Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade - Erasmus James

azmodeus13

I am underwhelmed. Sure, there wasn't much cost (I probably wouldn't care if they outright gave the Vikes a 7th rounder), but I doubt James has much upside. Please though, go right ahead and believe he'll be what the Viking's always hoped he'd be. I'd love it if it were true. It'd be nice if the Redskins would take the DL seriously some day.

The Vikes thought Smooty was crap but we ALL know how that turned out.

Hail

Originally Posted by REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE -- I'm happy with this pick up, the key thing is to make sure James is 125% healthy when he first steps on the field for us.

This will be THE challenge. He held out during his rookie year and then reported out of shape and took months to catch up. He has had 3 knee operations, which suggests that he rushes recovery - doesn't have good understanding about what it take to succeed physically in the NFL.

Maybe James reunion with defensive line coach John Palermo is the medicine he actually needs.

A previous poster's question about how the PUP list works is interesting and how that effects this trade. Can he be squirreled away until next year if need be? Or does he have to make the 53 man roster at the start of this year? If he is on the PUP, at the start of the season, what happens to the conditional 7th round pick?

Overly optimistic? Possibly. Excited about a potential steal rather than having a high priced free agent that doesn't pan out - sure.

I get tired of the moves that never seem to work out just like everyone else - this one just won't cost us much of anything if it doesn't work out - even if he makes the 53 man roster and fails.

Do I hope he tears things apart and shows what he should have out of college? Sure. Do I believe it? Nope. Not after 3 surgeries. Do I think he has more speed than Daniels might at 35? Yep - it's possible. Is he similar as far as Daniels and his size for run support. Yep. Can Daniels move inside on passing downs and allow James to maybe add more speed on the outside and allow Daniels to use his better than DT speed on the inside for penetration - especially if James proves to be better than average? Sure.

Did we get all that possibility for a conditional 7th round pick? Yep.

Can many people name the 7th rounders picked for the last 3 years without looking them up? How many have made the team and made as much of a difference as a healthy James could? :)

Good deal.

It's a win-win for us really.

Either we have:

A) A former 2005 1st rounder who is profcient as a pass rusher when he's healthy, still on his rookie contract. We lose a 7th rounder in 2009

B) A guy who just can't stay healthy and make the squad. We still have Wilson, Daniels, Evans, Jackson and Buzbee etc. to look at. And we get our 7th back.

We haven't ripped up his current contract and paid him lloyd or Arch money (yet) and really we lose nothing out of the move. The only thing we get is potential upside b/c James is good when he's healthy.

This is a move that you expect from a good GM, this is NOT a move you expect the Skins would have done in the past.

Vinny is doing a helluva job so far....hope this pans out and James can get 10 sacks and allow the other DL have a shot to get single coverage.

Wait a minute. Did we just give up a draft pick for someone who was already on the waiver wire? Uh.....

If he hits the waiver wire, teams with worse records than us have priority, and one of them surely would have grabbed him. Thus the 7th rounder, to prevent him from hitting the waiver wire, we trade for him.

It's conditional? What's the condition?

I'm going to be pissed if we just threw away a draft pick on a guy who was going to be free (off waivers) and who failed his own team's physical.

While I like the idea of giving him a chance to redeem himself, I feel like we just--yet again--bid against nobody and gave up a pick for a guy that we could have had for free.

If we turns out, then it is a windfall for us. But if he had anything, I think the Vikes could have got something for him.

Maybe have the facts before jumping the gun.

A 7th round for a potential 1st round talent is worth the gamble. The 7th round pick is only if he makes the team. We couldn't have had him for free, because worse teams get priority off the waiver wire, and one would have.

Much different than previous FO duncery. With a 7th round pick, you're not getting a guy with 1/10th his talent. A gamble, but a smart gamble.

This is a good trade. We give up next to nothing and only positives can come from James if he stays healthy.

I got to watch him in the Big Ten since I went to Penn State and in 2004 he knocked out PSU's top 2 quarterbacks in the same game. One was a dirty helmet to helmet hit, but nonetheless he was a beast. If he stays healthy I think we will have a solid player to help our pash rush.

