Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Still's right, doping is endemic to combat sports.  One of the few places they test for doping in boxing is the Olympics and the boxers have fail rates almost as high as the cyclists.

Doping only seems worse for the UFC because Jon Jones is such a damned idiot.

You've got to be kidding. The list of failed MMA drug test goes far beyond Jones. Look it up and come back.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Are boxing fans talking trash?

When's Mayweather getting in a cage?

Wonder why.

I hear 25% less sodium Lawry's is more beneficial for your health. Give it a try. Floyd Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers and earners in history. He doesn't need an octagon as some strange form of validation/trolljob, or a payday. And he isn't dumb enough to make himself look like an idiot, thinking he can go with trained elite MMA fighters. Most people aren't. That's why they stay in their respective lanes.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

its apples to oranges really, not worth comparison.  The UFC used to be a more consistently entertaining product IMO, but the last few years, they are starting to mirror some of the same practices that dragged boxing down. 

Not sure I'd agree with more naturally talented either.  They have chosen to spread their skillset over multiple disciplines as required, but on a baseline level, there is a lot of sloppiness in MMA.  I watch more combat sports than any human probably should and the quality of skill in MMA is declining.  Its ****ing phenomenal at the highest level, but there is a ton of sludge before you get there

You're right, it is apples and oranges.  Aside from the personalities involved, that was the big draw of this fight.  Everyone has wondered how long a top striker from the UFC could go against a boxing legend at one time or another.  I still think it says something though about the nature of each sport that McGregor hung tough for almost 10 rounds when you know that if you did the reverse scenario and put Ward in the octagon with GSP or someone like that, he'd get submitted immediately.  It's evidence of how MMA is a much more complex sport.

You're right that the UFC has been declining the past few years, but I think that's mostly due to a period of unusually heavy attrition in it's best stars and they were not adequately replaced by the Brock Lesnars and Jon Joneses of the next generation.  The other thing is the UFC fights so much more often and the top guys fight each other more so it hurts records and yeah, they have a lot of cards to fill and do so with substandard fighters.  But the frequency of the events are a plus for me.  The really good boxing fights are just too infrequent.  And sometimes the most vicious and entertaining fights of the event are between two half-schooled no names on the undercard.

9 minutes ago, DM72 said:

I don't even see any boxing fans talking trash. The only trash talking I see is coming from MMA fans. 

No, but we really should be. This entire "fight" was a slap in the face to the sport of boxing, and boxing fans. We deserve better. The hype for this was sickening. People damn near running state propaganda trying to tell us how McGregor could win this, was insulting. 

• Like 3

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

No, but we really should be. This entire "fight" was a slap in the face to the sport of boxing, and boxing fans. We deserve better. The hype for this was sickening. People damn near running state propaganda trying to tell us how McGregor could win this, was insulting. 

Even though I ordered it, I agree. And Oscar was right. 

In any other scenario, no way do the Nevada Athletic Commission sanction a fight between fighters that are 49-0 vs 0-0. We all know that this was about money and nothing else. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DM72 said:

Even though I ordered it, I agree. And Oscar was right. 

In any other scenario, no way do the Nevada Athletic Commission sanction a fight between fighters that are 49-0 vs 0-0. We all know that this was about money and nothing else. 

Oscar is never right. Oscar just mad that he will have made no money off the two biggest ppv fights of all time

never forget that Oscar said McGregor should have fought Canelo instead of Floyd.  Oscar doesn't give one damn about the purity of the sport

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

Oscar is never right. Oscar just mad that he will have made no money off the two biggest ppv fights of all time

never forget that Oscar said McGregor should have fought Canelo instead of Floyd.  Oscar doesn't give one damn about the purity of the sport

He had an agenda, but what he was saying was absolutely right. 

I hope this fight doesn't destroy the buy rate for Canelo/GGG.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I hear 25% less sodium Lawry's is more beneficial for your health. Give it a try. Floyd Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers and earners in history. He doesn't need an octagon as some strange form of validation/trolljob, or a payday. And he isn't dumb enough to make himself look like an idiot, thinking he can go with trained elite MMA fighters. Most people aren't. That's why they stay in their respective lanes.

Right so some boxing fans are talking **** when one of the greatest of all time beat a dude who's never done it before, and won't go into ufc match.

Got it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Why would he get in the cage? He a boxer, lol.

Why are your feelings hurt over this?

