Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could we do without cursing?

skinsfan07

On average, the normal human curses at least 5 times a day.

That being said, I was wondering if we could do without saying curse words. Like if you had too, could you do without saying a curse word for the rest of your life, despite whatever you go through?

I dunno if I could, it's almost like it's permanently in my vocab. lol

What about you guys?

No ****ing way.

In all seriousness, between the military, police department, and just my friends in general, it's too engrained.

Interesting fact: The guards for the Tomb of the Unknowns go the rest of their lives without ever swearing.

What's really so bad with saying curse words? Ultimately, I feel that there really isn't any such things as curse words.....there happen to be some words that are slang, and mean other things. That's right....I don't agree with the premise of this thread.....there is no such things as curse words......and yes I am serious.

What's really so bad with saying curse words? Ultimately, I feel that there really isn't any such things as curse words.....there happen to be some words that are slang, and mean other things. That's right....I don't agree with the premise of this thread.....there is no such things as curse words......and yes I am serious.

I feel that way myself. I feel as all words are just words but "curse" words were taken out and made "wrong" when really they are just words.

Easily, as an ex-teacher I learned to censor myself pretty well. Now, if I hammer a thumb or get into an accident all bets are off, but I usually try to save the blue language for times when they are meaningful or for effect.

I pretty much do it now, though my job occassionally requires me to record/repeat what some student has said/written that he/she shouldn't have.

What has consistently amazed me, though, is how other teachers manage not to use profanity in front of their students, when I know that they can't use a sentence without it outside the classroom.

Of course, one of the guys I work with doesn't really manage it... :laugh:

I do think it's either going to get worse or else the social stigma of profanity is going to lessen in the future. For many of my students, profanity is like breathing, and they can't help themselves (which is why I save the above action for the truly out of line, otherwise it's like holding, in that I could call it on every play :))... it just slips out when they try to hold it in.

My suspicion is that as this generation and future ones grow up, and as the older generations die off, the standard will change, yet again.

It needs to be the other way around. People just need to stop being so sensitive about sounds we make. They are just words, nothing more.

Everyone should watch the curse words episode of Penn and Teller's BS. It's great.

As far as the actual question being asked...**** no.

No. How else would I punctuate my sentences :silly:

Seriously, I hope I can gain better control over my tongue. West Point and the Army were highly detrimental to this end.

Having kids has had the opposite effect; the first time I had to convince my two year old he really heard and meant "fork", that cured me of cussing at home.

I still need to work on it in adult settings. Leaving any moral evaluations out, it just doesn't convey maturity and belies your ability to express yourself. In addition, I refuse to be mastered by any such "habit." Just not something I want my kids/grandkids/co-workers to remember about me when I'm gone.

It needs to be the other way around. People just need to stop being so sensitive about sounds we make. They are just words, nothing more.

Everyone should watch the curse words episode of Penn and Teller's BS. It's great.

As far as the actual question being asked...**** no.

That Penn and Teller ep is what I posted :)

People with high IQ's dont have to swear. There are exceptions (Let's ask George Carlin about those nice 7 words up in Heaven or Hell? George? Why swear I never liked it and it shows low self esteem and no respect for our wonderful English language. So swear in French. Better yet show some class and employ restraint. Can the lowlifes do it?????? Oh Judas Priest I hope so. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Archived