Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Making A Righteous Thread--Your Official "NNT" InfoCenter

Jumbo

• 2 weeks later...

Right now, the BIGGEST problem is this:

Forum Rules

4. Please post your message in the appropriate forum. Familiarize yourself with each forum description. Please be considerate and respectful to our visitors who frequent particular forums to gain knowledge on particular topics. Resist the temptation to post irrelevant topics on an inappropriate forum to achieve a wider audience. Moderators may move your post if it more relevant to another forum.

The Stadium

Enjoy speaking about the Washington Redskins in friendly confines amongst your fellow Skins fans. Hail Skins! See ARCHIVES forums below for threads from 2001-2005

Around the NFL

A separate forum for links to published articles about the NFL (teams, players, news, etc) but unrelated to the Washington Redskins.

I don't know. I'd say one of the biggest wastes of bandwidth are people who think the only way to respond directly to a poster is to quote their entire 15 paragraph long block of text.

Gee whiz!! Just go in those words and delete anything not absolutely necessary to responding. Damn.

I don't know. I'd say one of the biggest wastes of bandwidth are people who think the only way to respond directly to a poster is to quote their entire 15 paragraph long block of text.

Gee whiz!! Just go in those words and delete anything not absolutely necessary to responding. Damn.

as they say around here, "QFT" :cheers:

Even though this has been asked and answered many times over the past few weeks, it's good to put this out there again for those who may have, or will miss it.

M.E.T. . Abbreviation for Mod Edited Title. Takes up less space in the title that way, yet still let's posters know that it was changed by a Mod. For those who have their thread titles changed, take a look at what you originally used as the title and what it was changed to. This should let you know, roughly, what we're looking for here.

I noticed it got really bad after a big win or like last night when Dallas lost. I admit, i posted a thread that you couldn't tell what it was about until you jumped in. It was then merged (i think) and i was like, "whoops".

It will be a good thing. There were about 5000 "GW to be Next HC" threads.

Hail to the Mods!!!:notworthy :notworthy

don't you do that :)

:jk: :jk:

Here's an opinion from a newbie. I think it's pretty harsh to NNT someone for a 1st time offense. Why not give someone one warning? Why shame a newcomer by giving them the "badge of shame" (or whatever you called it)? It wouldn't make ES feel very inviting or friendly. If someone posts numerous threads within an hour that warrant NNT, then do it with a nice note saying you're temporarily haulting NT privileges until the person has a better understanding of ES' rules. Otherwise, why does someone need to be punished so harshly for a one-time offense (even if it's their first post)? I hope you guys go easier on your kids (if you have any), and I sure hope you aren't a criminal judge!

ETA: I can't imagine how much time it takes to mod this board. Thanks for all of the hard work that the mods do!

Woooooow there lose cannons....for Pete's sake slow down a minute there fellas. Are you actually expecting people to read the directions before using that shiny new Christmas gift they've just unwrapped? What the heck is wrong with you people?

I suppose next you'll be telling us there will be consequences for their actions. :mad:

:silly:

Here's an opinion from a newbie. I think it's pretty harsh to NNT someone for a 1st time offense. Why not give someone one warning? Why shame a newcomer by giving them the "badge of shame" (or whatever you called it)? It wouldn't make ES feel very inviting or friendly. If someone posts numerous threads within an hour that warrant NNT, then do it with a nice note saying you're temporarily haulting NT privileges until the person has a better understanding of ES' rules. Otherwise, why does someone need to be punished so harshly for a one-time offense (even if it's their first post)? I hope you guys go easier on your kids (if you have any), and I sure hope you aren't a criminal judge!

ETA: I can't imagine how much time it takes to mod this board. Thanks for all of the hard work that the mods do!

Your opinion matters, noob or not. :)

We usually don't give someone a NNT the "1st time." It's more like a DUI--they've done it a lot before finally getting busted--it reflects a habit. It turns out Pete did call it a badge of shame, though the smilies he used and common sense would indicate he was being overly-dramatic for effect (though a little needling from member to member for being NNT'ed may occur :D ). So whoever wants to seriously see it as "shaming", that's not our issue, nor is anyone's "embarrassment", though if that helps motivate someone to be aware, fine.

Warnings? We give literally dozens in threads throughout the forums,and in sticky threads frequently, every month, year in year out. Plus, we make it clear it's the member’s responsibility to learn and follow the rules when they register. It is also mentioned in various threads every month as we post. But in the end, you are the adult and are held accountable. :cool:

We really do give a lot of breaks, but they shouldn’t be assumed nor expected. There are way too many members for moderators to provide customized services to all who wish it, though we often manage to do just that, as you’ll know after you have been around here awhile.

