Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade - Erasmus James

azmodeus13

Also possibly puts the passing up of Calais Campbell in a slightly brighter light.
Absolutely. Knowing Palmero would rather have an older, injured-prone James over a healthy, younger Campbell should tell us something.

Absolutely. Knowing Palmero would rather have an older, injured-prone James over a healthy, younger Campbell should tell us something.

James is 25, was once the 18th overall pick in '05, and fits what we need as a 4-3 defense. When he was in college, he had a much more accomplished college career with 124 tackles (25.5 for losses), 18 sacks, 28 quarterback hurries, 7 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, and 6 pass deflections.

Campbell is 21 sure, but his college career wasn't nearly as distinguished as James, is more of 3-4 defensive end, and has been tabbed as lazy and unmotivated. Plus he would've cost us a 2nd round pick, while James has only cost us a 7th rounder.

Personally, I think I'm willing to gamble a 7th rounder on a guy who could stay healthy and contribute, over a 2nd rounder over a guy who not be a fit for our system and could easily become a bust.

Wait a minute. Did we just give up a draft pick for someone who was already on the waiver wire? Uh.....

No, from what I understand, we give up a 7 IF he makes the team. James was not on the waiver wire when this trade was made. Vikings now could pick up a 7 IF James makes the team. The Redskins would have had to wait through 20 other teams before we'd have gotten a look.

I don't see them getting rid of Phillip Daniels, Daniels isn't anything special anymore but he plays the run well and knocks down the occasional pass. Plus he can move inside on passing downs. It would be a big risk to cut a solid guy like Daniels for an injury-plagued player coming off 2 knee surgeries. My guess is Chris Wilson would be the odd man out.

If he works out, I suspect Daniels is the odd-man out.

Doubtful. You'd cut the only other guy we have who's really capable of playing DE on first downs and short-yardage situations because of someone who's played 8 games in the past two years? If James got hurt yet again, we'd be starting Wilson or Evans and asking them to consistently stop the run. Sounds like a disaster.

Despite the physical concerns, this is a great move. If it pans out, we get what is at least a minor upgrade to our pass rush and better depth on the line for a seventh rounder. If it doesn't, we lose nothing. Sounds like a win-win to me.

He will probably be put on IR, rehabilitated this year, and next year they will see if he can fill a role.

I'm thinking the same thing. It's a gamble but with the right input from our medical staff there's a good chance James will be ready to compete in 2009. Any action for James before the '09 season is a plus.

This gives us a chance to see what we have presently with the other guys. Good FO move, we have nothing to lose. A conditional 7th rounder in '09 if James passes his physical with us.

I don't see them getting rid of Phillip Daniels, Daniels isn't anything special anymore but he plays the run well and knocks down the occasional pass. Plus he can move inside on passing downs. It would be a big risk to cut a solid guy like Daniels for an injury-plagued player coming off 2 knee surgeries. My guess is Chris Wilson would be the odd man out.

Nah, they like Chris Wilson too much...maybe Demetric Evans?

Great move by the FO:applause:

Not trying to be a jerk here, but there's a huge difference in spending a conditional 7th round pick in a future draft vs spending a 2nd round pick in the current draft. I did think that it said something that we didn't take CC with the Fred Davis pick but I don't think that you can compare these 2 situations. Just too much of a difference in value of picks.

Having said that, I think this was a very good move by the FO, especially keeping him off waivers where he'd likely have been snatched up before us.

While we are at it, I would LOVE to see us claim Odell Thurman off waivers, or if he has already cleared it, sign him to an incentive laden contract.

Imagine getting 2 former 1st day picks who have both shown flashes of potential in their brief careers, at low risks who could add much needed depth to this Defense...in late May.

I am really starting love the moves this front office has made since the Zorn era began.

Nah, they like Chris Wilson too much...maybe Demetric Evans?

Great move by the FO:applause:

Wouldn't Wilson and Evans be the fourth anf fifth ends? Given Daniels' ability to play inside, I wouldn't be surprised to see us keep five ends on the roster.

Archived