Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Official Quitting Smoking Thread

Titaw

Since the thread got bumped...doctors' orders that I quit. I've smoked for 30 years. Got the Nicotrol inhalers (again), just gotta get up the nerve to do it (again). I know I can't go cold turkey, so I began the weening process about a week ago. Wish me luck.

Since the thread got bumped...doctors' orders that I quit. I've smoked for 30 years. Got the Nicotrol inhalers (again), just gotta get up the nerve to do it (again). I know I can't go cold turkey, so I began the weening process about a week ago. Wish me luck.

Totally serious mary, try that book. Just read it with no pressure at all. If nothing else, it makes the mind ripe for change.

Totally serious mary, try that book. Just read it with no pressure at all. If nothing else, it makes the mind ripe for change.

Thanks, SS. I clicked the link and read the reviews, so I will get a copy. If it's worked for everyone else, I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks, SS. I clicked the link and read the reviews, so I will get a copy. If it's worked for everyone else, I'll give it a whirl.

Cool, dont get me wrong, its not a magic hypnotic thingy that will make you not have any desire to smoke, bu it does put your mind in a place where you have deeper understanding of what and why you are feeling certain ways and allows you to cope with realism.

I have a friend that did it by hypnosis, said it was the best $40 he ever spent, because the desire really went away. But if I can do it by myself, I would count that as a bigger accomplishment.

I know you can! Hey, if you need someone to lean/vent/rant/cry on through the process, please feel free to PM me. (I can give you my phone number too if you want it).

proud of you!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been just over 3 weeks and not only have I not smoked a single cigarette, but I haven't even had one urge to smoke.

I'm still drinking coffee and going out to the bar every once in a while, so I'm not dodging anything.

I just remind myself the anxiety attacks only last 3-5 minutes and I trained myself to be a smoker, I can train myself to be a nonsmoker, it'll just take time. Lots of it, but it's time I have to burn.

The last week, my chest has gotten really tight, my heart races a bit and I can't breath very well at all. I was jogging and exercising, but I'm having trouble with that now.

It'll pass, it'll get easier and I'll excel.

Like I said before. Mind over matter. I've never been a smoker, but I know both my parents quit and went cold turkey after being 20+ year smokers. Mom was a pack a day, Dad was a pack and a half to 2 a day. They've both been smoke free for 25 years. Dad is 69 and Mom is 65.

You guys can do it. I wish you well in kicking the habit. We need our fellow Redskin fans around for a long time. Like KB13 said, just keep retraining your mind to do it.

Some thoughts on quitting (after 6 months):

• You have to be ready
  • You can't make yourself be ready
  • Get the help you think will work for you
  • It's OK to relapse; just think of all the smokes you didn't have between the official last one and the relapse
  • Keep trying
  • Change your identity; for me it went from dedicated 1/2 pack a day unfiltered Luckies smoker to non-smoker (just like I was until I was 20)
  • Make it through those five minute cravings and you'll be able to stay smoke-free

For me it went like this: I knew I should quit, but I still loved smoking, especially the flavor and the feeling. I talked to my doctor, who explained all the methods to me. Since I know certain types of support will work for me and my personality and others won't I settled on Chantix only (no counseling, no nicotine replacement, etc.). He also urged me to pick a date (the month and year) as a target for quitting. I did and I started taking the Chantix. After about 3 weeks of Chantix the pleasure of smoking wasn't there like it had been, though it was still a bit there (probably by association). I had just started a new job and had to travel on business, so I decided to quit on the trip since it would be a pain in the butt to get in my smoking due to travel and business meetings. I put my partially finished pack in the freezer and off I went.

It's been 6 months. I've been tempted, and that's not so easy, though it's getting better. I did do a few things to challenge myself, including telling the smokers I know not to coddle me - just light up like I'm still smoking. I want to be challenged and still resist. I allow myself the occasional crappy cigar (unless you're offering something better :) ). I also told myself right up front that I was allowed to have one cigaretter per month. I haven't really been tempted to do it, but I did that because for me one of the most difficult things was knowing that I'd never be able to have a cigarette again; if I say I can have one per month, that thought goes away. Not to mention that with each passing month the smokes I stashed in the freezer become staler and less tempting.

