Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Official Quitting Smoking Thread

Titaw

I owe you and jeff so much for telling me about that book! It's the first time I tried unaided, and for the first time, I feel like I already did it rather than "trying" to do it. (if that makes any sense?)

I'm already at the laughing point and I love how easy its been!

That is the same feeling I got after reading the book. I tried quitting once and it failed. When I read the book I kew I had stopped for good and it really does make the difference.

I haven't smoked since August of this year.

I went a different route though. I started using personal vaporizers AKA electronic cigarettes.

I think it's prudent to mention this because the effects of tobacco combustion of traditional cigarettes is a health hazard and ANY method to eliminate or reduce the harm is important. I get the eyeroll from people who went cold turkey or used the gums and patches because I never went on any program or self help kick, or because it wasn't cold turkey. I always wondered why the hostility? There is no second hand smoke. No combustion, no carbon monoxide, no ****tail of chemical additives, and it's way cheaper to sustain. Every non-smoker who'm I've used it around said that it smelled great, if they could smell it at all.

Again. Just an alternative for those who may be on the fence about quitting tobacco usage.

Those things are neat, but you really aren't helping yourself kick the addiction. You are still addicted to nicotine and you are still a slave to it. The side effect of prolonged use of the vaporizers (e-cigs) are still unknown and you are still paying money to continue your addiction. Who knows, the nicotine in those things may be even stronger than cigs. Why not spend the $15 buy the book and read it? It changed three people's lives in this thread, why not take the $15 risk and see if it changes your life?

Just a thought.

Question for those that have read the book: Will it work for people who chew tobacco?

I'm just worried that I'll get the book and see that it emphasizes the negative attributes of smoke (sights/smells/physical affects) versus smokeless tobacco (disgusting spit/more nicotine/missing teef). :)

I actually think it would work the same in practice. It doesnt really get into too much of the fear tactics that are so commopn (though there is a little of that).

I wouild describe it as a book that helps deprogram you in the area of what you think nicotene provides you (which in reality is a whole lot of nuttin!)

edit: for your other question, I can only speak for myself and my wife, but both of us were able to stop without the mood swings that we had experienced in previous attempts.

Those things are neat, but you really aren't helping yourself kick the addiction. You are still addicted to nicotine and you are still a slave to it. The side effect of prolonged use of the vaporizers (e-cigs) are still unknown and you are still paying money to continue your addiction. Who knows, the nicotine in those things may be even stronger than cigs. Why not spend the $15 buy the book and read it? It changed three people's lives in this thread, why not take the $15 risk and see if it changes your life?

Just a thought.

Well, true, and not true. What I have learned is that for the most part, nicotine itself is the safest part of a regular cigarette. While I am not giving up the chemical, I am eliminating the carcinogenic parts that destroy lung function, causes cancer, and annoy others. Thats a HUGE leap forward. Furthermore, I can gradually step down my nicotine dosage as I see fit and within a reasonable time frame. I started at 24mg per mL and I am now down to 12. Every so often I use zero nicotine juice. The juice is propylene glycol based and sometimes vegetable glycerin, both deemed safe for human consumption.

Again, congrats to all those who did it there way, but for some. The 'hard' way isn't the best and only way.

so today i smoked what i am kinda hoping was my last cig. i kinda want to stop but part of me is just like..i could use one right bout now..im trying to quit. i dont need to be wastig my money on a bad habit and i feel i need to help out my lungs before they get worst. well see what happens tho....i have a bad feelig ill end up doing it again but hopefully not

Well, true, and not true. What I have learned is that for the most part, nicotine itself is the safest part of a regular cigarette. While I am not giving up the chemical, I am eliminating the carcinogenic parts that destroy lung function, causes cancer, and annoy others. Thats a HUGE leap forward. Furthermore, I can gradually step down my nicotine dosage as I see fit and within a reasonable time frame. I started at 24mg per mL and I am now down to 12. Every so often I use zero nicotine juice. The juice is propylene glycol based and sometimes vegetable glycerin, both deemed safe for human consumption.

