Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade - Erasmus James

azmodeus13

So we may end up trading Mr Irrelevant 2009 for a complimentary passrushing end?

Smart move. Even Maddenites, Generation Ipod and confused soccer fa err skins fans in Europe should like the low risk high reward potential.

Seriously, quit it with the "Maddenites" and "Generation iPod." You constantly disrespect my generation and I'm tired of it. You post this crap all the time about how we don't know what we're talking about.

It needs to stop, now.

For those that did not click on the link in an earlier post.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/05/redskins_trade_for_erasmus_jam.html

Per JLC:

The deal is contingent upon James making Washington's 53-man roster. Could be a very favorable move if it works out and kudos to them for finally addressing the lack of depth in the trenches.

What seems to me as contradictory in his blog is:

James is in the final year of his contract, with a base salary of $1 million in 2009.

This is 2008 is it not? If so how is this his last year? Or did JLC just make a typo and his contract is expiring this year 2008 vice 2009?

Many NFL contracts have an option on the final year, either by the team, player or both. That's likely where the discrepancy is.

Very good move by the FO. If he doesn't make the team, we keep our 7th. If his knees hold up, we might have a starting level guy for a mere 7th.

Now let's find a DT or two.

So we may end up trading Mr Irrelevant 2009 for a complimentary passrushing end?

Smart move. Even Maddenites, Generation Ipod and confused soccer fa err skins fans in Europe should like the low risk high reward potential.

so you obviously have no idea how comp picks work then.

Absolutely. Knowing Palmero would rather have an older, injured-prone James over a healthy, younger Campbell should tell us something.

It's not really a matter of him "rather having" one over the other, since that was not the choice presented to him. However, it might lend some credence to the speculation that Palmero may not have gone to bat very hard for Calais Campbell when we had a chance to draft him.

There's NOTHING to not like about this move given our likely roster pre signing James. Even if we flat out gave them a 7th and we rated his chances as 50/50 to even pass the physical this is a no brainer move, even if our DL coach wasn't his college coach.

Creative, bold and aggressive move by our FO with no risk for a position of need. Doesn't get better than that and kudos to the FO.

Wouldn't Wilson and Evans be the fourth anf fifth ends? Given Daniels' ability to play inside, I wouldn't be surprised to see us keep five ends on the roster.

Vinny did say we needed a DT who could get into the backfield....

I'm thinking you could well be right.

I am underwhelmed. Sure, there wasn't much cost (I probably wouldn't care if they outright gave the Vikes a 7th rounder), but I doubt James has much upside. Please though, go right ahead and believe he'll be what the Viking's always hoped he'd be. I'd love it if it were true. It'd be nice if the Redskins would take the DL seriously some day.

I'm happy with this pick up, the key thing is to make sure James is 125% healthy when he first steps on the field for us. I dont care if it means him missing the entire offseason. Letz make sure he's healthy and start him out slow. I'd also like to see us add at least one more to player to our D-Line this offseason.

Absolutly a dead-on-balls-accurate philosophy there RIDEORDIE. This guy needs to be healthy, sturdy and most of all, confident in himself(that HE knows he is healthy) for us to realize his full potential. Just like R-mac and C-los, I hope we can give EJ the time and expert evaluation to come back 100%.

It might not happen this way though because camp is not all that far away and he might push too hard to impress the coaches because we have a draft pick riding on him. I'm not a coach, so I don't know. Only EJ knows how hard he can go without reinjuring his knee. Lets just pray he can do it.

To the FO....I salute you! A+ on this offseason. It just keeps gettin better and better.

Hail Skins

I like the pick up and have to agree that the FO got the cost benefit ratio correct in this trade.

I look at this as bringing in a solid player that hopefully can stay healthy. He was solid before he got hurt, but never really got the chance to be better than that.

Injuries have a way of getting into the mind of a player and some people are just plain unlucky and continue to get hurt.

I don't have a lot of expectations on this move, but a conditional 7th round pick makes it a smart move.

I cannot believe there are actually any fans that dispute this move. I am the biggest "keep all of our draft picks" guy, but the trade involves a 7th rounder!! A conditional 7th rounder!! If he makes our squad it is a great pickup, if he doesn't we don't lose anything. It would provide depth at a position of need if we get him; however, if he fails to make the team we don't lose our precious 7th round pick.

Whats not to like about this?

so you obviously have no idea how comp picks work then.

Comp picks??

We receive them when we lose a valuable free agent (cough Dockery) to a team and his contribution on that team and the NFL formula determines how high a compensation pick we receive.

As far as the conditional pick. If James makes the 53 man Roster or is placed on our IR for the season, the Vikings get our7th round pick which hopefully is for Mr. Irrelavant, the last pick in the draft for you neophytes.

IF he is 100% healthy (which I think will be true in 2009 more than 08) he is a Complimentary player to use with Andre Carter. :D

He will probably be put on IR, rehabilitated this year, and next year they will see if he can fill a role.

Agreed.

I'm thinking the same thing. It's a gamble but with the right input from our medical staff there's a good chance James will be ready to compete in 2009. Any action for James before the '09 season is a plus.

This gives us a chance to see what we have presently with the other guys. Good FO move, we have nothing to lose. A conditional 7th rounder in '09 if James passes his physical with us.

This makes a lot of sense. Give the guys knees a year off to fully rehab and bring him along slowly instead of gambling him out there now. James' next ACL will probably be his last.

:helmet:

This makes a lot of sense. Give the guys knees a year off to fully rehab and bring him along slowly instead of gambling him out there now. James' next ACL will probably be his last.

I think he is in the final year of his contract, thereby making this stash-away measure moot.

Comp picks??

We receive them when we lose a valuable free agent (cough Dockery) to a team and his contribution on that team and the NFL formula determines how high a compensation pick we receive.

As far as the conditional pick. If James makes the 53 man Roster or is placed on our IR for the season, the Vikings get our7th round pick which hopefully is for Mr. Irrelavant, the last pick in the draft for you neophytes.

IF he is 100% healthy (which I think will be true in 2009 more than 08) he is a Complimentary player to use with Andre Carter. :D

You suggested that we traded Mr Irrelevant for James. Mr Irrelevant is always the last player picked in the draft. The last player picked in the draft should always be drafted with a comp pick. You can't trade comp picks........

:D Glad I could help.

Archived