McGregor's punching power tho lol

giphy.gif

Feelings definitely aren't hurt. Don't give a crap about ufc and honestly would prefer boxing be a big time sport again. My generation didn't really get that, kind of sucks.

Just think it's funny anyone would gloat or not have respect for McGregor for going up against one of the greatest. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

Right so some boxing fans are talking **** when one of the greatest of all time beat a dude who's never done it before, and won't go into ufc match.

Got it.

We're not talking ****. Just speaking truth to power......

Or lack thereof 

19 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Wonder how that Irish member that posts for Connor fights in the mma thread thinks this is gonna go.

:ols:

Hes the ultimate homer for his fellow countryman. 

Am I? :ols:

I'm not even a massive McGregor fan at all. Just an awful lot of nonsense spoken about him in the MMA thread. People saying he clearly lost the Diaz 2 fight and stuff. 

Delighted that farce is over with tbh. Crazy the number of people who bought into it as a potentially competitive fight. Glorified spar for Floyd.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

Got it.

McGregor had EVERYTHING to gain by this fight; money, image, spotlight.

Mayweather in a UFC ring, where is the upside?

Is UFC going to pay him $300,000,000 to step into that ring? No

Does Mayweather have anything to gain careerwise by stepping into the octagon? No

Is there any way Mayweather wins in that fight? No

So why should he do that OTHER than the fans need something to argue about?

BTW, I'll go on record by saying this, to improve boxing and UFC we don't need more fights between "one of the greatest" and "someone who's never done it before." 

They need champion vs champion in their respective classes and disciplines. You do not raise the bar by lowering it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love boxing and MMA. Which is part of the reason I felt uneasy about this fight happening.

Nothing about the fight itself surprised me. Floyd looked like a 40 year old slower version of himself and Conor looked like a guy who has never had a pro boxing match in his life. Make no mistake Floyd's aggression was only happening because he knew Conor had nothing for him after about 4 rounds. Conor has no legs his punches were limp, and Mayweather's corner knew this. He felt no danger walking Conor down which is something he hasn't done to an opponent in over a decade.

We can stop all the "yeah but if Floyd got in the octagon" nonsense. No one has ever claimed Floyd could win an Mma match and he never called out an MMA champ and said he could beat them. Conor did this because he knew the loss was worth the pay day.

The biggest trick Conor pulled on fight fans was convincing the masses that he was the MMA equivalent of Mayweather. It's simply not true. He's very good, but he is not on the level of a 49-0 boxer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I don't think McGregor getting into the ring and lasting 10 rounds against a 40 year old Mayweather suddenly makes MMA better then boxing. They are two totally different sports. McGregor against prime Mayweather would have gotten demolished three or four rounds earlier.

I do think McGregor's size and reach gave Mayweather some problems early and with a LOT more training McGregor MIGHT turn into a decent boxer but he's got a long ways to go in terms of learning technique and discipline. He's lucky he wasn't penalized points for all those back to head punches he was throwing. And he left himself open quite often. Against a more early round aggressor he could have gotten KO'd in round 3.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tshile said:

Got it.

I like Conor but this fight played out the way most boxing fans thought it would. Why would Floyd go fight in the UFC? He has only studied one discipline (basically since birth). LOL! He was retired, traveling the world, minding his business and counting his millions when Conor CALLED him out.  No need to get into the octagon. Plus, he's 40. Too old to be trying to do that now. Floyd and Conor both know they could generate millions if they fought. They were right. It will never happen, but if Floyd went to the Octagon, he wouldn't last 1 round. Even a younger Floyd would get submitted or KO'ed by knee or head kick.

Mentioning Floyd gets you the public's attention. Everybody does it. DeLaHoya, Bob Arum, Manny Pacquiao, Rhonda Rousey all did the same thing, call Floyd out to get more publicity for their fight or fighters. Everyone that called him out took an "L" in their next fight or had a subpar showing. It's all about money, nothing else. 

1 hour ago, DM72 said:

He had an agenda, but what he was saying was absolutely right. 

I hope this fight doesn't destroy the buy rate for Canelo/GGG.

It might. Depends on folks financial situation. I know times are tough for some. MayMac was $99 for HD. I'm sure Canelo/GGG will be the standard $69/$59 price.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Feelings definitely aren't hurt. Don't give a crap about ufc and honestly would prefer boxing be a big time sport again. My generation didn't really get that, kind of sucks.

Just think it's funny anyone would gloat or not have respect for McGregor for going up against one of the greatest. 

Who is gloating?

• Like 1