Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade - Erasmus James

azmodeus13

I like the move. We didn't give up much, and got another potential contributor on our aging D-line. James in only 25 years old. I remember wanting him to slip to the Redskins 2nd 1st round pick in 2005 that we used on Campbell (I was a Ramsey supporter at the time).

Some old profiles on him:

http://www.sportspool.com/football/draft/112.php

Erasmus James #11 prospect in 2005 NFL Draft.

Erasmus James NFL Draft Bio

Erasmus James a 6-4 ", 263 lbs, Defensive End who was an NCAA college standout for Wisconsin in 2005. Erasmus James who would grow up in his hometown of Pembroke Pines, Florida showed inklings of the enormous potential he possesses at an early age. Family, friends, college and NFL scouts alike felt that he would become an NCAA college football standout player and maybe even turn that into a quality NFL career. Erasmus James has demonstrated enough skill to be a top rated NFL prospect and we look forward to seeing great things from him in the future!

http://football.about.com/od/playerprofiles/p/erasmusjames.htm

Overview:

Erasmus James has a nice combination of quickness and power that allows him to consistently make plays in the opponent's backfield. He plays with a non-stop motor, has good athleticism, and has the ability as a pass rusher to take over a football game.

James has good stamina, great quickness, and tremendous athleticism for a player his size. He beats blockers with a quick first step, delivers a nice punch on initial contact, and has the upper-body strength to fight through double teams. He also uses his long arms to maintain separation, has an excellent closing burst, and the speed to track down ball carriers in run pursuit.

If he has a weakness, it's that he is not real strong at the point of attack, and could be engulfed by the bigger offensive tackles in the NFL. But he does a decent job of recognizing and playing the run, holding contain on the outside, and making consistently solid tackles. He lacks ideal bulk, so he must increase his lower-body strength to better anchor the end of the line.

There are also concerns about his durability. He battled injuries at Wisconsin, missing the entire 2003 season with a hip injury.

Projection:

If post-season workouts and physicals don't reveal any problems or long-term concerns associated with his hip injury, Erasmus James should be selected in the first half of the first-round of the 2005 NFL Draft.

We might be in line for a succesful trade ! He has the potential to explode and be a disruptive force opposit Andre Carter , and for a conditional 7th round pick ... its well worth a try. As long as his legs are fully healed and he comes in at 100% we might see his physical play shown in his rookie season come back.

May 27, 2008 5:24 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

The Redskins' acquisition of Erasmus James makes sense for all parties. James' time in Minnesota was up. He was always going to be a disappointing first-round pick there. He gets a fresh start in Washington without all those expectations. Jared Allen replaced him, and then some. Time to move on.

In James, the Redskins add a player with the potential to give them depth at a critical position. James' knee troubles will likely prevent him from becoming the player the Vikings envisioned. But if he becomes even a role player in Washington, the Redskins would presumably be happy to part with the 2009 seventh-round choice. Being a role player wasn't going to be good enough for the Vikings given all they had invested in him as the 18th player chosen in the 2005 draft.

While adding James, Washington released rookie free agent Dorian Smith, also a defensive end. James is 25 years old (his left knee probably feels quite a bit older) . The remaining eight defensive ends on the Redskins' roster average nearly 27 years old, led by 35-year-old starter Phillip Daniels. The line now consists of ends Daniels, Andre Carter, Rob Jackson, Kevin Huntley, Chris Wilson, Demetric Evans, Alex Buzbee, Tommy Davis and James.

This is a fantastic move! I see literally no downside for this at all. Worst case scenario is if he makes the team, we lose a 7th, and then he sucks or gets injured and we cut him this year or next. Boo hoo.

Terrific job by the FO.

So far the front office seems to be doing a great job this off season. This is no risk move with high reward. I remember wanting James back in the 2005 draft and if he pans out we get him for 7th round pick. If he doesn't, we don't lose a thing. His d-line coach is with us and unlike Calais Campbell, he thinks Erasmus James was worth acquiring. That speaks volumes about what Palermo thinks of both players.

People are saying that his is potentially a very good move. I'd say it is a great move, either way. Perhaps the perfect kind of trade.

If we get a contributor for a 7th rounder, it is a win. If he bounces back and shows the type of potential and upside that everyone here obviously hopes for, it is a HUGE win. But perhaps the biggest win is that the Skins have built-in buyers remorse. The minute they decide he can't contribute (sometime before the end of camp), we cut him loose and give up nothing in the process.

It costs nothing to take a look at a past first rounder with upside. If the FO keeps making deals like this, one (or more than one) will pan out, eventually.

I love it, and while I hope I'll love it for how it worked out one day, I love it even if it doesn't. It was a low cost, no risk, creative move that could payoff tremendously if things break right... Or not. Plus, it gives us something to chatter about.

I'm happy with this pick up, the key thing is to make sure James is 125% healthy when he first steps on the field for us. I dont care if it means him missing the entire offseason. Letz make sure he's healthy and start him out slow. I'd also like to see us add at least one more to player to our D-Line this offseason.

Wow, this is exactly the kind of move winning franchises, successful front offices, make. This guy was highly rated coming out of college, even as early as a top 10 pick. His injuries are what made him a bust for Minny. Oh well, a 7th round pick? Who cares. It's 100% worth the gamble.

Awesome trade...i believe that we had to trade for him so that he would not hit the free agent market, which is understandable to get a YOUNG former first round pick that will be comfortable with the d-line coach...this could turn out really well for us esspecially for an aging line that needs a little more depth. go skins:applause::logo:

Great move by the FO. I would like to know what the reinjury was to his knee in Dec 2007 and if it required another surgery. Otherwise if his ACL is ok from the initial operation we have the potential for a steal since it takes approximately 2 years to recover from an ACL injury.

Archived