Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Official Quitting Smoking Thread

Titaw

UPDATE:

Still going strong and WITHOUT the patch. Once I read the chapter on the NRT, I realized I didn't need the patch.

Now, my goal is to get my brother to read the book as well as my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. They all want to quit, but they don't believe they can. I know they can because if it can be as easy for them as it was for me, they would have quit years ago.

Well, the week is up and this is my last day.

I am not going to buy anymore cigs, not go out to bars with smokers, and just buy beer for tonight.

I feel pretty good about being able to get it done. I dont see myself as an addict, just as someone that enjoys things in excess. I went 3 weeks in March without smoking or drinking (Family stuff). The first 2 days I wanted a drink or smoke, but after that I was good.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

It's been almost three months and I am one of the happiest people around. I have had some stressful situations arise and not once did I think I wanted/needed a smoke. To all of you smokers out there that think it is the hardest thing you will ever do, don't think that way because in all reality it is one of the easiest things you will ever do.

If you want to quit smoking, but think that the timing isn't right or you don't have the will power. Buy the book, it costs less than two packs of smokes and it will make quitting so easy that you're going to think "Why didn't I know about this earlier?"

The fact of the matter is, the tobacco companies AND the government want you to think that qutting smoking is harder than getting off heroin. This is to plant the seed in your mind so when you attempt to quit, all you think about is how bad it's going to be. You give in and don't try to quit again for a long time because you think "They were right, it is the hardest thing I've attempted." You're hooked and that means more $$$$$$$$ for the government and the tobacco companies.

It's been almost three months and I am one of the happiest people around. I have had some stressful situations arise and not once did I think I wanted/needed a smoke. To all of you smokers out there that think it is the hardest thing you will ever do, don't think that way because in all reality it is one of the easiest things you will ever do.

If you want to quit smoking, but think that the timing isn't right or you don't have the will power. Buy the book, it costs less than two packs of smokes and it will make quitting so easy that you're going to think "Why didn't I know about this earlier?"

The fact of the matter is, the tobacco companies AND the government want you to think that qutting smoking is harder than getting off heroin. This is to plant the seed in your mind so when you attempt to quit, all you think about is how bad it's going to be. You give in and don't try to quit again for a long time because you think "They were right, it is the hardest thing I've attempted." You're hooked and that means more $$$$$$$$ for the government and the tobacco companies.

Man...if only more people could realize this. Its all about will power, and just deciding you're going to quit and its no big deal.

Really happy to hear its working out for ya, Titaw!! :cheers:

Man...if only more people could realize this. Its all about will power, and just deciding you're going to quit and its no big deal.

Really happy to hear its working out for ya, Titaw!! :cheers:

Thanks jrock!!

UPDATE:

See the problem is that is a generalization. Some people (a lot of people) just have addictive personalities and it really is a lot harder for them to quit. Im in your boat. I do not get addicted to things easily. I have stopped smoking for a week just to see if I could do it with no problems. I had an initial withdrawal period but that lasted maybe a day and then it was clear sailing after that. I smoke now because I choose to. The only time I would have a problem is out drinking and partying. My wife and I are talking about having a kid in the next year or two. I will definitely quit before then. But its not right to generalize how easy it is for you to quit smoking to other people. I have seen other people quit and have seen how difficult it is for them.

See the problem is that is a generalization. Some people (a lot of people) just have addictive personalities and it really is a lot harder for them to quit. Im in your boat. I do not get addicted to things easily. I have stopped smoking for a week just to see if I could do it with no problems. I had an initial withdrawal period but that lasted maybe a day and then it was clear sailing after that. I smoke now because I choose to. The only time I would have a problem is out drinking and partying. My wife and I are talking about having a kid in the next year or two. I will definitely quit before then. But its not right to generalize how easy it is for you to quit smoking to other people. I have seen other people quit and have seen how difficult it is for them.

Lol! You smoke because you choose to? :insane:

Lol! You smoke because you choose to? :insane:

I enjoy smoking. I enjoy sitting around with my family and chatting and having a cigarette. I enjoy walking away from my computer I stare at all day at work to go outside and enjoy a cigarette. I am very aware of all of the health risks involved. I am aware of the health risks involved with eating that greasy fast food burger too but I still do it. For the most part, I try to exercise and eat well so I consider this my health vice (most of us have one). I am a firm believer that everyone will die when it is there time. The most health conscious person can drop dead tomorrow from a heart attack or can get cancer or could get in a car accident. I try to enjoy my life. I do not go overboard or anything but I figure Im entitled to a vice here and there.

Quitting is a real pain. I quit 12 years ago but it still haunts me from time to time. I admit to the occassional butt when I'm drunk. Though I have gotten better in that regard. I used to light up all the time when I drank, now it's very rare. I've had 2-3 smokes in the past 3 years.

Congratulations Titaw! Excellent news, and I'm glad you've been able to do it.

How's the food taste now that the flavor is back?

Terrific, eh?

Be careful now not to substitute the hand-to-mouth habit with food. Quitters tend to pack on a few pounds.

