Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Making A Righteous Thread--Your Official "NNT" InfoCenter

Jumbo

Bubba, I value your contributions to this board, but there are times that you duplicate threads simply because someone beat you to the punch with breaking news. It doesn't happen often, but for you to be excited about the enforcement of a rule you break is a bit hypocritical.

I am not being hypocritical at all

as TK pointed out very well, most dupe threads come from a timing issue where the others thread hasn't posted until after I start my thread, the next reason for dupe posts on my part is the new NNT ruling.

Many of my Dupes come when I do a search or scan of the top page, and because the thread isn't formatted right, I don't detect it before I post the thread, it is very frustrating to take the time to be responsible and do a search only to still have a dupe thread

that is why I am so happy :) Now maybe people will pay attention and take the time to post things correctly to save us all some time and trouble

BTW I am human as well, I make stupid mistakes, like scanning the ATN forum, or Stadium forum by mistake when I meant to scan the other, or post a story in the Stadium, that I meant to post only in Breaking News... and when I do that, as soon as I realize my mistake, I try to correct it, but if it is beyond my capabilities, I notify a mod with a link so they can correct it

also if I was put on NNT, Haphazard would probably go postal on the mods :laugh:

No need to criticize Bubba. He busts his a to post Skins news here for all of us. If anything, everyone knows Bubba will post a news item within a few minutes of it being out.

Instead, direct your attention to the fans that try to beat him to the punch, when they know it will likely be posted soon. Do they think they will win a large screen tv for beating Bubba by thirty seconds?

I don't mind anyone wanting to post news thread, I am glad that we have so many Fans who want to share info with each other... Just when some don't title the thread properly causing the Dupe threads.. it just makes me create more work for the mods

and while I have the mystique of being online 24/7 I am really not, and I miss stuff when it posts until later

It is amazing Bubba even has a wife with all of the work he does for this site. She must get livid at times.

actually she enjoys me staying out of her hair :laugh:

It's not hypocrital at all. What you fail to miss is that if Bubba doubles posts a news thread, it's usually within a few minutes of someone beating him to the punch in posting it. Since the creation of the NNT grouping, we've always said that we wouldn't NNT anyone for that.

Let me preface this by stating I truly appreciate what Bubba does for this message board. Whenever I need breaking news about the Redskins, I know I can look forward to it being posted on this board. Also, I appreciate what you are trying to do, God knows I would not want to moderate a board of this magnitude.

Now having said that, I do find it hypocritical for Bubba to make such a simple statement as, "its about time". About time for what? To me it sounds like he is happy that some will be NNT'd for doing something he does as well, regardless of the circumstances.

Now, since it has been explained to me that he works hard at what he does, I can see where you all may not think it is hypocritical. But, in the statement below we have a newbie stating he was off by only a little bit when posting what he thought was breaking news.

Now granted I don't know the whole story behind this newbie, but if he posts very shortly after someone else posts, why does he get the NNT and someone who has been here a while doesn't? Above you stated you wouldn't do that.

I hope you realize that it has a hint of impropriety when you punish some for the very same thing you state is a simple misunderstanding for others.

Bubba, once again, I appreciate your tireless efforts, but I thought your statement was hypocritical.

You know I have been sending email to the Webmaster about my NNT status. :laugh:

Ok so I was new and happend to post 2 seconds slower then someone else and the second time it got merged and I was NNT.

I have always tried to make my titles relevent to the thread. I hope I can get my status back too. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Maybe you should just leave breaking news up to Bubba and HapHazard. In their absence maybe substitute "News Breakers". Punish everyone who tries to post new news since you would have personnel in place for it and sooner or later they will get the hint. But this attempt seems doomed from the start.

Now having said that, I do find it hypocritical for Bubba to make such a simple statement as, "its about time". About time for what? To me it sounds like he is happy that some will be NNT'd for doing something he does as well, regardless of the circumstances.

did you even read MY reply?

