Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Alright, apple kick confirmed.

Have Angry Orchard Green Apple (pretty good), Stella Artois Cidre, and my Shock Top Apple stocked today.

The Stella Artois Cidre is legit. It's rated a 22 on Ratebeer, but come on, that's because it's a cider. It has a stark malty characteristic, nice heavy apple flavor.

I know I've been talking about basic ass beer, and even frickin cider lately, it's like I've come full circle. I'm planning on having a Southern Tier Choklat this weekend, which should balance it out.

4 pack for $9.60? Good stuff, but still surprisingly high.

Picture-71.png

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

• 2 weeks later...

Scientists edge closer to creating rehydrating beer that prevents hangovers

Researchers at the Griffith University Menzies Health Institute in Queensland are trying to develop the beer that rehydrates you, but that actually tastes the same as normal beer.

The scientists first announced their plan to make rehydrating beer in 2013. They announced they had found how to manipulate the electrolyte levels – essential body salts – of two commercial beers.

The team is currently working on getting the flavour of the beer right, because people will not drink it if it does not taste good.

They are now surveying volunteers who drink beer regularly to examine the personal behaviours and factors that influence attitudes, which they hope will provide a better understanding of what makes beer more appealing.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

Since when is Yuengling craft beer? 

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102550244

Yuengling tops Boston Beer as largest craft brewer

The impact of the Brewers Association decision to adjust how they define a "craft brewery" continues to have ripple effects across the beer industry. The latest evidence comes from the Brewers Association's annual list of top 50 craft brewers based on 2014 beer sales volume.

D.G. Yuengling & Son now sits atop the list of the largest craft brewers by sales volume, supplanting Boston Beer.

I'll go ahead and say Yuengling is a craft brewery. They are usually stocked around the other mass produced beers, but their lager is a Vienna Lager, they have a great Black & Tan, they have a Porter, a Marzen, a Bock...

Actually, their Lord Chesterfield is the closest thing to an American Lager that they have...and nobody talks about that beer.

I love their Black & Tan, one of my faves. I'd say they are a craft brewery, but barely.

I'll go ahead and say Yuengling is a craft brewery. They are usually stocked around the other mass produced beers, but their lager is a Vienna Lager, they have a great Black & Tan, they have a Porter, a Marzen, a Bock...

Actually, their Lord Chesterfield is the closest thing to an American Lager that they have...and nobody talks about that beer.

I love their Black & Tan, one of my faves. I'd say they are a craft brewery, but barely.

I just don't get that a company that uses adjunct corn and rice can call itself craft. I take a sip of regular Yuengling and it tastes like corn mush. I do like the Black and Tan, though. 

With this new definition, Mountain Crest beer is now craft. It's the worst I've ever had. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/435/62084/

I just don't get that a company that uses adjunct corn and rice can call itself craft. I take a sip of regular Yuengling and it tastes like corn mush. I do like the Black and Tan, though.

With this new definition, Mountain Crest beer is now craft. It's the worst I've ever had. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/435/62084/

Like I said, the regular Yuengling is a Vienna Lager, which is based off of toasted malts. It doesn't taste like any other commercialized beer. It's amber in color, I've always said it tastes like a Marzen. Most of the popular Amber Lagers & Marzens taste alot like it. I think Yuengling is easily scoffed at because it's incredibly popular, but it's actually not bad. If you snuck it in to a bottle from a good craft brewery and called it "Mild Marzen", I think it'd get much better reviews.

I've always said that if you're strapped for cash and want something other than a typical lager, Yuengling is the way to go.

I've always said that if you're strapped for cash and want something other than a typical lager, Yuengling is the way to go.

Yeah, I've always seen Yeungling as a pretty decent value beer in that it's not piss-water but doesn't cost a while lot more than those beers.

Not a big fan of Belgian Witbiers, but I suddenly had a craving yesterday and picked up the Allagash White. Think this is my first Allagash.

Looks great in the glass, hazy gold. Coriander and bitter orange peel are initially a touch stronger than the wheat and biscuity yeast, but the wheat/yeast punch through after a couple seconds. Aftertaste is almost all biscuit, with a little "bland" wheat underneath. The spices heat up the throat like light hotsauce.

