Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How does one become homeless in this country?

Guest sith lord

Please explain what you mean by this.

It means that I am not surprised someone such as yourself would not know what it means to be homeless.

your quote. . .

Mental illness of some sort. The only logical explanation in this country, imo.

It reeks of ignorance to the issue, and it tells me, the person reading the post, that you haven't the slightest clue as to how people become homeless. Furthermore, you could care less about the issue because it doesn't effect you. When someone posts an ignorant comment that the "only" way to become homeless is to be mentally ill, and the poster has a history of ignoring lower classes in other threads, it doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

Is that a better explanation for you?

Chomerics - We took their medical history and were privy to their psychiatric disorders.

Furthermore, patients in who lived in the transitional living facility (the patients who made up our study population) are drug tested and have to be "clean" to remain in the program.

Our study dealt with nutrition and exercise intervention on CD4 levels, not so much the social aspects of the population. It is a lengthy report, but if you are interested in reading it you can PM me your email and I'll send you the PDF.

Cool, thanks man, I'd love to read it!

My mother works for the Social Security Administration. Now while she admits there are plenty of debeat lazy peopl who look for handouts, those ARE NOT THE ONES that are homeless.

Mose homeless people suffer from mental illnesses, drug addiction, and have no families. Now I understand peoples lack of sympathy for drug addicts. But if you have ever seen Intervention, most drug addicts deal with many suppressed issues that leads them into the wrong direction. With that said, it is impossible for anyone of us to say that all they have to do is this or that. Emotional and traumatic issues that effect people are as serious as an illness or a disease. Many times people lack the support group needed to get through such things.

I guess I agreed with you (I said the same thing) but most people don't see it that way. They think that addiction is about will power.

Yeah, like zoony, I look at addiction problems in the same scope of mental defect.

The clients I worked with had to be "clean" to be in the program, but I know many of them were hard drug/alcohol abusers before entering the program. But I'm not naive either, I realize some of the patients were circumventing the rules of the program and still doing drugs and drinking...

Not to shift the thread but given the course of action on this page I would like someone to explain to me exactly what constitutes an account suspension . . . both because I don't see how it was necessary and I would also like to avoid the same fate.

I guess I agreed with you (I said the same thing) but most people don't see it that way. They think that addiction is about will power.

I have a friend that told me that he became the star of his D1 college team because the person in front of him at the position (DB) became a coke addict. This guy was convinced that addiction was all about the lack of will power (which he had in abundance), so he thought he could snort with impunity. Well, of course his addiction consumed him (my friend was to scared to even drink at that time although he later became an alcoholic).

I'd also recommend checking out The Pursuit Of Happyness.

It's a good movie and it's interesting how his circumstances came about. It's even more interesting to see how he got out of his situation and why.

If I was homeless and I had a kid, I'd be doing everything possible to get back on my feet.

We talked about this movie the other day. I really don't know how I feel about it. Sure, there was a happy ending, but to me, I thought he was being kind of selfish and his son was made to suffer for his "persuit to get rich".

Yea, I have to agree using this movie is not the best example. He could have done much more to get his kid off the street faster, but he wanted to get the high paying job. For every one of these people who are trying to get the high paying job and make it their are 100 more who fail. He got lucky, but it was at the expense of his kid.:2cents:

I have a friend that told me that he became the star of his D1 college team because the person in front of him at the position (DB) became a coke addict. This guy was convinced that addiction was all about the lack of will power (which he had in abundance), so he thought he could snort with impunity. Well, of course his addiction consumed him (my friend was to scared to even drink at that time although he later became an alcoholic).

Intervention (the show on A&E) last night was about this guy that used to be a cyclist on Lance Armstrongs Tour De France racing team, and is now a crack addict. It was crazy.

Coincidentally, he was like a superstar panhandler. He made a big show of it, it was hilarious.