No offense, but the part about our kids is silly (besides, I traded mine for whisky) and as for NNT (which is temporary) being harsh--that is one opinion. Finally, thank you for your kind words. :) Most of the other moderators here are former criminals and unloved children who rarely heard compliments. :(

Mods, can I make a suggestion?

What do you guys say about giving each new member a provisional period? Something to the effect of making a member wait until they have a certain amount of posts before they can start a new thread. I'm sure you guys see it too... But I can't tell you how many times a thread that covers the same stuff is started by someone who comes on, doesn't look around and starts a thread. I just think it will help moderate the board and let the new members see how things go here before they start their own threads.

You guys do fantastic on this board. This is the only message board I visit becase this is a great place to visit. Thanks for everything.

Your opinion matters, noob or not. :)

We usually don't give someone a NNT the "1st time." It's more like a DUI--they've done it a lot before finally getting busted--it reflects a habit. It turns out Pete did call it a badge of shame, though the smilies he used and common sense would indicate he was being overly-dramatic for effect (though a little needling from member to member for being NNT'ed may occur :D ). So whoever wants to seriously see it as "shaming", that's not our issue, nor is anyone's "embarrassment", though if that helps motivate someone to be aware, fine.

Warnings? We give literally dozens in threads throughout the forums,and in sticky threads frequently, every month, year in year out. Plus, we make it clear it's the member’s responsibility to learn and follow the rules when they register. It is also mentioned in various threads every month as we post. But in the end, you are the adult and are held accountable. :cool:

We really do give a lot of breaks, but they shouldn’t be assumed nor expected. There are way too many members for moderators to provide customized services to all who wish it, though we often manage to do just that, as you’ll know after you have been around here awhile.

No offense, but the part about our kids is silly (besides, I traded mine for whisky) and as for NNT (which is temporary) being harsh--that is one opinion. Finally, thank you for your kind words. :) Most of the other moderators here are former criminals and unloved children who rarely heard compliments. :(

i got nnt my first time

i got nnt my first time

First, I used the word usually :doh:

Second, according to your user notes, you did it twice on the same day.

Third, the way to get out of NNT have been posted many many many times and is even contained yet again in this very sticky thread if you'd just read the first page carefully. It may sound harsh, but the simple truth is people usually remain in NNT for the same lack of awareness that lands them there in the first place.

Fourth, prior to seeing this post, I answered your PM as soon as I logged on arranging the solution for you. The PM by itself would have been the better way to go. Given the facts, seeing this merely makes me question my merciful leanings ;)

People---my suggestion is to read the rules and read the damn sticky threads about the rules and policies for a few pages, and carefully. That's why they are there--to inform and help you protect all your membership privileges :)

It's way more beneficial than asking someone to take of your business for you or giving yourself over to that inner lemming. :cool:

First, I used the word usually :doh:

Second, according to your user notes, you did it twice on the same day.

Third, the way to get out of NNT have been posted many many many times and is even contained yet again in this very sticky thread if you'd just read the first page carefully. It may sound harsh, but the simple truth is people usually remain in NNT for the same lack of awareness that lands them there in the first place.

Fourth, prior to seeing this post, I answered your PM as soon as I logged on arranging the solution for you. The PM by itself would have been the better way to go. Given the facts, seeing this merely makes me question my merciful leanings ;)

People---my suggestion is to read the rules and read the damn sticky threads about the rules and policies for a few pages, and carefully. That's why they are there--to inform and help you protect all your membership privileges :)

It's way more beneficial than asking someone to take of your business for you or giving yourself over to that inner lemming. :cool:

im sorry i was just upset over the whole nnt thing is why i responded....did i rly do it twice? anyway if you decide to give me the rights back i promise i'll be more careful and more importantly i wont make a big deal about it, again, i apoligize i made the duplicate threads and it wont happen again

Relax, Chris, you're good. I used the smilies for a reason, and I was making a point for everyone to see. The staff usually knows what is going on at ES. You can go by the PM I sent you. :)
It's cool, i just dont want the nnt to last the entire off-season lol

Hey guys, please forgive my naivete, but is there any way to obtain a list of mods and/or staff members so I know who not to offend in the future? No sarcasm intended.

Ok here's a little help.

Figure out who the Mods are here. Here's a hint, they're listed in a thread in the Feedback forum. ;) Then find their posts in this thread. You'll then find the answers you seek.

I try not to start treads if at all possiblr. Chances are whatever your wanting to talk about already has a thread or can be adressed in another. There are 50000000000000000000000 hire GW threads. Its beyond ne why someone would feel the need to start anymore.

Archived