**** this stuff is good. $10 a 4 pack. Not bad.

wineaffairs_allagash_glass.jpg

• Like 1

I just snagged a growler of Heavy Seas Double Cannon.   None of our nearby liquor stores has it yet, (it was just released this past Wednesday), so I went to the brewery.    Unfortunately, they would only fill the smaller 32oz growlers, because it was going fast.   

The girl who filled the growler, gave me a sample to taste.   It's very, very, good.   It's definitely hopped up, but balanced.   At 9.5% ABV, it'll never be keg-worthy, but I'll definitely stock up for the summer.   It's a seasonal, and will only be available from April thru June, and only in cans or kegs.     If we have a cookout, before it sells out, I'd consider buying a sixtel.

Yuengling is just okay for me.

Some of the other types they make are good. Nothing great.

I like Yuengling lager, but it's like any other beer, I have to be in the mood for it.    Yuengling lager is strange, in that it's a lot better on tap. Beer should be better on tap, but Yuengling is much, much better on tap, than it is in bottles and cans.  

Their porter is very good, and I love the Lord Chesterfield ale.    Years ago, I tried their Bock beer, and it was pretty good too.    A buddy of mine took a brewery tour, and he told me that they offer beers there, that are only available on draft, and not distributed here in Maryland.    

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

I picked up a sixer of "Big Punisher" by Jailbreak.     Jailbreak is a young, very small, local brewery.   Big Punisher is their version of a double IPA.      

I would rate it as good, but not great, and certainly not worth the $13.99 price tag. It's not balanced, or bitter, enough for me.

When I was at the Heavy Seas brewery, a couple of hours ago, I talked to a guy who went to the Jailbreak brewery, and he said that the tour was great, and the beers that they tried were very good.    I'm intrigued enough to go check it out, and try some of their beers.   I firmly believe that you should support your local craft brewers, and I really want to find a beer that they brew that I really like, so I'll give it a shot.

Yeah Skinsfan, I like to buy local too. I've had the majority of Heavy Seas & Flying Dog, but I just started getting in to Duclaw. Definitely a fan of the Sweet Baby Jesus, which is a polarizing beer I find. Fricking liquid Reeses, fricking awesome.

On the other hand, I wasn't a fan of their chocolate-raspberry stout (called "Naked Fish). I see that Duclaw has alot of IPAs. Someone recommended the one with a neon green label (forget what it's called.).

Yeah Skinsfan, I like to buy local too. I've had the majority of Heavy Seas & Flying Dog, but I just started getting in to Duclaw. Definitely a fan of the Sweet Baby Jesus, which is a polarizing beer I find. Fricking liquid Reeses, fricking awesome.

On the other hand, I wasn't a fan of their chocolate-raspberry stout (called "Naked Fish). I see that Duclaw has alot of IPAs. Someone recommended the one with a neon green label (forget what it's called.).

Neon Gypsy is the one that you're thinking about. Hellrazer is a good IPA, as is the Venom. Naked Fish flat out sucks..it's like they added liquid smoke...

• Like 1

Tonight's drink:

73618.jpg

This thing is freaking a meal.  Fantastic taste of coffee, whisky, chocolate, and malts.  11.2% so doubtful I will be opening anything more then a Sam Adams to cleanse the palate before bed.

Last night:

image_thumb.png?imgmax=800

If you want to try a beer brewed with heat this is a great one.  You can def. taste chocolate and coffee, but its the habanero that makes it special.  It's mild enough that it doesn't hurt, but strong enough that you know it's there.

• Like 3

Track 7 brewing just opened a brewery right in my neighborhood.  Their 3rd Anniversary peanut butter cup porter was pretty good but I still think Karl Strauss's is better.

As far as Pliny the Elder? Yep it is amazing, it is simply THAT great. Russian River brewing is not too far from here. Pliny the Younger is extremely difficult to get, a lot of people make the drive up to the brewery the day it is released and stand in hour long lines, then when pony kegs start going out to places around here you have to start calling around to find out beforehand, otherwise it will be all out by the time you show up.