That's what is working for me. If you haven't quit and don't want to, enjoy your smokes, but consider switching to Luckies because they're truly superior. If you're still smoking and want to quit, figure out how you want to approach it. If you've quit, keep going!!!

Reading all of your experiences here has helped me out a lot - THANK YOU!!! :applause:

HTTR

Just passed 3 months a few days ago. No real cravings, but at times I do miss it. Fortunately I have the right mind set that the things are bad and I don't want my life shortened any further because of them. It really isn't worth it, and the cost of a pack is ridiculous too. Plus, smelling it on people after makes me realize how gross it is to most.

Just passed 3 months a few days ago. No real cravings, but at times I do miss it. Fortunately I have the right mind set that the things are bad and I don't want my life shortened any further because of them. It really isn't worth it, and the cost of a pack is ridiculous too. Plus, smelling it on people after makes me realize how gross it is to most.

Wow, 3 months clean of smoking and the Ring of Fame.

**** Mike, when I grow up, I wanna be like you :D

Some thoughts on quitting (after 6 months):

• You have to be ready
  • You can't make yourself be ready
  • Get the help you think will work for you
  • It's OK to relapse; just think of all the smokes you didn't have between the official last one and the relapse
  • Keep trying
  • Change your identity; for me it went from dedicated 1/2 pack a day unfiltered Luckies smoker to non-smoker (just like I was until I was 20)
  • Make it through those five minute cravings and you'll be able to stay smoke-free

For me it went like this: I knew I should quit, but I still loved smoking, especially the flavor and the feeling. I talked to my doctor, who explained all the methods to me. Since I know certain types of support will work for me and my personality and others won't I settled on Chantix only (no counseling, no nicotine replacement, etc.). He also urged me to pick a date (the month and year) as a target for quitting. I did and I started taking the Chantix. After about 3 weeks of Chantix the pleasure of smoking wasn't there like it had been, though it was still a bit there (probably by association). I had just started a new job and had to travel on business, so I decided to quit on the trip since it would be a pain in the butt to get in my smoking due to travel and business meetings. I put my partially finished pack in the freezer and off I went.

It's been 6 months. I've been tempted, and that's not so easy, though it's getting better. I did do a few things to challenge myself, including telling the smokers I know not to coddle me - just light up like I'm still smoking. I want to be challenged and still resist. I allow myself the occasional crappy cigar (unless you're offering something better :) ). I also told myself right up front that I was allowed to have one cigaretter per month. I haven't really been tempted to do it, but I did that because for me one of the most difficult things was knowing that I'd never be able to have a cigarette again; if I say I can have one per month, that thought goes away. Not to mention that with each passing month the smokes I stashed in the freezer become staler and less tempting.

That's what is working for me. If you haven't quit and don't want to, enjoy your smokes, but consider switching to Luckies because they're truly superior. If you're still smoking and want to quit, figure out how you want to approach it. If you've quit, keep going!!!

Reading all of your experiences here has helped me out a lot - THANK YOU!!! :applause:

HTTR

Your story is almost identical to my own. After having 'quit' once before years ago, I knew that I was not allowed a slip. It's been two years and I rarely get cravings anymore but I know that if I were to try even a single bit of chew that I would be hooked again. I trained my body for 21 years to love, and look forward to, a nice long dip.

• 1 month later...

I recently have switched over to e cigarettes. I haven't had a real cigarette in over a month and it feels great. I understand that I am still addicted to nicotine but I have done a good bit of research regarding 'vaping' and it seems like a 'safer' alternative to smoking.

I know that this is kinda of like cheating but I keep telling myself it is a better alternative.

Anyone else have a positive or negative feedback regarding e cigs?

I recently have switched over to e cigarettes. I haven't had a real cigarette in over a month and it feels great. I understand that I am still addicted to nicotine but I have done a good bit of research regarding 'vaping' and it seems like a 'safer' alternative to smoking.

I know that this is kinda of like cheating but I keep telling myself it is a better alternative.

Anyone else have a positive or negative feedback regarding e cigs?

