Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Official Quitting Smoking Thread

Titaw

Dear Titaw,

As a current smoker who would like to quit some day... speaking to an ex-smoker who has already quit.

Don't be that guy. Please, don't be that guy.

You know who that guy is. We all (smokers) hate him.

That is all I have to say. You are doing very well. Congrats to you.

Congratulations brother!!! Awesome friggin job!!!

The best gift you can give to those who love you is....more years with you. I lost my granddad at the ripe "old" age of 56 because he smoked like a chimney. Two heart attacks in a one-week span took him away from me when I was 5. Thirty-years later, I still miss him every day.

If you find yourself tempted to smoke again, and you will, look at your loved ones. Think about how much they would miss you if you weren't here. Then I think you'll find that cigarette doesn't matter quite as much.

Sorry to get all heavy on you. Congrats again, and continued success!

Dear Titaw,

As a current smoker who would like to quit some day... speaking to an ex-smoker who has already quit.

Don't be that guy. Please, don't be that guy.

You know who that guy is. We all (smokers) hate him.

That is all I have to say. You are doing very well. Congrats to you.

I am trying not to be "that guy". I am just trying to help, I really am. I know that smokers who are not ready to quit don't want to hear anything about quitting. I am simply putting it out there so I can have support from my ES brethren as well as help as many smokers that want it. I basically want to say, "Hey, if you've tried almost everything, here's something that worked for me when nothing else did. Try it, it will probably surprise you."

Congratulations brother!!! Awesome friggin job!!!

The best gift you can give to those who love you is....more years with you. I lost my granddad at the ripe "old" age of 56 because he smoked like a chimney. Two heart attacks in a one-week span took him away from me when I was 5. Thirty-years later, I still miss him every day.

If you find yourself tempted to smoke again, and you will, look at your loved ones. Think about how much they would miss you if you weren't here. Then I think you'll find that cigarette doesn't matter quite as much.

Sorry to get all heavy on you. Congrats again, and continued success!

HH,

I know I will never go back. I know because so much stress has come down on me in the past 3 months where I could have lit up at any time, but I kept reminding myself there is no such thing as just one. Now, I don't even think about it.

HH,

I know I will never go back. I know because so much stress has come down on me in the past 3 months where I could have lit up at any time, but I kept reminding myself there is no such thing as just one. Now, I don't even think about it.

That's great to hear man. Congrats again.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update:

I am going strong 7 months without a cig. Nothing can stop me now I'd lilke to thank all of you that helped me along the way. There are two individuals here that helped me in two totally different ways. You know who you are, all I can say is thank you!

Here's to a smoke free rest of my life!!!

• 2 months later...

I was really ashamed the last time I read this thread. I had quit smoking for a while, yet the instant I faced some stress (My Mom's illness, financial, relocation, etc) I strated up again just like i had never been away.

The folks in this thread really inspired me to stop again (something I have tried multiple times to no avail)

I decided to try reading the book that Titaw suggested.

I have no idea why this is so, but by the last page, I knew it was time.

I havent had even a tiny drag off a smoke since last Monday, neither has my wife.

the cravings are there, but not hard to handle at all. We arent even very moody!

We did it!

I quit at the end of July 2009. It was very sudden and abrupt. I was having a smoke break, really steamed as usual that I was yet again short on money, 3 days away from payday. I've always known that my 1 pack+ a day smoking habit was costing me $200 a month and that THAT was why I was always short on money.

So in a fit of anger, I quit. I txt'd my girlfriend who lived with me at the time and told her she'd have to smoke outside from now on b/c I was quitting smoking (I owned the house so I could call shots like that, fellas. LMAO!!).

I have not smoked since. I do enjoy a cigar every 3 weeks or so but I don't inhale and it doesn't affect my cravings. Cigars and cigarettes are completely different in my opinion. When I'm hanging with my brothers from my fraternity, we enjoy a scotch and a cigar. It's basically our monthly deflation moment. I can't pass up a quality Ashton VSG.

This sounds silly, but if you are still having cravings, re-read the book. It solidifies everything that much more.

I think "cravings" may be a misnomer for what I am feeling.

every so often, I get that little monster feeling during what I would call my "traditional" smoking times. All I do is think about what is causig that feeling and acknowledge there is still some nicotine in my system that will be purged very soon.