I am happy that those who DON'T FORMAT the thread title correctly causing for mass dupe threads are going to be NNT, and because of it, more people will take the time to learn to do it correctly, to help prevent time wasting Duplicate threads

you are mistaken for what my post meant

Now, since it has been explained to me that he works hard at what he does, I can see where you all may not think it is hypocritical. But, in the statement below we have a newbie stating he was off by only a little bit when posting what he thought was breaking news.

first two different scenarios, I was referring to people who do not format the title of news threads properly, not posting Dupe threads in general

second, knowing the mods, and how they operate... no one gets punished for making a simple mistake they couldn't help... never, and no one gets punished without earning it... what they poster might have thought was just a few second delay probably was the fifth time the article had been posted, and probably wasn't his first offense. it's not the mods place to make punishments a matter of public record to save the person further embarrassment, unless they are forced to do so

Now granted I don't know the whole story behind this newbie, but if he posts very shortly after someone else posts, why does he get the NNT and someone who has been here a while doesn't? Above you stated you wouldn't do that.

I hope you realize that it has a hint of impropriety when you punish some for the very same thing you state is a simple misunderstanding for others.

and since you don't know the whole story, I would suggest knowing both sides before making a huge leap that the mods have done something wrong, or showing favoritism

I am on staff and know some of the inner workings, and the rules... and trust me 99.99999% of the time the person complaining, doesn't tell the whole story

Bubba, once again, I appreciate your tireless efforts, but I thought your statement was hypocritical.

maybe if you actually understood my response instead of assuming what I meant you wouldn't feel that way

Maybe you should just leave breaking news up to Bubba and HapHazard. In their absence maybe substitute "News Breakers". Punish everyone who tries to post new news since you would have personnel in place for it and sooner or later they will get the hint. But this attempt seems doomed from the start.

or maybe people should just learn the rules and learn how to post news threads properly, if they want to share info with others, so the board will run smoother and everyone can enjoy their post, and not cause headaches for the mods, or clutter the board.

I have no ego, and don't care who post news threads before me...as long as I can tell that they were there, so I don't post it again by mistake. I am glad I have help from Haphazard, when I was in the hospital a while back, and had to take some time away from the board, he and JimmiJo stepped up to make sure everyone still got their redskin news fix, no one else wanted to do it, or didn't stick with it..and I would love to have others who will step up and be reliable

WOW............ some people here are thick as bricks.

People, the concept isn't up for discussion. It has been laid out fairly clearly by TK, and Bubba in regards to Bubba breaking news and that situation in general. I don't understand why people feel they have to try to argue the point over and over again when things have been made perfectly clear.

After all the work that you've put into this message board, how can you NOT be promoted to a mod yet?

Bubba does this site an invaluable service, and to have him take on the duties of a moderator would hamper the work as a staff member he already does.

Same goes for Hap...........

Bubba does this site an invaluable service, and to have him take on the duties of a moderator would hamper the work as a staff member he already does.

Same goes for Hap...........

What if you just gave him the abilities that every mod possesses without any of the responsabilities?

I'd say that he's pretty deserving...

No offense guy's but that "shameful badge" you refer to is pretty cynical. Why not create an environment where people are allowed to express their opinions? If threads are duplicated, or you don't like the content then issue a warning with what you perceive is a the problem. If it happens again maybe NNT them for three months or something. If it keeps happening then punish them. I personally made a mistake once and posted what I thought was an innocent thread about Sean Taylor reporting to mini camp and others found misleading and I got NNT'd. I wrote a note to the moderators but never got a response. I think motive should be a big part of what determines being NNT'd. Some of the moderators joke about it being a badge of disgrace, but really it is no joke at all. Sometimes, and believe me it doesn't happen often, but I actually have something smart to say but have no forum in which to share. I think the important thing to remember is that we are all on the same team and all want the same thing.

What if you just gave him the abilities that every mod possesses without any of the responsabilities?

I'd say that he's pretty deserving...

While he's quite deserving, what would he need the abilities for if he wasn't supposed to use them ? Why have him waste his time merging and moving threads, when he could be scanning hundreds of media outlets for info that everybody can enjoy, which he does so well.

If it aint broken, don't fix it.

While he's quite deserving, what would he need the abilities for if he wasn't supposed to use them ? Why have him waste his time merging and moving threads, when he could be scanning hundreds of media outlets for info that everybody can enjoy, which he does so well.

If it aint broken, don't fix it.

I just thought that it might be helpful since he has to send a PM to a mod whenever he accidently duplicates a thread. If he had the same merging abilities as you, he could simply merge it himself. More independance for Bubba, that's all.

No offense guy's but that "shameful badge" you refer to is pretty cynical. Why not create an environment where people are allowed to express their opinions? If threads are duplicated, or you don't like the content then issue a warning with what you perceive is a the problem. If it happens again maybe NNT them for three months or something.