~Bang

I enjoy smoking. I enjoy sitting around with my family and chatting and having a cigarette. I enjoy walking away from my computer I stare at all day at work to go outside and enjoy a cigarette. I am very aware of all of the health risks involved. I am aware of the health risks involved with eating that greasy fast food burger too but I still do it. For the most part, I try to exercise and eat well so I consider this my health vice (most of us have one). I am a firm believer that everyone will die when it is there time. The most health conscious person can drop dead tomorrow from a heart attack or can get cancer or could get in a car accident. I try to enjoy my life. I do not go overboard or anything but I figure Im entitled to a vice here and there.

You do realize that you are addicted to nicotine and trying to rationalize your addiction? Think about it for a second is there really anything enjoyable about suffocating yourself?

As far as your other comment. It really is that easy for EVERY SINGLE PERSON to quit. The just have to understand that they are slaves to nicotine and there is nothing enjoyable about smoking.

Quitting is a real pain. I quit 12 years ago but it still haunts me from time to time. I admit to the occassional butt when I'm drunk. Though I have gotten better in that regard. I used to light up all the time when I drank, now it's very rare. I've had 2-3 smokes in the past 3 years.

If I were you I'd read the book as well, it will make it clear and it will not haunt you ever again.

Congratulations Titaw! Excellent news, and I'm glad you've been able to do it.

How's the food taste now that the flavor is back?

Terrific, eh?

Be careful now not to substitute the hand-to-mouth habit with food. Quitters tend to pack on a few pounds.

~Bang

Food tastes so much better. I started watching what I ate in October so when I quit in March and started eating more, I was eating more healthy snacks like carrots and trail mix. I've actually lost a couple pounds because I have so much more energy.

first- congrats Titaw, great job man :applause:

As far as rationalizing addiction, I sort of buy it but also I see Lax's point too. I quit in 2004... but I still love the smell. (not old smoke, but fresh tobacco). If they came out with a 100% "safe" cigarette I'd probably start smoking again. I just really like the taste and it is a very relaxing thing to do

But that will never happen of course. So it will remain a nasty habit in my book, and I'll never touch tobacco again

I applaud you on this. I got my mom to stop smoking a few years ago. I told her it was pointless and there were a million other ways to deal with stress. And you're right, people act like getting off it is like getting off of heroin. Don't feel sorry for yourself acting like you are on the most addictive drug on the planet.

Titaw excellent work!

first- congrats Titaw, great job man :applause:

As far as rationalizing addiction, I sort of buy it but also I see Lax's point too. I quit in 2004... but I still love the smell. (not old smoke, but fresh tobacco). If they came out with a 100% "safe" cigarette I'd probably start smoking again. I just really like the taste and it is a very relaxing thing to do

But that will never happen of course. So it will remain a nasty habit in my book, and I'll never touch tobacco again

It's funny, because people romanticize loving smoking, and that they actually enjoy it. Nobody ever enjoys it. Try to remember the first cigarette you ever had, and how disgusting it was, and how you coughed. Coughing is your body's natural reaction to protect itself from poison. People actually have to train themselves to inhale smoke. The problem with quitting something you think you like is that in your mind, it was a good thing, and you're really giving up something. In reality, you aren't giving up anything. You're stopping something that kills you and you're addicted to.

Not picking on you Zoony - just using your post as an example.

Congrats Titaw!

You do realize that you are addicted to nicotine and trying to rationalize your addiction? Think about it for a second is there really anything enjoyable about suffocating yourself?

As far as your other comment. It really is that easy for EVERY SINGLE PERSON to quit. The just have to understand that they are slaves to nicotine and there is nothing enjoyable about smoking.

If I were you I'd read the book as well, it will make it clear and it will not haunt you ever again.

Please that is such a joke to say there is nothing enjoyable about cigarettes. If that were the case, why would anyone get addicted in the first place? If there was nothing enjoyable about it, why doesnt everyone quit after their first one?

And just because it was easy for you to quit does not mean for a second it is easier for every single person to quit. Im really happy you found it easy but some people have physical problems and chemical imbalances that make addiction much stronger for them. You think them realizing they are slaves to nicotine really will make them quit? Do you have any understanding of addiction?

I smoke because I choose to smoke. You can call me a slave to whatever you want but I enjoy smoking and will continue to do so at least for the near future. Are you going to be one of those ex smokers that runs around preaching to the rest of us?

I loved smoking.

I quit because I knew it was bad for me. I still want them every now & then, but I don't endulge.

If a safe one came out I'd buy one in a second.

I agree if there was a safe cigarette, there would be no question. Right now my choice only impacts me. Once I have a child, my choice impacts the child as well which is why I will quit before I have kids. People enjoy smoking or they wouldnt do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good job man. For myself, I remember smoking a cigarette one day and thinking, "this tastes terrible, why am I doing this." It didn't even make me feel good. So I just quit, no problem. I still want to smoke sometimes when I'm drunk, but overall I am done with cigs. Marijuana, on the other hand....but I've learned how to stay away from that too, for the most part.

Archived