I'm really not having any issue stopping so far, It;'s greAT!

i quit using the gum 7 years ago. Quit the gum after 2 weeks when people said it was addictive.. no problems since..

I used Step 2 Nicorette for about 6 weeks. I got the flavorless, bland kind so that I wouldn't chew it all the time. lol. Figured if it tasted like ****, I'd have to really need one to chew one.

I think "cravings" may be a misnomer for what I am feeling.

every so often, I get that little monster feeling during what I would call my "traditional" smoking times.

I can SO relate to this! I quit in June of this year but every now and then I just get a major jolt to my brain that says "DAMN I could smoke the **** out of a cig right now!" but it passes, and seems to pass quicker/easier each time.

. Right now my choice only impacts me. Once I have a child, my choice impacts the child as well which is why I will quit before I have kids. People enjoy smoking or they wouldnt do it.

So you never smoke around others in public places? Never take time out from work to smoke while your non-smoking coworkers continue working (one of the biggest waste of employers' money in the workforce besides the internet and texting, which I'm sure you do plenty of as well.) Apologies If you're self employed. And I'm sure that you never throw your spent buts on the ground or throw them out the window of your car. And I'm sure that you, and you clothes (home and car) smell great in confined spaces. As for "enjoying smoking" and "why do people smoke in first place"? It's because nicotine is a powerful drug (that's right, you're a drug addict) that relieves stress and when the stress is relieved the addicts perception is that it brings them pleasure thus setting them up for a pathological (love to/have to) addiction that's tied into the synapses of their memory (along with other pleasurable events) and the brains "reward system". So you just think that you're enjoying it (read brainwashed). As for your quiting for a week, it takes at least 30 days for the body to detox from nicotine, so you didn't quit long enough to prove anything. Quit for 90 days to 6 months and get back to us on that champ. ;)

Congrats to all the quitters in this thread. The longer that you're away from smoking the more that you'll realize the impact of quitting and the depth of the issues of smoking. My 22 year old son is back living with his mother (my x-wife) saving some money while in college. She's a smoker and he and his clothes smell like he just came from a nasty assed cigar bar. :doh:

I was really ashamed the last time I read this thread. I had quit smoking for a while, yet the instant I faced some stress (My Mom's illness, financial, relocation, etc) I strated up again just like i had never been away.

The folks in this thread really inspired me to stop again (something I have tried multiple times to no avail)

I decided to try reading the book that Titaw suggested.

I have no idea why this is so, but by the last page, I knew it was time.

I havent had even a tiny drag off a smoke since last Monday, neither has my wife.

the cravings are there, but not hard to handle at all. We arent even very moody!

We did it!

Congrats man!! It feels great doesn't it? I really can't take credit for the book because JeffSchmeff turned me on to it, I simply took it to the next level.

Just remember, there's never just one and the monster will go away. He wil manifest himself is wierd ways, but it really does get to the point where you just laugh.

Congrats man!! It feels great doesn't it? I really can't take credit for the book because JeffSchmeff turned me on to it, I simply took it to the next level.

Just remember, there's never just one and the monster will go away. He wil manifest himself is wierd ways, but it really does get to the point where you just laugh.

I owe you and jeff so much for telling me about that book! It's the first time I tried unaided, and for the first time, I feel like I already did it rather than "trying" to do it. (if that makes any sense?)

I'm already at the laughing point and I love how easy its been!

I haven't smoked since August of this year.

I went a different route though. I started using personal vaporizers AKA electronic cigarettes.

I think it's prudent to mention this because the effects of tobacco combustion of traditional cigarettes is a health hazard and ANY method to eliminate or reduce the harm is important. I get the eyeroll from people who went cold turkey or used the gums and patches because I never went on any program or self help kick, or because it wasn't cold turkey. I always wondered why the hostility? There is no second hand smoke. No combustion, no carbon monoxide, no ****tail of chemical additives, and it's way cheaper to sustain. Every non-smoker who'm I've used it around said that it smelled great, if they could smell it at all.

Again. Just an alternative for those who may be on the fence about quitting tobacco usage.

Archived