To be quite honest, your off base here in your post. This enviroment has always let anybody express their opinions. We rarely get into content issues. For every person on NNT, there's 50 more that could have been. You have no clue on how many people get spoken to off the forum. We don't just throw it around for the sake of being pricks. We cut people a lot of slack, and they still continus to ignore the rules. People are too lazy to even do a search, or look at the first few pages before starting a thread too often.

As for a time limit, as it has been stated here, there is no time limit. All one has to do is contact a staff member stating they realize what they did, and will do their best to not do it again.

If it keeps happening then punish them. I personally made a mistake once and posted what I thought was an innocent thread about Sean Taylor reporting to mini camp and others found misleading and I got NNT'd. I wrote a note to the moderators but never got a response. I think motive should be a big part of what determines being NNT'd. Some of the moderators joke about it being a badge of disgrace, but really it is no joke at all. Sometimes, and believe me it doesn't happen often, but I actually have something smart to say but have no forum in which to share. I think the important thing to remember is that we are all on the same team and all want the same thing.

We can't look to deeply into things like motive. More often then not, it's just laziness. In your ST thread you said you got excited and just posted the info after people jumped all over it. Not a ton of content.... "He's here", but had you actually posted some more there, it more then likely would have gotten merged with no NNT involved. The point is, if you would have controled your excitment for all of a minute and a half, and looked around, there would have not been any problem, and maybe you would have added a comment to the existing thread. The rules are pretty clear.

I don't think the NNT lable is any sort of joke what so ever. It's there to make a point, and send a message. No more, no less. Yes, we all want the same thing, a forum that is enjoyable to read, with no clutter for dup threads, and solid content to forster great discussions.

also if I was put on NNT, Haphazard would probably go postal on the mods :laugh:

You have that right. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One of the reasons I rarely post in the stadium is that by the time I post to the RBN its usually posted by someone else in the stadium. It cuts into my fishing time to have to do all that searching. :silly:

During my few years here I have not personally witnessed any poster get unfair treatment.

Bubba and Hap provide an invaluable service by continuously posting skins related articles in the Breaking News Forum. Articles that Bubba thinks are important are posted in the Stadium as well. That allows people like me the opportunity to read what is happening with the team without having to search every media outlet to get some answers. I don't read everything because some of it is just the same info regurgitated. Bubba gets a little homerish in the ATN, but that is a different subject matter. :)

For the people that have to post articles just use the search function and scan the first page of the Stadium. News on this site gets posted very quickly and you really have to monitor the site everyday to keep your self informed and up to date on what news is posted and what news is not. A side note, the previous two sentences have been stated on this site many times in the past. For some unknown mysterious reason, some people just don’t seem to actually comprehend what it says.

If you look closely a lot of the old posters don’t start threads anymore in the Stadium because it is just not worth it. First, Bubba and Hap usually have it covered and if not, fifteen new persons are trying to all post the same breaking news resulting in some mega mega super duper luper merged thread. Secondly, especially in the off-season, people just post a thread about some random thought they had that they felt had to be told to everyone on the site.

Lastly, the site has rules. The people that run the site want people to follow the rules. Rules are good for everyone and keeps the site running, and for most people enjoyable. For those people that can’t post new threads should have read the rules more carefully. Personally, as a simple poster, I get tired sometimes of the poor thread titles and meaningless threads created that lack substance and provide no real information. For people that feel the need to get their thoughts out in public should just create their own Blog and invite people that maybe interested in that subject matter.

Pete,

I appreciate the response and you are right.. in retrorespect I probably should have been a little more descriptive, but I never got any message from any staff member or any type of warning to alert me of my mistake. All I was simply asking was for maybe a warning first. I DID post a personal message to you guy's and never got a response. I assure you that although my post may have been misleading it was in no way intended to offend or clutter the site.

that, and the fact there wouldn't be a single poke fan or many eagle fans left if I had access to the button :laugh:

Pete,

I appreciate the response and you are right.. in retrorespect I probably should have been a little more descriptive, but I never got any message from any staff member or any type of warning to alert me of my mistake. All I was simply asking was for maybe a warning first. I DID post a personal message to you guy's and never got a response. I assure you that although my post may have been misleading it was in no way intended to offend or clutter the site.

Now isn't Pete a little sweety for taking you off of NNT?:hump:

Archived