More time he can spend taking pictures of homeless people.......because that isnt creepy at all. :laugh:

I know right? That reminded me of the kid in American Beauty who likes to film trash blowing in the wind. Just a random, odd habit. I wonder how the homeless people he takes pictures of feel about being photographed. I'd ask him if he was still around to answer.

I actually work for the Greater Cincinnati Coalition for the Homeless. I am doing Americorps here (for those that don't know basically a domestic peace corps for 1 year instead of two)

I only peeked at the first page of this thread because I am really busy at work today, but I immediately wanted to respond.

The biggest reasons why people become homeless is because of lack of affordable housing.

Check this out from our website:

Employment

· Minimum wage is currently $6.85/hr. in Ohio

· The minimum wage in 1979, when adjusted for inflation, was $7.40

· 80% of low-wage workers do not get health insurance.

· The U.S. Conference of Mayors reported in 2006 that 13% of the urban homeless population was employed.

· In a number of other cities, the percentage is even higher. The National Coalition for the Homeless found in 2001 that 42% of people experiencing homelessness are employed. Many of these workers are employed by day labor agencies, characterized by low pay, no job security, no health insurance, and inadequate worker protections.

Affordable Housing

· The federal government says affordable housing should take no more than 30% of a person’s income.

· No one earning minimum wage in any US state can afford a one or two-bedroom apartment at Fair Market Rent.

· In 1999, the national two-bedroom housing wage was $11.08; in 2006, the national housing wage was $16.31, a 47% increase.

· Between 1973 and 1993, 2.2 million low-rent units disappeared from the market.

· The lack of affordable housing is widely considered to be the main cause of homelessness in the United States today.

· In Cincinnati, a person working a minimum wage job must work 72 hours a week in order to afford a two bedroom apartment at fair market rent and have it still be considered affordable by the government.

The information above was taken from the facts page on our website, here you go: http://www.cincihomeless.org/content/hfacts.html

This sucks that I haven't been able to check the thread out yet and see what has been discussed, but to debunktify some myths:

NOBODY willingly wants to become homeless, people do for various reasons whether poor decision making, a family illness in which medical bills have caused family's to become homeless, loss of jobs. Think about it. As a society we live paycheck to paycheck. I know for a damn fact that if I were to lose my job right now, there is NO way! I could make rent and BOOM evicted.

Because I am doing Americorps I my job ends in August, I have applied to atleast 15 different places and so far no luck...I am getting scared. The economy is so awful right now, nobody is hiring. If myself, a college educated male is having trouble, you damn well right some many of the homeless are.

If any of you are in DC and you see a homeless person selling Street Sense, a monthly publication newspaper dealing with social justice issues about homelessness in the DC are, please buy it. It is for an honest great cause. The way it works is a homeless person becomes a vendor with the National Coalition for the homeless. They purchase the paper from the Coalition for 25 Cents and they seek a dollar donation. I know many of you don't want to hand cash to a homeless person which is understandable, unfortunatley those hustlers give a bad rep for the homeless who are trying to get better. Anyway, buy this paper if you want to give but are hesitant. Off of one paper they make a net profit of 75 Cents. Make sure you ask to see there badge. I know here in Cincy our vendors have badges to prove they are legit to passersby. Our lead vendor last month sold over 1,000 papers. I have seen people get 600-900 dollars a month from selling the Street paper. This is a tremendous cause because the homeless obviously don't have the best resources for cleanliness, thus often eliminating their chances of getting a job due to poor hygiene. Supporting the local street paper helps them establish some financial support which is a beautiful thing.

AHHH there is so much more that I want to post but can't right now. Anyway I'm sure I'll be back on here later, cheers everyone, hopefully I didn't talk your heads off too badly!

I actually work for the Greater Cincinnati Coalition for the Homeless. I am doing Americorps here (for those that don't know basically a domestic peace corps for 1 year instead of two)

I only peeked at the first page of this thread because I am really busy at work today, but I immediately wanted to respond.

