigs are great, until your husband leaves his in a hotel room on a business trip...

Best of the best luck...I've been wanting to quit for 22 years, and even after 17 days without one many years ago, the first thing I did was light up a severely stale one.  Addiction sucks.

7 days today. Cold turkey. After a pack / pack and a half a day for 15 years.

Sucks royally!!!!  Physically, emotionally the single hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

Immediately noticed the wheezing went away, food tastes wierd (KFC is putrid now....*sigh*), and other changes.

If not a cigar, is an e cig a viable option while drinking?

I didn't really want to smoke a e cig because that would be putting nicotine into my lungs where as smoking a cigar would just be in my mouth.

people have had success with them, but to me, you are prolonging the agony with an e-cig. you're addicted to nicotine, which is why you smoke(d). using an e-cig is maintaining your addiction while you break the physical habit of smoking. both can be tough to break, but it is the addiction that is the real kicker. to me it makes more sense to fight the addiction first and then focus on the habit. granted, for me as a dipper, i could buy some fake dip and not have to break the habit of dipping while i was fighting the addiction to nicotine. not sure if there are similar products for cigs or not, but they would have to be 100% nic free. once the addiction is under control, the habit will be easier to break.

just my two cents. today is day 893 without nicotine, and the freedom tastes delicious.

For everyone who is quitting, please read "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr.  This book changed my life and I have been smoke free for 4 plus years and have 0 desire to go back.  The book doesn't take the approach of it's bad for you. it tells you about the addiction and why you smoke and how to defeat "the little monster".  It's a quick and easy read and cheap as hell too.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking/dp/1402718616/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382683307&sr=8-3&keywords=the+easy+way+to+stop+smoking+by+allen+carr

• 2 weeks later...

Well I haven't smoked in two weeks and a few days.

I get occasional cravings but they pass. I suppose I've been more irritable than usual (as possibly noted in the game day thread today). That's about it for the withdrawal except for one major thing.

I'm not pooping as regularly as I used to and it bugs the hell out of me. I feel like I'm going to gain weight like a boss. This is especially troubling because I just spent 6 months getting down to the weight I wanted to be at (lost 30 lbs).

I'm going to be pissed if I can't **** and I blimp out.

I did smoke the cigars when I was drinking this weekend and last. Not very satisfying so I smoked less cigars (Black and Mild) this weekend than last.

I'm about ready to start taking some ex-lax for real though.

It's been two months now and I can only credit the e-cig for the easiest experience in quitting I've had.  My view is that an addiction to nicotine wasn't the main issue with smoking, it was the nasty stuff produced by combustion.  I do wish there was more information about the health effects of ecigs and standardization in the production of juice.  I had tried an e-cig (the cigarette looking kind) about 5 years ago and it sucked but the new ones (I have a Kanger Evod) really work well.  Satisfies the hand and inhaling urge almost as good as a real cig.  Unless I find out they're really bad for you in the future I plan on keeping it up for the time being.  My urge to light up a real one is close to nil.

I really am starting to feel a LOT better.

Hit the 1 year mark on 10/11 - My wife was buying her mom an e-cig to try and I told her to get an extra.  Didn't even finish the pack that I had when I got the e-cig.  Cheaper and feel a lot better.  I still get the nicotine but the thousands of other chemicals aren't there.  Strongly suggest going to the e-cig if you are trying to quit.

I like the idea of an e cig but it doesn't really feel like quitting to me. You're still addicted to something it's just not a cigarette. Like a guy I know who quick smoking cigarettes but still smokes cigars and chews tobacco.

Is replacing cigarettes with e cigs, chew or cigars really that much more healthy for you?

I like the idea of an e cig but it doesn't really feel like quitting to me. You're still addicted to something it's just not a cigarette. Like a guy I know who quick smoking cigarettes but still smokes cigars and chews tobacco.

Is replacing cigarettes with e cigs, chew or cigars really that much more healthy for you?

nicotine is very addictive and can lead to high blood pressure, same with caffeine but is a little more worse than that. No addiction is good but the tar and thousands of chemicals and poisons from cigarettes are not in ecigs. Plus it doesn't smell, you can limit yourself because you aren't smoking a full cigarette but just getting the couple nicotine hits your body is use to.

I smokes for 10 years and the longest I had gone was 2 days without a cigarette. There's been times with the ecigs I have gone multiple days and week at a time without it.

To me it's been easy to switch and then as you dwindle the amount of nicotine down since you aren't smoking full cigs then the easier it is to get off the ecigs too

Archived