Again, congrats to all those who did it there way, but for some. The 'hard' way isn't the best and only way.

seems like a lot of trouble and expense to me. I quit smoking cold turkey 20 years ago on the same day I quit drinking alcohol. A friend of mine, who smoke over 2 packs a day of 100's, took zyban about 11 years ago. He took it for 5 days and never smoked again. The drugs that they have today are very affective at blocking endorphins so that the smoking is not pleasureable and is then seen for what it is by the smoker who abruptly abandons the nasty and expensive practice. This book sounds pretty cool though.

so today i smoked what i am kinda hoping was my last cig. i kinda want to stop but part of me is just like..i could use one right bout now..im trying to quit. i dont need to be wastig my money on a bad habit and i feel i need to help out my lungs before they get worst. well see what happens tho....i have a bad feelig ill end up doing it again but hopefully not

You definitely should read the book. seriously, it will help.

Here's the link again to the book on amazon:

The Easyway to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

Seriously it's $10.17, that's less than two packs. You want to quit, which is really the first step. Now buy the book, read it and you will be glad you did.

Here's the link again to the book on amazon:

The Easyway to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

Seriously it's $10.17, that's less than two packs. You want to quit, which is really the first step. Now buy the book, read it and you will be glad you did.

13 days in, no cravings, no stress, no grumpys, and NO NASTY SMOKES!

I can attest. Get the book!

Keep it up man! Make it through another three days and you'll be coasting.

the real challenge ia comin up...goin back to richmond

just walking around campus, im sure ill be like uugghh, literally evwryone around me is gonna be smoking and im afraid it will be real tempting

two nights ago, i even had a dream bout giving in and taking a drag of a cig haha. well see what happens tho. i may even have to tel my friends to refuse giving me a cigarette if i end up tryig to get one off of them sometime in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to try to quit smoking again. Havent had a cigarette all day so far. Cravings are rough but I decided every time I would normally go smoke that I would walk the stairs so I am too tired to think about smoking...lol Just decided the money was too much to spend and there are much better things I could spend it on. Really hoping I dont gain weight because of it. I shouldnt because I workout and eat well but who knows.

I quit drinking coffee and diet coke, first of the year. Does that count for anything? :silly:

Counts for a lot! Giving up anything you are used to having regularly is tough and giving up those two things will ultimately improve your health. I actually had 2 cups of coffee today and I almost never drink coffee. Thankfully, I do not like coffee enough for it to become a habit and caffeine really doesnt do much for me. Good luck with your quest and hope you stick with it!

So I decided to try to quit smoking again. Havent had a cigarette all day so far. Cravings are rough but I decided every time I would normally go smoke that I would walk the stairs so I am too tired to think about smoking...lol Just decided the money was too much to spend and there are much better things I could spend it on. Really hoping I dont gain weight because of it. I shouldnt because I workout and eat well but who knows.

Welcome to the smart crowd! j/k

This message board is a great support group that will help you along every step along the way.

I am behind you bro, get the book. You may think that it's cheesy and won't help, but I can say that you WILL gain something by reading the book. Even if it helps a little, as long as it helps.

Welcome to the smart crowd! j/k

This message board is a great support group that will help you along every step along the way.

I am behind you bro, get the book. You may think that it's cheesy and won't help, but I can say that you WILL gain something by reading the book. Even if it helps a little, as long as it helps.

Nah the book will probably just piss me off and make me want to smoke honestly...lol I remember when you were discussing it before and I just flat out dont agree with some of the stuff thats written. I am quitting for my reasons and as long as I use those for motivation, I should be able to do so I hope. My cravings have already gone down today. Just gotta get past the chemical addiction part (usually takes a day or two) and I should be fine. I appreciate the advice though!

Nah the book will probably just piss me off and make me want to smoke honestly...lol I remember when you were discussing it before and I just flat out dont agree with some of the stuff thats written. I am quitting for my reasons and as long as I use those for motivation, I should be able to do so I hope. My cravings have already gone down today. Just gotta get past the chemical addiction part (usually takes a day or two) and I should be fine. I appreciate the advice though!

I truly am here for you because honestly this board helped me through the "worst" of it. If you ever feel like you need a smoke just post here in the thread and hopefully one of us will be able to "talk you down". just remember there's no such thing as just one and you'll be fine.

Archived