I have positive feedback. I smoked for 10 years, tried quitting several times cold turkey. I would always make it to the summer and then break.

This year my last cig was Jan. 4th and then I starting down the path of the ecig. I started with those Blucigs and then had a friend that used to vap and he turned me onto much better equipment. Yes, I'm still hooked on nicotine, but from what I've read, I think I'm only intaking a 3rd of the nicotine a day than I would be if I was smoking my normal pack a day.

In Aug I was on vacation with the family and my sister in law smokes. One night out I had an urge for a real smoke, bummed one from her, and it was the most disgusting tasting thing ever, no way will I ever want a real one again.

I'm saving a ton of money, I can breath again, and just feel much better. My plan was to ween myself off nicotine entirely because you can get different strength eliquids, but to be honest, I don't know if I'll do that. I enjoy all the different flavors out there to try. And again the cost savings is awesome. Just spent $40 bucks on some hardware and eliquid that will last me a month.

I have positive feedback. I smoked for 10 years, tried quitting several times cold turkey. I would always make it to the summer and then break.

This year my last cig was Jan. 4th and then I starting down the path of the ecig. I started with those Blucigs and then had a friend that used to vap and he turned me onto much better equipment. Yes, I'm still hooked on nicotine, but from what I've read, I think I'm only intaking a 3rd of the nicotine a day than I would be if I was smoking my normal pack a day.

In Aug I was on vacation with the family and my sister in law smokes. One night out I had an urge for a real smoke, bummed one from her, and it was the most disgusting tasting thing ever, no way will I ever want a real one again.

I'm saving a ton of money, I can breath again, and just feel much better. My plan was to ween myself off nicotine entirely because you can get different strength eliquids, but to be honest, I don't know if I'll do that. I enjoy all the different flavors out there to try. And again the cost savings is awesome. Just spent $40 bucks on some hardware and eliquid that will last me a month.

Thanks for the feedback...Yeah I am on the Blu's now and looking into the Ego series. I hate that I have a new 'habit' but I am enjoying it right now and hoping that in the long run it is better for me.

Thanks for the feedback...Yeah I am on the Blu's now and looking into the Ego series. I hate that I have a new 'habit' but I am enjoying it right now and hoping that in the long run it is better for me.

Ego is what I'm using.

Battery - http://www.mtbakervapor.com/joyetech-joye-ego-t-tank-passthrough-1000mah-usb-battery-with-logo/

Cartomizer - http://www.mtbakervapor.com/smoktech-3-5ml-dct-tank-v2/

I like the tank system because I can see how much juice I have left.

OK so I am trying to quit. 8 years of smoking and I'm a soon-to-be father and am trying to cut out my bad habits. I have tried to quit in the past and only made it about a week. I've tried the gum but it didnt do anything for me. Any helpful tips (other than medication) to kick the habit?

http://www.allencarrseasyway.com/

Just read this and do what it says with precision. I promise that it is the real deal.

Beginning of October marks 5 months for me.

You got me beat. I'm around 2 months I think. This sucks. I miss it soooo bad. My god I want a ****ing smoke. The girl I'm dating says I'm cut off if I do and I just don't want to anyway, but jesus ****ing christ do I ever want to smoke. AARRRGGGHHHHH!

I'm not gonna though. Gonna try jogging again. I still can't breath and my chest is still tight.

Keep in mind, most people who get lung cancer and die are people within 5 years of quitting smoking, not smokers.

I smoked for 12 years. I had my last cig on August 31st 2012. We were at the time expecting our first child which we now have as of Sept 13, 2012. I picked a date to quit and I chose to use the Nicotine Patches. They have worked great for me with the nicotine. However, you have to change your lifestyle. I used to do the same thing every morning. Get up and get ready for work, head to Rutters grab a pack of cigs, energy shot, and sweet tea. So now I get up have breakfast at home and take snacks and drinks with me. It was very hard in the beginning because I am on the road every day. However, if you change your routine up a little and don't give in the 1st week then you are home free. I am on Step 2 of the patch and I can def tell if I wait too long to put the patch on cause the lack of nicotine makes me cranky and very tired. I feel much better and I don't get out of breath as easy and I just overall feel better physically and mentally.

Archived