Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about gays in the military?

Koolblue13

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

:doh:

Because the straight male won't be interested in the gay one and chances are the gay guy won't be interested in the straight guy.

Was that a serious question?

What would us cake eating civilians know about this stuff :dunce:

:laugh:

I was asked if I was gay as part of my applications for security clearances.

And like I said, "I don't know if this is still the case", but 60 Minutes did a story about a decade ago about a gay guy who was fired from Los Alamos because his clearance was revoked, because he was gay.

He'd been working there for over a decade, and he'd been openly gay the entire time. (Which, I'll admit, argues against 60 Minutes' claim that he was fired for being gay.)

Boss leaves the department. New boss comes in. New boss looks at gay gay says "OMG! He's gay!". Other workers are asked if guy's gay. They say "Yeah, everybody knows it. He admits it."

Guy's security clearance is yanked. He's fired because you can't work in his job without a clearance.

They say his clearance was yanked because he's gay. He asks what being gay has to do with a clearance.

They say his clearance was yanked because he lied on his application. Because his application, and his annual renewals, all asked if he was gay. He says "And I said 'yes', every time they asked."

They say his clearance was yanked because gays can be blackmailed (by people threatening to reveal that he's gay). He points out that "they" can't threaten to reveal that he's gay, because everybody already knows.

They say that he can be blackmailed, by someone threatening to reveal his gayness to his employers, thus threatening to get him fired. He points out the only way they can threaten him with that, is if the employer has a policy of firing gays for no other reason.

Eventually, the government falls back on "it's policy, and we won't say why."

-----

Now, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that rule was no longer being enforced. In fact, I wouldn't be stunned if it was never a 100% rule, but was simply a case of gays getting turned down unless there was a good reason not to, or something similar.

But I'm pretty convinced that it was, in fact, the rule.

And BTW:

I am sorry, that story just doesn't make sense at all. Honestly, it would appear that he did something else and was claiming that being gay was the reason he was terminated. They couldn't have got him on anything he didn't falsify paper work, he was not going to be fired for being gay. Your boss doesn't even adjudicate your clearence so you cannot pull it. He can suspend your access IF he has derogatory information, but once again being gay is not derogatory information. But if he suspends it, it goes back to the adjucicators for readjudication along with the new derogatory information. If his story is try there was nothing new to report.

Says the person who hasn't served. Yes cake eating civilians. Guess what, the military makes fun of civilians all the time. Yes, it is instilled in us that we are better than civilians. A common comment is "your not back on the block". Victim mentality? Hardly, military members have everything to deal with that civilians do and more. Hell, I remember that commercial that we do more before 9am that most people do all day. When I was in basic, I realized how true that was. One thing you have to remember about people who serve is that they willingly take on the extra work and risk.

When do strait males get rights? Would you house a strait male with a female? Why would you house a gay male with a strait male? Everyone seems to want to avoid that question, someone step up and answer it.

well, I have ALOT of friends in the military, and I have heard all they went through...yeah its hard physically, alot of jobs are...its hard mentally...yup but guess what alot of jobs are. As for you do more before 9 am....you have NO idea how much I do before 9 am.

You decided to take the risk, I stand and applaud you, and I shake ALMOST every military persons hand I see and thank them...BUT...you chose that life knowing what it entailed, and if you didn't then you're ignorant. And yes the boo hoo we do so much to your "so little" IS coming off like a victim mentality...just because you CHOSE to do what you do, and I CHOSE to do what I do means nothing. Yes I did apply, yes I did pass the physical test when I did, but NO I did not get in due to a quota.

who the hell cares what preference someone has. You both have the same passion for your country. Isn't thats what it is about? or is it just a job to you? If it's just a job I understand your paranoia and intolerence. If it is the notion of protecting someones FREEDOM which I may add is the freedom for someone's sexual preference, then shouldn't that someone be able to fight for rights as well?

Now if one of the "flamers" tries to get in, ok I understand, but a normal guy who cares? I guess you also have a problem with lesbians in the military.

Because with a straight male and a straight female, they're mutually attracted? (Or at least, they both think the other is the right sex.)
:doh:

Because the straight male won't be interested in the gay one and chances are the gay guy won't be interested in the straight guy.

Was that a serious question?

I'm pretty sure rape is looked down upon by just about everyone - whether it's heterosexual or homosexual.

The good news is the vast majority of people aren't rapists - regardless of orientation, so it's not exactly like you're suddenly going to have all these gays just start making moves on everyone in the middle of the night.

Ok so what is the difference if the male is not attracted to the female or the female is not attracted to the male. I mean the vast majority of people are not racists so we should be able to house males with females right?

Guess what, the military makes fun of civilians all the time.

lol its ok I know alot of civilians that make fun of military people who say they couldn't hack using their brain...

not that I believe that, but I doubt ALL the military make fun of non-military

Yes, it is instilled in us that we are better than civilians.

lol wow...hmm never thought a concept from the movie Starship Troopers would ever pop up in real life. :laugh:

Seriously, if straight men are capable enough of keeping it in their pants when they serve with women, then why do people not expect the same of gay men serving with other men?

Actually, Ren- Straight men and women in the military DON'T keep it in their pants. They sex it up like you would not believe. Maybe even more than civilians and especially in the Navy. The pregnancy rate for women at sea was ridiculous when I served. I'd estimate that 4 of 10 women serving on sea-going vessels were pregnant or had gotten abortions. At least that's how it looked to me. I can't provide real stats but I was there and I can vouch for some serious messing around.