You suggested that we traded Mr Irrelevant for James. Mr Irrelevant is always the last player picked in the draft. The last player picked in the draft should always be drafted with a comp pick. You can't trade comp picks........

:D Glad I could help.

:helmet:

thank you! you want to trade the Mr. Irrelevant pick assuming you mean we make it to the superbowl and win and have the last pick in every round. Well the 7th round comp picks are the last picks of the draft not the Giants pick (example this past year) and even so you can't trade comp picks.

I'm conflused. If he failed a physical examination Friday in Minnesota, why would he pass one six days later in Washington? Is he a SUPER-fast healer?

Think back to John Lynch when he was released from Tampa Bay, he was then picked up by Denver after failing the Tampa Bay physical.

This is a good trade. We give up next to nothing and only positives can come from James if he stays healthy.

I got to watch him in the Big Ten since I went to Penn State and in 2004 he knocked out PSU's top 2 quarterbacks in the same game. One was a dirty helmet to helmet hit, but nonetheless he was a beast. If he stays healthy I think we will have a solid player to help our pash rush.

Let's just hope he stays healthy. I don't think he'll ever be a prime timer like Freeney, Peppers, or Ware but he could be a solid every down type of guy. No matter what we don't lose much. Another heady move by our wiser FO.

I would go as far as to say James will be at 100% by training camp and if he returns to his college form in any way will be a huge contributor on the DL by the seasons end. I will go ahead and jump on the band wagon now, if he is healthy James will be in the top three on the skins in sacks this year.

This is a decent overview:

Erasmus James has a nice combination of quickness and power that allows him to consistently make plays in the opponent's backfield. He plays with a non-stop motor, has good athleticism, and has the ability as a pass rusher to take over a football game.

James has good stamina, great quickness, and tremendous athleticism for a player his size. He beats blockers with a quick first step, delivers a nice punch on initial contact, and has the upper-body strength to fight through double teams. He also uses his long arms to maintain separation, has an excellent closing burst, and the speed to track down ball carriers in run pursuit.

If he has a weakness, it's that he is not real strong at the point of attack, and could be engulfed by the bigger offensive tackles in the NFL. But he does a decent job of recognizing and playing the run, holding contain on the outside, and making consistently solid tackles.

I can't think of anything else to add that hasn't already been said, so i'll give the front office some :applause: for making a low risk move with a good deal of potential upside. If James gets healthy during the season and turns into an every down player, then the front office deserves :notworthy

Essentially, we gave up a worthless pick for a player who could be decent. Its not like we were gonna get him for free. And if he doesn't even crack the roster, than we don't even lose out on the 7th rounder.

The Old Redskins would have sent a 5th rounder this year and a 5th next year.

]']Essentially' date=' we gave up a worthless pick for a player who could be decent. Its not like we were gonna get him for free. And if he doesn't even crack the roster, than we don't even lose out on the 7th rounder.

The Old Redskins would have sent a 5th rounder this year and a 5th next year.[/quote']

Agreed. Even if James doesn't work out, at least we've shown improvement in not overpaying for players.

Now if we could only fleece a team NOT named "Jets," then I'll be happy.

]']Essentially' date=' we gave up a worthless pick for a player who could be decent. Its not like we were gonna get him for free. And if he doesn't even crack the roster, than we don't even lose out on the 7th rounder.

The Old Redskins would have sent a 5th rounder this year and a 5th next year.[/quote']

I don't get why more people don't get this.

Its essentially a win-win for us.

And the Vikings don't really lose out either, they were going to release him and they got a 7th rounder out of it. I'm not too worried about giving that away.

I was thinking 98

maybe 65?

Let him know he needs to earn the spot, give him #54 and have him put his butt on the line (53 man roster, see?). Let him know he is 7th round camp fodder until "he earns his feathers"

I think it is a good roll of the dice, smart move.

The one night I decide not to check on Skins news! I think this is a great deal. The FO has done a very good job if you ask me. If James doesn't pan out, there's no loss.

If he turns into an effective rusher, our corners just got a lot better.

Archived