The biggest reasons why people become homeless is because of lack of affordable housing.

Check this out from our website:

Employment

· Minimum wage is currently $6.85/hr. in Ohio

· The minimum wage in 1979, when adjusted for inflation, was $7.40

· 80% of low-wage workers do not get health insurance.

· The U.S. Conference of Mayors reported in 2006 that 13% of the urban homeless population was employed.

· In a number of other cities, the percentage is even higher. The National Coalition for the Homeless found in 2001 that 42% of people experiencing homelessness are employed. Many of these workers are employed by day labor agencies, characterized by low pay, no job security, no health insurance, and inadequate worker protections.

Affordable Housing

· The federal government says affordable housing should take no more than 30% of a person’s income.

· No one earning minimum wage in any US state can afford a one or two-bedroom apartment at Fair Market Rent.

· In 1999, the national two-bedroom housing wage was $11.08; in 2006, the national housing wage was $16.31, a 47% increase.

· Between 1973 and 1993, 2.2 million low-rent units disappeared from the market.

· The lack of affordable housing is widely considered to be the main cause of homelessness in the United States today.

· In Cincinnati, a person working a minimum wage job must work 72 hours a week in order to afford a two bedroom apartment at fair market rent and have it still be considered affordable by the government.

The information above was taken from the facts page on our website, here you go: http://www.cincihomeless.org/content/hfacts.html

This sucks that I haven't been able to check the thread out yet and see what has been discussed, but to debunktify some myths:

NOBODY willingly wants to become homeless, people do for various reasons whether poor decision making, a family illness in which medical bills have caused family's to become homeless, loss of jobs. Think about it. As a society we live paycheck to paycheck. I know for a damn fact that if I were to lose my job right now, there is NO way! I could make rent and BOOM evicted.

Because I am doing Americorps I my job ends in August, I have applied to atleast 15 different places and so far no luck...I am getting scared. The economy is so awful right now, nobody is hiring. If myself, a college educated male is having trouble, you damn well right some many of the homeless are.

If any of you are in DC and you see a homeless person selling Street Sense, a monthly publication newspaper dealing with social justice issues about homelessness in the DC are, please buy it. It is for an honest great cause. The way it works is a homeless person becomes a vendor with the National Coalition for the homeless. They purchase the paper from the Coalition for 25 Cents and they seek a dollar donation. I know many of you don't want to hand cash to a homeless person which is understandable, unfortunatley those hustlers give a bad rep for the homeless who are trying to get better. Anyway, buy this paper if you want to give but are hesitant. Off of one paper they make a net profit of 75 Cents. Make sure you ask to see there badge. I know here in Cincy our vendors have badges to prove they are legit to passersby. Our lead vendor last month sold over 1,000 papers. I have seen people get 600-900 dollars a month from selling the Street paper. This is a tremendous cause because the homeless obviously don't have the best resources for cleanliness, thus often eliminating their chances of getting a job due to poor hygiene. Supporting the local street paper helps them establish some financial support which is a beautiful thing.

AHHH there is so much more that I want to post but can't right now. Anyway I'm sure I'll be back on here later, cheers everyone, hopefully I didn't talk your heads off too badly!

Right on bro. Keep up the good work over there:notworthy

Interesting, this sounds almost like a microfinance enterprise which is neat to see happening in the U.S.

Interesting thread. To be honest I always wonder this question because I see the same "bums" panhandling in my city... I bought the guy a sandwich one time but I don't believe that he is homeless... in Southern California there are a bunch of these people who have signs like, "I have AIDS and am homeless please help..." or "Homeless Vet, please help..." etc. and they tick me off because I don't see them doing anything about their situation. Don't even get me started on people who come up and solicit for money, I want to have some card that explains to them how to get Social Security benefits.

The insights on this thread were good, especially for those who work with the real homeless... its hard for people to tell them apart from the fake panhandlers.

Archived