Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade - Erasmus James

azmodeus13

Great pick up!!

I'm a die hard Penn State fan and I vividly remember playing Wisconsin back in 2004 when Erasmus James knocked our starting quarterback out of the game on our very first play from scrimmage, then ended up knocking out the 2nd string guy about 6 plays later.

Although injury prone, the guy has incredible potential and is well worth a 7th. Go ahead, Vinny!!!

I like this trade. If it works out, awesome. If it doesn't... We lose a 7th round pick.

Much better than the trading 3rd and 4th rounders for Brunell/Lloyd/Duckett.

*Sigh* Ok you guys don't get it...if he pans out we lose a 7th round pick, if he does not, we give Minnesota NOTHING. That's why it is a conditional 7th round pick.

For those that did not click on the link in an earlier post.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/05/redskins_trade_for_erasmus_jam.html

Per JLC:

The deal is contingent upon James making Washington's 53-man roster. Could be a very favorable move if it works out and kudos to them for finally addressing the lack of depth in the trenches.

What seems to me as contradictory in his blog is:

James is in the final year of his contract, with a base salary of $1 million in 2009.

This is 2008 is it not? If so how is this his last year? Or did JLC just make a typo and his contract is expiring this year 2008 vice 2009?

O.k. five pages of responses and I have yet to see hardly anything negative about this guy.

He's been in the leage for 3-years and has about as many sacks as years in the league.

Why does everyone think this is a gift from the Vikings? Because we gave them a "conditional" 7th rounder? Is this another Jerome Mathis?

If he can be so great for us... why was he so bad for the Vikes?

He was waived James.Why not just pick him off waivers instead of handing the Vikings a draft pick. He'll probably be IR before the end of the season

OL needs more help than DL.

Because (for the TEN THOUSANDTH time in this thread :) ), he probably wouldn't have made as far as the Redskins if he "travelled' the waiver wire.

Some other team most likey would've snagged him on his potential alone.

He was a first round pick due to his pash rushing skills but had injury issues. If he doesn't work out we give up nothing but if he comes into his own (for contract or "I have to prove I'm better than Minnesota thinks" reasons) we got a 1st round talent for a 7th round pick

Better gift than giving up picks for Lloyd, Arch, Duckett, Canidate or others that can be named.

http://min.scout.com/2/757226.html

There were two key factors that contributed to his lack of success with the Vikings: 1) an ill-advised contract holdout as a rookie; and 2) three knee injuries.

James held out in training camp as a rookie and missed the first 19 practices before agreeing to a five-year contract worth $9.8 million, with just under $7 million in guaranteed money.

He wasn't in football shape when he did report and he really missed out on his chance to make an immediate impact as a rookie. He ended up playing in 15 games in 2005 (starting nine), and collected four sacks.

Coming out of college, he was an explosive pass rusher with the ability to change momentum. If healthy, he has the build, quickness and speed of a pure, weakside, pass-rushing defensive end in the mold of a Chris Doleman. He can be explosive off the ball with good club and swim moves. He plays hard and is a good competitor.

James cannot stay healthy. I think Buzbee is the guy to watch. I think he could make a run at supplanting Daniels before too long.

Based on what I think if anyone is going to supplant Daniels its Chris Wilson despite his weakness against the run he provides more pass rush. I just hope Wilson bulked during the offseason and continues to during training camp.

O.k. five pages of responses and I have yet to see hardly anything negative about this guy.

He's been in the leage for 3-years and has about as many sacks as years in the league.

Why does everyone think this is a gift from the Vikings? Because we gave them a "conditional" 7th rounder? Is this another Jerome Mathis?

If he can be so great for us... why was he so bad for the Vikes?

Nobody is saying this guy will be another Reggie White or Dexter Manley in DE ability.

Not yet. ;)

Folks are just excited about his potential.

He was a 1st round selection, reuniting with his college d-line coach.

Besides, if he doesn't work out, the Redskins lose nothing.

As I said before, it's win-win.

Not a bad move at all. Low "down" side - worse that could happen is we lose 7th rounder when he makes the roster and then we find out he really is injury prone. I don't care much that he was a 1st round pick but, it will very interesting to see what happens when he is re-united with his old coach.

:helmet: The Rook

This can potentially be a fantastic move by the coaches and F.O. If our staff thinks he will be healthy, then why not support the move? James can be a solid addition to a need position, and has proved to be somewhat productive when healthy. Worst case scenario, we get back our 7th . . . so really, this is not a big deal. IF he makes the team, I'm sure he'll contribute and be worth more than that 7th.

Not a bad move at all. Low "down" side - worse that could happen is we lose 7th rounder when he makes the roster and then we find out he really is injury prone. I don't care much that he was a 1st round pick but, it will very interesting to see what happens when he is re-united with his old coach.

I don't care as much about the 1st rounder as I am excited about the talent level and potential that made him a first round pick. If we got him before he could hit the waiver wire and get picked up by someone else before we got our turn and could potentially see that talent work for us....

Worth a 7th rounder ***IF*** we have to pay it out

I would love to see Buzbee, Wilson or James push Daniels. Can only result in a better line all the way around

This guy had and still has great potential....and we got him for a conditional 7th rounder!! If it pans out we will look like geniuses. But, since the skins finally addressed Dline with a somewhat good player with potential (who was a 1st rounder) please shut up about the FO not addressing it.

Carter

Daniels

James

Buzbee

Wilson

Evans

We got plenty now....

The trade was made possible because of the holiday weekend. With no waiver wire on Friday because of the Memorial Day holiday, the Vikings couldn't process James' release until 4 p.m. on Tuesday.

Over the weekend several teams inquired with James' agents about putting in a waiver claim on the injured defensive end.

The Redskins were forced to act because off-season waiver claims are processed in reverse order of a team's record from the previous season, meaning 20 teams had priority over the Redskins. By making the conditional trade, the Redskins controlled James' rights.

Archived