(For the record, I voted that gays should be able to serve. I'm just commenting on your post.)

I was just wondering...

what are your thoughts to them letting criminals in the military?

Depends on the crime. I am all about second chances. Drugdealers....no. Minor possession misdemeanors....sure. Buglers....no, to many sensative items. Violent criminals...No. Honestly it all depends on the crime of the person.

Rawwwwwwwwwwwwwg!!!!!!

Raaaaawg.

Rawg?

Zombie has carefully looked at both sides of this issue. Zombie thinks that since he serve in military for 9+ years that he have good authority on subject. Civilian human cake eaters have no clue what the social dynamic in the service is like. We live together, we train together, we fight together and we die together. It is important that we know the guy next to us is as solid as we are as our lives are in each otehrs hands. When we arent sure about a guy it really does hurt morale.

Look Zombie no care what you do in civilian world behind closed doors. If you want to be a tube lubin, grape smugglin, slug hugger thats your business. Just no do it in Zombie's unit. We dont need ANYTHING that can lower morale and or cause any distrust amongst the team.

"one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesnt belong..."

- the one little song you never want to hear sung about you

lol wow...hmm never thought a concept from the movie Starship Troopers would ever pop up in real life. :laugh:

Uh, the concept of encouraging pride in unit is a LOT older than Starship Troopers. (Really good book, BTW, I recommend it if you're only judging things from the movie.)

For example, I think it was Kipling who supposedly said that one of the purposes of military basic training is that it must be tough enough so that the recruit is proud he made it through.

Pride can be a heck of a motivational tool.

When do strait males get rights? Would you house a strait male with a female? Why would you house a gay male with a strait male? Everyone seems to want to avoid that question, someone step up and answer it.

When they learn to spell "straight." Do you think the civil rights movement would have gotten off the ground is they referred to themselves as "blak" people?

I love it when white heterosexuals complain about discrimination. It amuses me.

Actually, Ren- Straight men and women in the military DON'T keep it in their pants. They sex it up like you would not believe. Maybe even more than civilians and especially in the Navy. The pregnancy rate for women at sea was ridiculous when I served. I'd estimate that 4 of 10 women serving on sea-going vessels were pregnant or had gotten abortions. At least that's how it looked to me. I can't provide real stats but I was there and I can vouch for some serious messing around.

(For the record, I voted that gays should be able to serve. I'm just commenting on your post.)

I understand that they get it on. If a man or woman is making unwanted advances on someone else though, I'm assuming they are disciplined accordingly. As would a gay person making the same kind of unwanted advances.

When they learn to spell "straight." Do you think the civil rights movement would have gotten off the ground is they referred to themselves as "blak" people?

I love it when white heterosexual christian males complain about discrimination. It amuses me.

Fixed that for you.

. . . and yes it happens on this board all the time and it amuses me the hell out of me as well. (I also happen to be a white heterosexual male and I find it HILARIOUS)

Uh, the concept of encouraging pride in unit is a LOT older than Starship Troopers. (Really good book, BTW, I recommend it if you're only judging things from the movie.)

For example, I think it was Kipling who supposedly said that one of the purposes of military basic training is that it must be tough enough so that the recruit is proud he made it through.

Pride can be a heck of a motivational tool.

Oh I understand that.

what I am saying is the idea of a citizen vs a civilian...the tone of the way he said it kinda had that feel to it.

From what I have heard about the NYS trooper training they try and do the same thing..and successfully at that.

It amuses me as well since I am BLACK. Once again it is highly insulting to equate a sexual choice with being born a certain race. The civil rights movement got off the ground just fine and they referred to themselves by many other names such as negros and coloreds, not sure what that has to do with your arguement though, other than the fact that you made an ass out of yourself by assuming I was a white male.

It amuses me as well since I am BLACK. Once again it is highly insulting to equate a sexual choice with being born a certain race. The civil rights movement got off the ground just fine and they referred to themselves by many other names such as negros and coloreds, not sure what that has to do with your arguement though, other than the fact that you made an ass out of yourself by assuming I was a white male.

and its highly arrogant to assume you know its a choice when you are not one of them.

Oh I understand that.

what I am saying is the idea of a citizen vs a civilian...the tone of the way he said it kinda had that feel to it.

From what I have heard about the NYS trooper training they try and do the same thing..and successfully at that.

Its a bonding process. Put people through some tough training, push them further than they have ever been pushed before, not only mentally, but physically and you have started the process of indoctrination into something bigger than themselves. Some of the best times I had in the Army, were some of the worst times.

Whenever you put a group of vets together with a bunch of civilians you will see them start to gravitate to each other and a vetting process being. Units served in, dates of duty, any combat action, etc Its a bond that they all share.

lol its ok I know alot of civilians that make fun of military people who say they couldn't hack using their brain...
Rawwwwwwwwwwwwwg!!!!!!

Raaaaawg.

Rawg?

Zombie has carefully looked at both sides of this issue. Zombie thinks that since he serve in military for 9+ years that he have good authority on subject. Civilian human cake eaters have no clue what the social dynamic in the service is like. We live together, we train together, we fight together and we die together. It is important that we know the guy next to us is as solid as we are as our lives are in each otehrs hands. When we arent sure about a guy it really does hurt morale.

Look Zombie no care what you do in civilian world behind closed doors. If you want to be a tube lubin, grape smugglin, slug hugger thats your business. Just no do it in Zombie's unit. We dont need ANYTHING that can lower morale and or cause any distrust amongst the team.

"one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesnt belong..."

- the one little song you never want to hear sung about you

:laugh:

Archived